Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

Well that's what they did...

Revamped the show and it's 10 times better already...and It's only 10 mins into the show.

One thing...

Get Mary McKenzie into wardrobe and hair ASAP...she needs a more Ca. look.

They also have to do something about these lame ass live shots. hell just "puppy dog" the KUSI van and follow Dave Scott .

Edit: Ok get Mary Mac's hair under control and you will have a pretty solid team here...this really looks like a weekday morning crew...or a solid weekend 6p-l11p show crew.

Looks like VanHeftye is bumped up to the weekend evenings.(snooooze) according to a promo.

Mary Mac looks like she could be Vanessa's older sister. Seriously, if you're not looking closely, you can mistake one for the other. I had to do a double take at the gym this morning...that or I need glasses.

Jim is sooo much better than Robert Santos. No joke. Robert just puts people to sleep.

Melissa is a work in progress with the weather gig.

With all the talent changes at 10, they should really consider doing talent opens/rejoins. You really don't know who's going to even be anchoring any particular newscast since they make so many changes.

Edit: Mary Mac looks so milfy. Bonus points for the 25-54 Male demo.

Mary Mac looks like she could be Vanessa's older sister. Seriously, if you're not looking closely, you can mistake one for the other. I had to do a double take at the gym this morning...that or I need glasses.

Jim is sooo much better than Robert Santos. No joke. Robert just puts people to sleep.

Melissa is a work in progress with the weather gig.

With all the talent changes at 10, they should really consider doing talent opens/rejoins. You really don't know who's going to even be anchoring any particular newscast since they make so many changes.

Robert is a long-time friend of KBEX-TV and we KNOW he was capable of much more...but Patton did so much better.

Now about that Vanessa / Mary confusion.....

Buy the glasses...

I swear once you get her look situated, she could be dangerous...but that dress and that hair...she messed with it once already, but get Melissa to run her thru a few clothing stores to get that frumpy east coast look off her.

Vanessa has no fashion sense whatsoever...and once again the HAIR!

Otherwise I would have to say I was actually impressed...and that's not easy now days.

• Like 2

McMilf tried the virginal first communion look today in all white.

Somebody sure was paying attention to yesterdays aircheck.

The show actually has some pacing now, however the remotes are so bad I want to drink Drano. The weekly rotation of 10newbie freelancers is still hurting the show with uninspired live shots.

Overall nice fan service from Melissa and Mary, plenty of real smiles and Patton is solid.

I would feel comfortable placing this trio in any show slot...any day of the week.

I approve.

• Like 3

McMilf tried the virginal first communion look today in all white.

Somebody sure was paying attention to yesterdays aircheck.

The show actually has some pacing now, however the remotes are so bad I want to drink Drano. The weekly rotation of 10newbie freelancers is still hurting the show with uninspired live shots.

Overall nice fan service from Melissa and Mary, plenty of real smiles and Patton is solid.

I would feel comfortable placing this trio in any show slot...any day of the week.

I approve.

4pm would be perfect. Wink wink, nudge nudge, KGTV...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's been ages since I've turned on KGTV, and I see *this* tonight on the anchor desk in the studio. And who the hell are all of these new robotic "fresh out of college" reporters? It's like every single Fresno and Bakersfield reporter has been teleported to 10...

In other news I was Downtown earlier and saw poor Steve Fiorina knocked out and sleeping in the front of their live truck near the Federal Building around 2:30 PM. Get him out of his misery already!

[MEDIA=twitter]875519940668776449[/MEDIA]

• Like 2

It's been ages since I've turned on KGTV, and I see *this* tonight on the anchor desk in the studio. And who the hell are all of these new robotic "fresh out of college" reporters? It's like every single Fresno and Bakersfield reporter has been teleported to 10...

In other news I was Downtown earlier and saw poor Steve Fiorina knocked out and sleeping in the front of their live truck near the Federal Building around 2:30 PM. Get him out of his misery already!

[MEDIA=twitter]875519940668776449[/MEDIA]

Don't be surprised if they start pushing Kim and Steve out completely . They pushed Itica out, and they bumped Kim off the 5 pm in favor of Lindsay Peña. Seems like the kitty cat loving ND is very fond of these young pretty faces.

And I still can't see what the hell she sees in Ariel "garfield the cat" Wessler and Anne "lisp" State. They literally put me to sleep the few times I've tuned in.

• Like 1

Don't be surprised if they start pushing Kim and Steve out completely...

Oh that process has NOT so quietly already begun.

Now is the time when cat lady will try out some new anchor teams...right under everyone's noses.

Now is when most the longer and older employees are forced to take vacations, because it's a no-no to vacate during the big 3 books....and they have time built up unliike newer or the parttimers/day hires.

The ND's use the guise of "vacation shuffle"to try out new anchor combos.

it also pisses off the main anchors by messing with ego's and aegyo.

Anchors get fired on vacation all the time so they are always apprehensive to even take vacation time.

I don't know what the current policy on vacation buy-back is, but i'm sure it's not generous in any form. beside what kind of fool buys back/cash out vacation time anyway?

So watch for the funny combos for the next 8 weeks.

Oh that process has NOT so quietly already begun.

Now is the time when cat lady will try out some new anchor teams...right under everyone's noses.

Now is when most the longer and older employees are forced to take vacations, because it's a no-no to vacate during the big 3 books....and they have time built up unliike newer or the parttimers/day hires.

The ND's use the guise of "vacation shuffle"to try out new anchor combos.

it also pisses off the main anchors by messing with ego's and aegyo.

Anchors get fired on vacation all the time so they are always apprehensive to even take vacation time.

I don't know what the current policy on vacation buy-back is, but i'm sure it's not generous in any form. beside what kind of fool buys back/cash out vacation time anyway?

So watch for the funny combos for the next 8 weeks.

So how long before the Shlongs and Linds wind up as the 11pm team? I give it before the Nov. Book. Then they'll push Kim and Steve down to the earlier shows before they get shown the door. I wonder what excuse they'll use then? When Robert was canned, they used the old BS line that he "wanted to take up other interests he was passionate about", "do some other things that he's always wanted to do", etc. The way he worded it on air was so forced, you could tell even he clearly did not want to go along with it. It was cringe-worthy, I shit you not.

This lady clearly has a preference in hiring young/inexperienced news peeps. I guess it must make her feel comfortable being around the young crowd--maybe she relishes the mother hen role and it also helps that Scripps is basically OKing these hires since it's saving them money.

One thing is for certain, if the station was doing so well, then there'd be no need to give out these $1000 gift cards during sweeps....

• Like 2

So how long before the Shlongs and Linds wind up as the 11pm team? I give it before the Nov. Book. Then they'll push Kim and Steve down to the earlier shows before they get shown the door. I wonder what excuse they'll use then? When Robert was canned, they used the old BS line that he "wanted to take up other interests he was passionate about", "do some other things that he's always wanted to do", etc. The way he worded it on air was so forced, you could tell even he clearly did not want to go along with it. It was cringe-worthy, I shit you not.

This lady clearly has a preference in hiring young/inexperienced news peeps. I guess it must make her feel comfortable being around the young crowd--maybe she relishes the mother hen role and it also helps that Scripps is basically OKing these hires since it's saving them money.

One thing is for certain, if the station was doing so well, then there'd be no need to give out these $1000 gift cards during sweeps....

They will allow Steve and Kim to go gracefully...Kimba the latter. Both will get the "Bill Griffith treatment" and continue to shill for alarm companies and fat doctors in those superspots at the end of the 11am show. Kim may even land one of those sponsored Italian cruises where viewers come aboard and bother and stalk you for 2 weeks.

I'm gonna blow a gasket over the reporters at KGTV just like i sense you are. Those reporters are what she is stuck with...and it's a looooong story on how they get (or not get) to SD.

• Like 2

Brian Abel has moved from KSHB to WXYZ where he is a reporter. I saw him for the first time tonight... needs some work but he'll catch on...

Forgot he left KSHB. I agree that he needs work, but I won't miss him. I never really thought he was that good. His presentation and the way he carries himself is odd.

Speaking of KSHB, they've had a ton of turnover (again) recently. They simply cannot get people to stay. I think their news director needs to go if they want to fix that problem. I've heard she puts down employees and tells them what they're doing wrong far more often than she does encouraging them or telling them things they did well with their work.

• 2 weeks later...
Did Scripps can The Now? WRTV isn't airing it anymore, moving Judge Judy back to 4 and putting Right This Minute on at 3.

WEWS is still airing The Now. I wouldn't be surprised if they retool it as "News 5 at Four."

Speaking of WEWS, are they picking up that new talk show that Scripps is supposed to be airing?

Did Scripps can The Now? WRTV isn't airing it anymore, moving Judge Judy back to 4 and putting Right This Minute on at 3.

Other than Indianapolis, what Scripps markets do not have The Now? Try to give me a complete list.

Other than Indianapolis, what Scripps markets do not have The Now? Try to give me a complete list.

Tucson - KGUN 9

Bakersfield - KERO 23

Fort Myers - WFTX 36 (Cable 4)

Boise/Twin Falls - KIVI 6/KSAW 51

Baltimore - WMAR 2 (Scripps' weakest station so understandable)

Omaha - KMTV 3

Las Vegas - KTNV 13

Buffalo - WKBW 7

Tulsa - KJRH 2

Nashville - WTVF 5

Green Bay - WGBA 26

How were some stations, especially some of the original Scripps stations, get out of running it? There were rumors a long time ago KSHB was trying to axe it because it absolutely murdered their 5 and 6pm shows, but they're still airing it. They were one of the two test stations for it as well.

How were some stations, especially some of the original Scripps stations, get out of running it? There were rumors a long time ago KSHB was trying to axe it because it absolutely murdered their 5 and 6pm shows, but they're still airing it. They were one of the two test stations for it as well.

I'm not sure why WRTV got out of it. Maybe they realized The Now was hurting their 5pm and 6pm ratings.:rolleyes: Anyways, what was the other test station for The Now? I forgot if I knew that before.

KMGH Denver

Thanks. However, The Now should not have been created in the first place. I know Scripps was trying to be creative, but The Now might be the reason why KXTV and WTSP now have social media newscasts for EVERY newscast. Having WRTV not having it anymore, as well as the fact it's not on every Scripps station, and the fact its at 4pm only (unlike those 2 TEGNA stations) helps. It's Scripps' fault, and ESPECIALLY Denver 7 and 41 Action News' fault.

I don't think that WOIO has a social media disaster fest like KXTV or WTSP. It's a bland Raycom station that has a few social media stories, yes. However, it's nowhere near the disasters at WTSP or even KXTV.

Did not realize that. However, considering how many people are cutting the cord and moving to OTT (over-the-top) services (like Sling TV, YouTube TV, PS Now and DirecTV Now), and the fact that now more people check local news on their mobile devices, the fact that those social media newscasts such as The Now were created might be to get viewers (especially younger people) back to watching local news on TV. The Now and other social media newscasts should have been done for as fast as Sonic the Hedgehog. They generate negative ratings.

• Like 1

Tucson - KGUN 9

Bakersfield - KERO 23

Fort Myers - WFTX 36 (Cable 4)

Boise/Twin Falls - KIVI 6/KSAW 51

Baltimore - WMAR 2 (Scripps' weakest station so understandable)

Omaha - KMTV 3

Las Vegas - KTNV 13

Buffalo - WKBW 7

Tulsa - KJRH 2

Nashville - WTVF 5

Green Bay - WGBA 26

WKBW is also understandable, since 1) they're trying to rebuild their ratings after years of Granite mismanagement, and 2) they have the longtime advertorial "AM Buffalo" at 10am (recently truncated to 30 minutes).