SHOCKER: Scripps and Journal to merge

Glimmer

Does anybody know how long it will be after that for the merger to be official or does shareholder approval cause it to immediately happen?

The article says it's expected to close within 30 days of the shareholder vote.

"There will be an official close date, which we expect will be 30 days or less from the vote date of March 11," Micheli said via email. "We have not yet set that (closing) date but will announce it ahead of the deal."

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

still a ways off from the shareholders meeting but i'm hearing boxes of "stuff" from scripps hq have begun showing up at journal stations and at least one station has told staff they will be installing grass valley ignite this summer.

scripps sure doesn't waste time

still a ways off from the shareholders meeting but i'm hearing boxes of "stuff" from scripps hq have begun showing up at journal stations and at least one station has told staff they will be installing grass valley ignite this summer.

Now we'll see if they put the Scripps V2 graphics to use or not.

Hard to say, but "boxes of 'stuff' from scripps" could be something as basic as stuff for HR - new employee manuals, benefits documentation, etc., so they're ready on day one to have staff meetings and hand out the new materials to the employees.

The Grass Valley Ignite thing is possibly (likely, IMO) something that was already in the works for the station, separate from anything Scripps is doing.

I think, much like with Tribune, it'll be a little bit before we see any substantial changes to any of the Journal stations. They may add the Scripps lighthouse logo/trademark in place of the Journal Communications tower logo/trademark, but that's about it.

Now we'll see if they put the Scripps V2 graphics to use or not.

I doubt it. The current graphics are nearly 2.5 years old. They replaced V1 after only two years. I would imagine that they would want all of their Journal and existing Scripps stations to have the same look. It would take a while to roll out the current graphics to the current stations, and they'd probably be inclined to keep those around for a couple more years too.

Long story short, I think they would develop a new package that would age uniformly rather than have some of their stations have the current package for 4, 5 years.

I doubt it. The current graphics are nearly 2.5 years old. They replaced V1 after only two years. I would imagine that they would want all of their Journal and existing Scripps stations to have the same look. It would take a while to roll out the current graphics to the current stations, and they'd probably be inclined to keep those around for a couple more years too.

Long story short, I think they would develop a new package that would age uniformly rather than have some of their stations have the current package for 4, 5 years.

I'm also thinking that the next graphics will feature much more customization. The first sign was the promo graphics they rolled out in October which use customs backdrops for each of the stations (Detroit's use the city's riverfront). The big bulky L3's are also customizable by the individual stations as well.

Couple examples:

Oscars:

Veterans:

If either of these looks were used elsewhere then maybe their hub is just getting better. Have you seen anything like this in KC?

I believe one reason v1 was retired so quickly had to do with it being done in 720p and that it had to be upconverted at Scripp's NBC stations. They had a chance to fix that with the McGraw Hill stations and took it.

I could see them updating the current package slightly, but not replacing it.

I believe one reason v1 was retired so quickly had to do with it being done in 720p and that it had to be upconverted at Scripp's NBC stations. They had a chance to fix that with the McGraw Hill stations and took it. I could see them updating the current package slightly, but not replacing it.

It'll be interesting to see what they do. Even before the change from V1 to V2 Scripps had a history of changing the looks on it's stations regularly. For example: from 1996-2009 WXYZ went through 8 different looks, getting a new look every time the set was refreshed and in a couple instances just on their own.

So:

2009 (Updated 2008 look)

2009 V1

2012 V2

So in the last 20 years they never let it go longer than 3 years without getting touched in some way other than the 2001 package which seems to be more an exception than the rule. I think the real question is what their new found hubbing frugality has done to that philosophy. They put out those promo graphics in October (I know the larger market stations got them, not sure if the whole group did or not) which are rather different than the V2 stuff. The fact that they made them might show that they are still into refreshing their looks regularly.

Was
V1? I seem to remember them being in use since 2009 ~ 2012.
I believe one reason v1 was retired so quickly had to do with it being done in 720p and that it had to be upconverted at Scripp's NBC stations. They had a chance to fix that with the McGraw Hill stations and took it.

I could see them updating the current package slightly, but not replacing it.

It's hard to believe that the last package looked so much better on WMAR than the current one. Then again the package looked like crap before they went HD.

V1 was the Copper/orange. V2 is the current model.

The first was rolled out in 2009 (we got ours 11/30/09) and V2 in 2012 (we got ours 9/12/12). I think it's all about how you implement it too... You could take a junk package and try your best to make it look good and have it work out ok or you can have a great package and find a way to butcher it.

Umm..I know journal owns WSYM TV FOX 47, but since they decided to mothball their news department and outsource it to Gray's WILX , a question comes into mind, would SCRIPPS continue with the News Sharing deal or would SCRIPPS end the deal and build a news department up from scratch (like KSHB TV )

To add to the question, if SCRIPPS stayed with the deal to let GRAY continue to Produce the FOX 47 NEWS from WILX studios , would they (WILX) have to take the scripps package for WSYM , or keep WSYM with the Gray package from promos to news open ??

Umm..I know journal owns WSYM TV FOX 47, but since they decided to mothball their news department and outsource it to Gray's WILX , a question comes into mind, would SCRIPPS continue with the News Sharing deal or would SCRIPPS end the deal and build a news department up from scratch (like KSHB TV )

To add to the question, if SCRIPPS stayed with the deal to let GRAY continue to Produce the FOX 47 NEWS from WILX studios , would they (WILX) have to take the scripps package for WSYM , or keep WSYM with the Gray package from promos to news open ??

I would think they would continue the current arrangement. Unless WSYM tries for the ABC affiliation at the next opportunity?

If either of these looks were used elsewhere then maybe their hub is just getting better. Have you seen anything like this in KC?

Yes, they're used all the time, though whenever I see it it's promoting the morning show.

I believe one reason v1 was retired so quickly had to do with it being done in 720p and that it had to be upconverted at Scripp's NBC stations. They had a chance to fix that with the McGraw Hill stations and took it. I could see them updating the current package slightly, but not replacing it.

Gosh, I couldn't imagine looking at those graphics for any longer than 3 years. I found myself tuning into another station just because I couldn't look at KSHB for that long without getting annoyed. Slightly claustrophobic too. All things considered, V2 still doesn't look bad and hasn't aged poorly as quickly as V1 did.

Was

V1? I seem to remember them being in use since 2009 ~ 2012.

It's hard to believe that the last package looked so much better on WMAR than the current one. Then again the package looked like crap before they went HD.

Yes again, those horrendous abominations were V1. Not Renderon's best work, and weirdly enough, the initial concept design video looked better than what was actually used. Additionally, V1 probably looked better on WMAR than V2 currently does because their yellow logo actually fit the color scheme of copper, brown, and gold. For stations like WXYZ, WPTV, and WEWS that have blue logos, it looked really, really bad.

WKBW does not use the new promo graphics.

WKBW is kinda off there doing it's own thing. The only real standardization they've had is with the graphics and music.

#1) A good chance that Scripps can build another news department from scratch for WSYM. After all, this is Scripps. But then again, look at WPTV-WFLX.

#2) WSYM would switch to Scripps graphics, just like how WFLX has Raycom graphics because of ownership from Racyom, even though its operated by WPTV and Scripps.

And the ice desk... But the open kind of sucks. Was it WCNC who did the ice desk before?

Most of the Gannett NBC affiliates did it. If I'm not mistaken WSYX did it as well.

I would think they would continue the current arrangement. Unless WSYM tries for the ABC affiliation at the next opportunity?

I wouldn't be surprised. The ABC affiliates in the markets where Scripps will have standalone Fox affiliates both are in sharing arrangements with another station. The LMA between WZVN and WBBH is grandfathered, while the SSA and JSA between WLAJ and WLNS is not AFAIK.

It's also worth noting that WSYM operates Venture Technologies Group's WHTV, which was previously operated by WLNS. Not sure how that plays into this discussion but it could be interesting.

It appears that the modified promo graphics I linked to for the Oscars and the Veterans "Scripps National Investigation" are coming from the hub. This would seem to indicate that their hub is getting better at spitting out more than just a graphics package every few years.

That kind of flexibility is a good sign I would think.

WKBW is kinda off there doing it's own thing. The only real standardization they've had is with the graphics and music.

It's sort of out of necessity, given how badly WKBW was treated under Granite. Scripps is pouring money into an entirely new newsroom for the station (it should be completed by any day now) and a new news set can't be far behind.

WKBW still has to move their master control hub over to WRTV AND build a new backup master control back at Broadcast Plaza. Unless that move already happened, KB is still being run out of an unrelated company in Georgia... the name escapes me...

KGTV has been using the new promo graphics for their Team 10 investigative promo for the 6pm news. It seems like these new promo graphics are relying more on timelapse/live action footage, I wonder if they plan on tweaking the opens sometime soon. While on the subject, does anyone know if they tweaked the fullscreen graphic? It looks different-- more colorful than I remember.

It's sort of out of necessity, given how badly WKBW was treated under Granite. Scripps is pouring money into an entirely new newsroom for the station (it should be completed by any day now) and a new news set can't be far behind.

WKBW still has to move their master control hub over to WRTV AND build a new backup master control back at Broadcast Plaza. Unless that move already happened, KB is still being run out of an unrelated company in Georgia... the name escapes me...

Encompass Digital Media.

KGTV has been using the new promo graphics for their Team 10 investigative promo for the 6pm news. It seems like these new promo graphics are relying more on timelapse/live action footage, I wonder if they plan on tweaking the opens sometime soon. While on the subject, does anyone know if they tweaked the fullscreen graphic? It looks different-- more colorful than I remember.

Which graphic do you mean? Where they list things and summarize plans or events during the newscast?

The silver band at the top was brightened and the font was changed so that the blue is darker. I think other than that it's the same. They might have brightened it a bit. It makes it look cleaner and more compact.

Which graphic do you mean? Where they list things and summarize plans or events during the newscast?

The silver band at the top was brightened and the font was changed so that the blue is darker. I think other than that it's the same. They might have brightened it a bit. It makes it look cleaner and more compact.

I'll see if I can get a screengrab, but usually KGTV uses it with bulleted points and it has a box for an image or video.

Archived