Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

• 2 weeks later...

WMAR has an emoji forecast. God I hope this made it on air:

[MEDIA=twitter]733097851677347841[/MEDIA]

Well, it was posted to their website as a static image. But arent some of these images auto uploaded without user intervention?

• Like 1

So, by their standards, Saturday's going to be a shitty day to go outside.

Looks like it. Especially a shame because of the Preakness. But it always is interesting watching WBAL's pre show with their reporters out in the infield get wet - of course the anchors are sitting in a tent that has air conditioning. People still will come out and party - especially if they paid $105 for a mug that provides unlimited beer and "adult activities".

WMAR has an emoji forecast. God I hope this made it on air:

[MEDIA=twitter]733097851677347841[/MEDIA]

Well, it was posted to their website as a static image. But arent some of these images auto uploaded without user intervention?

WSI has a social media integration package where you can easily export static images to social media. It wouldn't be that difficult at all to make a one-off special "scene" like this and send it to Twitter.

• 3 weeks later...
Scripps is trying something new, a investigative reporter serving all three of their Florida stations.

http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2016/6/8/scripps-names-florida-investigative-reporter

What's next, a hubbed weather department?

Imagine if Scripps did the same in Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, or even Arizona. When other station groups start doing this, it'll be time to panic.

Imagine if Scripps did the same in Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, or even Arizona. When other station groups start doing this, it'll be time to panic.

We darn near had this at WGBA [while still under Journal's watch]; there was a little while when Cameron Moreland was their only staff meteorologist. Several of WTMJ's meteorologists provided forecasts [usually on weekends...?]. I seem to recall sports was the same case; at least until they snagged Larry McCarren from WFRV. Then they got smart and reestablished their own weather and sports teams....

Scripps is trying something new, a investigative reporter serving all three of their Florida stations.

http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2016/6/8/scripps-names-florida-investigative-reporter

I wonder how this will work. The stations are in different locations - will she be relying on producers in each city to do the dirty work and then fly in and put the piece together? I could understand maybe she was a political reporter covering Tallahassee but investigative reporting is a different local beast.

Edit: it's not as bad as I thought location wise. All three markets are adjacent to one another - West Palm on the east coast, Fort Meyers to its West and Tampa to the north.

We darn near had this at WGBA [while still under Journal's watch]; there was a little while when Cameron Moreland was their only staff meteorologist. Several of WTMJ's meteorologists provided forecasts [usually on weekends...?]. I seem to recall sports was the same case; at least until they snagged Larry McCarren from WFRV. Then they got smart and reestablished their own weather and sports teams....

That was a very dire period when Journal bet on a rash of syndicated shows in 2007 and 2008 that bombed badly and were gone by the new year in 2009. Imagine coming out of Days of Our Lives and running two hours of paid programming on weekdays going into the 5pm show, or your entire afternoon lineup is sponsored by Ronco. That was WGBA that year for the former, and WACY for the latter. It's the big reason they strongly went for Packers show/preseason rights for the next cycle in 2011 for both WTMJ and WGBA; literally without it I was under the mind then that it was better to just bureau GB and run it as a WTMJ semi-satellite. Thank goodness they recovered.

• Like 2

Also remember when KNBC provided weather for the evening broadcasts to KNSD. Didn't the arrangement last a year or so?

• Like 2

Also remember when KNBC provided weather for the evening broadcasts to KNSD. Didn't the arrangement last a year or so?

2 or 3 years I believe.

I think that they may try out KGTV/KERO next since they're the only stations that Scripps has in California. Plus the (former) GM of KGTV also oversaw KERO as well.-- As a regional manager/gm, I believe. Knowing that Scripps is trying to cut costs, I wouldn't be surprised if they outsourced some of KERO's positions to KGTV.

2 or 3 years I believe.

I think that they may try out KGTV/KERO next since they're the only stations that Scripps has in California. Plus the (former) GM of KGTV also oversaw KERO as well.-- As a regional manager/gm, I believe. Knowing that Scripps is trying to cut costs, I wouldn't be surprised if they outsourced some of KERO's positions to KGTV.

And I still think the only way to save most of the scripps stations at this point is by selling them to ABC, and I had to clarify that I meant most because they'd have to divest some stations or they'd end up over the 39% cap. But as much as I want it to happen I doubt it will anytime soon seeing as how Scripps has to cut costs, or do they?
  • Like 1

And I still think the only way to save most of the scripps stations at this point is by selling them to ABC, and I had to clarify that I meant most because they'd have to divest some stations or they'd end up over the 39% cap. But as much as I want it to happen I doubt it will anytime soon seeing as how Scripps has to cut costs, or do they?

Save them from what?

So wait, you're now advocating ABC buying some or all of Scripps stations? What happened to your theory of Scripps buying ABC? Or is the new theory that Sinclair is buying ABC?

• Like 2

So wait, you're now advocating ABC buying some or all of Scripps stations? What happened to your theory of Scripps buying ABC? Or is the new theory that Sinclair is buying ABC?
I always had hoped that ABC would buy Scripps, or at least most of it (or it would go over the cap if they bought all of it) and I sort of always had advocated it, but couldn't really do much since like most of us, I assume, I hadn't been involved in the stock market (because I'm not rich nor particularly powerful) or known any media insiders, or rather, I personally don't (unless you count everyone here at TVNT, and even then, what impact has TVNT had on the media industry?). And sinclair can't buy ABC, because they're already capped as is
  • Like 1

I always had hoped that ABC would buy Scripps, or at least most of it (or it would go over the cap if they bought all of it) and I sort of always had advocated it, but couldn't really do much since like most of us, I assume, I hadn't been involved in the stock market (because I'm not rich nor particularly powerful) or known any media insiders, or rather, I personally don't (unless you count everyone here at TVNT, and even then, what impact has TVNT had on the media industry?). And sinclair can't buy ABC, because they're already capped as is

That always been the inside buzz that Scripps & ABC would merge. Scripps always a had a great relationship with ABC, and leverage it two legacy stations in order to do some network shuffles in the 90s. WXYZ would rejoin being an ABC O&O. Fast Forward now, Scripps has turned into a cookie cutter product just like so many other broadcast companies. ABC rakes in alot of money from their O&O stations, but really want to sell their stations, but why when they're raking in huge dollars. My hope would be to see Cox & Scripps could merge where Cox holds the broadcasting stations & Scripps do the cable/syndication part. I would also like to see Cox buy ABC out if they really want to get out of the business of owning local stations. I can see Cox being the winner on both sides of the story.

2 or 3 years I believe.

They actually should outsource KGTV positions to KERO.

It goes without saying that this would be so wrong in so many ways.

Why should KGTV have to adopt KERO?

Let LA keep Bakersfield as her lil bumpkin to the north

• Like 1

That always been the inside buzz that Scripps & ABC would merge. Scripps always a had a great relationship with ABC, and leverage it two legacy stations in order to do some network shuffles in the 90s. WXYZ would rejoin being an ABC O&O. Fast Forward now, Scripps has turned into a cookie cutter product just like so many other broadcast companies. ABC rakes in alot of money from their O&O stations, but really want to sell their stations, but why when they're raking in huge dollars. My hope would be to see Cox & Scripps could merge where Cox holds the broadcasting stations & Scripps do the cable/syndication part. I would also like to see Cox buy ABC out if they really want to get out of the business of owning local stations. I can see Cox being the winner on both sides of the story.
Why does everyone assume that ABC will sell any of their stations?