Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

It would have to be awfully dominant to leapfrog all those bigger stations in revenue. WXYZ has always been Scripps cash cow so to speak. That their new Nashville station may be the #2 is surprising... Or maybe not... It is Scripps after all.

It was outperforming all the other Journal stations since the second they took ownership of it and became the de-facto flagship station for the group. It doesn't surprise me to hear it is #2 under Scripps.

It was outperforming all the other Journal stations since the second they took ownership of it and became the de-facto flagship station for the group. It doesn't surprise me to hear it is #2 under Scripps.

It's kind of a sad commentary on all the larger market Scripps stations though...

Phoenix

Tampa

Denver

Cleveland

Baltimore

Indy

San Diego

I hate to throw back to a post from two weeks ago, but I don't hang around these parts like I used to...

WTVF is the dominant number 1 in the Nashville market. It has won all time slots for more than a year now, and when it didn't completely sweep previously, it was losing by a fraction of a point in one newscast.

Upon joining Scripps it jumps in as the #2 station for revenue in the company. Behind only WXYZ. We ain't all 3rd or 4th place stations...

#wigsnatch

Part of that success at WTVF belongs to Debbie Turner and Lyn Plantinga, the former of whom now has a bigger role within Scripps as its Executive Vice President of Television (a similar role she was promoted to after WTVF was acquired by Journal pre-merger). Although she still has to report to Lawlor (the Senior VP), hopefully Turner's expertise in running a successful station is enough to turn around the fortunes of the other stations she now oversees.

It's kind of a sad commentary on all the larger market Scripps stations though...

Phoenix

Tampa

Denver

Cleveland

Baltimore

Indy

San Diego

Especially Cleveland and Cincinnati, since both are markets where Scripps has continuously owned stations since they were signed on.

WEWS has fared far worse than WCPO and has been a ratings disaster for over a decade now...

The past few posts have really made it clear how much Scripps' existing stations have struggled...many of them are in the bottom half, if not just last, in their markets. If any progress is made, Scripps makes a decision that ends up hurting them and pushing them back down.

WTVF is indeed one of their bright spots. It's not exactly my cup of tea, IMHO (I prefer WSMV) but if it dominates the market and is making piles of money, it's a prime example of what's been working.

Very little has changed since Landmark sold out to Journal back in 2012.

They have a highly regarded investigative unit, something that seems to be on the chopping block for many of Scripps' stations and newer acquisitions (namely KMGH and WTMJ)

WTVF is indeed one of their bright spots. It's not exactly my cup of tea, IMHO (I prefer WSMV) but if it dominates the market and is making piles of money, it's a prime example of what's been working.

Very little has changed since Landmark sold out to Journal back in 2012.

They have a highly regarded investigative unit, something that seems to be on the chopping block for many of Scripps' stations and newer acquisitions (namely KMGH and WTMJ)

I wonder why they are cutting some to the bone and sparing others?

I wonder why they are cutting some to the bone and sparing others?

The only reason I could think of is that those station they're cutting staff /resources are in the red and are trying to balance their books. Perhaps once they even out they get more resources.

They are cutting those that make the most money from the recent M/A's.

Former "skilled" positions union OG's etc.

Some stations aquired were already cut to the bone, and needed a little loving. I bet KTNV-13 was a wreck.

The folks at Scripps made it pretty clear about cuts and philosophies to the staff when they took over KGTV. In San Diego it's been pretty diplomatic and up-front for most. They want their own 'People" calling the shots.

The MGH stations came in "heavy" for the Scripps formula/ideas. So "real" investigative units were cut and replaced with "investigators" that will help you locate your lost pet.

One 10-News "investigator" still thinks the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission is "part of the shopping mall police".

They want the experienced, high salary people to retire. Or re-up at a lower rate.

Some stations aquired were already cut to the bone, and needed a little loving. I bet KTNV-13 was a wreck.

The folks at Scripps made it pretty clear about cuts and philosophies to the staff when they took over KGTV. In San Diego it's been pretty diplomatic and up-front for most. They want their own 'People" calling the shots.

The MGH stations came in "heavy" for the Scripps formula/ideas. So "real" investigative units were cut and replaced with "investigators" that will help you locate your lost pet.

One 10-News "investigator" still thinks the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission is "part of the shopping mall police".

They want the experienced, high salary people to retire. Or re-up at a lower rate.

How are the negotiations going with Scripps and NABET 54? And that new weather girl... terrible. I get the feeling that she is not well liked. Hunt was giving her the death stares her first week there. It will be interesting to see what the November book looks like compared to the May book just to see how much of a difference the departures of Brown, Griffith and Lawrence have made.

How are the negotiations going with Scripps and NABET 54? And that new weather girl... terrible. I get the feeling that she is not well liked. Hunt was giving her the death stares her first week there. It will be interesting to see what the November book looks like compared to the May book just to see how much of a difference the departures of Brown, Griffith and Lawrence have made.

I have no idea about that but I was surprised to learn that WMAR is still a union shop through IBEW & SAG/AFTRA (WBAL is the other Baltimore union).

Makes me look at WMAR in a better light.

The talks are continuing but the union is getting pretty small. Most people in KGTV don't "need" to be union. The shooter in the breaking news tracker is non union because there is no skill involved, and they are not part of the union. Some shooters and tech are union...but not that many.

You should take a look at the current contract, it's gutted and almost worthless.

KFMB Photographers and techs went on strike in 1976...dumped the union and they have nice shop to work in.

As far as the new WXmodels....

It's clear Scripps didn't pass those 2 through a focus group first. Maybe a metal detector?

As you can guess Kimberley has got to be thinking about her contract (who wouldn't).

Scripps really wants talent on social media. How do you resolve the fact that the females take all kinds of abuse on facebook, twitter ect... How can that be right to insist they participate in that?

Nobody needs that abuse at work.

There is a copy of the current contract at www.10newsunfair.com

tmj is adding much needed producers and mmj's... announced in a meeting last week (along with field equipment upgrades... maybe they will retire the satellite truck they have been driving around since the late 1980's)... but they're also planning on installing ignite... gotta free up the money for those new positions somewhere... a couple of veteran engineers getting laid off should balance out the six or seven new low-paying newsroom jobs... adding to the i-team too, new i-team producer started last week... the biggest problem at tmj is low morale due to lack of communication from management. everyone knows things are going on but nobody talks about them. gm says "no rumors" but can't commit to saying yes or no about layoffs due to ignite or hubbing (traffic, master control, graphics). :confused:

ktnv has always been a wreck... moreso since their nd jumped ship right before sweeps... they're adding staff too... they stand to improve a lot if scripps fixes all the messes journal created... actually putting staff in their giant empty newsroom is one. riding tmj's dirty coat-tails is the other (dump "dirty dining" already!!!)

one fun station to watch should be wgba... journal never seemed to care much for this station despite it being the closest market to the main office... still in 16:9 standard def and using a bastardized version of the journal graphics. they got all of wtmj's hand-me-downs and i think their entire budget may have been whatever money tmj had left over at the end of the last fiscal year... LOL. the only thing they can do in HD are the ridiculous Packers TV Network programs because journal bought them an hd field production kit (tricaster) for that... allegedly they still switch on an ancient GVG-200...

WXYZ has some more sports stuff coming... this time it's a partnership with the University of Michigan:

WXYZ is partnering with U of M starting Sunday August 30th at 1030am as part of its sports block. They will air "Inside Michigan Football" with Jim Harbaugh. It'll run 14 weeks. Starting December 6th Men's Basketball Head Coach John Beilein's show "Inside Michigan Basketball" will also air at 1030am Sundays. Their Monday 6pm newscast is also gonna have interviews with Harbaugh and Beilein weekly during their respective seasons.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/wxyz-tv-to-premiere-inside-michigan-football-featuring-coach-jim-harbaugh

For all the disinvestment we have been talking about they have been investing A LOT into their Detroit operations and largely sparing them from the clown stuff at some of the other properties.

WXYZ has some more sports stuff coming... this time it's a partnership with the University of Michigan:

WXYZ is partnering with U of M starting Sunday August 30th at 1030am as part of its sports block. They will air "Inside Michigan Football" with Jim Harbaugh. It'll run 14 weeks. Starting December 6th Men's Basketball Head Coach John Beilein's show "Inside Michigan Basketball" will also air at 1030am Sundays. Their Monday 6pm newscast is also gonna have interviews with Harbaugh and Beilein weekly during their respective seasons.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/wxyz-tv-to-premiere-inside-michigan-football-featuring-coach-jim-harbaugh

For all the disinvestment we have been talking about they have been investing A LOT into their Detroit operations and largely sparing them from the clown stuff at some of the other properties.

So what does that mean for "7 Action News This Morning at 10:30am" on Sundays?

It's clear Scripps didn't pass those 2 through a focus group first. Maybe a metal detector?

I'm not familiar with their new weekend morning girl so I can't tell you how she is but I saw a clip of their new chief meteorologist Angelica Campos and god she seems so stuck up, fake and plastic. She clearly isn't ready for a major role like the chief meteorologist position and there are far more qualified candidates out there too (but I know this is Scripps we're talking). I just can't seem to warm up to her and frankly she was kind of hard to watch.

I also saw a clip of their old weather lady Pat Brown and she seemed far more likeable and genuine. Hoping she will land somewhere, because KGTV just made their competitors job much easier.

Scripps really wants talent on social media. How do you resolve the fact that the females take all kinds of abuse on facebook, twitter ect... How can that be right to insist they participate in that?

I'm guessing the females who work in television go in understanding that yeah you are always going to have critics, and creeps and perverts making sexual comments to you. This isn't a problem limited to just Scripps but virtually all local media companies. From what I've seen, some handle it better than others. Some will joke around with them and show they have a sense of humor, others will just engage in a conversation with these people to an extent regardless, and others just flat out ignore them. It just all depends on the person and how comfortable she feels with who she's dealing with.

And of course if they are bothered that much, they can always leave the industry. Social media is part of the reality in 2015 and it's here to stay.

The talks are continuing but the union is getting pretty small. Most people in KGTV don't "need" to be union. The shooter in the breaking news tracker is non union because there is no skill involved, and they are not part of the union. Some shooters and tech are union...but not that many.

You should take a look at the current contract, it's gutted and almost worthless.

KFMB Photographers and techs went on strike in 1976...dumped the union and they have nice shop to work in.

As you can guess Kimberley has got to be thinking about her contract (who wouldn't).

There is a copy of the current contract at www.10newsunfair.com

Then again, KFMB is locally owned so the owners invest more in the product since they're the only station they own.

I doubt Kimberly really needs the money. Sure, it's within her right to demand what she believes she deserves and is fair, but then again if she doesn't like it, she always has the nice fallback option of leaving altogether.

Now would be the time for KNSD to get their sh*t together and really invest in their product to make a run at the #2 spot when KGTV is at their most vulnerable. Unfortunately, you can tell that they're trying to cut expenses in preparation for their move to the new building. Hopefully, once that is done, they'll beef up the staff and invest in some equipment. They can start by getting rid of that broken mic flag that they keep showing on air... embarrassing to say the least.

Back to KGTV... Sucks for Pat Brown. Very nice lady and well liked in the market. Too bad she has gotten the short end of the stick twice. First with the NBC 2.0 cuts at KNSD, then with what happened recently at 10. Hopefully she'll land on her feet again. Haven't seen the weekend wx girl, but i'm not holding out any hope.

Sounds like Scripps & Gannett business model is all about the digital movement. Both companies have been about slashing budgets and getting rid of the icons or high price talent, but replaced them with mediocre talent. Both companies have taken over other media companies properties from mergers.

Clearly this is not the Scripps & Gannett from the 1990s, and hopefully the folks at the top should have some level head and clear thinking. Scripps seem to always have a hard on for ABC, and only have acquired some CBS affiliates. Gannett has always had a crush on NBC and it good to see some FOX and ABC affiliates in their fold.

I can say that I'm not impressed with either companies, both companies are starting to have the Sinclair effect. Meaning we buy up a slew of tv station recreate them with a cookie cutter look and bam there you have a local news presentation.

Out of the Scripps chain their no station that pops up and scream that market XYZ news is stellar. Sorry but Scripps' two legacy station WEWS & WXYZ have a stale newscast. KNXV & WFTS seem to actually have done well for themselves since 1994 switch. WCPO, WPTV seem to be blah and WMAR has been a bottom feeder. KJRH & KSHB might be the Brightside in the company. Scripps has acquired some good shops with WTVF, WTMJ (yeah they have their struggles) KMGH etc. However when they canceled Wheel/Jeopardy! for The List & Let Ask America the handwriting is on the wall for Scripps IMO.

Gannett has been cutting and slashing now TEGNA( sounds like a car that Toyota will unveil in 2017) they've just gone to the wolves. The poor former Belo Stations look has cheapened with Gannett's USA Today boxes. WFAA newscast looks like market 115 a stark contrast from 20 years ago. WWL has the highest ratings, but within the next two years wouldn't be surprise if FOX 8 or WDSU surpass them up in the ratings. It all paint by numbers, and wouldn't be surprise if both companies merge with another company to continue the madness.

Well as in ratings? It been #1 since forever. What exactly is your meaning of doing well? WPTV is like all the others in the chain with is Scripps' cookie cutter presentation.

Well as in ratings which translates to money. Personal feelings about the cookies are irrelavent.

You can be in #3 and still make money. For a product to make $$$ you want to enhance your look & presentation, and not let it look cheapened.

You just don't make as much in third as the guy in first and in business that sucks.