Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

I think it’ll be picked over in pieces in a bankruptcy or liquidation at some point...

If anything, Scripps will go towards a restructuring bankruptcy, not a liquidation bankruptcy.

Seriously, the company is not going to be peeled apart. WXYZ or other stations will not be sold off separately. Far more likely the company will wind up like Granite... holding on just for the sake of holding on.

• Like 1

KB runs a 30 minute form of The Now at 7:00, which is their de facto local newscast in a market that doesn’t have any newscasts in that time slot.

Isn't KB is a Journal station turned into a Scripps station?

If anything, Scripps will go towards a restructuring bankruptcy, not a liquidation bankruptcy.

Seriously, the company is not going to be peeled apart. WXYZ or other stations will not be sold off separately. Far more likely the company will wind up like Granite... holding on just for the sake of holding on.

Umm... Granite was eventually peeled apart wasn’t it?

As far gone as these stations are and the amount it would take to make them hum again why would you restructure rather than getting the cash and walking away?

I don’t see the incentive there... it’s not unlike Sears-Kmart... what fool would try to restructure them and what would they get out of it?

Umm... Granite was eventually peeled apart wasn’t it?

As far gone as these stations are and the amount it would take to make them hum again why would you restructure rather than getting the cash and walking away?

I don’t see the incentive there... it’s not unlike Sears-Kmart... what fool would try to restructure them and what would they get out of it?

The same fools who are trying to restructure iHeart and Cumulus... John Malone, for one.

• Like 2

Exactly, but the problem was that Scripps didn't give them the option when they should have

If The Now continues to sink in Cleveland, would WOIO start beating out WEWS in the late afternoon and early evening slots, plus 11pm?

Not really. The Now killed off whatever ratings momentum KSHB had, and WXYZ did all that they could to make it as close to a straight newscast as possible.

WKBW has done decently with the Now at 7pm, where no other local newscast runs in that timeslot in the market (considering that KB lost Wheel and J! under the tail end of Granite mismanagement to WIVB, that isn’t saying much of anything).

WEWS recently swapped PnB with Steve Harvey - moving Steve back to 3pm - in a move reminiscent of their bailing on Dr. Oz a few years ago.

"Steve" on WEWS is now going up against "Family Feud" - hosted by Steve Harvey - on WOIO. So it's Steve vs. Steve in Cleveland!! Weren't both shows not supposed to air opposite each other?

• Like 1

If The Now continues to sink in Cleveland, would WOIO start beating out WEWS in the late afternoon and early evening slots, plus 11pm?

It's a good question and I would venture out and say yes but let's wait and see what WKYC and WJW does (especially WJW) before I can give you a straight answer (besides that any discussion about the other Cleveland-area stations can be discussed elsewhere)

• Like 5

Here in Detroit they used the red breaking news ones a lot... those were well... red with a little white on the edges and stuff... it’s not like the trapezoids became rhombuses or something...

The big, gaudy black trapezoid bug certainly is new... Looks like someone made it in PowerPoint compared to the old bug. And yeah, the old package used white lower thirds and red ones for breaking news, but it seems like they're always red now.

I feel like these are a step backwards. The old package looked a lot more modern.

• Like 1

The same fools who are trying to restructure iHeart and Cumulus... John Malone, for one.

Neither of those groups has much hope... both are big but both have previous financial difficulties... now you are in Greyhound territory... how many bankruptcies can we squeeze out of this thing?

Checked in with both WTMJ and WGBA and their "Now" treatment; it looks like WGBA is playing it straight with some local content where it's fit in naturally, while WTMJ is giving it a more selective treatment as if it's a wire service, though today was an unusual edition due to Jordy Nelson's release from the Packers and the wait for a news conference with the team (which thank goodness started after primetime and both stations sanely decided to give it the 'more at 10' treatment rather than pre-empt The Voice for it). Oddly, WTMJ isn't using the custom time/temp bug any longer.

Checked in with both WTMJ and WGBA and their "Now" treatment; it looks like WGBA is playing it straight with some local content where it's fit in naturally, while WTMJ is giving it a more selective treatment as if it's a wire service, though today was an unusual edition due to Jordy Nelson's release from the Packers and the wait for a news conference with the team (which thank goodness started after primetime and both stations sanely decided to give it the 'more at 10' treatment rather than pre-empt The Voice for it). Oddly, WTMJ isn't using the custom time/temp bug any longer.

tmj4's version of the now was doing pretty well ratings-wise... so they might have some freedom to keep parts of their old format... one of the few "nows" where the ratings went up from the show it replaced ("wisconsin tonight" was a dumpster fire)

that bug was the normal now bug without the current conditions icon... a limitation of viz ticker versus newsroom solutions that scripps standardized everyone else on... someone told me they were working on adding it but it was very low priority... guess no one got around to it...

Is changing the channel that difficult?

I saw in an old book about TV, where they (people) used to have to get up and walk to the TV to change the channel.

That was before the world was in color ...in the olden days.

• Like 3

I want Ellen back on WPTV. I’m so unhappy with it on WPBF.

You must be picky. You were used to Ellen on WPTV; why do you want her back on that station? Is it because they have higher news ratings?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
I don't even know who Scripps could be sold to at this point without a couple significant conflicts--*maybe* Nexstar?

Well hopefully Scripps doesn't end up being sold to Sinclair...I'm glad I currently don't live in a Sinclair market, but if WXYZ and WMYD start running those must-runs...minus one viewer for them.

Or private equity might step out of the shadows...a long shot, admittedly, but they have money and cap space.

I am guessing a sale is Gabelli's endgame, which, if he pulled it off, would be interesting since Scripps has two classes of stock.