Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

Good for them! And while they're playing around on Facebook and Twitter on their iPhones, ratings for the newscasts are plummeting. KNSD finished third place or worst and was down double-digits in viewership for every show during the last May sweeps. If it weren't for XETV they'd be in last place. But hey, at least they're leading in Facebook likes and website clicks, right?

That bad? wow. At what point does the ND get held accountable? He's been there for a long time, and if anything the newscasts are getting staler.

This is not unique to Scripps, but they want to do more with less. The problem is one can only do less with less. The List, Right This Minute, etc., is nothing more than America's Funniest Home Videos packaged as news. It looks cheap. It is cheap. It carries over to some of the real news product too. People are still buying the ad space, though.

This is not unique to Scripps, but they want to do more with less. The problem is one can only do less with less. The List, Right This Minute, etc., is nothing more than America's Funniest Home Videos packaged as news. It looks cheap. It is cheap. It carries over to some of the real news product too. People are still buying the ad space, though.

As long as they don't get rid of Right This Minute, I'm fine with that. I love that show.

I thought I read recently that the company that aggregates the videos from youtube, and others...was being sued by FOX and some others over the "fair use "clause.

The funny thing is the people that are suing, are also clients of this company.

The fair use of certain clips, was decided in the 90's in Tur v KCAL in federal court. Bob(Zoey) Tur won that case.

KCAL was accused of stealing the Reginal Denny beating video by claiming "fair use".

Could we see an end to the cheap "clip shows'?

I thought I read recently that the company that aggregates the videos from youtube, and others...was being sued by FOX and some others over the "fair use "clause.

The funny thing is the people that are suing, are also clients of this company.

The fair use of certain clips, was decided in the 90's in Tur v KCAL in federal court. Bob(Zoey) Tur won that case.

KCAL was accused of stealing the Reginal Denny beating video by claiming "fair use".

Could we see an end to the cheap "clip shows'?

The company that Fox was using was TVEyes which records all the cable news networks, every TV station in all 210 DMA, international news networks, every BBC and ITV region and several others countries. TV Eyes records the stations in real time in HD and allows subscribers to view said stations in near real time, they can search transcripts going back 32 days and allows users to download clips up to 10 minutes long.

Today marks one year of The Now in Kansas City.

Wow, it's only been one year? Perhaps Scripps will take a look at it and see how the show has done over that year. They'll find that they never climbed out from #4, had occasional bouts of #5, and that it adversely affected their 5 and 6pm newscasts as well. But probably not, since this is Scripps.

Something that's interesting to note is the Now's Facebook page; after one year it's only garnered just over a measly 2,500 likes.

Ironically they were slow and stubborn at rolling websites out to their stations 15 years ago... They say "innovation is in our blood" but i think it's the slow and stubborn part.

NewsNet5.com was relatively unchanged since the initial rollout in 1998 until it was finally integrated into the Scripps CMS back in 2010...

NewsNet5.com was relatively unchanged since the initial rollout in 1998 until it was finally integrated into the Scripps CMS back in 2010...

That kind of says something about the priorities of the time... Somehow I don't think frequent updates are in their wheelhouse.

It was 1996 when Scripps last had a CBS-affiliated TV station.

Funny how they don't mention that said station was WCPO. (KENS is borderline, but I imagine it "doesn't count" because Scripps never held operational control over it)

Funny how they don't mention that said station was WCPO. (KENS is borderline, but I imagine it "doesn't count" because Scripps never held operational control over it)

Not to mention the last time it had a Fox affiliate was back in 1995 before KNXV and WFTS switched to ABC.

Not to mention that the last time they had Fox affiliates was in 1995 before KNXV and WFTS switched over to ABC.

I remember someone on here figured out where the Scripps websites hide before they go live during WKBW's integration...

http://www.scrippsnationalnews.com/web/wtvf

http://www.scrippsnationalnews.com/web/wtmj

http://www.scrippsnationalnews.com/web/ktnv

Barebones right now, but at least that means the awful Journal sites are going to go away.

I remember someone on here figured out where the Scripps websites hide before they go live during WKBW's integration...

Barebones right now, but at least that means the awful Journal sites are going to go away.

When I clicked on WTVF it gave me their site with the WXYZ logo at the top. Of the other 2 one was blank and the other had a Scripps logo at the top.

As for the NOW... It ranges from bad in some markets to actually pretty good in Detroit.

Everybody is complaining about how bad The Now is. I have never watched it. What's wrong with it?

For KSHB at least, it's just a mess. Hand held cameras everywhere so everything is shaky and dizzying, constant weather teases without a full weathercast until late into the newscast, often times has a tabloid feel, covers more entertainment and technology stories than actual local news, the Now national segment is anchored by someone who, I feel, is not experienced enough.

It's destroyed KSHB's evening newscasts.

Didn't TMJ4 just win an Edward R. Murrow award for best website?

For KSHB at least, it's just a mess. Hand held cameras everywhere so everything is shaky and dizzying, constant weather teases without a full weathercast until late into the newscast, often times has a tabloid feel, covers more entertainment and technology stories than actual local news, the Now national segment is anchored by someone who, I feel, is not experienced enough.

It's destroyed KSHB's evening newscasts.

Ours was like that too except they did a conventionally timed weathercast.

When I clicked on WTVF it gave me their site with the WXYZ logo at the top. Of the other 2 one was blank and the other had a Scripps logo at the top.

As for the NOW... It ranges from bad in some markets to actually pretty good in Detroit.

Yeah, they're blank, but they exist, which is the important thing here.

Didn't TMJ4 just win an Edward R. Murrow award for best website?

Someone on here said that the Murrow awards have to do with content and not necessarily design.

Everybody is complaining about how bad The Now is. I have never watched it. What's wrong with it?

From the WXYZ version, it just tries too hard not to become an awkward 4 pm newscast with social media integration - which is what The Now exactly is. When I originally thought of The Now I thought it to be a relevant version of Entertainment Tonight at a local level. Hell, I thought it would be CityPulse USA edition. However, that's what I thought. The Now is fairly good on what it tries not to be because they provided nothing new to the table which I would deem something to watch for. They have the steadycam, the newsroom, the social media, the Skype, and the graphics. They stressed they're different, but what they provided can be easily compared to a typical 4pm newscast talking about stories that I wonder why people even care about with "social media" added to it's title. WDIV's First at Four is exactly that. Nevertheless, I've seen that concept way too many times. Nothing new to see here.

From the WXYZ version, it just tries too hard not to become an awkward 4 pm newscast with social media integration - which is what The Now exactly is. When I originally thought of The Now I thought it to be a relevant version of Entertainment Tonight at a local level. Hell, I thought it would be CityPulse USA edition. However, that's what I thought. The Now is fairly good on what it tries not to be because they provided nothing new to the table which I would deem something to watch for. They have the steadycam, the newsroom, the social media, the Skype, and the graphics. They stressed they're different, but what they provided can be easily compared to a typical 4pm newscast talking about stories that I wonder why people even care about with "social media" added to it's title. WDIV's First at Four is exactly that. Nevertheless, I've seen that concept way too many times. Nothing new to see here.

The XYZ version is pretty much straight hard news and they are now promoting it counter to First At 4. "Breaking news NOW, Your latest forecast NOW" etc... It's an admiral job given the hand they were dealt. It's basically morphed into the anti-now and the open uses "You're watching 7 Action News" instead of mentioning the NOW at all in the VO. They saw it didn't work and ran as far away from it as Scripps let them. It's an earlier time clone of their O&O style 5pm. At some point it'll probably become 7 Action News at 4.

Overall compared to version 1.0, the 2.0 version is a masterpiece. That's how horrific the first 6 months of this show were.