Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

It should be pointed out WTMJ's version of The Now is so much different than what other Scripps stations are doing. WTMJ doesn't air the social media or viral video garbage, its mostly locally produced feature stories and its 30 minutes. The only things that are the same is the graphics, the name and the hosts dresses casual. My guess is that WTMJ was forced to use "The Now" name when local management wanted to retool the 6:30 half hour and then they got to do whatever they wanted...

It also leads into primetime so numbers are going to be definitely better than the other stations where it's in mid-afternoon, and WTMJ has nothing to lose since it's basically a race to second with Wheel on WDJT leading everything, while WISN and WITI have their infotainment shows that are quickly losing mass appeal. It also helps that WTMJ is now a 'hard news first' operation on both sides of the camera rather than the tabloid Berra era, and of course...Packers coverage. On the nights Larry McCarren isn't holding court by himself or with Mike McCarthy pre-empting it, that alone keeps viewers coming in rather than 'today's viral idiot of the day'.

scripps corporate had nothing to do with the "denver 7" rebrand... which is why all the initial graphics sucked... if anyone wasn't too impressed by the rebrand, it was the scripps home office...

The whole company is a large dumpster fire...

• Like 1

That's more like corporate overruled him.

Actually, they basically told him that it was a dumb idea, but since he was pushing hard for it, that he could have his way and if sweeps reports showed otherwise, his ass was canned. But his, and to a large extent Remington's reports keep showing massaged numbers. Corporate doesn't get the reports to poor over and make decisions. It's up to the GM to report the numbers, ironically.

WEWS's Instagram profile name has been altered to "news5cleveland." That would leave their Twitter account that still uses the "NewsChannel 5" name.

I have a feeling that the rebrand will take place next week (also the start of the fall TV season). And it will be nothing more than a simple phase-out of "Channel."

FTVlive picked up on WEWS's identity crisis...

It's been in the making ever since they ditched the "NewsChannel" from their bug and started referring to themselves as "Channel 5" in non-news time periods.

However, I think they will fare much better than Raycom has done with "Cleveland 19".

I wish they would have NEVER ditched the original "Circle 5". The 1998 "NewsChannel" version was tolerable, but the 2004 mess of a logo set WEWS into the tailspin it has become over the last decade. The relaunch in 2007 was never the same. And since then, even WPTV has thickened their logo, which plays off the original much better.

Cleveland was such a late-comer to the website game, that NewsNet5 was the FIRST full-fledged, full-time website of a top-4 station in Cleveland. NewsChannel5.com had been snatched up by now-sister station WTVF long before Cleveland could get WEWS.com up and running.... (WJW was first with their part-time website in 1995 powered by ZDepth, followed by WBNX in 1996).

It wasn't until 2000 that ALL of the Cleveland stations were online. WOIO and WUAB were the last and only because they sold their souls (and the rest of Raycom) to WorldNow.

• Like 1

Scripps debut a new political show called "The Race" on their stations today that will run through the election. Air times vary wildly with some (like WTMJ) airing it in the early morning while others air it late at night. It's being produced by The Now, but other Scripps properties are contributing to it (like DecodeDC and Newsy)

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/scripps-debuts-national-political-show/177798

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

WXYZ is apparently tinkering with their main set... they have been using their ancillary set since Saturday. This plus their new VO makes me think there may be some changes when the VIZ switch finally happens which may be soon...

WXYZ is apparently tinkering with their main set... they have been using their ancillary set since Saturday. This plus their new VO makes me think there may be some changes when the VIZ switch finally happens which may be soon...

No changes to the actual set that I can see but they did some significant lighting upgrades... it's much brighter now and looks much better for it.

• Like 1

WGBA in Green Bay, WI has adopted the Scripps graphics package, and in a twist, has adopted the WMAR "InFocus" package for "Wisconsin Tonight" which is apparently sticking around. It works pretty well.

They have also rebranded their weather department to "NBC26 Storm Shield Weather"

• Like 2

Is it really that hard to make a program that has all talent in the bin to make seamless and easily changeable talent opens? Without having to build a new one for each combination of names, and pics?

Your biggest flaw is that you make logical sense... I suggest you remedy that ASAP...

• Like 6

Is it really that hard to make a program that has all talent in the bin to make seamless and easily changeable talent opens? Without having to build a new one for each combination of names, and pics?

They exist, somewhat. I've built one at a station I was at that had talent rejoins.

But honestly, for marketing purposes, you really don't want to change these out just because someone is out sick or on vacation.

Also, producers hate them. More often than not they are the first thing to get dropped from the rundown when the show is heavy.

I'm actually impressed that WGBA got the Scripps V2 graphics. As far as "Storm Shield" for branding, KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!!

The Scripps graphics really do seem like a good fit for 'GBA. They posted a clip of their NBC26 Today talent open on their YouTube channel and it looks great:

Between the new graphics and the virtual set they got a few months ago, is it safe to say that Scripps wants to make WGBA a real contender in the Green Bay market?

• Like 6

Between the new graphics and the virtual set they got a few months ago, is it safe to say that Scripps wants to make WGBA a real contender in the Green Bay market?

A set and graphics change isn't going to move the needle in the ratings.

The Green Bay market has a population that is older and its hard to change their habits. When Journal bought the station in the early 2000's they did pour a lot of money into the station but the ratings were still low. Maybe one of the other stations will mess up and then WGBA can grab some viewers?

WGBA has low overhead and makes a little money. A company like Scripps isn't going try to compete.

• Like 1

I hope the "Storm Shield Weather" branding doesn't spread to all of the stations. Not a fan of it.

As far as "Storm Shield" for branding, KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!!

it does apply system wide wftx fox has it here in fort myers, also was storm patrol 4, 4 warn weather or power of 4 better?

Although "Storm Shield" sounds kinda tacky, I will say that "First Alert Weather" is WAY overused, no matter who owns the station... I do like KNXV's "Desert Doppler" moniker...

The TV station in Mayberry brands it "Weather or Knotts".

(whaa whaa)

Aunt Bee at the Manners Desk...

And barber Floyd with the social media report.

• Like 1