Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

What would have stopped Scripps from giving stations the resources necessary to produce it though? I know for KSHB at least they've hired reporters to specifically report for the Now.

Who knows at this point. Something's been amiss with Scripps in general ever since the legacy company spun off the cable network division.

• Like 1

They'll probably all get it now that they're cutting back on the local angle, which is the only thing the local stations could have fought corporate about. Can't really argue "we don't have the resources to produce this" when all you're doing is inserting cut-ins.

I get the hunch this is a response to "Daily Blast Live".

How many of the legacy Journal stations ever got The Now, anyway?

This format will probably be much more scalable to stations.

• Like 1

Could Scripps stations eventually scale The Now to a half-hour if they want to? I do miss the local version on WEWS. (I think this could hurt them more than help them)

That being said, The List, The Now, and Picker and Ben I feel have dragged down Scripps stations. They should not have been forced to take in programming that are ultimately not ratings-winners in the long run.

• Like 2

Could Scripps stations eventually scale The Now to a half-hour if they want to? I do miss the local version on WEWS. (I think this could hurt them more than help them)

That being said, The List, The Now, and Picker and Ben I feel have dragged down Scripps stations. They should not have been forced to take in programming that are ultimately not ratings-winners in the long run.

Those stations should have been given the option to turn it down because even the stations themselves knew that these shows wasn't going to ratings winners in the first place, I think Scripps gave the stations no choice but to air those shows and it damaged their overall ratings for their local newscasts

• Like 1

Yeah, why don't they offer themselves to ABC, Hearst, Raycom, or Graham?

I think it’ll be picked over in pieces in a bankruptcy or liquidation at some point...

Here’s Another cost cut...

Longtime WXYZ Noon and The NOW anchor JoAnne Purtan is not being renewed after 20 years at circle 7... her last day is March 23rd:

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/wxyz-anchor-says-her-contract-isnt-being-renewed/201647

IMG_5863.thumb.JPG.c3b6fb343fd3e377ca82b60a612819dd.JPG I keep forgetting to upload these, but I did a Scripps survey months ago, they were testing talent for a new version of The Now.

EDIT: I can't upload the other files, somehow they are too big. Pretty much they were testing a couple other talent. Pretty much more greenscreen ala The List.

• Like 2

[ATTACH=full]5590[/ATTACH] I keep forgetting to upload these, but I did a Scripps survey months ago, they were testing talent for a new version of The Now.

EDIT: I can't upload the other files, somehow they are too big. Pretty much they were testing a couple other talent. Pretty much more greenscreen ala The List.

What kind of people Scripps is hiring for the national version of "The Now"?

This format will probably be much more scalable to stations.

WTMJ and WGBA got it (Well, the weird 30 minute version at least). I heard KTNV was supposed to get it eventually but it doesn't look like they have (yet).

The WTMJ version at least has adopted the new graphics and virtual set

WTMJ and WGBA got it (Well, the weird 30 minute version at least). I heard KTNV was supposed to get it eventually but it doesn't look like they have (yet).

So only the former Journal stations getting the 30 minute version of "The Now"? What happened to the rest of the former Journal stations?

At least WTMJ/WGBA did a great job when it comes to the graphics

Also I don't think KTNV will ever get "The Now" and if they did it'll only last a few months before "The Now" goes nationwide

• Like 1

Those are hardly different than the old ones... they added some edging and that’s about it... the transition is slower but I’m not seeing much different there...

• Like 1

Who knows at this point. Something's been amiss with Scripps in general ever since the legacy company spun off the cable network division.

I’ve always thought that the cable networks allowed the TV operation to be well oiled and expensive but when they were removed Scripps had no idea how to cut and it’s simply become a mess and a downward spiral... this is what it looks like when a firm goes under though... that slow burn into oblivion....

Also I don't think KTNV will ever get "The Now" and if they did it'll only last a few months before "The Now" goes nationwide

it went nation wide today... the article says the changes take place “starting Today”...

Those are hardly different than the old ones... they added some edging and that’s about it... the transition is slower but I’m not seeing much different there...

not sure what YOU have been watching... but they’re much bigger... and uglier... than before... not to mention more red...

• Like 2

it went nation wide today... the article says the changes take place “starting Today”...

not sure what YOU have been watching... but they’re much bigger... and uglier... than before... not to mention more red...

Here in Detroit they used the red breaking news ones a lot... those were well... red with a little white on the edges and stuff... it’s not like the trapezoids became rhombuses or something...

Ten years later and 'TMJ is probably still feeling stupid about letting the Sony game shows go to WDJT.

I was told at the time that there was such a huge bidding war to acquire Wheel and Jeopardy and WDJT over paid so much that advertising doesn't even come close to the cost for the syndication rights even with WDJT being in 1st place from 6-7pm since getting those shows. It's very likely TMJ was/is turning a profit in the 630 half hour when they have done local news even though its been 3rd or 4th.(in the fall/winter Packers programming makes a lot of money for TMJ). Anyways its a moot point now, Scripps doesn't spend money on outside syndication.

I believe just WTMJ and WGBA so far.

• Like 2

Those stations should have been given the option to turn it down because even the stations themselves knew that these shows wasn't going to ratings winners in the first place, I think Scripps gave the stations no choice but to air those shows and it damaged their overall ratings for their local newscasts

But if the stations had the choice they likely wouldn’t choose it. Thereby making it useless. Plus Scripps isn’t exactly investing in high priced syndicated programming.

[ATTACH=full]5590[/ATTACH] I keep forgetting to upload these, but I did a Scripps survey months ago, they were testing talent for a new version of The Now.

Uck! Adam Hammon in front of green-screen. Duuuude!

But if the stations had the choice they likely wouldn’t choose it. Thereby making it useless. Plus Scripps isn’t exactly investing in high priced syndicated programming.

Exactly, but the problem was that Scripps didn't give them the option when they should have

Exactly, but the problem was that Scripps didn't give them the option when they should have

Somehow WMAR has been saved from The Now. Syndicated fair in prime access includes The List and Who Wants to Be a Millionaire. During the day part they have The Doctors, Rachel Ray, pay to play Midday Maryland, RightThisMinute, Pickler & Ben and Harry. While not top quality syndicated shows they haven’t given WMAR a complete death wish while they still pushed most of their produced programming on WMAR. I imagine if they put The Now instead of Harry at 4PM as the lead in for the 5PM news WMAR would be in worst shape.

Are there any other Scripps (save for possible Journal) stations not clearing The Now?

• Like 1

Somehow WMAR has been saved from The Now. Syndicated fair in prime access includes The List and Who Wants to Be a Millionaire. During the day part they have The Doctors, Rachel Ray, pay to play Midday Maryland, RightThisMinute, Pickler & Ben and Harry. While not top quality syndicated shows they haven’t given WMAR a complete death wish while they still pushed most of their produced programming on WMAR. I imagine if they put The Now instead of Harry at 4PM as the lead in for the 5PM news WMAR would be in worst shape.

Are there any other Scripps (save for possible Journal) stations not clearing The Now?

KJRH, KSHB, KERO, WFTX, WMAR and WKBW all don't air The Now

• Like 5

What kind of people Scripps is hiring for the national version of "The Now"?

Young, 30-somethings I'd say. The other two were female. I think all of them work(ed) at a Scripps station at the time they tested the presentation.

• Like 1

Young, 30-somethings I'd say. The other two were female. I think all of them work(ed) at a Scripps station at the time they tested the presentation.

Which does makes sense because that's what Scripps is trying to do is get the younger viewers watching their shows and their content (Which I'm glad Scripps is at least trying even though it may be "cheap")

• Like 1

Which does makes sense because that's what Scripps is trying to do is get the younger viewers watching their shows and their content (Which I'm glad Scripps is at least trying even though it may be "cheap")

Which is one of the problems facing broadcast televison. Do millennials care to watch live news when they can just learn everything on their smartphones on their own time?

• Like 3

Which is one of the problems facing broadcast televison. Do millennials care to watch live news when they can just learn everything on their smartphones on their own time?

And the same can be said about the iGen people, but I like to get local news on Television (at a convienient time) and get Sports News/Highlights on CBS Sports HQ instead of ESPN plus national news on CBSN instead of Fox News, CNN and MSNBC

• Like 1