Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

The XYZ version is pretty much straight hard news and they are now promoting it counter to First At 4. "Breaking news NOW, Your latest forecast NOW" etc... It's an admiral job given the hand they were dealt. It's basically morphed into the anti-now and the open uses "You're watching 7 Action News" instead of mentioning the NOW at all in the VO. They saw it didn't work and ran as far away from it as Scripps let them. It's an earlier time clone of their O&O style 5pm. At some point it'll probably become 7 Action News at 4.

Overall compared to version 1.0, the 2.0 version is a masterpiece. That's how horrific the first 6 months of this show were.

There were rumors back not too long ago that the Now in Kansas City would either be canceled, put on hiatus, or moved. Seems like that's no longer happening since they changed it to a 2 anchor format earlier this month or late last month. However its ratings are still abysmal. I believe it's only placed 3rd one time, above Ellen, but that had to have been an anomaly because it went right back into the gutter. There was once a day it rated sub 1.0...

There were rumors back not too long ago that the Now in Kansas City would either be canceled, put on hiatus, or moved. Seems like that's no longer happening since they changed it to a 2 anchor format earlier this month or late last month. However its ratings are still abysmal. I believe it's only placed 3rd one time, above Ellen, but that had to have been an anomaly because it went right back into the gutter. There was once a day it rated sub 1.0...

Sub 1.0 total?

Ellen is pretty darn popular on WDIV here and it's actually hurt The NOW because it gives First At 4 a big lead in which is something Dr. Oz just cannot do and neither could Meredith.

If you've never seen The Now, you can take a look at some of the content that Newsy has. It's some division of Scripps that produces packages about national news (or "trends") with content scraped from social media. I don't really get what it is or whether Scripps is trying to make it a site that stands on its own to compete with a lot of the other new media outlets, but a lot of Newsy packages are fed into The Now (or at least that's true for the KMGH version).

As for Denver, I don't really mind The Now all that much, as their only competition is KUSA, which is also pretty silly at that hour. KMGH's old 4pm format from a few years ago that was single-anchored by Anne Trujillo with a lot of hard news and a smidge of topical viewer email responses (much like what Jack Cafferty used to do) was my favorite.

If you've never seen The Now, you can take a look at some of the content that Newsy has. It's some division of Scripps that produces packages about national news (or "trends") with content scraped from social media. I don't really get what it is or whether Scripps is trying to make it a site that stands on its own to compete with a lot of the other new media outlets, but a lot of Newsy packages are fed into The Now (or at least that's true for the KMGH version).

As for Denver, I don't really mind The Now all that much, as their only competition is KUSA, which is also pretty silly at that hour. KMGH's old 4pm format from a few years ago that was single-anchored by Anne Trujillo with a lot of hard news and a smidge of topical viewer email responses (much like what Jack Cafferty used to do) was my favorite.

Interesting... They use lots of ABC News packages here and some Scripps national ones... If they've used Newsey ones I'd have no idea how to tell...

Yeah, they're blank, but they exist, which is the important thing here.

Someone on here said that the Murrow awards have to do with content and not necessarily design.

I think I mentioned it earlier. But anyway here's the category description for websites:

Who's eligible to enter this category?

The news organization's website, as its principal function, must disseminate timely news and information targeted for its core audiences. News content must be generated primarily by entrant, supplemented by secondary content provided by wire services or networks. The site should be of practical use to the general public and maximize online technologies to inform and educate the public and enhance public debate about important daily issues.

What do I need to enter?

Submit at least 5 examples of functioning, cached or active URLs that demonstrate exceptional news coverage and journalistic skill. One of these must be the home page.

Entry must include original content.

Creativity, clarity, storytelling techniques, and use of audio, video or other Internet technologies will be considered by the judges.

A short description is requested.

- See more at: http://www.rtdna.org/content/edward_r_murrow_awards#sthash.0PwABk4o.dpuf

Based on that description it doesn't sound like that it has to win any design awards but rather easily has a simple ease of use.

L

I think Scripps got their new studio design from WDRB in Louisville. But, I am not sure because the new look debuted in late September after KMGH's new studio debuted.

WDRB 6pm Open 9-22-14

I think Scripps got their new studio design from WDRB in Louisville. But, I am not sure because the new look debuted in late September after KMGH's new studio debuted.

WDRB 6pm Open 9-22-14

In the end they got it from a design company and not Louisville. They aren't all identical either.

WXYZ dumped it's duratrans in favor of a screen mounted in it's place. This allows them to change images behind the anchors on the fly. The image displayed is a smaller version of what the duratrans used to look like and the circle 7 logo no longer gets cut off. For the last 4 years only the bottom of the circle 7 was visible in a close-up 2 anchor shot. It is a horrifically calibrated set but this improves it somewhat:

Here's an example of it changing images:

WXYZ dumped it's duratrans in favor of a screen mounted in it's place. This allows them to change images behind the anchors on the fly. The image displayed is a smaller version of what the duratrans used to look like and the circle 7 logo no longer gets cut off. For the last 4 years only the bottom of the circle 7 was visible in a close-up 2 anchor shot. It is a horrifically calibrated set but this improves it somewhat:

Here's an example of it changing images:

Wow. Never realized how bad that duratran looked until they put in that monitor array. So much better! The whole set might look better if they replaced the duratrans on on either side of the anchors with monitors as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking at job postings locally and found that KGTV ABC10 San Diego is looking for an anchor for the local version of The Now:

KGTV, San Diego's ABC affiliate, is seeking an Anchor for our new hard-news focused 4 PM newscast, presenting content in a creative and active presentation style.

They are also looking to expand their morning cast with a Live Center anchor position as well.

I wonder when The Now will premiere, I don't remembering hearing or seeing any promos about it, same thing can be said about the new syndicated talkshow program that they picked up, Tyra's FabLife show that will air at 2pm here in San Diego come September 14. I've seen promos saying that Inside Edition will be moving to KFMB (CBS 8) this fall.

So San Diego will now have 4 newscasts competing against each other at 4pm. Will be interesting to see what the KGTV version of The Now will look like and how it will they differentiate themselves from the rest. I would prefer a hard-news and relevant topics angle (something like CBS This Morning) without the use of Kardashians, puppy videos and the latest diet trends to fill up most of the hour. If any of you follow local news down here in this classy city, Channel 10 developed and aired "10-4: San Diego" back in May of 2006 when they lost Oprah to KFMB's CBS 8, that talkshow hybrid was pretty fluffy and was canned that same summer just before the 2006-2007 television was about to start and they stuck to just a simple, regular newscast for the rest of that season before going to a two-hour gameshow block the season after that. I hope that history won't repeat itself and they have learned their lesson.

I was looking at job postings locally and found that KGTV ABC10 San Diego is looking for an anchor for the local version of The Now:

They are also looking to expand their morning cast with a Live Center anchor position as well.

I wonder when The Now will premiere, I don't remembering hearing or seeing any promos about it, same thing can be said about the new syndicated talkshow program that they picked up, Tyra's FabLife show that will air at 2pm here in San Diego come September 14. I've seen promos saying that Inside Edition will be moving to KFMB (CBS 8) this fall.

So San Diego will now have 4 newscasts competing against each other at 4pm. Will be interesting to see what the KGTV version of The Now will look like and how it will they differentiate themselves from the rest. I would prefer a hard-news and relevant topics angle (something like CBS This Morning) without the use of Kardashians, puppy videos and the latest diet trends to fill up most of the hour. If any of you follow local news down here in this classy city, Channel 10 developed and aired "10-4: San Diego" back in May of 2006 when they lost Oprah to KFMB's CBS 8, that talkshow hybrid was pretty fluffy and was canned that same summer just before the 2006-2007 television was about to start and they stuck to just a simple, regular newscast for the rest of that season before going to a two-hour gameshow block the season after that.

Apparently the hard news style The NOW they implemented here in Detroit in April is spreading. The "LIVE Center" was added here in April too though I don't know if they implanted it here first or not.

Hard news is a far cry from what The NOW was supposed to be.

So San Diego will now have 4 newscasts competing against each other at 4pm. Will be interesting to see what the KGTV version of The Now will look like and how it will they differentiate themselves from the rest. I would prefer a hard-news and relevant topics angle (something like CBS This Morning) without the use of Kardashians, puppy videos and the latest diet trends to fill up most of the hour. If any of you follow local news down here in this classy city, Channel 10 developed and aired "10-4: San Diego" back in May of 2006 when they lost Oprah to KFMB's CBS 8, that talkshow hybrid was pretty fluffy and was canned that same summer just before the 2006-2007 television was about to start and they stuck to just a simple, regular newscast for the rest of that season before going to a two-hour gameshow block the season after that. I hope that history won't repeat itself and they have learned their lesson.

I was waiting to see what they would plug in at 4. They have quite bit of openings on the scheduling front since Let's Ask America got canned, and with IE moving out, they had an hour to program. I figured they would add in a 4pm newscast. Honestly, my guess is that the 4pm newscast will be heavy on the Team 10 Investigations and the Breaking News Tracker. For all the complaints I have about KGTV, this 4pm newscast is a welcome addition since it will make the other stations- especially KNSD up their game at 4pm. For sure Itica gets a seat but I was hoping they would have added Dan Haggerty to the desk as well, but it looks like they will be going outside for that hire.

As for the Live Center position. That is the spot that was vacated by Natasha Zouves after she left for KGO. So most likely the new hire will do traffic in addition to the Live Center.

Just another newscast for political avails.

You can bet there will be plenty of puppy videos and maybe even the world famous broken KGTV traffic ticker.

As far as a "live center anchor" goes....

Don't count on getting "anchor bucks", it just a fancy title for MMJ. Could even be a perdiem MMJ.

If that sounds, fun then get in line to pee in the cup!

Apparently the hard news style The NOW they implemented here in Detroit in April is spreading. The "LIVE Center" was added here in April too though I don't know if they implanted it here first or not.

Hard news is a far cry from what The NOW was supposed to be.

The Live Center has been part of 10News for the past couple of seasons. I feel like KGTV copied the Live Center idea from KNSD NBC 7 down here. Last year, the station rotated some of their morning talent to different positions: like their traffic reporter (Melissa Mecija) became an evening investigative reporter and their morning Live Center anchor (Natahsha Zouves) became the official morning traffic reporter and has multitasked both positions since. Dan Haggerty has been the evening Live Center anchor and I would also say that he could be a nice fit for a co-anchor position for The Now IMHO since he's already aquatinted with hosting from the newsroom during the Live Center segments.

As for the Live Center position. That is the spot that was vacated by Natasha Zouves after she left for KGO. So most likely the new hire will do traffic in addition to the Live Center.

Oh that's unfortunate, I didn't realized she left. I would agree with you then that the position will most likely be catering to both areas most likely.

As for The Now, it would make the most logical sense if they paired Dan Haggerty and Itica Milanes since they are already there anyways for the evening newscasts, I guess we'll see what happens. I just hope that it's more innovative than just recapping investigative stories though. As for KGTV as a whole, I feel like they are in a better place compared to the last few years of the McGraw Hill ownership (cutbacks, top talent leaving, on-air protests from the union, 10-4 San Diego, etc.).

Pretty sure it's not going to be "The Now".

Just another newscast for political avails.

You can bet there will be plenty of puppy videos and maybe even the world famous broken KGTV traffic ticker.

As far as a "live center anchor" goes....

Don't count on getting "anchor bucks", it just a fancy title for MMJ. Could even be a perdiem MMJ.

If that sounds, fun then get in line to pee in the cup!

It's listed as The Now on the jobs page. Hard news means no puppy videos! LOL. It's all about the BREAKING NEWS TRACKER!!!!!1111!!!!! and TEAM 10

It's listed as The Now on the jobs page. Hard news means no puppy videos! LOL. It's all about the BREAKING NEWS TRACKER!!!!!1111!!!!! and TEAM 10

Yeah I finally saw the job posting....I digress.

Puppy videos and the Breaking News Crapper!

More non-stedicam shaky shots....

Maybe KFMB can bring back....

"This Day"

If Jim Holtzman and Ron Mires were dead,,,,they would roll in the grave.

To bad both are alive and have to watch this crap.

Wow. Never realized how bad that duratran looked until they put in that monitor array. So much better! The whole set might look better if they replaced the duratrans on on either side of the anchors with monitors as well.

Well here's version 1.0 of a new duratrans image for WXYZ to use on their fancy new screen as seen on their 5pm on Wednesday as an apparent experiment:

The fact that the images behind the circle 7 keep changing and the circle 7 is too big make this something that needs work. It does bring them more in line with the V2 graphical look by having the angular Scripps gold and blue swooshes in each corner. The old duratrans image was used for the 6-7-11 on Wednesday which further indicates an experiment.

WPTV is launching an hour-long midday newscast at 11:00 a.m. beginning on September 24, which will replace its existing half-hour noon newscast.

The "online tabloid" Gossip Extra is reporting that the station is also shifting John Favole and Roxanne Stein from WPTV's 4:30 to 7:00 a.m. morning newscasts after the September 4 broadcast after a 20-year run, replacing them with Mike Trim and Ashleigh Walters. Favole and Stein will become anchors of the 7:00 to 9:00 a.m. newscast on sister Fox affiliate WFLX and co-anchor the new 11:00 a.m. newscast with morning traffic anchor Hollani Davis.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/wptv-moves-longtime-anchors-adds-newscast/153936

http://www.gossipextra.com/2015/08/20/roxanne-stein-john-favole-out-wptv-morning-show-5128/

FTVLive reports anchor Renee Nelson is heading to KGTV San Diego from KTVZ in Bend, Oregon. But she's not the only one heading from Oregon to SoCal: recent posts on her Twitter timeline suggest Anne State is also going to KGTV. She was most recently at KOIN in Portland, and previously worked in San Diego at KNSD from 2002 to 2008.

WXYZ is modifying the main part of it's set. The 11pm newscast tonight used the auxiliary set on the other side of the studio that the morning and 10pm newscasts use. They have been making minor tweaks to the set over the last few weeks including a new monitor array duratrans behind the anchor desk. The modifications are supposed to be done sometime soon.

FTVLive reports anchor Renee Nelson is heading to KGTV San Diego from KTVZ in Bend, Oregon. But she's not the only one heading from Oregon to SoCal: recent posts on her Twitter timeline suggest Anne State is also going to KGTV. She was most recently at KOIN in Portland, and previously worked in San Diego at KNSD from 2002 to 2008.

KGTV has been on a hiring spree lately. Wonder who else will be leaving...