Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

FTVLive reports anchor Renee Nelson is heading to KGTV San Diego from KTVZ in Bend, Oregon. But she's not the only one heading from Oregon to SoCal: recent posts on her Twitter timeline suggest Anne State is also going to KGTV. She was most recently at KOIN in Portland, and previously worked in San Diego at KNSD from 2002 to 2008.

Seeing that ND Tiffany Lupenski came from Portland it all makes sense. More "San Diego Mommies" to watch fight it out for the top "Anchor Mommy" slot.

I hope there will be cupcakes.

From user "TheRob":

"Jane Monreal is joining Richard Sharp as a weekend morning anchor at KSHB. Monreal has most recently been anchoring at KIII in Corpus Christi, Texas. The two are among a large number of new faces you'll see at KSHB with all the turnover recently. Three new reporters are joining the station this and next month as well."

Renee Nelson will be the morning Live Center anchor:

Anne State could fit as an anchor for The Now, she knows the San Diego scene well and could articulately host the hour; if so, I wonder if they plan to pair her up.

Anne State could fit as an anchor for The Now, she knows the San Diego scene well and could articulately host the hour; if so, I wonder if they plan to pair her up.

I don't think Anne will do The Now, as they have Itica on the anchor desk already. Maybe as a reporter/fill-in anchor? Renee doesn't seem too bad, she'll fit in well at 10. I noticed that she said ABC 10 News in that clip. Looks like they are slowly incorporating that branding.

I hope they tell Renee Nelson about the broken traffic ticker. Jason Martinez said we was going get it fixed a few weeks ago.

I don't think Anne will do The Now, as they have Itica on the anchor desk already. Maybe as a reporter/fill-in anchor? Renee doesn't seem too bad, she'll fit in well at 10. I noticed that she said ABC 10 News in that clip. Looks like they are slowly incorporating that branding.

Do you think The Now will premiere next month? I have yet to see anything about the program, 10-4 San Diego was promoted quite heavily for at least the last month before they lost Oprah. Perhaps they will premiere the show quietly without much pep and treat it as a simple 4pm newscast with just the mandatory inclusion of The Now branding to please E.W. Scripps.

The station has always been slow with updating their branding, it's been bothering me for the last couple years since they moved onto their new set that they still have the old ABC glossy logo on front of their main desk television panel -- is it quite a bother to have that changed to the new version? I'd volunteer for free to come in and intern to help them out with that. (this coming from a recent college grad who wants to start his big boy job somewhere :drool:) Other than their Facebook and Instagram usernames, are they starting to refer to themselves as ABC 10 News elsewhere?

Do you think The Now will premiere next month? I have yet to see anything about the program, 10-4 San Diego was promoted quite heavily for at least the last month before they lost Oprah. Perhaps they will premiere the show quietly without much pep and treat it as a simple 4pm newscast with just the mandatory inclusion of The Now branding to please E.W. Scripps.

The station has always been slow with updating their branding, it's been bothering me for the last couple years since they moved onto their new set that they still have the old ABC glossy logo on front of their main desk television panel -- is it quite a bother to have that changed to the new version? I'd volunteer for free to come in and intern to help them out with that. (this coming from a recent college grad who wants to start his big boy job somewhere :drool:) Other than their Facebook and Instagram usernames, are they starting to refer to themselves as ABC 10 News elsewhere?

I've noticed that as well and have found it peculiar. I believe Inside Edition moves over to KFMB on Sept. 7. That will leave a gap in KGTV's schedule, unless they plug in re-runs of Right This Minute until they are ready to launch The Now.

As for the branding. Several weeks ago, Steve Atkinson went to cover the ESPY awards in LA and in the promo he said "Catch my reports, on ABC 10 News at 5,6,7 and 11pm". Then during the morning teases for the Midday news, in the L3 they started putting ABC 10 News, where before they scrunched the ABC 10News together. Also, they went from 10News to ABC10News on their instagram page. Little subtle hints, but the ESPY promo was the most blatant example of it.

P.S. that old logo on the desk drives me CRAZY, especially when the updated one is being displayed to the left on the Weather Center desk. Go figure.

posted this in the speculation board but it may interest more people here:

wgba in green bay has been posting some locally-branded content that used the scripps package to twitter for the last few weeks.

[MEDIA=twitter]633435764974616576[/MEDIA]

are the ex-journal stations that had no real art departments are starting to jump on the hub?

posted this in the speculation board but it may interest more people here:

wgba in green bay has been posting some locally-branded content that used the scripps package to twitter for the last few weeks.

[MEDIA=twitter]633435764974616576[/MEDIA]

are the ex-journal stations that had no real art departments are starting to jump on the hub?

I imagine they'll be cut over soon if they haven't already... They were gonna hire a couple graphical designers a couple months ago to work with the VizRT system Journal used...

I imagine they'll be cut over soon if they haven't already... They were gonna hire a couple graphical designers a couple months ago to work with the VizRT system Journal used...

I believe WGBA was one of, if not the last JBG stations to not have VizRT, which is why their version of the graphics package looks so messed up.

I believe WGBA was one of, if not the last JBG stations to not have VizRT, which is why their version of the graphics package looks so messed up.

If it doesn't have the VizRT system I wonder if they'll just install what the Scripps stations used pre-merger? It looks like the Journal stations are getting a pretty unmodified Scripps package... Have they implemented it anywhere yet on the Journal stations?

If it doesn't have the VizRT system I wonder if they'll just install what the Scripps stations used pre-merger.

That would be Chyron. From what I hear, Scripps is moving off Chyron to Viz (That's why they were hiring Viz people for the hub).

In the meantime I guess WGBA is just stuck in limbo.

That would be Chyron. From what I hear, Scripps is moving off Chyron to Viz (That's why they were hiring Viz people for the hub).

In the meantime I guess WGBA is just stuck in limbo.

If I might ask... Are Chyron and Viz able to display the same graphics exactly the same or would this be an excuse to tweak the graphics to accommodate a different system?

If I might ask... Are Chyron and Viz able to display the same graphics exactly the same or would this be an excuse to tweak the graphics to accommodate a different system?

You could use it as an excuse to change things up, because there are differences, but it sounds like Scripps is quite happy with the package just the way it is.

You could use it as an excuse to change things up, because there are differences, but it sounds like Scripps is quite happy with the package just the way it is.

How much work would it take for Scripps to adapt their package from chyron to VizRT?

How much work would it take for Scripps to adapt their package from chyron to VizRT?

It really depends on a few things.

A good example of a poor conversion from to Viz can be seen at CBS O&Os.

Let's remind ourselves what the first leak of the current graphics looked like.

[GALLERY=media, 342]mobile L3 by Weeters posted Sep 15, 2013 at 4:33 PM[/GALLERY]

KDKA, last I heard, uses PixelPower CG's and thus the graphics use the pre-rendered files that were created in better software (probably Cinema 4D and After Effects)

These also match what's at WCBS

But look at the lower thirds at WBBM.

They animate on differently and look a bit different. WBBM uses VizRT, and so the lower third graphics were re-built in Viz, and not very well when you look at the other O&O's.

Since Scripps seems to obsess over how their stations look, my guess is they'll take the time to make sure everything looks right.

Andy Choi, an MMJ at WXYZ since 2013 and weekend morning anchor since 2014 has been promoted to National Correspondent for The NOW based out of Denver. He is very very good and should be a big help to the national content they put out.

Looks like Anne State will be co-hosting The Now, she'll be joined by The List correspondent Ariel Wesler. [MEDIA=twitter]637323735825977344[/MEDIA]

And they've hired another additional reporter, Jessica Chen from Time Warner Cable News in NYC.

[MEDIA=twitter]636912048740388864[/MEDIA]

So many hirings going on at that station.

Something seems fishy. Why would they bring in two new people to anchor one newscast, when they have Itica already on the evening news? Unless KGTV plans on dropping either Kim or Itica, this move is a head-scratcher. So now the evening lineup will be as follows:

4pm: Anne State & Ariel Wesler

5pm: Kimberly Hunt & Steve Atkinson

5:30pm: Steve Atkinson & Itica Milanes

6pm: Itica Milanes & Kimberly Hunt

7pm/11pm: Kimberly Hunt & Steve Atkinson

BTW: Dan Haggerty and Cristin Severance will be leaving the station for CBS 11/Dallas-Ft.Worth. Dan will be a weekend anchor and Cristin will be a consumer reporter. They leave in early September.

Something seems fishy. Why would they bring in two new people to anchor one newscast, when they have Itica already on the evening news? Unless KGTV plans on dropping either Kim or Itica, this move is a head-scratcher. So now the evening lineup will be as follows:

4pm: Anne State & Ariel Wesler

5pm: Kimberly Hunt & Steve Atkinson

5:30pm: Steve Atkinson & Itica Milanes

6pm: Itica Milanes & Kimberly Hunt

7pm/11pm: Kimberly Hunt & Steve Atkinson

BTW: Dan Haggerty and Cristin Severance will be leaving the station for CBS 11/Dallas-Ft.Worth. Dan will be a weekend anchor and Cristin will be a consumer reporter. They leave in early September.

I'm guessing they're looking for a different vibe.

Interesting that Dan and Cristin are leaving, they've been really great assets to the station since they came to SD. I could totally see either Anne or Ariel doing the Live Center. I wonder if they already have a plan to hire someone to replace Cristin or promote someone from within.

Between KGTV in SD and KTVK-KPHO here, it's like a competition to see who has the most churn on their news staff.

And i'm sure more changes are on the way. This station for the last 5 years or so has had A LOT of turn over.

I'm guessing they're looking for a different vibe.

Interesting that Dan and Cristin are leaving, they've been really great assets to the station since they came to SD. I could totally see either Anne or Ariel doing the Live Center. I wonder if they already have a plan to hire someone to replace Cristin or promote someone from within.

Yeah, it's a big loss. I'm guessing that had they offered Dan the 4pm show, he probably would have stayed. Honestly, he deserved it. Cristin was a top notch investigative reporter. Plus, they were really well liked. They still have Alison Ash and Melissa Mecija on TEAM 10. Although, I have yet to see any openings to cover Cristin's spot. Maybe they'll have Ariel do that? Who knows. If KNSD was smart, they'd try and poach Alison away from 10 for their own I-Team.

It's KGTV 's first ever female New Director. she lopped off heads a few months back, now she is bringing in her own picks.

Well, she may be the first female ND, but she is still under the auspices of the old ND... She may not exactly be able to have full control of who she wants or doesn't want. I'm sure all this recent turnover is making the others uneasy, especially when several, well-liked personalities have recently left, or will leave soon. Have you heard who else is on their way out?