Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

Once Sinclair-Tribune goes through (if it does...), then it's Nexstar's move to swallow up some smaller fish to catch up.

It's about time the investors made them shape themselves up. Even though Tegna has passed them in terms of wackiness, It was Scripps who first self-inflicted their model of stupidity to their stations (by eschewing proven shows for cheap, inbred fare)

Of course if Gamco gets their way, sooner or later Scripps will first swallow someone else (like Meredith) only to get sucked away by Nexstar.

I have a feeling we're seeing Media General 2.0 again....

• Like 1

I feel like the industry can't take much more consolidation. We've already seen the likes of Belo, LIN, and Media General vanish into the maws of other groups - not to mention all the private equity groups cashing out (e.g. Four Points, Newport, Barrington, Local TV). If Scripps (and of course Tribune) did so too that might be a breaking point.

Once Sinclair-Tribune goes through (if it does...), then it's Nexstar's move to swallow up some smaller fish to catch up.

It's about time the investors made them shape themselves up. Even though Tegna has passed them in terms of wackiness, It was Scripps who first self-inflicted their model of stupidity to their stations (by eschewing proven shows for cheap, inbred fare)

Of course if Gamco gets their way, sooner or later Scripps will first swallow someone else (like Meredith) only to get sucked away by Nexstar.

Consolidation for consolidations sake is how local tv will end up like radio. Controlled by a few penny pinching companies with huge piles of debt

• Like 1

Is it a different show there? I’d love to see the WPBF version... maybe it’s actually interesting...

You must be picky. You were used to Ellen on WPTV; why do you want her back on that station? Is it because they have higher news ratings?

WPBF is in 720p, WPTV is 1080i; probably more for the visual picture quality than anything (and there are some oddball cases like WBAY, where some syndicated programming seems to have this weird picture effect that resembles that awful 'filmize' effect awards shows have tried here and there).

If Nexstar wants to buy another fish may I suggest Morris. Nexstar would be a HUGE improvement for those stations.

Consolidation for consolidations sake is how local tv will end up like radio. Controlled by a few penny pinching companies with huge piles of debt

Consolidation is happening in TV the same way it happened in radio for the same reason it happened in radio and newspapers. Declining revenue and declining margins due to a dwindling customer base. Fewer people are watching local TV because of ever growing options and an increasingly fractured public. Fewer clients are buying ads. And when they are, they're paying less money because they can do math.

This is the reason every station group is decreasing staffing levels. Why every station group is investing in technology that helps eliminate jobs. Why everybody's favorite anchor is now working PR for a hospital or government entity. The groups everyone loves. The groups everyone hates. The groups that put out a consistently good product. The groups that put out a halfassed product. They're all doing the same thing and they're all looking to merge because scale is one of the only ways to maintain margins.

Grow up everyone. You're in a dying industry. Clicking your heels and chanting to yourself there's no place like 1996 isn't going to get you anywhere. I've lost enough friends in the business over the years and know enough people who are still in this godforsaken business to tell you to keep your resume in good enough shape to get you a job in the real world. If you zoom out far enough to see the future, you can see that we're all screwed. The indignant, immature state of denial that this entire forum seems to exist in makes my eyes nearly roll out of their sockets.

• Like 6

Consolidation is happening in TV the same way it happened in radio for the same reason it happened in radio and newspapers. Declining revenue and declining margins due to a dwindling customer base. Fewer people are watching local TV because of ever growing options and an increasingly fractured public. Fewer clients are buying ads. And when they are, they're paying less money because they can do math.

This is the reason every station group is decreasing staffing levels. Why every station group is investing in technology that helps eliminate jobs. Why everybody's favorite anchor is now working PR for a hospital or government entity. The groups everyone loves. The groups everyone hates. The groups that put out a consistently good product. The groups that put out a halfassed product. They're all doing the same thing and they're all looking to merge because scale is one of the only ways to maintain margins.

Grow up everyone. You're in a dying industry. Clicking your heels and chanting to yourself there's no place like 1996 isn't going to get you anywhere. I've lost enough friends in the business over the years and know enough people who are still in this godforsaken business to tell you to keep your resume in good enough shape to get you a job in the real world. If you zoom out far enough to see the future, you can see that we're all screwed. The indignant, immature state of denial that this entire forum seems to exist in makes my eyes nearly roll out of their sockets.

Amen!

• Like 3

Isn't Nexstar already at the cap?

• 5 weeks later...
E.W. Scripps said today that it has completed new multi-year affiliation agreements with ABC and CBS Corporation for stations in several markets.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/113844/scripps-renews-abc-and-cbs-affiliations

Interestingly, the CBS agreement only covers WTVF. Does KMTV (Omaha) have a separate agreement?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

WEWS is getting crap for its approach to attempt to interview a rape victim in Newburgh Heights (a suburb in Cleveland, OH). The video on FTVLive shows the police chief approaching the crew, them telling them to leave. The same police department posted it on its Facebook page, but later deleted it, through angry residents slamming WEWS in reviews remain on the page. This comes as the city is suing the station over its investigation regarding the police and traffic tickets.

Interestingly, the CBS agreement only covers WTVF. Does KMTV (Omaha) have a separate agreement?

Yes. The affiliation agreement for KMTV is much older and doesn't expire until September 2020. The affiliation agreement for WTVF was set to expire this month. My guess is that the KMTV agreement is more station owner friendly. Scripps probably isn't in a hurry to renegotiate that deal.