Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

Why does everyone assume that ABC will sell any of their stations?

Again, I said if ABC really wants to sell, and it goes back to where Robert Iger said in print that they were entertaining the idea to sell their O&O. So, it a crap shoot, but nothing in present day broadcasting business is set in stone. There always the unknown to anything, and nothing ever last forever.

• Like 5

I think there's a better chance of, say, Hearst buying Scripps than ABC buying Scripps or Scripps buying ABC.

On the bright side, if ABC did ever decide to sell all of their stations, at least we know which two companies wouldn't be able to buy them...

I think there's a better chance of, say, Hearst buying Scripps than ABC buying Scripps or Scripps buying ABC.

On the bright side, if ABC did ever decide to sell all of their stations, at least we know which two companies wouldn't be able to buy them...

I've said this again and again. Gray is more likely buying Scripps. That said, let's keep this speculation to a minimum in this thread.

And I still think the only way to save most of the scripps stations at this point is by selling them to ABC, and I had to clarify that I meant most because they'd have to divest some stations or they'd end up over the 39% cap. But as much as I want it to happen I doubt it will anytime soon seeing as how Scripps has to cut costs, or do they?

ABC is likely to start hubbing things in the next few years too, so I don't know what you imagine ABC "saving" them from. I've already heard rumors that ABC is tired of these shitty graphics packages and are looking at building out a graphics hub and going the group package route.

That was a very dire period when Journal bet on a rash of syndicated shows in 2007 and 2008 that bombed badly and were gone by the new year in 2009. Imagine coming out of Days of Our Lives and running two hours of paid programming on weekdays going into the 5pm show, or your entire afternoon lineup is sponsored by Ronco. That was WGBA that year for the former, and WACY for the latter. It's the big reason they strongly went for Packers show/preseason rights for the next cycle in 2011 for both WTMJ and WGBA; literally without it I was under the mind then that it was better to just bureau GB and run it as a WTMJ semi-satellite. Thank goodness they recovered.

They kind of did in the mornings for a while in 2008. There were a few months where WGBA simulcast "Live at Daybreak" and "Live at Noon" from WTMJ and inserted their own local weather. It bombed, because who would have thought Green Bay locals don't care about what crime is going on in Milwaukee???

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
Scripps is trying something new, a investigative reporter serving all three of their Florida stations.

http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2016/6/8/scripps-names-florida-investigative-reporter

What's next, a hubbed weather department?

WCPO's John Materese has his "Don't Waste Your Money!" consumer reports hubbed to Scripps stations regionally. WEWS has carried him for several years now.

WCPO's John Materese has his "Don't Waste Your Money!" consumer reports hubbed to Scripps stations regionally. WEWS has carried him for several years now.

WXYZ does too but one of our anchors redubs the stories... Been like that for well over a decade...

WXYZ does too but one of our anchors redubs the stories... Been like that for well over a decade...

I would be remiss not to mention Matt Granite, whose weekday morning show deal segments originate from WKYC and are hubbed to all TEGNA stations.

And in lieu of not having any investigative reporters (Granite disbanded their I-team in 2001), WKBW had been airing stories from other Scripps stations - including WFTS - during recent sweeps periods. That will no longer be necessary.

WTMJ is finally picking up The List and RightThisMiinute post-Olympics to complete the Scripps-ization process in their 3pm slot; FABLife's long-running zombie state there ended last Friday (it goes to 1:05am after the Olympics to finish out its run in shame). WGBA did the same scheduling for their 4 p.m. slot as of this Monday and are backfilling Crimewatch Daily to 2pm post-Olympics (they were double-running L&O:CI after Days leading into TMZ Live).

Scripps is touting it's "success" at putting digital/social media first at KNXV (which you may recall included replacing the news director with the station's digital director).

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/local-tv/scripps-phoenix-station-thinks-digital-overhaul-newsroom-operations/158819

There's no mention of how this affected ratings, but at least they have 50,000 more fans on Facebook...

• Like 2

Scripps is touting it's "success" ...

There's no mention of how this affected ratings, but at least they have 50,000 more fans on Facebook...

I guess you missed this gem in the article...

News director Chris Kline, who has orchestrated the newsroom overhaul, said each one of the station’s newscasts was up in the July ratings book, a significant feat for a station whose news programming typically ranked third in the market a year or so ago.

The July book??? LOL!

That's like "graduating" from the 6th grade....

At least somebody cares about the July book.

Great spin Chris Kline... Hilar. You still have a TV station ya moron...how many DOLLARS are each of those Facebook friends worth???

Come on Chris...give me a solid dollar figure for our power point demo.

How much is each "like" worth?

• Like 5

Scripps is touting it's "success" at putting digital/social media first at KNXV (which you may recall included replacing the news director with the station's digital director).

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/local-tv/scripps-phoenix-station-thinks-digital-overhaul-newsroom-operations/158819

KNXV definitely has the market's best social media presence. They also were the first station in Scripps with a heavy Roku presence, presumably to compete against KSAZ and its pioneering Fox 10 News Now.

KNXV definitely has the market's best social media presence. They also were the first station in Scripps with a heavy Roku presence, presumably to compete against KSAZ and its pioneering Fox 10 News Now.

And KNXV is currently the ONLY local station to be on Roku. For NewsON, its different with KTVK and KPHO on that service.

Scripps "Don't Waste Your Money" franchise received its own money colored graphics earlier this year but it hasn't been shared here yet so...

image.thumb.jpeg.78add572b067738b282005d23934d00f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b35a7070b49643b6d667220a9ec4101e.jpeg

Additionally WXYZ has standardized on Facebook pages underneath their talent names... Previously it was a mix of email, Facebook and Twitter with no rhyme or reason...

image.thumb.jpeg.4ccf01b6fd3c974d4ca43cb21f779b02.jpeg