Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

For as much as I (We) bag on KGTV...I want to take a little time out and point out they actually do some steller reporting sometimes....

One bad actor off the streets of San Diego.

http://www.10news.com/news/uc-san-diego-student-arrested-after-laundry-room-panty-thefts

I smell an Emmy.

(yup...i did)

10 News, Stories that Matter.

Will they have a follow up to this story tomorrow on "10News This Morning", their 10News Mobile App (download today, free from the app store), 10News at 11 AM, The Now at 4 PM, and 10News at 5, 6, 7, and tonight first thing at 11 PM???? I can't hardly wait to find out what kind of studio shot angle they will use.

Do we need to issue a Breaking News Alert? Will the Breaking News Tracker be dispatched?? Is Sky 10 "first" over the scene???

FIND OUT AFTER THE BREAK.

• Like 4

For as much as I (We) bag on KGTV...I want to take a little time out and point out they actually do some steller reporting sometimes....

One bad actor off the streets of San Diego.

http://www.10news.com/news/uc-san-diego-student-arrested-after-laundry-room-panty-thefts

I smell an Emmy.

(yup...i did)

Among other things...

10 News, Stories that Matter.

Will they have a follow up to this story tomorrow on "10News This Morning", their 10News Mobile App (download today, free from the app store), 10News at 11 AM, The Now at 4 PM, and 10News at 5, 6, 7, and tonight first thing at 11 PM???? I can't hardly wait to find out what kind of studio shot angle they will use.

Do we need to issue a Breaking News Alert? Will the Breaking News Tracker be dispatched?? Is Sky 10 "first" over the scene???

FIND OUT AFTER THE BREAK.

But first, call in right now to win $1000 in cash, only on 10News!

[insert BREAKING WEATHER ALERT here]

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Among other things...

But first, call in right now to win $1000 in cash, only on 10News!

[insert BREAKING WEATHER ALERT here]

The latest KGTV fire promo is killing me...

"More people watched 10 news for coverage of the Lilac fire"......

"More" than what?

No attribution of any type...not even little tiny Nielsen numbers at the bottom of the screen.

The fire was not during the regular book. What the hell do they base that "more viewers" claim on?

Is this claim based on the overnights (ratings)...doubtful because I'm pretty sure it's still a giant NO-NO to post or share the "overnights" unless you have permission or a rider in your Nielsen agreement.

It's just a play on words.

A fabricated non-fact that can never be proven...nor dis-proven .

And they wonder why nobody trust the media.

• Like 3

The latest KGTV fire promo is killing me...

"More people watched 10 news for coverage of the Lilac fire"......

"More" than what?

No attribution of any type...not even little tiny Nielsen numbers at the bottom of the screen.

The fire was not during the regular book. What the hell do they base that "more viewers" claim on?

Is this claim based on the overnights (ratings)...doubtful because I'm pretty sure it's still a giant NO-NO to post or share the "overnights" unless you have permission or a rider in your Nielsen agreement.

It's just a play on words.

A fabricated non-fact that can never be proven...nor dis-proven .

And they wonder why nobody trust the media.

They probably based it on testimonials from "average viewers" like Bob, Sally and Susie, whom told them that they watched 10News over News8 and NBC7.

• Like 5

Janet Hundley has “resigned” from her position as News Director at WTMJ.

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/12/29/nd-out-in-milwaukee

This comes not long after the station dropped back to 4th place at 10pm. Janet was hired by Journal prior to the Scripps merger when the station was having similar ratings issues.

I have a suspicion that the fall from grace after she managed to turn the ratings around have more to do with Scripps corporate and not decisions she was making.

Their content has suffered a lot lately. Who wants to bet the "digital" guy gets the bump up like at other Scripps properties?

• Like 1

Janet Hundley has “resigned” from her position as News Director at WTMJ.

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/12/29/nd-out-in-milwaukee

This comes not long after the station dropped back to 4th place at 10pm. Janet was hired by Journal prior to the Scripps merger when the station was having similar ratings issues.

I have a suspicion that the fall from grace after she managed to turn the ratings around have more to do with Scripps corporate and not decisions she was making.

Their content has suffered a lot lately. Who wants to bet the "digital" guy gets the bump up like at other Scripps properties?

That is disappointing, Janet is a very good News Director. Weeters is right, one reason she came to WTMJ when it was owned by Journal was because she was given free rein on the News Department. Over time Scripps corporate has taken over more control, and in turn ratings have gone lower. Several rounds of budget cuts haven't helped either.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Somebody in Scrippsland noticed that WXYZ largely still had the orange/reddish 2009 weather graphics (except the 7 day) 9 Years later. So they finally got with the program and got the yellow/blue/white 2012 standard weather graphics for their future cast and radar and such. Their 7 day also changed so instead of highs directly above lows it’s high-low-high-low in an up and down diagonal pattern that leaves the high and low offset from each other in each box. Still using the orange 2011 first alert logo modified with a Flat rather than glossy ABC logo. Wonder what took so long.

• Like 1

Somebody in Scrippsland noticed that WXYZ largely still had the orange/reddish 2009 weather graphics (except the 7 day) 9 Years later. So they finally got with the program and got the yellow/blue/white 2012 standard weather graphics for their future cast and radar and such. Their 7 day also changed so instead of highs directly above lows it’s high-low-high-low in an up and down diagonal pattern that leaves the high and low offset from each other in each box. Still using the orange 2011 first alert logo modified with a Flat rather than glossy ABC logo. Wonder what took so long.

I noticed this a while back and didn't really mention it... But found it odd that they were using 2 different graphics packages... It was bothering me quite a bit and glad they finally fixed it.. Let's hope that when the next update comes out that they fully transition smoothly...

• Like 1

I noticed this a while back and didn't really mention it... But found it odd that they were using 2 different graphics packages... It was bothering me quite a bit and glad they finally fixed it.. Let's hope that when the next update comes out that they fully transition smoothly...

I myself didn't bother noticing this for years until now, but yeah, using two packages simultaneously is quite bizarre.

• Like 2

I know WTMJ retained their graphics department when the merger went through, and kept the arrangement where one of their artists did stuff for KTNV. It looks like that is about to come to an end, because WTMJ and WTVF were the only two real "graphics departments" left in the company (most of the other Journal stations had an art director and maybe some production people who could make an OTS or monitor graphic).

I want to talk about Graphics for a second because with the NBC-affiliated Hearst stations updating theirs for Super Bowl LII and the Winter Olympics, I'm curious to see what the five NBC stations in West Palm Beach, KC, Milwaukee, Green Bay, and Tulsa plan to do with Their gfx.

• Like 2

I want to talk about Graphics for a second because with the NBC-affiliated Hearst stations updating theirs for Super Bowl LII and the Winter Olympics, I'm curious to see what the five NBC stations in West Palm Beach, KC, Milwaukee, Green Bay, and Tulsa plan to do with Their gfx.

Glad someone finally brought up the elephant in the room. It sure has been a long time since Scripps rolled out new graphics!!!! How haven't we had this conversation yet?? :rolleyes:

Don't hold your breath. When Scripps gets new graphics they will more than likely appear on WFTS first since that's where their hub is.

Scripps is performing a comprehensive restructuring, which includes selling its radio stations, as well as centralizing some services.

However, it sounds like Scripps is doing this so that they possibly could acquire more TV stations.

EDIT: A thread has been started on this topic.

Look for more long time veterans to "retire" its been happening the last year or so.

Scripps is struggling, the last thing on their minds are graphics.

• Like 2

Look for more long time veterans to "retire" its been happening the last year or so.

Scripps is struggling, the last thing on their minds are graphics.

I’ve heard rumblings some of the TV stations are going on the block too... so if more folks are retired it could be to slim down those stations before a sale.

• Like 1

I’ve heard rumblings some of the TV stations are going on the block too... so if more folks are retired it could be to slim down those stations before a sale.

I doubt that would include WPTV because after all, they’ve been #1 forever. As for some of the rest, if God forbid They end up on the block, I can easily see Raycom show interest. Just Don’t mention the conglomerate that I’d like to remain nameless.

Heard this a while ago. The speculation was mostly that the smaller market stations (i.e. the ex-Journal stations that got virtual sets) were being upgraded in a fashion that would make them appealing to buyers while as little time and money as possible was spent upgrading them (hence the virtual sets). The latest news of job cuts may also be an attempt to slim down some stations enough that other companies that already have hubbed operations like Master Control, Traffic, and Graphics can come in and take control of a station without worrying about having to lay off employees or go through that whole thing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Major shifts are about to be underway at Scripps' original Circle 7: so far, it is known that Denise Isaac and Joanne Purtan will be let go.

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2018/2/6/more-out-in-motown

I presume this has to do with the corporate restructuring mentioned at the top of this page.

• Like 2

Major shifts are about to be underway at Scripps' original Circle 7: so far, it is known that Denise Isaac and Joanne Purtan will be let go.

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2018/2/6/more-out-in-motown

I presume this has to do with the corporate restructuring mentioned at the top of this page.

It would be directly a result of Scripps eating its own but we were promised Purtan was out last month... FTV Live isn’t perfect...

Denise Isaac is way better in Spanish than English so that’s no shock at all and her contract is up anyways.

Then there’s Stephen Clark leaving... best guess is they are gonna sell the station sooner or later... it’s an underperformer in a shrinking market and Scripps doesn’t need it anymore.

... best guess is they are gonna sell the station sooner or later... it’s an underperformer in a shrinking market and Scripps doesn’t need it anymore.

WXYZ is still far and away the largest station in their portfolio. I would be astounded to see them unload it.

If anything, WXYZ will be like WEWS, WMAR and WKBW... underperformers but still with value regardless. (Although WKBW's issues still mostly predate Scripps management.)

• Like 1