Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

Tucson - KGUN 9

Bakersfield - KERO 23

Fort Myers - WFTX 36 (Cable 4)

Boise/Twin Falls - KIVI 6/KSAW 51

Baltimore - WMAR 2 (Scripps' weakest station so understandable)

Omaha - KMTV 3

Las Vegas - KTNV 13

Buffalo - WKBW 7

Tulsa - KJRH 2

Nashville - WTVF 5

Green Bay - WGBA 26

To stand up for WMAR they're getting a lot investment. Surely some Journal ones are weaker?

Because we can't have her waiting tables....

NBG is baaaaaack!

Here is the direct rip and read from ftvlive.....forgive me.

All I have to say is her reporters and producers are old enough to be her and Gonzo's GROWN UP kids.

Bako will never be the same...now excuse me while I try to swim up the Kern River.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Scripps has hired former LA News Director Nancy Bauer Gonzales.

Bauer Gonzales was the former ND at KNBC and then jumped to KCBS/KCAL where she spent 9 years. For the past almost 3 years, she has been the News Director for a Spectrum (formally Time Warner) cable news station in the LA area.

Now she's jumping from the LA home of the No. 2 market, to Bakersfield at market 126.

She is married to KBAK Anchor David Gonzales, so this move will have her competing against her husband's station.

Here's the internal memo that was sent to the KERO staff and obtained by FTVLive:

Team 23,

I am happy to announce that Nancy Bauer will be joining us as KERO News Director at the end of July.

Nancy is moving here from the Los Angeles area where she most recently worked for Charter Communications, Spectrum News.

Prior to that, the news executive spent 10 years as Vice President/News Director of KCBS/KCAL in Los Angeles. She was responsible for 65 hours of live local news per week and led a staff of 300 reporters, photographers and producers. She also oversaw construction and relocation to a new state of the art facility in Studio City, in the San Fernando Valley.

Prior to that, Bauer served as Vice President/News Director of KNBC, the NBC owned and operated station in Burbank. During her time there, KNBC ranked #1 in all 7 weekday broadcasts, weekend news and sports programming. "It was a great time to be in TV news" Bauer says. "I was fortunate to lead our coverage of fires, floods, earthquakes, the OJ Simpson trial and the death of Michael Jackson. It was a tumultuous time in television news."

Bauer is married and has a daughter who attends University of Notre Dame in Indiana. She has 2 dogs and 2 horses, and loves to ride for relaxation.

Nancy will be here for our company picnic to meet everyone on July 3rd, and will begin work on July 24th.

Please join me in welcoming her to Bakersfield's best news department!

Adam F. Chase

Vice President /General Manager

KERO-23 ABC/ Azteca Bakersfield

• Like 1

TVNT's very own @alaskanews is leaving Scripps and his role as National Correspondent for The Now this Friday. [MEDIA=twitter]884455063221129216[/MEDIA] It was always a little enjoyable to see him on WTMJ after knowing him on here for so many years. Best of luck in whatever you do next, Todd!
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Weeters']TVNT's very own @alaskanews is leaving Scripps and his role as National Correspondent for The Now this Friday. [MEDIA=twitter]884455063221129216[/MEDIA] It was always a little enjoyable to see him on WTMJ after knowing him on here for so many years. Best of luck in whatever you do next, Todd![/QUOTE] Had no idea I was following him and HelloDollyTheDog Instagram. Good luck!

So one station got rid of "The Now" (WRTV), and another one is starting it up.

WKBW is launching "The Now" in September (could start airing on the 4th) at 7pm, after World News Tonight.

Hannah Buehler will anchor the broadcast.

I was told the 30-minute version of The Now that WTMJ has was actually an experimental format, and it seems to be working. Not surprised that Scripps is rolling it out to other stations. I know WGBA also picked it up while retaining Wisconsin Tonight which is a good sign for some other stations (WMAR) who have yet to launch The Now but also have existing successful non-traditional news shows.

I'd also not be surprised if some of the existing "Now"s get reformatted to late afternoon/evening 30-minute shows.

• Like 1

*Rielle...

You could tell she was leaving because she finally got real.

A few weeks ago she was doing a live shot from a drive bye shooting in the hood....

Whoever wrote the lead-in to the live shot didn't realize that Crieghton was "in da hood" ..

"Shots rang out in this normally quiet Bay Terraces neighborhood....

...Rielle Crieghton is on the scene...."

The look on her face was priceless!

I could tell she wanted to say

"I'm in the fricking hood you dumb-asses...Everybody, except the idiot that wrote this lead-in KNOWS I'm in the Hood"

Well Good for her...she is a solid reporter and will enjoy the gators and fine moist weather in FL.

Rielle has resurfaced. She's now at WFOR.

• Like 1

I was told the 30-minute version of The Now that WTMJ has was actually an experimental format, and it seems to be working. Not surprised that Scripps is rolling it out to other stations. I know WGBA also picked it up while retaining Wisconsin Tonight which is a good sign for some other stations (WMAR) who have yet to launch The Now but also have existing successful non-traditional news shows.

I'd also not be surprised if some of the existing "Now"s get reformatted to late afternoon/evening 30-minute shows.

I wouldn't be surprised if a new "The Now" on WEWS gets moved to 7pm, with the old "Now" becoming "News 5 at 4" in order to take on "Fox 8 News at 4" and "Snoozefest 19 at 4*"

*Out of respect for the City of Cleveland and due to the fact that WOIO's newscasts are boring as s*it these days, from henceforth I suggest we refer to WOIO's branding as "Snoozefest 19".

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if a new "The Now" on WEWS gets moved to 7pm, with the old "Now" becoming "News 5 at 4" in order to take on "Fox 8 News at 4" and "Snoozefest 19 at 4*"

*Out of respect for the City of Cleveland and due to the fact that WOIO's newscasts are boring as s*it these days, from henceforth I suggest we refer to WOIO's branding as "Snoozefest 19".

So it's "The Was" on WEWS......whew.

• Like 3

oooh not Snoozefest 19. Sad part is 19 starting to look better than 5 in news coverage. WEWS has gone to the dogs, and it even sad when 19 starts to become the gold standard over 5. 8 continues to lead.

The Now is not a bad concept per say, but it's a show that has to be perfectly set up to run smoothly, otherwise it turns into a small-market budget show.

Case in point, if the show involves having the anchor and reporters move around from location to location, they should make sure their set/studio doesn't look like crap. I don't even think KGTV notices that the floor in their studio looks horrendous. When you can see the floor/floor tiles start to bubble up then it's time for it to be redone.

• Like 3

Is this a sign of new L3's coming soon?

No... those are promo graphics that have been out for a few months (February I think)... WXYZ just started doing this too a couple days ago... it doesn't match anything....

• Like 3

Tulsa's Scripps outlet KJRH has released its morning anchor pair of Taniya Wright and Daniel Winn.

It's a shocker when you get fired before the end of sweeps. Now the station is looking for replacements.

Another shocker is Scripps giving away cash in Tulsa, San Diego,PHX and God knows what other markets...

During July.

That indicates the May book was awful...the pits....dreadful.....in all those markets(DMA)

• Like 1

No... those are promo graphics that have been out for a few months (February I think)... WXYZ just started doing this too a couple days ago... it doesn't match anything....

I've seen them in promos for the past few months, but tonight was the first time I've seen them used in the actual opening.

Another shocker is Scripps giving away cash in Tulsa, San Diego,PHX and God knows what other markets...

During July.

That indicates the May book was awful...the pits....dreadful.....in all those markets(DMA)

Detroit too... has been for over a year in sweeps...

If you have to "fly colors" during the July book...it's like saying ...

"Ha, Ha...you had to go to summer school !!"...

Totally embarrassing!

All the other stations get to skate thru the summer with the May numbers...and YOU gotta work !!

• Like 5

If you have to "fly colors" during the July book...it's like saying ...

"Ha, Ha...you had to go to summer school !!"...

Totally embarrassing!

All the other stations get to skate thru the summer with the May numbers...and YOU gotta work !!

Oh specifically July... no never mind we are spared the humiliation...