Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

On 3/7/2019 at 8:35 AM, ns8401 said:

Oh and NO orange...

Orange is fine if implemented properly and in the correct region (desert, tropics). Scripps V1 wasn't implemented properly.

On 3/10/2019 at 12:49 AM, ns8401 said:

WXYZ has begun running promos for “7 Action News at 4pm”... looks like somebody got the memo about “The NOW” and it’s going bye bye...

99% chance I'm rading too much into this, but is The Now actually getting the axe?

2 hours ago, hfiles said:

Could it be something where they're trying to prevent confusion in areas where the markets overlap?

Other companies like Nexstar and Tegna have no problem putting the same graphics on overlapping markets though. It sounds like a KGUN thing, not a Scripps thing.

2 hours ago, hfiles said:

Could it be something where they're trying to prevent confusion in areas where the markets overlap?

WTMJ & WGBA seem to handle using the same GFX without someone confusing them (outside their weather branding).

12 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Other companies like Nexstar and Tegna have no problem putting the same graphics on overlapping markets though. It sounds like a KGUN thing, not a Scripps thing.

Good point -- the overlap occurs in Wisconsin with WGBA Green Bay and WTMJ Milwaukee too. Cities in between get both.

16 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

I wonder why Scripps hasn't fired the KGUN management team? I guess the KGUN management team hasn't given Scripps a legitimate reason to fire them

42 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

I wonder why Scripps hasn't fired the KGUN management team? I guess the KGUN management team hasn't given Scripps a legitimate reason to fire them

If they somehow can continue making money, than they aren't going to fire them ;)

• Like 2

17 hours ago, DetroitTVNews said:

Not just WXYZ wants to be done with "The Now". WEWS has just dropped "The Now" name. In their case, they're now "News 5 at 4 PM".

I'm curious what WGBA and WTMJ would do if "The Now" gets axed. Would they just extend the 6:00 news and keep it under the Live at 6/6:30 moniker, or show a completely different program?

So what this appears to be is simply renaming The NOW, using the regular news graphics during local news, filling most of the show with the usual national cut-ins (no graphics used) and then some nifty green-screen graphics customized for the station. So The NOW is alive but in another form that folks can identify with. Some of the new custom transitions look pretty nice actually but overall this is a letdown.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/5/2019 at 10:54 PM, Ramona said:

Heads up the station's community outreach, charity and social programs.

Ah so not really an editorial director...

Was this an on-air position?

Edited by ns8401

On 4/9/2019 at 9:28 PM, JCB4TV said:

The websites of the two newest members of Scripps, WTXL & KXXV, are now in the Scripps layout!

Out of curiosity, does Scripps archive/import the station's previous website files and convert it to fit the new one? 

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like Scripps' weird obsession with white/subtly colored panels on sets has made its way to WTMJ.

Not sure when it changed, but the set used to always be deep blue to match the monitors. The light blue section behind the monitor (which looks less blue on-air) used to have blue duratrans in them after they were swapped from their original collages of newsroom and control room pics... Now you can see the LED strips behind the plexi panels. Must have been a quick change.

4 hours ago, LexTVandRadio said:

It’s official today. 

BFC1B566-4D24-4B8D-A3CD-9228AF6119B0.jpeg

Being that the Scripps ownership is official for the now-former Cordillera stations (e.g., WLEX & KATC), I have to ask: On WLEX (as of today), does the newscast conclude with an in-text copyright mentioning Scripps, or does Scripps’ lighthouse closing animation appear at the end of the newscast, or both???

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, J1975am said:

Being that the Scripps ownership is official for the now-former Cordillera stations (e.g., WLEX & KATC), I have to ask: On WLEX (as of today), does the newscast conclude with an in-text copyright mentioning Scripps, or does Scripps’ lighthouse closing animation appear at the end of the newscast, or both???

Here is WLEX's

• Like 1