Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

I figured I'd create a Scripps thread rather than keep sticking stuff in the old threads since it's got less and less to do with them as we move away from the Granite purchase etc.

This thread is for rational general discussion about Scripps. Please try not to rant.

Remember that you're encouraged to create a new thread for "big" events (i.e. Scripps purchasing another station group).

I'm gonna start this out by saying that Today (8/4) WXYZ is going to begin airing it's 2 hour morning show, 7-9am on WMYD with "a side of Action News you haven't seen before". What that basically means is that the 8am hour is going to be lighter. They are also promoting how it'll be live and local. Same talent as the 430-7 block on WXYZ: Vic Faust, Alicia Smith, Keenan Smith and Rachel McCrary for 4 and a half hours straight now.

KGTV is running new promos touting its new fall lineup. Here is the afternoon schedule from 3-8pm...

3:00- Let's Ask America

3:30- Right This Minute

4:00- Right This Minute

4:30- Inside Edition

5:00- 10 News

6:00- 10 News

6:30- ABC World News

7:00- 10 News

7:30- The List

So KGTV is adding Let's Ask America full time and The List. Inside Edition is being moved to lead into the 5pm news. They should have done a newscast at 4pm to compete with KNSD, instead of having another run of RTM.

Haven't seen this on air yet at KGTV, but there is a video on Youtube showing a graphic where they plug their website and a sponsor. What's interesting and neat is the Scripps lighthouse animation in the left hand side of the L3. Also the cut of music is really nice...

[yt]Z_65LiZ2DkE[/yt]

That's a slower version of the main Inergy close and signature:

It's a version I haven't heard yet. It seems few if any of the stations actually picked up and used the theme and signature, WEWS I know did. WXYZ uses the open/close theme but not the signature.

That's a slower version of the main Inergy close and signature:

It's a version I haven't heard yet. It seems few if any of the stations actually picked up and used the theme and signature, WEWS I know did. WXYZ uses the open/close theme but not the signature.

That was a nice close aside from that obvious and awkward cut at around :48

That was a nice close aside from that obvious and awkward cut at around :48

That obvious and awkward cut is where the signature should start, they looped the track instead and this was the result. I have to believe there is a better way to get the same tune to continue if that's what they really wanted. That has always sounded extremely clumsy to me.

WXYZ just changed out (maybe got rid of?) it's weather transition graphics:

Old:

New:

Not sure why this change occured but it's been like this all day but the old one was used last night.

KSHB has these cool personalized ones. If I had a tuner then I would show you all...

Speaking of KSHB, they're building a new set. Construction started on Saturday and the old thing is already gone. I gots a thread goin in the Sets and Studio forum about it.

Here's a question; how is KERO doing? We never hear anything about them and the last time I heard anything about them was when they got their new set a while back ago.

Haven't seen this on air yet at KGTV, but there is a video on Youtube showing a graphic where they plug their website and a sponsor. What's interesting and neat is the Scripps lighthouse animation in the left hand side of the L3. Also the cut of music is really nice...

[yt]Z_65LiZ2DkE[/yt]

Thanks for the post. I've been looking for someone to remove this volcano on my front lawn.

I guess the new MC hub has a few bugs:

They ran this on Sunday (2 days ago), the game isn't until Friday. It aired at 10pm no less...

Complete with the old Jags logo.

Then better call XYZ, San Diego's Sponsor! LOL.

Fake for sure. Wonder how David Kaye felt about having to voice that.

The Now is coming to KNXV. Former KTVK reporter Yetta Gibson is the host.

WEWS just posted a promo for "The Now Cleveland," which unsurprisingly has it's own dedicated YouTube channel.

[yt]PE1agocDwlo[/yt]

Just as I suspected....as I posted in the other thread about WXYZ's version, this version is much more refined, using better (and the intended) fonts, and took it a step further by adding the Cleveland shots to it. This would have to be some kind of template that's being circulated to the stations, and its up to the individual creative service departments to localize it.

Just as I suspected....as I posted in the other thread about WXYZ's version, this version is much more refined, using better (and the intended) fonts, and took it a step further by adding the Cleveland shots to it. This would have to be some kind of template that's being circulated to the stations, and its up to the individual creative service departments to localize it.

All the shots in the WXYZ version were Detroit so in that way they were the same, the VO here is awful but at least the letters fit and look right.

See if you can spot the typos in this ticker:

This is from Sunday Night - Monday morning as midnight struck. The 11pm News just finished and apparently the X-Games was supposed to start. It was exactly 12:00am when this went on, note the clock is 3 minutes slow at first.

According to the schedules, here's KMGH's lineup starting Sept 8:

4:30 7News Now

7:00 GMA

9:00 Meredith Vieira

10:00 The View

11:00 7News at 11

11:30 Right This Minute

12:00 The Chew

1:00 General Hospital

2:00 Let's Ask America

2:30 Inside Edition

3:00 Dr Oz

4:00 The Now

5:00 7News at 5

5:30 World News

6:00 7News Right Now (It's unknown what difference the 'Right Now' will have on the news :rolleyes: )

6:30 The List

So 7News at 11 is shortened to 30 minutes to make room for Right This Minute, and Jeopardy and Wheel move to KDVR at the same times to make for the return of 6pm news and the debut of The List. (I'm not sure where Millionaire is going, but I would guess KTVD.) Seems like a pretty dumb strategy to me. I guess I can understand why they would cut back on the midday show, as it had to be one of the fluffiest hours of Denver television and always had been, but it's still a shame to see a reduction in local programming in favor of national stuff. Now that I've had a chance to watch The Now a few times, it seems like a pretty silly attempt to make things trendy and put on all that "take a look at this video that's gone viral online" junk. It's nothing like KMGH's 4pm news of a few years ago, which was one of the better hard newscasts in recent memory. I don't know what The List is all about, but looking at their website, it looks dumb too. Maybe the 6pm news will do well, but I doubt this lineup will pull greater numbers than what Jeopardy and Wheel do. I'm really not sold on this Scripps strategy.

According to the schedules, here's KMGH's lineup starting Sept 8:

4:30 7News Now

7:00 GMA

9:00 Meredith Vieira

10:00 The View

11:00 7News at 11

11:30 Right This Minute

12:00 The Chew

1:00 General Hospital

2:00 Let's Ask America

2:30 Inside Edition

3:00 Dr Oz

4:00 The Now

5:00 7News at 5

5:30 World News

6:00 7News Right Now (It's unknown what difference the 'Right Now' will have on the news :rolleyes: )

6:30 The List

So 7News at 11 is shortened to 30 minutes to make room for Right This Minute, and Jeopardy and Wheel move to KDVR at the same times to make for the return of 6pm news and the debut of The List. (I'm not sure where Millionaire is going, but I would guess KTVD.) Seems like a pretty dumb strategy to me. I guess I can understand why they would cut back on the midday show, as it had to be one of the fluffiest hours of Denver television and always had been, but it's still a shame to see a reduction in local programming in favor of national stuff. Now that I've had a chance to watch The Now a few times, it seems like a pretty silly attempt to make things trendy and put on all that "take a look at this video that's gone viral online" junk. It's nothing like KMGH's 4pm news of a few years ago, which was one of the better hard newscasts in recent memory. I don't know what The List is all about, but looking at their website, it looks dumb too. Maybe the 6pm news will do well, but I doubt this lineup will pull greater numbers than what Jeopardy and Wheel do. I'm really not sold on this Scripps strategy.

Nobody is sold on this Scripps strategy so don't feel alone. The List is basically a list of "take a look at this video thats gone viral online and other meaningless stuff we could list".

Nobody is sold on this Scripps strategy so don't feel alone. The List is basically a list of "take a look at this video thats gone viral online and other meaningless stuff we could list".

But how are The List, Right This Minute and maybe The Now any different from each other? I still can't believe that there are so many viral video out there to drive two and a half hours a day of original programming. But Scripps clearly wants to go the cheap route by using videos posted to YouTube by claiming fair use.

But how are The List, Right This Minute and maybe The Now any different from each other? I still can't believe that there are so many viral video out there to drive two and a half hours a day of original programming. But Scripps clearly wants to go the cheap route by using videos posted to YouTube by claiming fair use.

I would expect Scripps, by adding more stations to the group, will be able to share feature stories from their stations more easily on these platforms. But I haven't seen evidence of it yet. List, RTM and to a lesser extent Now are just repackaged versions of Inside Edition and similar shows, without the syndication cost. Take videos from CNN and YouTube, some fluff stories from Gawker or HuffPost, call it a show.

• 2 weeks later...

WXYZ has it's new Sunday morning lineup beginning 9/7:

9am: This Week (Formerly 10am)

10am: Spotlight On The News (Local public affairs program, formerly 930am)

1030am: 7 Sports Cave (College Football focus, formerly 11am-12pm, began 8/31)

11am: Lions Game Day Live (Seasonal, formerly "Ford Lions Report Live")

12pm: State Champs! Extra Point (High School Football show produced by the State Champs Network)

WMYD will air Lions Postgame Live (new show) immediately following Lions games (should be the 4pm hour almost always) beginning 9/14, it will also air on detroitlions.com.

Also starting 9/8:

WMYD is going to air The Doctors at 4pm weekdays and Lets Ask America at 7pm weekdays. The trash talkers are untouched and the 700 Club has slid up from 7am to 9am to make room for the 2 hour news block they recently started.

Starting Sept. 8 the new weekday lineup will be:

430am 7 Action News This Morning

7am GMA

9am Live With Kelly And Michael

10am Dr. Oz (New Time)

11am The View

12pm 7 Action News At Noon

1230pm Right This Minute

1pm The Chew

2pm General Hospital

3pm Meridith Vieira (New Show)

4pm The Now Detroit (New Show)

5pm 7 Action News At 5pm

6pm 7 Action News At 6pm

630pm WNT

7pm 7 Action News At 7

730pm The List (New Show)

Oz Moved from 4pm to 10am, The Now replaces Oz, The List is replacing Lets Ask America and Vieira is replacing Katie.