Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

WXYZ changed it's Sunday morning lineup this past Sunday to reflect the end of the NFL season and added moved another half-hour of news.

Their old lineup was:

6am 7 Action News This Morning

7am GMA Weekend

8am-930am 7 Action News Weekend Morning

930-10am This Week

10-1030am Spotlight On The News (Public Affairs)

1030-11am 7 Sports Cave

11am-noon Lions Game Day Live

New lineup is:

7am GMA Weekend

8am-9am 7 Action News Weekend Morning

9-10am This Week

10-1030am Spotlight On The News

1030-11am 7 Action News Weekend Morning

11-1130am 7 Sports Cave

Kind of an interesting place to put a 30 minute newscast.

• 2 weeks later...

Some Changes to WXYZ/WMYD's daytime lineup effective Feb. 2:

Currently:

WXYZ 10am = Dr. Oz (Moved here in September 2014 to make room for The Now, replaced The Doctors at 10am)

WXYZ 3pm = Meredith (Replaced Katie)

WMYD 4pm = The Doctors

Starting 2/2:

WXYZ 10am = The Doctors

WXYZ 3pm = Dr. Oz

WMYD 4pm = Meredith

http://www.wxyz.com/news/dr-oz-the-doctors-the-meredith-viera-show-trading-timeslots

I didn't realize Meredith was doing that bad...

WXYZ changed it's Sunday morning lineup this past Sunday to reflect the end of the NFL season and added moved another half-hour of news.

Their old lineup was:

7am GMA Weekend

930-10am This Week

1030-11am 7 Sports Cave

New lineup is:

7am GMA Weekend

9-10am This Week

11-1130am 7 Sports Cave

WJW has a 30 minute newscast at 11am on Sundays. Obviously because of the NFL on Fox, it can't run at noon.

Their old lineup was:

7am GMA Weekend

930-10am This Week

1030-11am 7 Sports Cave

New lineup is:

7am GMA Weekend

9-10am This Week

11-1130am 7 Sports Cave

They only offer 30 minutes of ABC This Week?

They did during the NFL season... Now it's back to an hour if you look at the second part of my post.

I meant to does ABC offered This Week as a 30 minute program? I didn't think the show was like Face The Nation. Or is this a special case.

I meant to does ABC offered This Week as a 30 minute program? I didn't think the show was like Face The Nation. Or is this a special case.

That I'm not sure about, maybe it's an option or can be specially requested that way? I know that prior to the "7 Sports Cave" existing they ran their news till 930 and public affairs till 10 then This Week for an hour, then their Lions Pregame Show.

When they cancelled their Sunday Sports Update from 11-1130pm they added a half hour of news 1130pm-12am and created the sports cave and put it on from 11am-12pm with everything else staying the same. The 2014 NFL season is when this 30-minute version of This Week appeared.

• 2 weeks later...

That the local segments of 'The List' are being canceled, making the show an entirely national production with everything coming out of Phoenix. Other rumblings say the the whole program is being canned, but Scripps denies any notion.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/scripps-eliminating-local-segment-on-the-list/141361

That the local segments of 'The List' are being canceled, making the show an entirely national production with everything coming out of Phoenix. Other rumblings say the the whole program is being canned, but Scripps denies any notion.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/scripps-eliminating-local-segment-on-the-list/141361

Maybe they'll start making changes to The NOW next...such as cancelling it.

Maybe they'll start making changes to The NOW next...such as cancelling it.

I would like to see our version of The Now become "7 Action News At 4". All they would have to do is strip the current show of the name and the 1 or 2 minutes of national content it has. The ratings for it are upper 2's and lower 3's.

Well, there goes Jimmy Rhodes and 2 or 3 staffers they hired at WXYZ in August for The List. If the list goes entirely then moving ET from WMYD's 730 spot would work. It may be at 730 for that reason... It'd be Easy to put it right back where it was for 23 years on WXYZ at 730 were LAA and later The List to get axed.

Anybody else think Scripps will eventually scale back it's national syndication delusions of grandeur?

Funny and sad that WKBW has links for both "The List" and "LAA" at the bottom of their website, yet it's likely that "The List" will never air on KB.

And WKBW will have a void in the 4pm hour once Queen Latifah's show leaves the air, IIRC, in June.

Funny and sad that WKBW has links for both "The List" and "LAA" at the bottom of their website, yet it's likely that "The List" will never air on KB.

And WKBW will have a void in the 4pm hour once Queen Latifah's show leaves the air, IIRC, in June.

The Now Buffalo anybody?

That's what I was thinking.

Normally, Scripps has brought on new talent to anchor 'The Now...' but KB's sports director Jeff Russo recently made the switch to news, and now handles the 5:30pm news solo.

Here they didn't do that but one of our kid sports reporters moved to news to anchor it. The other was a weekend anchor for the better part of a decade before getting The Now and the 10pm.

530pm seems an odd time for a solo newscast...

If anybody knows:

How much national originated content are the other Nows carrying? As I said ours is maybe 1 segment about 445, usually under 2 minutes, the rest is local and other than the hand-held newsroom camera and "We are Live ______ The Now Detroit" it's essentially a regular newscast. So regular that it makes me cringe that they don't just use the regular news branding... It's not even believable that The Now is a brand or that it isn't a newscast.

Here they didn't do that but one of our kid sports reporters moved to news to anchor it. The other was a weekend anchor for the better part of a decade before getting The Now and the 10pm.

530pm seems an odd time for a solo newscast...

If anybody knows:

How much national originated content are the other Nows carrying? As I said ours is maybe 1 segment about 445, usually under 2 minutes, the rest is local and other than the hand-held newsroom camera and "We are Live ______ The Now Detroit" it's essentially a regular newscast. So regular that it makes me cringe that they don't just use the regular news branding... It's not even believable that The Now is a brand or that it isn't a newscast.

What makes it so bad is the fact that they have a hand-held camera that's apparently mandated to be constantly moving and have weird, dizzying camera shots, and half of what the Now airs, at least here in KC, is a bunch of irrelevant fluff that normally wouldn't ever make the news. The national segments seem forced and, again, focus on topics that aren't important to viewers (such as secrets about the latest iPad!). I also don't think that the national segments host (forget her name) isn't good enough to be doing something on the national level. It's not serious and it was never meant to be a serious newscast. They meant for it to be lighter and to be more social than a traditional newscast and, at least here in KC, it's failed miserably.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the new open to "7 Action News At Noon" and some idea of what their new Downtown Glass Studio looks like:

They will originate the Noon news and do interviews on the other newscasts with newsmakers. I assume for big events the main anchors will go down there though that desk is tiny.

They are also using this bumper promo during the Noon news to promote that they are doing it downtown:

If any of that is true...

Their web offerings are horrible though... I think they should just stick to running TV stations... as it is their financial results are continuously lagging the rest of the industry because they keep going off on these misadventures trying to identify things they think are the future but have no way of really knowing much about. If they were smart they would be slower to change and let some other company take a big leap.

Layoffs at Scripps today:

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/vp-responds-to-layoff-rumors-at-scripps/142827

I get the feeling it's a sinking ship... I was reading last night that one of Journals largest shareholders (19 percent) is voting no or abstaining altogether because there will be no Journal representation on Scripps board. The deal will probably go through anyway but that's a major chunk of Journal stock to sit out the vote...

I saw that yesterday. I really hope Scripps doesn't mess KMGH up too much.

Also that 19 percent shareholder in Journal is none other than Mario Gabelli, who also holds interests in Sinclair (he was the one who pushed Fisher, in which he was a major shareholder, to sell to them) and Media General.

I saw that yesterday. I really hope Scripps doesn't mess KMGH up too much.

Also that 19 percent shareholder in Journal is none other than Mario Gabelli, who also holds interests in Sinclair (he was the one who pushed Fisher, in which he was a major shareholder, to sell to them) and Media General.

IIRC his interest in MG came via the Young merger.