Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

I wish that Scripps had taken the time and at least designed a new package for all of its stations, new and old, to use. The current one is years old now, so it just annoying to see them give their new stations a package that's already 3 years old and that they will use for presumably at least 3 more.

I wish that Scripps had taken the time and at least designed a new package for all of its stations, new and old, to use. The current one is years old now, so it just annoying to see them give their new stations a package that's already 3 years old and that they will use for presumably at least 3 more.

It's frustrating too that WTVF will be losing Impact V.6 and their really nice package.

• Like 1

There really isn't a good reason to get a new graphics package other than this one being three years old. It's three years old but some stations haven't had it that long (WKBW), and it will be "new" in the ex-Journal markets (where WTMJ has had the Journal package for nearly seven years with no updates) once it's ready for them. The older Scripps stations have invested potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars in duratrans, vehicle wraps, signage, etc. that all reflect the current look, it'd be stupid to throw that all out for no real reason.

I've heard that Scripps is quite happy with this look and will continue to use it for the foreseeable future. I wouldn't be surprised to see it updated here and there, but I think the core orange/white/blue boxy look will be around for years to come.

There really isn't a good reason to get a new graphics package other than this one being three years old. It's three years old but some stations haven't had it that long (WKBW), and it will be "new" in the ex-Journal markets (where WTMJ has had the Journal package for nearly seven years with no updates) once it's ready for them. The older Scripps stations have invested potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars in duratrans, vehicle wraps, signage, etc. that all reflect the current look, it'd be stupid to throw that all out for no real reason.

I've heard that Scripps is quite happy with this look and will continue to use it for the foreseeable future. I wouldn't be surprised to see it updated here and there, but I think the core orange/white/blue boxy look will be around for years to come.

So why are we going to screw the former Journal stations whom have invested "invested potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars in duratrans, vehicle wraps, signage, etc."? Why not leave everything status quo until a new package is needed group-wide?

So why are we going to screw the former Journal stations whom have invested "invested potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars in duratrans, vehicle wraps, signage, etc."? Why not leave everything status quo until a new package is needed group-wide?

Because Scripps is obsessive about how their stations look and want to get the former Journal stations onto something that doesn't suck ASAP. All they're waiting on is the VizRT graphics, then it's a matter of throwing some logo files into the existing RenderOn templates. And like I said before, the only people who won't know these aren't brand new graphics are people who use this forum or work for Scripps.

The Journal graphics need to go. It's not like they're (generally) using something only a year or two old.

This.

• Like 2

Because Scripps is obsessive about how their stations look and want to get the former Journal stations onto something that doesn't suck ASAP. All they're waiting on is the VizRT graphics, then it's a matter of throwing some logo files into the existing RenderOn templates. And like I said before, the only people who won't know these aren't brand new graphics are people who use this forum or work for Scripps.

This.

They really need new lower thirds for the V2 package but other than that it's probably in it for the long haul unfortunately... I wish the package had been complete when introduced in 2012 but they keep adding stuff they should have had in the first place to it...

Or anyone else who's been paying attention to Scripps and its stations for long enough.

Hmmm this is a good point. An update would be nice then, at least for the stations that have already had it for 3 years.

Hmmm this is a good point. An update would be nice then, at least for the stations that have already had it for 3 years.

The elimination of the CNN-esque animated box on the left-hand side of the screen would be enough of an update. Otherwise, the package is fine the way it is.

Scripps and Renderon created this package to last a long time. And it's world's away from the 2010 standardized look (and music especially).

• Like 1

The elimination of the CNN-esque animated box on the left-hand side of the screen would be enough of an update. Otherwise, the package is fine the way it is.

Scripps and Renderon created this package to last a long time. And it's world's away from the 2010 standardized look (and music especially).

It's still about 2 sizes too small for their 5 biggest stations. They almost needed to create a package just for the top 20 market stations or let them have their own. Too cheap for that I suppose. The more I've watched it over time the more I've thought "gee this would look nice in a mid market". It is worlds away and better from the 2009 package for sure.

They really need new lower thirds for the V2 package but other than that it's probably in it for the long haul unfortunately... I wish the package had been complete when introduced in 2012 but they keep adding stuff they should have had in the first place to it...

Don't feel bad. The traffic ticker L3 at KGTV has been repeating the same wrong traffic conditions for over 3 years. Enjoy the fun!

How is this even possible?

I think their traffic info and reports come from another company. The videos I've seen have what looks like a law enforcement officer giving the traffic report from what looks like a different studio.

If it is a California government provided service, that could explain a lot.

It gets better...

CH-6 has had the same problem for 3 years also....and they run the same info as KGTV...

When you call the station or email them they pretend the didn't know about the problem.

Now even better......

Seems KNSD has a similar problem just a different set of wrong "conditions and speeds"...

Empty stretches of highway at 6am all with speeds in the 30mph range. But when you look at the official state traffic site the speeds are 65-75mph. Even the stations traffic map contradicts the ticker at all 3 stations.

I bet if you looked in YOUR town you would find the traffic tickers as messed up as here.

I was looking at the Scripps roster and I know they've said they aren't interested in the spectrum auction, but they HAVE to be looking at it for their low power Azteca affiliates. By my count, the FCC auction estimate for them is about 180 million to about 300 million. They already carry this programming as subchannels of KMGH, KGTV, and KERO. That's a lot of cash for something that probably isn't adding anything to the bottom line.

San Diego values are crazy high.

This guys hat in the lower left looked kind of odd... WXYZ has never used the abc7 branding before. Their last set of hats had their normal 7abc logo. I don't really know whether they are going to rebrand but they have dropped all references to 7 Action News the last few days except in the tosses to and from reports instead calling just calling it "Action News has helped..." etc. which has historically been the way they did self promotion during newscasts.

IMG_1546.thumb.JPG.2f8437e6c334fb22d9f125d9cc97aea5.JPG

I think their traffic info and reports come from another company. The videos I've seen have what looks like a law enforcement officer giving the traffic report from what looks like a different studio.

If it is a California government provided service, that could explain a lot.

The traffic ticker at both stations in question is generated by Newsroom Solutions hardware and fetches data from various sources on the web, either public data or from a subscription service. The station can't fix it themselves afaik, they have to get Newsroom Solutions to fix it.

The traffic ticker at both stations in question is generated by Newsroom Solutions hardware and fetches data from various sources on the web, either public data or from a subscription service. The station can't fix it themselves afaik, they have to get Newsroom Solutions to fix it.

So that explains why the traffic ticker looks different from the design of other design at WMAR.

This guys hat in the lower left looked kind of odd... WXYZ has never used the abc7 branding before. Their last set of hats had their normal 7abc logo. I don't really know whether they are going to rebrand but they have dropped all references to 7 Action News the last few days except in the tosses to and from reports instead calling just calling it "Action News has helped..." etc. which has historically been the way they did self promotion during newscasts.

[ATTACH=full]2341[/ATTACH]

That's the WABC circle 7 incorrectly used in that cap. Whoops! No wonder it was obviously an employee freebie.

Note that WKBW brands itself as "7abc," and they now use the WXYZ logo outright.

That's the WABC circle 7 incorrectly used in that cap. Whoops! No wonder it was obviously an employee freebie.

Note that WKBW brands itself as "7abc," and they now use the WXYZ logo outright.

As bad as WXYZ is doing they might as well do anything and everything including a new version of their logo... one interesting thing to note is that the last time they did a major rebrand with a news director from New York they copied WABC (Bill Carey). The guy in charge now helped make that happen as Carey's assistant and he came from... New York. At any rate it is a funny mistake. The fat circle 7 (like the bug) does not appear on any of their merchandise though save for jackets with a colored logo and even then it's not as thick.... That's what got me wondering. They even still use old non 7abc umbrellas that may be as old as the O&O era.

Surprisingly I found a shot of the 7abc cap:

If you go to 55 seconds and pause it when the reporter looks down briefly you can get a really good view of what the current cap looks like with the 7abc logo. If there is a difference in the circle 7's (outside of the colors and abc placement) I'm having a hell of a time seeing what it might be... They appear to be the same shape and thickness and everything looks to be the same size in the gaps... It's like somebody just moved the abc and turned it white on a black cap.. One of the frustrations about WXYZ is that they have like 13 (well maybe not quite) versions of their logo floating about that get seen from time to time on their air... sometimes I think using the same logo on stuff isn't even a thought there.