Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

WXYZ is still far and away the largest station in their portfolio. I would be astounded to see them unload it.

If anything, WXYZ will be like WEWS, WMAR and WKBW... underperformers but still with value regardless. (Although WKBW's issues still mostly predate Scripps management.)

The way they are unloading what little longtime talent they have left one would think somethings up... there were some rumblings here and there. I’ve always gotten the Sears feeling from Scripps... they need cash and their situation is worse than is being let on...

• Like 1

The way they are unloading what little longtime talent they have left one would think somethings up... there were some rumblings here and there. I’ve always gotten the Sears feeling from Scripps... they need cash and their situation is worse than is being let on...

I can't see them selling off WXYZ/WMYD and continue to survive as a company.

Unless it's a Warren Buffett-type deal a la WPLG, that would immediately be seen as waving the white flag and setting themselves up for an outright sale. So why not just unload the entire chain then?

I can't see them selling off WXYZ/WMYD and continue to survive as a company.

Unless it's a Warren Buffett-type deal a la WPLG, that would immediately be seen as waving the white flag and setting themselves up for an outright sale. So why not just unload the entire chain then?

That last scenario has been bouncing around for a while (cue the speculation but take it to the speculatron if you please).

• Like 1

WXYZ is still far and away the largest station in their portfolio. I would be astounded to see them unload it.

If anything, WXYZ will be like WEWS, WMAR and WKBW... underperformers but still with value regardless. (Although WKBW's issues still mostly predate Scripps management.)

It's also silly because WXYZ is one of their original stations. Scripps would be insane to sell off one of the originals. Not to mention they love ABC. They'd more likely sell of some NBC and CBS stations.

• Like 4

Major shifts are about to be underway at Scripps' original Circle 7: so far, it is known that Denise Isaac and Joanne Purtan will be let go.

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2018/2/6/more-out-in-motown

I presume this has to do with the corporate restructuring mentioned at the top of this page.

What's the anchor line-up look like now?

• Like 3

What's the anchor line-up look like now?

Mornings:

Alicia Smith and Malcom Maddox

Noon:

JoAnne Purtan

4pm:

Carolyn Clifford and JoAnne Purtan

5pm and 10pm:

Dave LewAllen and Glenda Lewis

6pm/7pm/11pm:

Stephen Clark and Carolyn Clifford

Clark and Purtans replacements haven’t been named yet because they aren’t gone yet.

Mornings:

Noon:

JoAnne Purtan

4pm:

5pm and 10pm:

6pm/7pm/11pm:

Clark and Purtans replacements haven’t been named yet because they aren’t gone yet.

If I'm a betting man... My money is on LewAllen to get the big seat.

Mornings:

Noon:

JoAnne Purtan

4pm:

5pm and 10pm:

6pm/7pm/11pm:

If I'm a betting man... My money is on LewAllen to get the big seat.

Sounds like no replacement is needed for Joanne Purtan. I'm guessing they'll go outside to hire Stephen's replacement.

NEWGUY/Carolyn - 4/6/7/11

Dave/Glenda - 5/10

Malcolm/Alicia - Mornings/Noon

Sounds like no replacement is needed for Joanne Purtan. I'm guessing they'll go outside to hire Stephen's replacement.

NEWGUY/Carolyn - 4/6/7/11

Dave/Glenda - 5/10

Malcolm/Alicia - Mornings/Noon

Noon solo.. only one seat downtown ... but LewAllen deserves the seat... he’s the senior talent at 7... you’re probably right on an outside hire though which is a shame.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a promo on WEWS in Cleveland saying that "Pickler and Ben" moving to 10am starting on Monday, March 5th. "Steve" (Steve Harvey's latest talk show) is moving to the 3pm slot that "Pickler" had been occupying since September of last year.

• 2 weeks later...
Have the ratings for any of these homegrown shows been good, at any of the station groups? They feel like cheap filler.

Not really. The Now killed off whatever ratings momentum KSHB had, and WXYZ did all that they could to make it as close to a straight newscast as possible.

WKBW has done decently with the Now at 7pm, where no other local newscast runs in that timeslot in the market (considering that KB lost Wheel and J! under the tail end of Granite mismanagement to WIVB, that isn’t saying much of anything).

WEWS recently swapped PnB with Steve Harvey - moving Steve back to 3pm - in a move reminiscent of their bailing on Dr. Oz a few years ago.

Not shocking. I see the same fate for DBL.

And the same can be said about Pickler and Ben because despite getting renewed for a 2nd season, it's getting low ratings (with the exception of Nashville where the show originates from)

Have the ratings for any of these homegrown shows been good, at any of the station groups? They feel like cheap filler.

For WTMJ and WGBA, it literally is filler outside of Packers season. In the fall they only have to produce two shows (they cut the three Facebook-only shows on Packers programming nights once they realized nobody was watching). Ten years later and 'TMJ is probably still feeling stupid about letting the Sony game shows go to WDJT.

And the same can be said about Pickler and Ben because despite getting renewed for a 2nd season, it's getting low ratings (with the exception of Nashville where the show originates from)

If not for the national CMT deal it probably wouldn't even have that second season.

• Like 1

Not really. The Now killed off whatever ratings momentum KSHB had, and WXYZ did all that they could to make it as close to a straight newscast as possible.

WKBW has done decently with the Now at 7pm, where no other local newscast runs in that timeslot in the market (considering that KB lost Wheel and J! under the tail end of Granite mismanagement to WIVB, that isn’t saying much of anything).

WEWS recently swapped PnB with Steve Harvey - moving Steve back to 3pm - in a move reminiscent of their bailing on Dr. Oz a few years ago.

I still don't understand how some Scripps stations managed to avoid the Now plague.

That’s the format we were promised originally when The NOW launched...

It sort of started like that, then ratings tanked and they tried to make it more localized. Clearly, that also didn't work, so they're gonna go back to the original premise and hope things are differen't the third time around.

• Like 1

I still don't understand how some Scripps stations managed to avoid the Now plague.

They'll probably all get it now that they're cutting back on the local angle, which is the only thing the local stations could have fought corporate about. Can't really argue "we don't have the resources to produce this" when all you're doing is inserting cut-ins.

I get the hunch this is a response to "Daily Blast Live".

• Like 2

They'll probably all get it now that they're cutting back on the local angle, which is the only thing the local stations could have fought corporate about. Can't really argue "we don't have the resources to produce this" when all you're doing is inserting cut-ins.

Hopefully it's at around the same time frame as Daily Blast Live.

What would have stopped Scripps from giving stations the resources necessary to produce it though? I know for KSHB at least they've hired reporters to specifically report for the Now.

What would have stopped Scripps from giving stations the resources necessary to produce it though? I know for KSHB at least they've hired reporters to specifically report for the Now.

Scripps is dying... that in and of itself is causing them to cut like mad to save the ship... new graphics, additional resources to stations... it’s all too expensive for them now and everything is getting to the point of being too far gone...

• Like 1