Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

I'm somewhat surprised that WTMJ hasn't gotten The Now. They've got continuous newscasts from 3:00 to 6:30 (7:00, if you include "Wisconsin Tonight.") One would think they'd jump at the opportunity to rebrand at least a part of that, if only to reduce that nonstop block of news (albeit with a slightly different newscast).

they couldn't even if they wanted. the vizrt version of the scripps graphics won't be ready for a few more months.

I don't know how well the ratings would do in Milwaukee if The Now expanded to Milwaukee

can't do much worse than their 3:00 and 4:00 shows are doing now. :rolleyes:

I'm somewhat surprised that WTMJ hasn't gotten The Now. They've got continuous newscasts from 3:00 to 6:30 (7:00, if you include "Wisconsin Tonight.") One would think they'd jump at the opportunity to rebrand at least a part of that, if only to reduce that nonstop block of news (albeit with a slightly different newscast).

I thought I read that the 3pm news hour is ending. Am I not remembering correctly?

[quote name='TVNewsLover']I thought I read that the 3pm news hour is ending. Am I not remembering correctly?[/QUOTE] This Friday is the last show. Next Monday "The Fab Life" premieres. I'm thinking The Now might eventually launch at 4, but as @MilwaukeeInsider mentioned, they have to wait for everything to fall into place.

Even if the show does poorly, it will stick around as I doubt KGTV/Scripps will want to invest in syndicated programming to fill that hour. Who's to say that those syndies will fare any better? Not to mention that having The Now, they get to keep all ad revenue in-house. If they need to tweak it, they will but all indications are that The Now San Diego will be more hard-news oriented than what other Scripps stations have.

If it's going to be a hard news format it should end up being similar to WXYZ's...

Looking at WKBW's schedule, they are picking up "The List" at 7pm weeknights, with "Extra" moving to 4pm. They've also added "Comics Unleashed," "America's Court" and "Justice for All with Christine Perez" in overnight. Weekends look like they are slowly rebuilding their weekend programming inventory, with a cutback in infomercials.

No sign that they will be producing "The Now" anytime soon, but KB reporter Jason Gruenauer was tapped to be a national correspondent for "The Now" awhile back.

Cater Lee, the creator of "The List" and "Right this Minute" is returning to Scripps as their Vice President of Programming.

http://www.scripps.com/press-releases/906-cater-lee-returns-to-scripps-as

It's not clear if this position has anything to do with the locally-produced programming (like "The Now" and "The Morning Blend") on the Scripps stations.

If it's going to be a hard news format it should end up being similar to WXYZ's...

It's definitely a hard news format. I didn't find the show horrible. The talent is definitely still getting used to their roles on the show. They had Ann State running all over the place, sometimes uncertain the direction she should be taking. This is definitely a more casual show. I did like the colors (turquoise and orange) they were using to light the panels in the studio, giving the studio a different look

I thought the first show was a disaster. It was artificially "fast paced" and it showed. Just because you have a new set it does not mean you need to move every 6 seconds.

USE A STEADICAM!!!!

What are they gonna do on a slow news day??? Smoke some crack to get revved up??

They actually should have that hyper Virgina Cha anchor "The Now" and for gawds sake....

Get rid of the "Weather Pinata", she just does not do a thing for me...move her to the weekend am show and let me oggle over Kristine Keogh at least.

I thought the first show was a disaster.

I watched about 20 minutes of Tuesdays show and it was still a disaster. I don't know if they have a new crew in the control room as there were constant problems with mikes not being live at the right time (Anne saying out loud, "I can't hear you" into a live mike and then talking to Joe Little at his desk and having his mike go very hot and hers off) New guy Ariel showing a live shot from the flooding road behind Fashion Valley and having no idea where it was or that this is a typical event. (Ariel on set with suit but no tie look though every other male anchor/reporter had a tie on.)

• Like 4

It was a mess indeed. They were un-prepared for the show and it was obvious. It was clear that Ariel and Anne are not the type of anchors that can move around and read off the prompter or the ipad. I've tried to give Angelica Campos a shot, but she just comes across as cold, very little emotion and her delivery is not as fluid as the other weather women in the market.

I watched about 20 minutes of Tuesdays show and it was still a disaster. I don't know if they have a new crew in the control room as there were constant problems with mikes not being live at the right time (Anne saying out loud, "I can't hear you" into a live mike and then talking to Joe Little at his desk and having his mike go very hot and hers off) New guy Ariel showing a live shot from the flooding road behind Fashion Valley and having no idea where it was or that this is a typical event. (Ariel on set with suit but no tie look though every other male anchor/reporter had a tie on.)

It was like watching someone trying to feed steak to a baby.

They seem to be trying to create some synergy where there really is none at the time. Just wait till that week between Christmas and New Years when absolutely nothing is going on news wise. How will they fake the rush?

I thought the first show was a disaster. It was artificially "fast paced" and it showed. Just because you have a new set it does not mean you need to move every 6 seconds.

USE A STEADICAM!!!!

What are they gonna do on a slow news day??? Smoke some crack to get revved up??

They actually should have that hyper Virgina Cha anchor "The Now" and for gawds sake....

Get rid of the "Weather Pinata", she just does not do a thing for me...move her to the weekend am show and let me oggle over Kristine Keogh at least.

Not using a steadycam is standard across the entire group.