Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

I just found this story, which praises one of KNXV's biggest advertisers, Sanderson Ford (they sponsor the nightly sports segment on the station). Someone should have taught this guy some journalism ethics:

http://www.abc15.com/news/region-west-valley/glendale/sanderson-ford-receives-presidents-award-for-tenth-consecutive-year

I just found this story, which praises one of KNXV's biggest advertisers, Sanderson Ford (they sponsor the nightly sports segment on the station). Someone should have taught this guy some journalism ethics:

http://www.abc15.com/news/region-west-valley/glendale/sanderson-ford-receives-presidents-award-for-tenth-consecutive-year

Was this broadcast on TV or is this just a blurb on their website? Whatever the answer may be it definitely appears to be a conflict of interest. The article appears to be the type that you would read on Patch.com (is that still around?) or a free local newspaper. I guess they felt the need to promote this "award" given how much money the dealership spends on sponsored segments.

This makes me wonder what would they do if the dealership were involved in a scandal? They would definitely have to walk a fine line between exposing wrong doing and maintaining an advertiser. I assume their response would be proportional to the scandal and whether or not they could afford to lose the sponsor.

Not sure if it's been mentioned anywhere here but Let's Ask America is not returning next season:

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/syndication-and-distribution/scripps-lets-go-lets-ask-america/139088

Wonder what will replace it: more news? More RightThisMinute? Actual viable syndicated programming?

Not sure if it's been mentioned anywhere here but Let's Ask America is not returning next season:

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/syndication-and-distribution/scripps-lets-go-lets-ask-america/139088

Wonder what will replace it: more news? More RightThisMinute? Actual viable syndicated programming?

Hopefully more news on WPTV where it airs "Let's Ask America" after the noon news. And also hopefully more news at noon on WXYZ, so that they can put Right This Minute at 7:00 p.m. on WMYD 20.

I had mentioned it before it was "moved" to another thread about the "possibility" of The Now going on hiatus.

WXYZ revised its social media box today starting with the noon newscast:

Old:

http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/detroit/family-demands-answers-after-24-year-old-dies-during-detroit-police-traffic-stop

New:

http://www.wxyz.com/news/body-found-in-lincoln-park-pawnshop-police-investigating

They changed and slowed down the circle 7 animation, smoothed out the jerky web address fly-by (it shuddered and shook at the end), turned it from V1 Orange to their traditional blue and replaced "taking action for you" simply appearing with "TAKING ACTION" being spelled out one letter at a time. It looks better just for the fact it's blue if nothing else.

WXYZ announced their new team for "7 Action News This Morning" starting Monday:

Anchors: Malcolm Maddox (moving from fill-in / 10pm Anchor) and Alicia Smith

Breaking News: Jeff Vaughn (Moving from 5pm anchor, I suppose it gives a more solid presence for news and a fill-in anchor too)

Weather: Keenan Smith

Traffic: Ann Marie LaFlamme (Came as a reporter a couple weeks ago from WXMI Grand Rapids, supposedly "Traffic With A Twist" whatever that means).

Social Media / Around Town: Erin Nicole (Moving from Entertainment Reporter, this is a new feature for the show)

Reporters: Nima Shaffe and Jennifer Bisram

They are going to have different 5 and 10pm anchors starting Monday April 6 along with a new 6/10/11PM Sportscaster. Lots of changes happening.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/84241/wxyz-detroit-expands-morning-news-team

Supposedly some new promo's were shot for the morning show in New York with the GMA folks this week. They debuted this promo tying their 6pm and World News Tonight together. David Muir even has a few lines. Their set may be getting an overhaul soon too. When they zoom into the circle 7 logo they use the new all blue desk in Downtown Detroit rather than the 2011 main desk logo. I don't know if this says "Monday From 6-7PM" because something new is going to happen or what. I would have thought it would say "Weeknights from 6-7PM" or something.

Finally with the departure of WXYZ Sports Director Tom Leyden after 3 years in the job and 10 at the station, Brad Galli is the new evening Sports Anchor. No Sports Director titles have been given out for now.

The Now Detroit, 7 Action News At 5 and 7 Action News At 10 On TV20 Detroit will all be getting new anchor teams presumably on Monday as well.

Looks like Scripps intends to keep VizRT at the former Journal stations, as they are looking for people with Viz experience for the hub in Tampa.

I think they may be developing new lower thirds and other stuff as well.... maybe even more customized (but still template based) stuff. Both the senior developer posting and the graphic designer posting talks about "new lower thirds" and there's even a mention of 3D animations in there. Weren't the existing Scripps stations using Chyron Axis?

One would think they are either going to pick one or the other eventually, if that's the case is one product better than the other?

Looking at the former Journal graphics as of now they look much more newsy and functional than the vanilla faux CNN V2 Scripps graphics. They also look a bit dated. I'd like to see something a little flashier like that as a universal replacement eventually, albeit with less stacked tabs on the L3's. It's all Renderon there.

On April 20, The Now is going on another victim, I mean, station: WRTV. Just saw a promo for The Now and they're kind of promoting it as a regular newscast. Hopefully, Scripps is going to polish the turd by the time it's on RTV6

I'm not a huge fan of the Journal graphics, and I admit I'd be disappointed to see Scripps use them as a model for their next standardized graphics package, unless they did something to make the look a bit more appetizing to me. My dislike of them might be from the feeling that they replaced a lot of truly exemplary (also Renderon) stuff on the Journal stations and can't hold a candle to what they replaced.

Renderon does great custom stuff, but when they have to go generic they do that a little TOO well (though the 2012 Scripps graphics are alright and way better than

)

I'm not a huge fan of the Journal graphics, and I admit I'd be disappointed to see Scripps use them as a model for their next standardized graphics package, unless they did something to make the look a bit more appetizing to me. My dislike of them might be from the feeling that they replaced a lot of truly exemplary (also Renderon) stuff on the Journal stations and can't hold a candle to what they replaced.

Renderon does great custom stuff, but when they have to go generic they do that a little TOO well (though the 2012 Scripps graphics are alright and way better than

)

Renderon is responsible for the current Journal package too if I recall correctly in addition to the Scripps package.

So it's most likely that Renderon will be called again for the next generation of the Scripps package.

Renderon is responsible for the current Journal package too if I recall correctly in addition to the Scripps package.

So it's most likely that Renderon will be called again for the next generation of the Scripps package.

Renderon did Journal and Scripps V1 and V2. Renderon seems to have become the leading graphics company in the U.S. Of late.

WXYZ is now using the Inergy morning theme for at least part of the opens on The NOW Detroit. It's amazing what putting 2 extremely experienced anchors on this show does... It's actually.... Good.

Somebody permitted them to further cut the junk out of it as well.

WXYZ is now using the Inergy morning theme for at least part of the opens on The NOW Detroit. It's amazing what putting 2 extremely experienced anchors on this show does... It's actually.... Good.

Somebody permitted them to further cut the junk out of it as well.

But will it translate to better ratings? That is the ultimate question.

But will it translate to better ratings? That is the ultimate question.

I just saw the new version of their open which I will post in a few hours and it says "You're watching 7 Action News, always taking action for you" as the vo with the Action News logo plastered on it and only a quick flash of "The Now". They are suddenly doing everything they can to backpedal and link it directly to the news brand. It seems like a good idea since that's what it's always been anyway.

That should get it above the 2.8 it's been stuck at since it debuted.

Here is the new open for The NOW Detroit:

This is awful. I know not to expect much from Scripps but what happened to quality control? The plastering of their logo on the open looks cheap and out of place. This mismatched VO with the Now logo just feels stupid. And while the Inergy morning cut is probably my favorite out of that entire package, it doesn't fit the show, Now's general format or the open AT ALL.

I mean it does seem straight news but I still couldn't watch this. With them standing in their dated looking newsroom with fast moving camera shots and too much clutter on the screen. I just hope they realize The Now is dumb and pull the plug on it. If it was really "7 Action News at 4" then I could watch it. But with this format, no. I'm sure the viewers feel the same way. Sorry that you, the WXYZ employees and their viewers are stuck with Scripps as an owner.

Here is the new open for The NOW Detroit:

Wow. WXYZ really wants to scrap the "Now" brand and format.

I betcha that, in a few weeks, it will be quietly renamed "7 Action News at 4." Maybe it happens in the next week, what with the ramp-up of May sweeps.

I betcha that, in a few weeks, it will be quietly renamed "7 Action News at 4." Maybe it happens in the next week, what with the ramp-up of May sweeps.

With the standard WXYZ graphics and everything. Then The NOW will be history, at least in Detroit. And then the start of the end of the ill-fated show.

This is awful. I know not to expect much from Scripps but what happened to quality control? The plastering of their logo on the open looks cheap and out of place. This mismatched VO with the Now logo just feels stupid. And while the Inergy morning cut is probably my favorite out of that entire package, it doesn't fit the show, Now's general format or the open AT ALL.

I mean it does seem straight news but I still couldn't watch this. With them standing in their dated looking newsroom with fast moving camera shots and too much clutter on the screen. I just hope they realize The Now is dumb and pull the plug on it. If it was really "7 Action News at 4" then I could watch it. But with this format, no. I'm sure the viewers feel the same way. Sorry that you, the WXYZ employees and their viewers are stuck with Scripps as an owner.

We all are too... That newsroom is from 2011 or something... The paint is from 11 I think. It was a marbleish colored gray pattern color before. Two of the last 3 nights we've had 2 reporters and one microwave truck. You might be asking "gee, what ever did they do?"

The answer:

Reporter with ear buds on and phone near face using FaceTime or a broadcast equivalent and heard in the background of the shot was somebody saying "I hope this works!" which it didn't... The audio worked perfectly but both times the picture was frozen and the second time the reporter couldn't hear the anchors and his camera was frozen right off the top so they dumped directly into the story. It worked at the end of his piece sorta. Not a good way to lead your 11pm show. People like technology but it's not like they love it so much they want things to fail like that.

I'll put the shot of the old newsroom and the really strange report with FaceTime up in a bit.