Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

22 hours ago, who?cares said:

Scripps really likes using Renderon (do they still exist?) I’m interested in seeing what they would look like. 

RenderON tends to be flashy, so I'm curious to see how they would do a "flat" look.

19 hours ago, C Block said:

Glad to hear they're finally moving on with new graphics. The ripoff of the 2011 CNN look hasn't aged that well.

You're probably the first person I've heard say that. They were good enough and aged well enough that multiple stations were trying to copy the look years after it came out.

1 hour ago, MidwestTV said:

You're probably the first person I've heard say that. They were good enough and aged well enough that multiple stations were trying to copy the look years after it came out.

It looked nice at the time, and I’m sure you could dig up a post from me in which I would have been very complimentary of KMGH adopting the Scripps look. But it now looks three steps behind everyone else in 2019. The chip/gizmo box was never a good idea, and I don’t think it has always translated well onto all of the stations that Scripps has purchased in the last few years. More than any other station group, so many of the Scripps stations look like they dumped their legacy logo into the default templates with few modifications and called it a day. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, C Block said:

It looked nice at the time, and I’m sure you could dig up a post from me in which I would have been very complimentary of KMGH adopting the Scripps look. But it now looks three steps behind everyone else in 2019. The chip/gizmo box was never a good idea, and I don’t think it has always translated well onto all of the stations that Scripps has purchased in the last few years. More than any other station group, so many of the Scripps stations look like they dumped their legacy logo into the default templates with few modifications and called it a day. 

The package has been around so long that graphic design trends and needs have very clearly bypassed it, much the same way that the WNBC "red line" was at the end of its run. Also, 2012, when this pack was made, feels like eons ago from a news industry POV (both the news itself and the industry).

It's actually kind of a parallel for the people that made it, too. RenderOn is very clearly a shop that has gotten behind the curve in their work. It's also been two years since they did any broadcast work, a revamp for KLAS.

1 hour ago, C Block said:

WTMJ/WGBA at least throw on some kind of identifier for some big stories into that box, along with their Packers coverage, but usually when I watch, that box effectively becomes dead space that I completely ignore. The Media General Jimmy Hart version that Nexstar has dispensed with aged just as badly, and sometimes the gizmo box would glitch so we'd see the off-air dimensions screen or it would appear in full on-screen if the producer accidentally switched to it.

6 hours ago, MidwestTV said:

RenderON tends to be flashy, so I'm curious to see how they would do a "flat" look.

Let's be clear, though. The Scripps package was inexpensive because it's not an original design. It's a reworked Renderon IndiaTV package - https://www.renderon.com/#/india-tv/

rg05-(0-00-00-17).jpg

Headlines 1.jpg

06_Aap Ki Adalat.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ramona said:

It's actually kind of a parallel for the people that made it, too. RenderOn is very clearly a shop that has gotten behind the curve in their work. It's also been two years since they did any broadcast work, a revamp for KLAS.

Two years? What have they been doing then?

16 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Let's be clear, though. The Scripps package was inexpensive because it's not an original design. It's a reworked Renderon IndiaTV package - https://www.renderon.com/#/india-tv/

Well I'll be damned. Never knew that. Now I look at the Scripps pkg and see something bastardized.

On 1/13/2019 at 1:25 PM, Weeters said:

In this case, I was told they made up an internal document outlining the kind of stuff they were looking for, with a couple of examples (surprise, it was all the flat, Tegna-style graphics packages in the industry right now.) That goes out to companies that respond with some proposals. They then pick whatever proposal works best.

That's how we end up with all those set design proposals people like to come on here with and post about, saying how they found what's totally going to be WXXX's next set, posted three years ago on some random guy's website.

I have a feeling the FCC would have some problems with the content WXXX would no doubt be putting out

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Weeters said:

Renderon has a history of reusing previous packages. The old Journal package was recycled from an older WDIV package. It was just kind of simplified so Journal could rebuild it for VizRT.

And yet, the final version WDIV wound up using was butchered enough to where it no longer looked like the same package Renderon pitched to them.

Even WBRZ's former look was a recycled package that turned out to be an improvement over Scripps' first standardized look back in the mid-2000s.

• 2 weeks later...

Well...

WXYZ has “new” morning show lower thirds and a new morning show logo to go with them:

All other graphics (full screen etc.) is the same standard stuff. The flying box is static in this look too which is nice... the moving logo stuff is getting stale. They are trying very hard to emulate GMA. Their anchors have also adopted some of David Muir’s odd speaking style in the evenings. They’ve always done this kind of copy the mothership stuff.

8BDE1339-3CC3-47EC-906F-203A82BB3295.thumb.png.ffb15c4bd284fd39acfff88a4ddd1574.png

Edited by ns8401

• 1 month later...
On 1/14/2019 at 1:29 PM, MidwestTV said:

This seems to be flattest thing I've found that RenderON has done. Which I wouldn't not oppose as a full on news look. 
04.jpg06.jpg

11 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

WTXL and KXXV now have the Scripps website design. Probably the graphics will be next, although if Scripps is getting a new package they may be a good place to test them out.

I've heard they are coming in the fourth quarter.

4 hours ago, who?cares said:

This seems to be flattest thing I've found that RenderON has done. Which I wouldn't not oppose as a full on news look. 
04.jpg06.jpg

I've heard they are coming in the fourth quarter.

The NOW’s graphics to all and to all a good night!

seriously... they already use an extremely flat look for those... it wouldn’t be a stretch to repurpose them on a broad scale... 

Oh and NO orange...

Edited by ns8401

On 3/6/2019 at 3:07 PM, GoldenShine9 said:

WTXL and KXXV now have the Scripps website design. Probably the graphics will be next, although if Scripps is getting a new package they may be a good place to test them out.

That wouldn't be fair to KGUN. The Journal package turns ten years old in a few weeks... I know they haven't had it that long, but still.

It needs to go.

• Like 2

On 3/7/2019 at 7:59 PM, Weeters said:

That wouldn't be fair to KGUN. The Journal package turns ten years old in a few weeks... I know they haven't had it that long, but still.

It needs to go.

I'm still baffled as to why the weather graphics changed to Scripps but the Journal package stayed... So tacky.... 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

I'm still baffled as to why the weather graphics changed to Scripps but the Journal package stayed... So tacky.... 

Seems like Scripps is treating KGUN like a bastard stepchild even though they are next to KNXV. I'm always waiting for KGUN to completely get the Scripps graphics and Inergy. I've been waiting since before KIVI got them.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Conrad said:

Seems like Scripps is treating KGUN like a bastard stepchild even though they are next to KNXV. I'm always waiting for KGUN to completely get the Scripps graphics and Inergy. I've been waiting since before KIVI got them.

I'm wondering if it's something like the WMUR/WCVB situation that Hearst has in the Boston market....

• Like 1

On 3/10/2019 at 1:49 AM, ns8401 said:

WXYZ has begun running promos for “7 Action News at 4pm”... looks like somebody got the memo about “The NOW” and it’s going bye bye...

Interesting. Doing a quick google search, WPTV was looking for a producer for the show not too long ago. 

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/wptv-the-now-producer-at-the-e-w-scripps-company-1072845171

Wonder if other stations will follow? 

AB91B2DC-850E-4355-944C-A62532B3D34F.png

19 hours ago, bhratbrat said:

Are you sure that its Scripps management or is it probably KGUN management not wanting to go to those graphics for whatever reason.

Could it be something where they're trying to prevent confusion in areas where the markets overlap?