Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

image.thumb.jpeg.c1623b368391be42b18ebfbd88df1628.jpeg This is kind of different... The color bars popped up in between WXYZ's 7pm news and "The List"... Gotta love automation...

The second picture is the end of "The NOW Detroit" from today... Looks like they modified an OTS box from the Scripps Sports graphics package and are using it as a coming up next box. This debuted today. Not a bad idea. Too bad most of the rest of the package doesn't look like that box...

image.thumb.jpeg.b5ea02b937043c2ed214a16944c9bc9a.jpeg

• Like 1

[ATTACH=full]2412[/ATTACH] This is kind of different... The color bars popped up in between WXYZ's 7pm news and "The List"... Gotta love automation...

Willing to bet this was human error. Log rolled over to Network early, because someone didn't double check when it was going to hit network. Automation just did what it was programmed to do.

• Like 5

Willing to bet this was human error. Log rolled over to Network early, because someone didn't double check when it was going to hit network. Automation just did what it was programmed to do.

I suspect that's what it is too... Trouble with automation at least over there seems to be a "set it and forget it" mentality as this happened a few weeks ago and filled the entire 630-7 block in place of WNT. That's pretty embarrassing...

So KGTV has done away with "San Diego's News Source" opting for the tag line of "Stories that matter". :rolleyes: So that means that they had to modify the opens to get ride of "San Diego's News Source" and as you can imagine, it sucks. Also, they're using a new music cut for the top/bottom of the hour preview-- it's not bad, per se but it has this urgency to it that seems out of place for the AM newscasts.

And.... Can't forget that for sweeps, KGTV is offering $500 for watching ABC's Thursday night primetime! ahh sweeps desperation at it's finest...

• Like 1

So KGTV has done away with "San Diego's News Source" opting for the tag line of "Stories that matter". :rolleyes: So that means that they had to modify the opens to get ride of "San Diego's News Source" and as you can imagine, it sucks. Also, they're using a new music cut for the top/bottom of the hour preview-- it's not bad, per se but it has this urgency to it that seems out of place for the AM newscasts.

And.... Can't forget that for sweeps, KGTV is offering $500 for watching ABC's Thursday night primetime! ahh sweeps desperation at it's finest...

The desperation gets worse as they are offering only $100 to watch the morning show. One promo says it's really a "gift card"....but Cha Cha Cimigunga says it's cash.

Hell we have local radio stations giving away $1000 every morning.

But yup...

The ultimate proof your product sucks is to give away money during sweeps.

• Like 1

The desperation gets worse as they are offering only $100 to watch the morning show. One promo says it's really a "gift card"....but Cha Cha Cimigunga says it's cash.

Hell we have local radio stations giving away $1000 every morning.

But yup...

The ultimate proof your product sucks is to give away money during sweeps.

They must have fallen behind KNSD ratings wise for them to be desperately giving away money. This new[ish] News Director has made them even more crappier than they already were. All KNSD has to do is let KGTV self-implode, and wait for their new building, then they can solidly take 2nd place...

So KGTV has done away with "San Diego's News Source" opting for the tag line of "Stories that matter". So that means that they had to modify the opens to get ride of "San Diego's News Source" and as you can imagine, it sucks..

Ownership of "San Diegos News Source" is in question...

Before Paul Anedregg(Breaking News Crapper) was hired he was using www.sandiegonewssource.com... He took that because of ownership issues with his last domain www.citibeatnews.com. The folks that run citibeat magazines nationwide were miffed. So Paul gets hired by KGTV only to rent or transfer the domain to another junior news ranger named Anthony...well Anthony was not happy with the arrangement with Paul so Anthony bolted from that site over to onscene.tv so he could pay less in stringer fees.

The domain went dark a few months ago...but got jump started and paid up this last month. I think he had to buy it back from a squatter.

Now that KGTV abandon it I guess nobody may really care. I bet it's never even been registered anywhere for any reason.

Ownership of "San Diegos News Source" is in question...

Before Paul Anedregg(Breaking News Crapper) was hired he was using www.sandiegonewssource.com... He took that because of ownership issues with his last domain www.citibeatnews.com. The folks that run citibeat magazines nationwide were miffed. So Paul gets hired by KGTV only to rent or transfer the domain to another junior news ranger named Anthony...well Anthony was not happy with the arrangement with Paul so Anthony bolted from that site over to onscene.tv so he could pay less in stringer fees.

The domain went dark a few months ago...but got jump started and paid up this last month. I think he had to buy it back from a squatter.

Now that KGTV abandon it I guess nobody may really care. I bet it's never even been registered anywhere for any reason.

Interesting, thanks for the story. Personally, I thought it was stupid when they first started using it. Now with "Stories that matter", well that's even worse than "San Diego's News Source", But not as bad as the ND's haircut, LOL...

Speaking of taglines, KSHB seems to have more or less dropped their "Kansas City's Breaking News Leader" slogan. They haven't used it in their open in months (which they cut the duration by over half) and I haven't seen it in any promos for a while.

Did they cut their talent open?

Interesting, thanks for the story. Personally, I thought it was stupid when they first started using it. Now with "Stories that matter", well that's even worse than "San Diego's News Source", But not as bad as the ND's haircut, LOL...

Just don't say anything bad about cats when talking to ND Tiffany.

• Like 1

I get an immediate redirect to the front page of the Scripps template'd TMJ4.com when I go to that URL.

My immediate redirect took me to WSYM in Lansing of all places despite the fact that I live less than 10 miles from WXYZ's studios...

Does Scripps have any plans for Journal's NowTrending initiative? The site is still active but it hasn't been updated to the Scripps web platform

http://www.scrippsmedia.com/now-trending/

All the (dumb) Journal web initiatives (Now Trending, Nashville Edge, and WISports.com to name a few) have been ended. They stopped the segments too, afaik.

• Like 1

I have reason to believe WFTS has switched over to VizRT based on a tip I received and some video evidence I posted below. It looks like this happened a couple weeks ago.

Look closely at the lower thirds in this video:

And the "before":

Nothing too exciting. It helps to see the videos on YouTube so they're bigger and you can make out more detail.

I have reason to believe WFTS has switched over to VizRT based on a tip I received and some video evidence I posted below. It looks like this happened a couple weeks ago.

Look closely at the lower thirds in this video:

And the "before":

Nothing too exciting. It helps to see the videos on YouTube so they're bigger and you can make out more detail.

Very subtle (L3s don't need to "recue" when transitioning from names to story topic; bug has lens flare; transitions in left box are faster) but barely noticeable to the untrained eye.

• Like 1

Very subtle (L3s don't need to "recue" when transitioning from names to story topic; bug has lens flare; transitions in left box are faster) but barely noticeable to the untrained eye.

They didn't always have to recue on transitions before... WXYZ's would stay static and the text would simply change. We also have an all white lower third I haven't seen anywhere else...

The tabs look bigger and the font on the lower line looks slightly different. I did like the new non recue lower third transitions. I'm glad the new VizRT system is capable of handling the package without overloading. The lens flare effect is original to the package. It's a matter of having it turned on or not...

image.thumb.jpeg.62c4439cb06b798995a09162661fcd1d.jpeg Anybody want a bowl of Scripps brand cereal? This is from WXYZ's brand new morning promo. The show is likely being converted back to a traditional 2 anchors with Weather and Traffic together format after having been expanded in April to include a live center and social media component... That conversion effort fell very very flat...

I'll upload the full promo later...

• Like 1

Anybody want a bowl of Scripps brand cereal? This is from WXYZ's brand new morning promo. The show is likely being converted back to a traditional 2 anchors with Weather and Traffic together format after having been expanded in April to include a live center and social media component... That conversion effort fell very very flat...

The problem was the show was too high in fiber...

It gave everyone the shits.

That box is priceless!

• Like 1

[ATTACH=full]2444[/ATTACH] The show is likely being converted back to a traditional 2 anchors with Weather and Traffic together format after having been expanded in April to include a live center and social media component... That conversion effort fell very very flat...

Interesting that Scripps may dial back on the SM / Live center portions of that show. They are pushing the hell out of SM in every market...and to revert back to more 'traditional" show may be a bit telling.

KPIX/KBCW San Francisco has been running a sm heavy 10pm called "Nightbeat" after about a year it's been a giant flop.

Is the social media thing working anywhere on tv news?

Can the success of sm formats be based on regional, age or even racial/cultural preferences and incomes?

If WXYZ swings back to traditional...and they get a ratings bump...will it be a reality check?

Interesting that Scripps may dial back on the SM / Live center portions of that show. They are pushing the hell out of SM in every market...and to revert back to more 'traditional" show may be a bit telling.

KPIX/KBCW San Francisco has been running a sm heavy 10pm called "Nightbeat" after about a year it's been a giant flop.

Is the social media thing working anywhere on tv news?

Can the success of sm formats be based on regional, age or even racial/cultural preferences and incomes?

If WXYZ swings back to traditional...and they get a ratings bump...will it be a reality check?

The Social Media on the revamped show amounted to 1 hit during the 6am hour. It's not so much telling as it is reverting to normal... WXYZ doesn't really push social media on the air outside of The NOW...

• Like 2

The Social Media on the revamped show amounted to 1 hit during the 6am hour. It's not so much telling as it is reverting to normal... WXYZ doesn't really push social media on the air outside of The NOW...

You guys are lucky then. Scripps is ramming it down our throats everyplace else.

You guys are lucky then. Scripps is ramming it down our throats everyplace else.

I've noticed KGTV posting quite of bit of stories from simplemost.com on its Facebook page. Is this site owned by Scripps?