Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

Today starts the week of farewells as Lee Jordan and Leon Bibb are both retiring from WEWS after Friday and next Monday.

They will be missed from the station after they step down. Leon I saw plans to continue with his Sunday morning show and do some commentaries.

[url=http://www.news5cleveland.com/about-us/send-well-wishes-to-leon-bibb-and-lee-jordan-in-their-retirement][/url]

http://www.news5cleveland.com/about-us/send-well-wishes-to-leon-bibb-and-lee-jordan-in-their-retirement

• Like 2

oooh not Snoozefest 19. Sad part is 19 starting to look better than 5 in news coverage. WEWS has gone to the dogs, and it even sad when 19 starts to become the gold standard over 5. 8 continues to lead.

What happens though when Sinclair takes over 8? How would 5 and even 19 do when that happens?

I wouldn't be surprised if a new "The Now" on WEWS gets moved to 7pm, with the old "Now" becoming "News 5 at 4" in order to take on "Fox 8 News at 4" and "Snoozefest 19 at 4*"

*Out of respect for the City of Cleveland and due to the fact that WOIO's newscasts are boring as s*it these days, from henceforth I suggest we refer to WOIO's branding as "Snoozefest 19".

What would then happen to The List? Also, is WEWS carrying that new talk show Scripps is supposed to air in the fall?

What would then happen to The List? Also, is WEWS carrying that new talk show Scripps is supposed to air in the fall?

They'll do what KB has done, and push The List to 7:30, thus banishing "Access Hollywood" to post-Nightline. (Remember that "The List" lost the localized segments when "The Now" debuted. Otherwise Scripps could have had their own iteration of the PM/Evening Magazine concept that might have been possible at 7:30 IMO... but it looks like The Now could be going in that pseudo direction.)

Truthfully, if any station ought to move "The Now" out of the recommended 4pm time slot, it's KSHB, whose news department was badly damaged upon its premiere. WXYZ's iteration is effectively a 4pm newscast so a move is unnecessary.

What happens though when Sinclair takes over 8? How would 5 and even 19 do when that happens?

If the Sinclair/Tribune deal doesn't go through than it a great day in America. However, if it does goes through SMH-Hmmm. Sinclair has gobbled up many other broadcast groups, so them getting #1 stations in many markets are sitting them pretty i.e. Cincinnati/WKRC, SLC/KUTV.

Management at SLC/KUTV had gone on the record saying that Sinclair execs told them; Whatever you're doing continue to keep doing it, and we'll support you yadda, yadda, yadda. I think in FOX 8 case not much changes will come down the pike. I do wonder if Gabe Spiegel will have a job he did work at WSYX in Columbus.

(I hope he jumps to WKYC if that be the case.)

Scripps has dogged out it two big legacy stations WEWS & WXYZ both are a shell of its former self. That WEWS logo alone makes them look like market 204. Scripps probably wants to sell there been some talk on other sites, but nothing written in stone. I think they're clueless at Scripps. 5 will continue to sink and change personalities, management. 19 will do the same, but 19 product will continue to outshine 5; which is sad. That like WGCL picking themselves up and over powering WSB in Atlanta.

• Like 3

If the Sinclair/Tribune deal doesn't go through than it a great day in America. However, if it does goes through SMH-Hmmm. Sinclair has gobbled up many other broadcast groups, so them getting #1 stations in many markets are sitting them pretty i.e. Cincinnati/WKRC, SLC/KUTV.

Management at SLC/KUTV had gone on the record saying that Sinclair execs told them; Whatever you're doing continue to keep doing it, and we'll support you yadda, yadda, yadda.

What I still don't understand is why Sinclair looks at successful stations like KUTV and WKRC and say "you keep doing what you're doing, we won't mess with you and we'll even give you special graphics". Then they look at other successful stations like KOMO and WJLA and say "we are going to meddle with your operations as much as possible, slash your budget, fire all of the people that made the station successful, fire the popular anchors, and give you the same cheap graphics everyone else gets"

• Like 5

Management at SLC/KUTV had gone on the record saying that Sinclair execs told them; Whatever you're doing continue to keep doing it, and we'll support you yadda, yadda, yadda. I think in FOX 8 case not much changes will come down the pike. I do wonder if Gabe Spiegel will have a job he did work at WSYX in Columbus.

(I hope he jumps to WKYC if that be the case.)

Scripps has dogged out it two big legacy stations WEWS & WXYZ both are a shell of its former self. That WEWS logo alone makes them look like market 204. Scripps probably wants to sell there been some talk on other sites, but nothing written in stone. I think they're clueless at Scripps. 5 will continue to sink and change personalities, management. 19 will do the same, but 19 product will continue to outshine 5; which is sad. That like WGCL picking themselves up and over powering WSB in Atlanta.

Doesn't WKYC beat all of them in ratings?

What I still don't understand is why Sinclair looks at successful stations like KUTV and WKRC and say "you keep doing what you're doing, we won't mess with you and we'll even give you special graphics". Then they look at other successful stations like KOMO and WJLA and say "we are going to meddle with your operations as much as possible, slash your budget, fire all of the people that made the station successful, fire the popular anchors, and give you the same cheap graphics everyone else gets"

Take a look at which states the stations are in.

KUTV is in Utah, WKRC is in Ohio, KOMO is in Washington state, and WJLA is in DC. Utah and Ohio are red states. Washington isn't. DC definitely isn't.

Doesn't WKYC beat all of them in ratings?

WKYC doesn't run news at noon, 4 or 5. (Live on Lakeside is infotainment with a brief news segment thrown in.)

WKYC does lead the pack at 11pm, the only time WJW doesn't have a newscast.

• Like 1

KUTV is in Utah, WKRC is in Ohio, KOMO is in Washington state, and WJLA is in DC. Utah and Ohio are red states. Washington isn't. DC definitely isn't.

They why is WSYX a McStation? They have more than enough red viewers outside of the blue inner city (which IS the largest city in Ohio, mind you).

WKRC, to be blunt about it, got a special look to differentiate themselves from WKEF/WRGT in nearby Dayton. And when Sinclair folds KSTU into KUTV, KSTU will get the McStation look.

• Like 2

They why is WSYX a McStation? They have more than enough red viewers outside of the blue inner city (which IS the largest city in Ohio, mind you).

WKRC, to be blunt about it, got a special look to differentiate themselves from WKEF/WRGT in nearby Dayton. And when Sinclair folds KSTU into KUTV, KSTU will get the McStation look.

WSYX has been a Sinclair station for well over two decades, and WTTE was one of the pre-Sinclair stations signed on by their predecessor, the Commercial Radio Institute. Sinclair chose to flip WTTE to Glencairn, in one of the first "shell" deals in television at the time when they purchased River City. Even though it's been a dog in the market for most of its existence, it has always been a cash cow and source of pride to Sinclair, even rivaling WBFF.

WKRC got lucky probably because they were successful to begin with and Sinclair chose not to screw up things too much.

Both WCPO and WEWS are stations that Scripps signed on themselves and have NEVER changed ownership. Given the sorry state that Scripps is in (straying from it's old self as a QUALITY broadcaster), it's like Sears. Just because it was first, doesn't mean that it is the best out there.

Uh...McStation? I think you lost me there....

• Like 2

Ohio not really a red state it more purple, because it swings back in forth red, blue, red, blue. Yes, my home state is a swinger state so to speak!

Tulsa's Scripps outlet KJRH has released its morning anchor pair of Taniya Wright and Daniel Winn.

It's a shocker when you get fired before the end of sweeps. Now the station is looking for replacements.

Today, KJRH announced its' new morning team, comprised of 2 KOTV vets. Former anchor Scott Thompson and recent hire Lisa Jones, returning to TV after 16 years.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/scenelatest/longtime-kotv-anchor-scott-thompson-returns-to-tv-on-kjrh/article_e642b8da-43e3-5f4d-9e03-f1bf6ff6d473.html

• Like 4

Today, KJRH announced its' new morning team, comprised of 2 KOTV vets. Former anchor Scott Thompson and recent hire Lisa Jones, returning to TV after 16 years.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/scenelatest/longtime-kotv-anchor-scott-thompson-returns-to-tv-on-kjrh/article_e642b8da-43e3-5f4d-9e03-f1bf6ff6d473.html

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/7/27/scripps-has-new-anchor-team-in-tulsa

Isn't KJRH's new news director and some EP from KOTV? If so, then it's pretty clear what's happening here. New management is being petty and spiteful against KOTV and is trying to hurt them. I don't know if these recent decisions are so much of an attempt to help KJRH as it is an attempt to hurt KOTV.

Isn't KJRH's new news director and some EP from KOTV? If so, then it's pretty clear what's happening here. New management is being petty and spiteful against KOTV and is trying to hurt them. I don't know if these recent decisions are so much of an attempt to help KJRH as it is an attempt to hurt KOTV.

You sure it not just competition? Many anchors, ep and management do all jump to the competition to do the same job.

• Like 1

WMAR posted this on Instagram. Apparently their new show is titled "Midday Maryland" and is using a virtual set. I hope it's not one of the crappy ones some of the Journal stations got.

Edit: The images disappeared as I posted this.

Basically the images showed a corner hard green cyc being installed. Another showed two workers installing it. One with three ugly chairs on set. Finally a old tripod with a PTZ camera on it with a TelePrompTer underneath.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10154778163772227

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10154778163772227

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10154778163767227

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10154778163717227

• Like 1

Scripps buys Bounce, Escape, Laff, and Grit

I'd like to think this is a good thing, because I watch Bounce and Laff almost faithfully. But since management will stay the same and higher ad revenue & investment will be coming in, this more than probably is.

So great for everyone involved.

I'd also like to assume high station changeover as well?

• Like 2