Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

, IIRC, predates the first-generation Scripps look, but anything suggesting that appears to have vanished from YouTube.

What they replaced it with, to me, looks way cheaper and way less finessed. Notice how the lighthouse in the new one does not immediately become the Scripps logo, they just overlap for a bit. (Also, given its inexplicably reduced prominence, the lighthouse will probably be dropped outright at some point. I'll never understand certain companies' allergy to recognizable logos)

, IIRC, predates the first-generation Scripps look, but anything suggesting that appears to have vanished from YouTube.

What they replaced it with, to me, looks way cheaper and way less finessed. Notice how the lighthouse in the new one does not immediately become the Scripps logo, they just overlap for a bit. (Also, given its inexplicably reduced prominence, the lighthouse will probably be dropped outright at some point. I'll never understand certain companies' allergy to recognizable logos)

No that's the V1 close... All the did when V2 game along is add the lighthouse light sweeping across. Before that the closes were customized to each station and the lighthouse was just there with Scripps. Before 2008 the cable networks logos were used along with © Scripps xxxx...

(Also, given its inexplicably reduced prominence, the lighthouse will probably be dropped outright at some point. I'll never understand certain companies' allergy to recognizable logos)

Scripps kept the lighthouse logo and "give light" slogan as a perpetual tribute to Carl Magee throughout the past century.

Shelley Childers is joining WXYZ from KRGV , the ABC station in Harlingan-Weslaco-Brownsville-MacArthur, Texas (DMA 86). She had been there since 2012 and got started at KOSA in Midland-Odessa, TX (DMA 145) where she spent 3 years. She's a Michigan State grad so this continues the trend of almost every new reporter they've hired since 2014 having a Michigan connection. I never thought I'd be excited about 6 years of reporting experience as if that was a lot for DMA 13 (hint: it's not).

So, Southern California has been getting an unusual amount of rain due to "El Niño". So anytime there is rain, stations here in town go crazy with "Storm Watch" coverage. Anyways, KGTV has gone apeshit with coverage and had some cuztomized "BREAKING WEATHER ALERT" graphics made...

capture_20160105_190713.thumb.jpg.9ac0410193738952cfaa0ea378439ab3.jpg

capture_20160105_190343.thumb.jpg.1eabd1e480416c6c3498f979dd90f5aa.jpg

capture_20160105_190515.thumb.jpg.4e3f01637b8f4888fc2f962225470f94.jpg

So, Southern California has been getting an unusual amount of rain due to "El Niño". So anytime there is rain, stations here in town go crazy with "Storm Watch" coverage. Anyways, KGTV has gone apeshit with coverage and had some cuztomized "BREAKING WEATHER ALERT" graphics made...QUOTE=]

Compared to KFMB I would say that coverage was embarrassing. If this is how the KGTV newsteam performs during the first round of storms, I hate to see them next week when real shit will hit the fan from ground saturation.

KGTV acts like the just discovered the wheel....that KFMB invented.

• Like 2

Compared to KFMB I would say that coverage was embarrassing. If this is how the KGTV newsteam performs during the first round of storms, I hate to see them next week when real shit will hit the fan from ground saturation.

KGTV acts like the just discovered the wheel....that KFMB invented.

absolutely. About 15 of the first 20 minutes of the 7pm newscast was dedicated to weather coverage. I kid not. There were 2 commercials a bit less than two minutes each and then about a minute dedicated to a story on a stolen bike. Excessive puts it mildly.

Every other station had Storm coverage, but they didn't go crazy with special graphics/opens, etc.

The surprising thing is that Scripps allows this crap to continue. But I guess they're happy losing the ratings/demo race in SD.

absolutely. About 15 of the first 20 minutes of the 7pm newscast was dedicated to weather coverage. I kid not. There were 2 commercials a bit less than two minutes each and then about a minute dedicated to a story on a stolen bike. Excessive puts it mildly.

Every other station had Storm coverage, but they didn't go crazy with special graphics/opens, etc.

The surprising thing is that Scripps allows this crap to continue. But I guess they're happy losing the ratings/demo race in SD.

It's not surprising... It's rampant in the company.

WXYZ had "Happy" blaring over a pre recorded package on gun control (!) for 50 seconds on their 7pm tonight. This stuff didn't use to happen but technical goofs are their bread and butter now... Some folks there blame the automation system but that's an excuse... It's only as good as the Person telling it what to do...

So, Southern California has been getting an unusual amount of rain due to "El Niño". So anytime there is rain, stations here in town go crazy with "Storm Watch" coverage. Anyways, KGTV has gone apeshit with coverage and had some cuztomized "BREAKING WEATHER ALERT" graphics made...

[ATTACH=full]2518[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]2519[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]2520[/ATTACH]

How much rain did SD get, 2 inches ?

WXYZ had "Happy" blaring over a pre recorded package on gun control (!) for 50 seconds on their 7pm tonight. This stuff didn't use to happen but technical goofs are their bread and butter now... Some folks there blame the automation system but that's an excuse... It's only as good as the Person telling it what to do...

Ridiculous. And Scripps wonders why a majority of their stations are 3rd or 4th in their markets.

How much rain did SD get, 2 inches ?

Downtown SD less than 2 inches. Outlying areas vary from a quarter of an inch to about 4 inches. Either way, yes it is more rain than normal but these are a series of 3 storms that have struck the area since Sunday. We still have about another day of rain left. L.A. is getting the brunt of the rain/storm.

• Like 1

WEWS' Mark Johnson will break into ABC prime time for wall-to-wall severe weather coverage, and he's done that ever since assuming the chief meteorologist position in 1998.

And that's why I think ABC really should buy Scripps (except for the non-ABC stations which can be divested into other companies of their choice).

WEWS' Mark Johnson will break into ABC prime time for wall-to-wall severe weather coverage, and he's done that ever since assuming the chief meteorologist position in 1998.

I would understand if there was severe weather like a tornado or a hurricane, then those would warrant more attention, but for rain that was forecasted more than a week in advance?

I've mentioned several times in other posts how the quality of KGTV's newscasts has gone down hill since this ND came on board about a year ago. Before her, they were somewhat competitive( at the very least a solid #2), now they're getting creamed in just about every time period.

And that's why I think ABC really should buy Scripps (except for the non-ABC stations which can be divested into other companies of their choice).

Forget that, Scripps should be donated to Goodwill Industries so the people there can rehab it and re-sell it for the good of all.

Scripps hires too many "Visionary's" in key management roles. These folks think they can make the ultimate digital platform staffed by only semi-brite, part-time college kids with no street smarts or journalistic chops.

"What do people on twitter think about the rain?"

"Here is a viewer(shaky,out of focus, wrong aspect ratio) flooded street in (can't pronounce the community name) Casa De Oro"........

Just as bad was the rudderless CW6 and the "This is a Sand Bag" segment.

"These sand bags are filled with ssssand".

• Like 1

I've mentioned several times in other posts how the quality of KGTV's newscasts has gone down hill since this ND came on board about a year ago. Before her, they were somewhat competitive( at the very least a solid #2), now they're getting creamed in just about every time period.

They got rid of all the experienced people...and it really shows. The ND Tiffany Lupensky is a cabbage head. She can't help this shit cuz she is too busy scheduling part-timers, and trolling for facebook "likes".

The very first thing to do is to get the Weather Pinata out of there, and use "BandCamp"(Megan Parry) instead. BandCamp is a bit green...but she is local and has a sweet personality that is kinda grows on you.

Forget that, Scripps should be donated to Goodwill Industries so the people there can rehab it and re-sell it for the good of all.

Scripps hires too many "Visionary's" in key management roles. These folks think they can make the ultimate digital platform staffed by only semi-brite, part-time college kids with no street smarts or journalistic chops.

"What do people on twitter think about the rain?"

"Here is a viewer(shaky,out of focus, wrong aspect ratio) flooded street in (can't pronounce the community name) Casa De Oro"........

Just as bad was the rudderless CW6 and the "This is a Sand Bag" segment.

"These sand bags are filled with ssssand".

They got rid of all the experienced people...and it really shows. The ND Tiffany Lupensky is a cabbage head. She can't help this shit cuz she is too busy scheduling part-timers, and trolling for facebook "likes".

The very first thing to do is to get the Weather Pinata out of there, and use "BandCamp"(Megan Parry) instead. BandCamp is a bit green...but she is local and has a sweet personality that is kinda grows on you.

Which is why Scripps ought to be bought by ABC (who can then divest the non-ABC affiliates to any companies of their choice).

• Like 1

Which is why Scripps ought to be bought by ABC (who can then divest the non-ABC affiliates to any companies of their choice).

I'm beginning to think that outside of a few stations most of Scripps properties are too far gone to be saved by ABC... They would require billion(s) in investment across all 16 or whatever stations to bring them up to ABC standards. You'd have to completely scrap most of the personell, the graphics, the imaging, completely swap out all the computer equipment, they'd all need set upgrades, new cameras... Sound expensive times 16 yet?

It'd be like taking 2016 car innards and putting them in a 1985 Ford Taurus... You can do it but it'd be a hell of a project.

• Like 1

Spot on. Angelica has been there 6 months, and it seems like she still is struggling to get through her weather segment (and she's a certified meteorologist to boot). I agree with you on Parry. At least she is an improvement over Campos. They really need to promote Kristen Keogh. She's not even a meteorologist and she looks/sounds more prepared than Angelica.