Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

Anyone know what's up with this? Few days ago, was driving on the freeway and spotted a older series KGTV van, still sporting the older graphics and paint scheme. No mast or any equipment on the roof, and it looked like it hadn't had a wash in a long time. No chance to take a photo, but it was the exact same one (or similar) to this photo taken in 2015. I really doubt it's owned by KGTV still, although with them you never know. And if it was privately owned, wouldn't KGTV take off all branding (as well as the microwave dishes and equipment) before selling it?

[MEDIA=flickr]15925648763[/MEDIA]

Well if it was sold, knowing how cheap Scripps is, this is advertising to them for free.

• Like 1

Is there a possibility that the truck is still used by KGTV? It may not be of use for news gathering but could handle outside production needs.

No, it's no longer owned by the station. FTVLive had a little story on it last year. IIRC, this live truck was sh*t canned when Scripps took over.

• Like 1

No, it's no longer owned by the station. FTVLive had a little story on it last year. IIRC, this live truck was sh*t canned when Scripps took over.

I'm dead serious about someone living in that van...

Ok maybe it's not John Coleman.

But someone is living in there.

• Like 1

I'm dead serious about someone living in that van...

Ok maybe it's not John Coleman.

But someone is living in there.

Oh I believe it. Especially if it still has the generator on it. Plus you can tell the thing is trash filled and rodent infested... must have gotten them from KGTV.

Oh I believe it. Especially if it still has the generator on it. Plus you can tell the thing is trash filled and rodent infested... must have gotten them from KGTV.

Holy Guac!

I bet it's Bill Griffith living in that old truck, KGTV never really could get rid of him. He just hangs out all day with his walker, by the KGTV cafeteria...playing Uno with Marie Coronel.

BTW...

Generators are the first things salvaged by engineers (stolen) who use them for replacements in their personal RV's and ham shacks.

If you ask the engineer "what happened to that generator from the old live truck?'

You get this canned response..

"Oh that old crappy generator was a piece of dooky....so I threw it away".

• Like 2

Holy Guac!

I bet it's Bill Griffith living in that old truck, KGTV never really could get rid of him. He just hangs out all day with his walker, by the KGTV cafeteria...playing Uno with Marie Coronel,

Speaking of Marie. Is she coming back? It's coming up on a year since her accident, and I doubt that any workman's comp/disability will last her that long. Plus she's still tweeting from her 10news Twitter account. Same goes for Renee Nelson, she's been gone since September, very little about her situation--other than illness.

Speaking of Marie. Is she coming back? It's coming up on a year since her accident, and I doubt that any workman's comp/disability will last her that long. Plus she's still tweeting from her 10news Twitter account. Same goes for Renee Nelson, she's been gone since September, very little about her situation--other than illness.

I hope Renee is OK. I kinda started crushing on her after a few months. Kaylina Astrinos was brought in from Bako where she got her first TV gig. Before that she was doing traffic for TTN and filling in for Angel Martinez on KFI and on Conway's show. She is capable...but like all Scripps hires she is still very green out in the field, and KGTV has wayyyyy toooo many greenies out there right now.

As far as Marie Coronel

It's going to be up to the lawyers...

No lawsuit have been filed as of yet, but should KGTV really be on the hook for all of this???

That's the elephant in the newsroom that NOBODY at KGTV want's to discuss.

Ya see KGTV paid her to cover a dangerous storm where it was known that very well known trees had fallen down on cars and crap. There may even be cops and firefighters willing to testify that she and her photog were both advised to be careful of falling trees.

Marie and photog will testify that KGTV Mgmt encouraged them to "be bold" and "think out of the box" for sexy active staud-ups. See where there could be a little issue? She has to be way out of her contract by now so Scripps would love to dump that paper.

KGTV didn't tell them to stand under a friggin tree and get crushed like a bunch of grapes.

Granted both were wearing the required green safety vest so they could be found quickly by the local arborist.

I think she is (was) already done at KGTV before the incident...both sides are looking for a "graceful" exit...but both sides are kinda equally screwed.

Who's gonna pay those continued bills....

Stay tuned....

I hope Renee is OK. I kinda started crushing on her after a few months. Kaylina Astrinos was brought in from Bako where she got her first TV gig. Before that she was doing traffic for TTN and filling in for Angel Martinez on KFI and on Conway's show. She is capable...but like all Scripps hires she is still very green out in the field, and KGTV has wayyyyy toooo many greenies out there right now.

As far as Marie Coronel

It's going to be up to the lawyers...

No lawsuit have been filed as of yet, but should KGTV really be on the hook for all of this???

That's the elephant in the newsroom that NOBODY at KGTV want's to discuss.

Ya see KGTV paid her to cover a dangerous storm where it was known that very well known trees had fallen down on cars and crap. There may even be cops and firefighters willing to testify that she and her photog were both advised to be careful of falling trees.

Marie and photog will testify that KGTV Mgmt encouraged them to "be bold" and "think out of the box" for sexy active staud-ups. See where there could be a little issue? She has to be way out of her contract by now so Scripps would love to dump that paper.

KGTV didn't tell them to stand under a friggin tree and get crushed like a bunch of grapes.

Granted both were wearing the required green safety vest so they could be found quickly by the local arborist.

I think she is (was) already done at KGTV before the incident...both sides are looking for a "graceful" exit...but both sides are kinda equally screwed.

Who's gonna pay those continued bills....

Stay tuned....

Renee mentioned on Twitter that she expects to be back at the end of this month. Thing is she said the same thing back in Oct/Nov. Interesting bit that they hired Kalyna to do only traffic and not the live center, so if Renee comes back, they'll have 5 people on the morning news. Too much, considering they're not winning the time slots.

As for Marie, hard to say what the deal is with her situation. I do remember reading that the tree hit her basically square in the head (something like you would see in the cartoons, if you can imagine it), which led to her vertebrae being squashed. With those types of injuries, she's going to have permanent damage... sad to say. Will she be able to one day come back and work in the same capacity? who knows, but like you said, both sides are screwed. And clearly they moved on from her since they hired a replacement that basically looks like a younger Marie Coronel... Mimi Elkhalla.

• Like 2

Plus you can tell the thing is trash filled

Are we talking the standard amount of trash inside a live truck, or more??

I can't imagine most stations selling a truck without removing the wrap.... but I can imagine a Scripps station doing that for some reason.

• Like 1

Are we talking the standard amount of trash inside a live truck, or more??

I can't imagine most stations selling a truck without removing the wrap.... but I can imagine a Scripps station doing that for some reason.

One can safely assume that if they couldn't bother to remove the wrap off the van, then they sure as hell couldn't have been bothered to take their trash out.

I randomly remembered that another Scripps station did this, but at least the new owner was going to re-wrap the truck anyways. KJRH sold two trucks to Eric Wotila/MI News 26 and left logos on the trucks then too.

[MEDIA=instagram]5dESUZrVe4[/MEDIA]

Renee mentioned on Twitter that she expects to be back at the end of this month. Thing is she said the same thing back in Oct/Nov. Interesting bit that they hired Kalyna to do only traffic and not the live center, so if Renee comes back, they'll have 5 people on the morning news. Too much, considering they're not winning the time slots.

As for Marie, hard to say what the deal is with her situation. I do remember reading that the tree hit her basically square in the head (something like you would see in the cartoons, if you can imagine it), which led to her vertebrae being squashed. With those types of injuries, she's going to have permanent damage... sad to say. Will she be able to one day come back and work in the same capacity? who knows, but like you said, both sides are screwed. And clearly they moved on from her since they hired a replacement that basically looks like a younger Marie Coronel... Mimi Elkhalla.

Scripps hires for one thing, but everyone kinda ends up doing everything.

BTW Mimi already earned her super secret news handle/ radio code name...

"Sphinx"

The code names are a "Term of endearment" and is decided by a secret drunken committee from San Diego Press Club, SPJ and Deja Girls (Midway Drive). Not all reporters are lucky enough to have a secret code name.

• Like 4

Scripps hires for one thing, but everyone kinda ends up doing everything.

BTW Mimi already earned her super secret news handle/ radio code name...

"Sphinx"

The code names are a "Term of endearment" and is decided by a secret drunken committee from San Diego Press Club, SPJ and Deja Girls (Midway Drive). Not all reporters are lucky enough to have a secret code name.

What did she do to get that pet name? And i'm guessing Marie's became "Tree hugger?"... Too soon for a joke?...I'll show my way out now.

What did she do to get that pet name? And i'm guessing Marie's became "Tree hugger?"... Too soon for a joke?...I'll show my way out now.

"George"

George Of the Jungle...

Watch Out For That Tree...

In the newsbiz...it's NEVER too soon.

EatNews

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...