Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

A set and graphics change isn't going to move the needle in the ratings.

The Green Bay market has a population that is older and its hard to change their habits. When Journal bought the station in the early 2000's they did pour a lot of money into the station but the ratings were still low. Maybe one of the other stations will mess up and then WGBA can grab some viewers?

WGBA has low overhead and makes a little money. A company like Scripps isn't going try to compete.

The problem was Journal tried to 'bureauize' WGBA as mostly run out of Milwaukee rather than having it stand on its own, which it was doing just fine pre-Journal, if not a full-throated effort (it pretty much matched WDJT's trajectory), and they really didn't spend a lot (until 2016 it was almost ran like it was in 1996 outside of paint and wallpaper coats on the set and LCD's replacing CRT's). It just stunted the heck out of them and come the Dark Ages of 2009 when it was run nearly in full out of Capitol Drive and the Milwaukee morning show was aired to no interested eyeballs and an all-infomercial afternoon, there was no point to doing more. I'm just glad Scripps is doing something to differentiate it from TMJ.

Maybe one of the other stations will mess up and then WGBA can grab some viewers?

Nexstar has been doing a pretty good job at that with WFRV aready. I don't have access to ratings data, but I wouldn't be surprised if 26 is beating 5 in the time slots in which they compete head-to-head. I would also expect that Wisconsin Tonight is fairing better than WFRV's 6:30 news rehash of the previous three hours.

There's no doubt that WLUK and WBAY have the most polished presentation in the Green Bay market, but WGBA is really putting out a decent product these days.

Nexstar has been doing a pretty good job at that with WFRV aready. I don't have access to ratings data, but I wouldn't be surprised if 26 is beating 5 in the time slots in which they compete head-to-head. I would also expect that Wisconsin Tonight is fairing better than WFRV's 6:30 news rehash of the previous three hours.

There's no doubt that WLUK and WBAY have the most polished presentation in the Green Bay market, but WGBA is really putting out a decent product these days.

There's no doubt that WBAY is clearly the winner in that market with WLUK being a strong second. I think thanks to Nexstar, WFRV is in last and for once, WGBA will catch up! Good for them.

Ugh. These are so cheaply designed!

They're not THAT bad. The talent opens are the most personalized things these stations get with this central package. None of them are the exact same. Besides, I think the subtle transition elements (like the clouds for weather and cars for traffic) was clever.

Has anyone seen these outside of Live At Daybreak? I haven't. When do they usually air them?

I don't know about ratings or backstage news production but I think WFRV has the better team then WGBA. WBAY's is good too, but could use some changing.

A set and graphics change isn't going to move the needle in the ratings.

The Green Bay market has a population that is older and its hard to change their habits. When Journal bought the station in the early 2000's they did pour a lot of money into the station but the ratings were still low. Maybe one of the other stations will mess up and then WGBA can grab some viewers?

WGBA has low overhead and makes a little money. A company like Scripps isn't going try to compete.

To be said, from all accounts I've heard WGBA had lots of potential and was growing audience is first few years (1995-99, especially when late WISC legend Tedd McConnell was there and built the department from scratch.), once Jay Zollar jumped to WLUK, combined with short-sighted moves by predecessors in both the later Aries and Journal era (Remember the infamous financial and ratings mess when Journal bought them and tried the tabloid route with John Shelby as ND in the mid-00's.), their image with the community (advertisers and viewers) was destroyed. It was been a very tough last decade for them (Larry McCarren's stint was a good first step), but it looks Scripps, along with new ND Julie Moravchik have the most progress so far in rehabilitating NBC26's image in the community and making it respectful once again after it was badly damaged (and almost burned to the ground) by Journal.

To be said, from all accounts I've heard WGBA had lots of potential and was growing audience is first few years (1995-99, especially when late WISC legend Tedd McConnell was there and built the department from scratch.), once Jay Zollar jumped to WLUK, combined with short-sighted moves by predecessors in both the later Aries and Journal era (Remember the infamous financial and ratings mess when Journal bought them and tried the tabloid route with John Shelby as ND in the mid-00's.), their image with the community (advertisers and viewers) was destroyed. It was been a very tough last decade for them (Larry McCarren's stint was a good first step), but it looks Scripps, along with new ND Julie Moravchik have the most progress so far in rehabilitating NBC26's image in the community and making it respectful once again after it was badly damaged (and almost burned to the ground) by Journal.

Aries had deep financial problems and couldn't compete, the news room was barebone. The only time WGBA had news personal levels that were comparable to the other stations in the market was the first five years or so Journal owned the station, not seeing ratings gains like Journal wanted and the recession deeply hurt the station after that time period. I think losing Larry McCarren hurts (you need recognizable people to get viewers). The other stations have double the news staff WGBA has and so far since Scripps ownership hasn't increase it any.

• Like 2

Aries had deep financial problems and couldn't compete, the news room was barebone. The only time WGBA had news personal levels that were comparable to the other stations in the market was the first five years or so Journal owned the station, not seeing ratings gains like Journal wanted and the recession deeply hurt the station after that time period. I think losing Larry McCarren hurts (you need recognizable people to get viewers). The other stations have double the news staff WGBA has and so far since Scripps ownership hasn't increase it any.

scripps is barely investing in WGBA outside of (necessary) technology upgrades. vizrt/the virtual set and HD news are a sign of that. keeping the staff lean makes me feel that they are going to try to "flip" the station. green bay seems too small market for scripps, and i bet they dump it in the future. same goes for WSYM in lansing.

WGBA and WTMJ getting talent opens at the exact same time is no coincidence. TMJ's art department is operating as a partial extension of the scripps graphics hub, doing the graphics transitions of the journal group. that's why the rollout is so slow.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Get what WCPO's GM describes his reasoning of an eight month vacancy of their news director position:

“This is an extraordinary station with a rich history and a progressive future. This news director job is like no other in the country with the broadcast and digital resources we have to cover the Tri-State.”

Aside from their focus on digital and a paywall how is this different from other stations that are digital heavy? I mean they are DMA 36 and not the top 10.

• Like 1

Get what WCPO's GM describes his reasoning of an eight month vacancy of their news director position:

“This is an extraordinary station with a rich history and a progressive future. This news director job is like no other in the country with the broadcast and digital resources we have to cover the Tri-State.”

Aside from their focus on digital and a paywall how is this different from other stations that are digital heavy? I mean they are DMA 36 and not the top 10.

English translation: If you won't work for food, do NOT apply.

• Like 1

scripps is barely investing in WGBA outside of (necessary) technology upgrades. vizrt/the virtual set and HD news are a sign of that. keeping the staff lean makes me feel that they are going to try to "flip" the station. green bay seems too small market for scripps, and i bet they dump it in the future. same goes for WSYM in lansing.

Who would buy WGBA and run it any differently? S!nclair, Nexstar and Gray already have stations in the market and are not going to trade down for what is effectively a pseuo-semi-satellite of WTMJ.

Who would buy WGBA and run it any differently? S!nclair, Nexstar and Gray already have stations in the market and are not going to trade down for what is effectively a pseuo-semi-satellite of WTMJ.

Hearst? Tegna?

WGBA and WTMJ getting talent opens at the exact same time is no coincidence. TMJ's art department is operating as a partial extension of the scripps graphics hub, doing the graphics transitions of the journal group. that's why the rollout is so slow.

We may have reached peak TVNewstalk forums! Congrats everyone!

They aren't going to unload a duopoly in a swing state. And they certainly aren't going to do so with a rationale that market 68 is too small for them when they just specifically went out and got WKBW a few years ago in market 53. They've held onto KJRH in market 60 for decades. And Tucson and Omaha are looking up at Green Bay.

The entire industry is getting lean. That's not a trend that is ever going to reverse. Everybody is going towards consolidating things like graphics and traffic.

• Like 2

We may have reached peak TVNewstalk forums! Congrats everyone!

They aren't going to unload a duopoly in a swing state. And they certainly aren't going to do so with a rationale that market 68 is too small for them when they just specifically went out and got WKBW a few years ago in market 53. They've held onto KJRH in market 60 for decades. And Tucson and Omaha are looking up at Green Bay.

The entire industry is getting lean. That's not a trend that is ever going to reverse. Everybody is going towards consolidating things like graphics and traffic.

And the coup de grace...

Regional hubbing of local sales...

Oh they wish!

• Like 2

Surprised no one mentioned that Scripps is now in a hiring freeze and new hires at certain stations must get corporate approval first. Probably part of the reason why WCPO has so many unfilled positions.

But with all that money Scripps has saved from their in-house syndicated programming, they should be rolling in the dough, right? :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Surprised no one mentioned that Scripps is now in a hiring freeze and new hires at certain stations must get corporate approval first. Probably part of the reason why WCPO has so many unfilled positions.

But with all that money Scripps has saved from their in-house syndicated programming, they should be rolling in the dough, right? :rolleyes:

First off ...

Thank God they are in a hiring freeze because the last 10 on-air hires in San Diego have been complete DOGS!

As in crappy reporters that chase dog bite and senseless garbage stories. It's the "Awe shucks" ...it's another stolen porch package with crappy suspect video..and a prop driven lamer stand-up.

Stop the pain!

Second....

They are rolling in the dough...and I expect a nice return on my media portfolio this quarter ,so they better kick-down for us

"investors".

I have NO shame.

• Like 2

First off ...

Thank God they are in a hiring freeze because the last 10 on-air hires in San Diego have been complete DOGS!

As in crappy reporters that chase dog bite and senseless garbage stories. It's the "Awe shucks" ...it's another stolen porch package with crappy suspect video..and a prop driven lamer stand-up.

Stop the pain!

That would seem like more of a ND and producer problem for continually allowing those types of stories to air.

• Like 1

That would seem like more of a ND and producer problem for continually allowing those types of stories to air.

No, it's the Scripps "Stories That Matter" garbage. The ND and producers all follow the same mantra.

Here is the text of a poster that is hanging in the KGTV conference room...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

10 News

Stories that matter

*Drought (needs updating)

*Crime in my Neighborhood

*Quality of my kids education

*Making Ends Meet

*Making the most of my (limited time)

*Being the hero of my own life

*Feeling positive about my world.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What a wonderful inspirational poster. (gag)

Be a friggin Hero?

• Like 1