Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

I don't know where some stations will be able to commit to this; WTMJ already has their advertorial and The Real (the first thing that might stick for them in the ex-Santa Barbara timeslot since Montel) and that's it, unless they decide to give up RTM to another station and shove The List to after-Carson Daly territory.

The problem is if Ben Aaron can make this work; his co-host was driven off Crazy Talk three months before its cancellation (we still don't know why but it can be inferred 'we hit the wrong demo' easily) and it basically got killed when he decided 'enough' and followed his wife to Dancing with the Stars. If he's going to do this, it has to be until May this time.

I don't know where some stations will be able to commit to this; WTMJ already has their advertorial and The Real (the first thing that might stick for them in the ex-Santa Barbara timeslot since Montel) and that's it, unless they decide to give up RTM to another station and shove The List to after-Carson Daly territory.

Quite a few Scripps stations carry Steve Harvey and when his new show's launch was announced, Scripps was conspicuously absent from the list of station groups carrying the new show (so was Hearst, now that I think about it). I wonder if this will replace it in their markets.

Scripps says they could be a buyer it the right deal comes up.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/103560/scripps-chance-of-acquisitions-possible

Doing a quick scan of TV markets 10-100 and there are a few possibilities:

--Raleigh/Durham + Fresno: I could see a scenario where ABC cashes out of the region and decides to sell WTVD. (It also gives them a solid #2 in a growing Southeast market.) Same deal with KFSN, except they get a significant market leader.

--Columbus: Word was that the Wolfe family was looking to sell, but as it turns out, that wasn't the case. However, if Scripps gives them a nice offer for WBNS, could they change their minds?

--Oklahoma City/Tulsa: I don't know enough about KOTV/KWTV's ownership situation, but if Griffin were looking to get out of the business, Scripps would make a lot of sense, wouldn't it?

--Providence: WLNE's probably too far gone, but Scripps could probably buy it and give it a WKBW-style revamp.

Just thinking out loud...

• Like 3

--Raleigh/Durham + Fresno: I could see a scenario where ABC cashes out of the region and decides to sell WTVD. (It also gives them a solid #2 in a growing Southeast market.) Same deal with KFSN, except they get a significant market leader.

--Columbus: Word was that the Wolfe family was looking to sell, but as it turns out, that wasn't the case. However, if Scripps gives them a nice offer for WBNS, could they change their minds?

--Oklahoma City/Tulsa: I don't know enough about KOTV/KWTV's ownership situation, but if Griffin were looking to get out of the business, Scripps would make a lot of sense, wouldn't it?

--Providence: WLNE's probably too far gone, but Scripps could probably buy it and give it a WKBW-style revamp.

Scripps already owns KJRH in Tulsa, so they wouldn't be able to buy KOTV. (And while they'd be able to buy WBNS, they wouldn't be able to outright purchase WTHR in Indianapolis since they currently own WRTV.)

Scripps already owns KJRH in Tulsa, so they wouldn't be able to buy KOTV. (And while they'd be able to buy WBNS, they wouldn't be able to outright purchase WTHR in Indianapolis since they currently own WRTV.)

Here hoping Hearst would buy BNS/THR. An employee at BNS said they would love to see that, because of Hearst' strong ownership. I agreed with them, because I wanted TEGNA to get BNS/THR but TEGNA flirting with Nexstar(no bueno ) on that idea.

• Like 3

No here hoping that BNS would never be Scripps orbit. Hearst would keep the legacy alive!

• Like 2

I probably shouldn't post at 1:30am...thanks!

You bring up WTHR...would the Wolfes want to sell both stations to a single owner or split it between two? Ideally, I'd think they'd want to deal with one owner (i.e. Scripps), but since there's a conflict in Indy, Scripps getting both is out of the questions.

That also means that we can count Sinclair and Nexstar out of buying WBNS, too ;)

You bring up WTHR...would the Wolfes want to sell both stations to a single owner or split it between two? Ideally, I'd think they'd want to deal with one owner (i.e. Scripps), but since there's a conflict in Indy, Scripps getting both is out of the questions.

That also means that we can count Sinclair and Nexstar out of buying WBNS, too ;)

I would think they would sell to one company to get the deal done, but Scripps has turned into a big joke just like TEGNA. I think at the time Wolfes will keep both stations in their hands, but I do think down the road they will sell. I was told the children don't want the business. However, the family has alot in real estate.

• Like 1

WKBW recently cut AM Buffalo from a hour to a half-hour and added a hour-long Saturday edition at 9am after GMA Weekend. Right This Minute now airs weekdays at 10:30am.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/24/buffalo-quietly-cut-half-weekdays-adds-saturday-hour-edition/

The logical path for "AM Bflo" has to be 12:30pm.

I'm wondering if the Saturday morning edition is temporary so as to honor some existing sponsor contracts.

• Like 1

You're forgetting both WBNS/1460 and WBNS/97.1. Those two are literal ATMs with the tOSU play-by-play rights.

New from the vault of unprofessional Scripps fun comes this gem of an FAQ about an on-air contest WXYZ is running to give $1000 away every day for 2 weeks as long as you are watching when they announce your name. Never mind how desperate that is. This is pretty sarcastic and snarky:

Here are our most frequently asked questions in regards to this contest.

Do I need to fill out all the information on the entry page?

Yes! It’s how we would identify you in the event you win and call in. All the fields are required.

What if I don’t have an email?

Sorry, you need a valid email to enter. No exceptions. It’s part of the rules.

Do I need to enter every day?

No. Once you’ve entered, you’re in for the duration of the contest.

What number do I call if I see my name?

We will provide the number when we announce the winner on the air. HINT: The number will NOT be the main station number or newsroom hotline. Please keep those lines open.

Should I call in if I missed the announcement?

No, because we won’t tell you if you won or not. You need to watch. And we want to be courteous to the winner and make sure they get through.

What happens if there is no winner?

The $1,000 will roll over to the next day’s drawing.

I get they want younger viewers but sounding like an jerk isn't the way to do it...

• Like 1

New from the vault of unprofessional Scripps fun comes this gem of an FAQ about an on-air contest WXYZ is running to give $1000 away every day for 2 weeks as long as you are watching when they announce your name. Never mind how desperate that is. This is pretty sarcastic and snarky:

Eh, I've read and heard much worse from radio station contest rules, especially from stations who treated having to dole them out as a minute-long announcement with utter and hateful contempt (there's nothing that ruins a day more than an awful morning host trying to make contest rules 'funny'). One of the best FCC rules of the last ten years was allowing a 'see the website' disclaimer and leaving it at that.

I will admit though, I play a 'text-the-keyword' contest daily with their local TV station during sweeps. The station is very comfortably #1 in the market and it's for a trip, so it doesn't bother me as much as desperate 'please justify our purchase of Modern Family reruns by being caller #56 to win a $45.29 Jimmy John's gift certificate' contests.

• Like 2

You wouldn't believe how many moronic sweepstakes questions come into newsroom phones. "Why didn't you idiots run Wake up and Win this morning?" Or my favorite, "I missed the Wake up and Win codeword, can you tell me what it was?"

And of course because they call into the newsroom but nobody in news cares or even really knows any of the rules that sales set up, the best answer anyone can muster is to go online and look up the rules. To which a not insignificant amount of people will say "well I don't have a computer!"

You wouldn't believe how many moronic sweepstakes questions come into newsroom phones. "Why didn't you idiots run Wake up and Win this morning?" Or my favorite, "I missed the Wake up and Win codeword, can you tell me what it was?"

And of course because they call into the newsroom but nobody in news cares or even really knows any of the rules that sales set up, the best answer anyone can muster is to go online and look up the rules. To which a not insignificant amount of people will say "well I don't have a computer!"

Professionalism is being pissed off at the annoying people calling the newsroom but not showing it... not writing it in your FAQ and making it obvious.... but as newsrooms decline so does the talent level across the board, then nobody cares and the spiral continues...

Greetings from market 12 er... 212.... a Police Officer was shot in Detroit around 11 tonight. WXYZ now has an hour long 11pm on Sunday and they were doing a live report at 1158 on the story and mid sentence the reporter was cut off and they dumped right into commercials since it was automatically scheduled to end. How wonderfully embarrassing. One would hope there are ways to override the automation in the event they have to run longer. One would be wrong it would seem...

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
New graphics for WKBW 11 o'clock news teaser.

Ooh those are pretty. They look like an update to the update they rolled out about a year ago. Is it only for promos/teasers or did they get a new open as well?