SHOCKER: Scripps and Journal to merge

Glimmer

Omaha TV DMA stations present and future owners and parents since 2009:

3 KMTV = Journal > Scripps

6 WOWT = Gray

7 KETV = Hearst

15 KXVO Mitts under Pappas > Mitts under Titan > Mitts under Sinclair

42 KPTM Pappas > Titan > Sinclair

Close by neighboring Lincoln-Grand Island-Hastings-Kearney TV DMA stations owner and parents since 2009:

4 KSNB as Fox 4 & 17 = Collins under Pappas and went dark under Pappas in 2009 > Gray sign the station back on the air in 2013 as 10/11 Central Nebraska with My Network and ME TV programming and becoming the NBC affiliate being rebranded as NBC Nebraska on DT1 with 10/11 Central Nebraska on DT2 in 2014

5 KHAS = Hoak > shutdown by Gray and holded into KSNB by Gray with KSNB becoming the NBC affiliate being rebranded as NBC Nebraska in 2014 > Legacy as KNHL

8 KLKN = Citadel

10 KOLN/11 KGIN as 10/11 = Gray

13 KHGI/6 KWNB as NTV = Pappas

17 KTVG as Fox 4 & 17 = Hill under Pappas and went dark under Pappas in 2010

51 KCWL becoming KFXL as KFXL Fox Nebraska > Lincoln Broadcasting under Pappas > Stanley Trapp/KFXL Television under Pappas > Pappas and also on 13 KHGI/6 KWNB DT2 digital multicast subchannel

Close by neighboring Sioux City stations owner and parents since 2009:

4 KTIV = Quincy

9 KCAU = Citadel > Nexstar

14 KMEG = Waitt under Pappas > Waitt under Titan > Waitt under Sinclair

44 KPTH = Pappas > Titan > Sinclair

Neighboring Des Moines stations owner and parents since 2007:

5 WOI = Citadel > Nexstar

8 KCCI = Hearst

13 WHO = New York Times > Local TV LLC > Tribune

17 KDSM = Sinclair

23 KPWB is now KCWI = Pappas > Nexstar has a deal to acquire KCWI from Pappas to form a new duopoly with WOI to break up it's current duopoly partner KDMI

56 = 19 KDMI = Pappas

Neighboring Topeka stations owner and parents since 2007:

13 WIBW = Gray

27 KSNT = Montecito > New Vision > Lin Media > Media General

49 KTKA = Free State > PBC Broadcasting under New Vision > PBC Broadcasting under Lin Media > PBC Broadcasting under Media General

Neighboring Saint Joseph has no change with KQTV continuing to be owned by Nexstar

Quad Cities TV DMA stations owner and parents since 2007:

4 WHBF = Citadel > Nexstar

6 KWQC = Young > Media General

8 WQAD = New York Times > Local TV LLC > Tribune

18 KLJB = Grant > Marshall under Nexstar

26 KGCW = Grant > Nexstar

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The final hurdle the deal has to go through is a SEC approval.

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1232241/000110465914087089/a14-20188_5425.htm

Good afternoon, everyone,

Late last week, the Federal Communications Commission approved the applications of Journal Communications and The E.W. Scripps Company authorizing a transfer of control of Journal’s TV and radio station licenses to Scripps upon the closing of the transaction, which is expected in the first half of 2015.

As we said upon announcing the transaction, one of the benefits of working with Scripps was that we did not foresee any issues under the FCC’s rules because Journal and Scripps, for the most part, operate in different markets.

On Friday, we closed on the sale of one of our Wichita stations, KFTI-FM (92.3), to comply with FCC ownership limits there. The “classic country” format that was heard on 92.3 has moved to AM 1070, which now has the KFTI call letters. 92.3 was sold to an affiliate of Envision, Inc., a not-for-profit organization that promotes nationwide advocacy for those who are blind or visually impaired. The organization plans to use the station to broadcast blind and visually impaired programming, as well as support to other not-for-profit organizations in the region. We are very pleased that we found a new owner that will use the station for the benefit of the entire Wichita community.

We are also required to divest one of our television stations in Boise prior to the closing of the transaction with Scripps. The FCC approved our plan to transfer one of our Boise TV stations to a divestiture trust at the closing with Scripps in the event that the station has not been sold by then.

FCC approval was one of the major milestones in this transaction, but there are certainly more to come. Last month, Scripps filed an S-4 registration statement with the SEC, which included a preliminary joint proxy statement of Journal and Scripps. This filing also included detailed financial information, descriptions of the separate publishing and broadcasting businesses that will result from the transactions, and information about the share exchange in which shares of Journal Communications stock will be exchanged for shares of Scripps and Journal Media Group stock. After this document obtains SEC clearance, we’ll begin the process for holding the shareholder vote. We will provide you with more information about the voting process at a later date.

So it sounds like once the S-4 is approved, they'll schedule a special shareholder meeting.

Sounds like another subchannel shuffle! Once this deal closes, Scripps would move KNIN's FOX programming to a KIVI subchannel.

KIVI (RF 24): 6.1 ABC (720p HD), 6.2 FOX (720p HD), 6.3 Heartland (480i SD), 6.4 Untamed Sports (480i SD)

KNIN (RF 10): 9.1 ????

LiveWell Network: N/A (was on 9.2)

6.2 would still be called FOX 9 based on its cable channel.

Not 100% sold on that theory. One market I can think of that would probably be a fit if either company looks to add to their portfolio piece-by-piece is Raleigh-Durham, where you can probably make the case that the most likely station that's up for grabs is WTVD if/when ABC finally decides to sell (WNCN and Media General look to be a more stable situation, and Capitol Broadcasting isn't selling WRAL, which is a cash cow). In my opinion, WTVD probably fit the Scripps bill of more mid-range, growing markets.

Outside of that, I'm drawing a blank on what would be a good situation for either company. Graham has been brought up, but Gannett would be out for obvious reasons; you may be able to make the case for Scripps (minus WDIV) if they're interested in adding to their Florida portfolio and making inroads in Texas. Maybe Dispatch if the Wolfe family decides to cash out on their TV properties and focus solely on newspapers?

I don't see any more huge mergers for Scripps anytime soon. The family still has a controlling interest and still makes the decisions and they wouldn't want to dilute that beyond what the Journal merger has already. They also don't have the cash on hand or the willingness to add a sufficient enough debt load to make a huge individual move.

They might go shopping for bargains, like trying to grab the Knoxville duopoly from Lockwood (a growing market they have had historic ties to through the News Sentinel and the Scripps Network Interactive headquarters) trying build the portfolio, but I don't see them dropping hundreds of millions on station after station.

I don't see any more huge mergers for Scripps anytime soon. The family still has a controlling interest and still makes the decisions and they wouldn't want to dilute that beyond what the Journal merger has already. They also don't have the cash on hand or the willingness to add a sufficient enough debt load to make a huge individual move.

They might go shopping for bargains, like trying to grab the Knoxville duopoly from Lockwood (a growing market they have had historic ties to through the News Sentinel and the Scripps Network Interactive headquarters) trying build the portfolio, but I don't see them dropping hundreds of millions on station after station.

They're also going to end up with radio stations in Knoxville... I know it was a Jorurnal Thing to try and have TV and Radio operations in each market they were in... Not sure if Scripps will keep that mentality or not.

A preliminary version of Scripps' amended S-4 was published to EDGAR on 12/23:

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/832428/000083242814000110/0000832428-14-000110-index.htm

Doesn't look like Journal or Scripps have actually sent out the communication to the shareholders, nor scheduled a special meeting yet.

Edit: the "record date" set by both boards is Jan. 6, so expect to see something published on or very close to that date.

They're also going to end up with radio stations in Knoxville... I know it was a Jorurnal Thing to try and have TV and Radio operations in each market they were in... Not sure if Scripps will keep that mentality or not.

I'm not sure Scripps cares much, but if they do, then it's pretty neat that Scripps happened to own a TV station in Tulsa and Journal happened to own a few radio stations there too. It also makes for a nice bit of hope for the people of Springfield MO who would like to have a professional broadcasting company owning and operating their Fox affiliate.

What's wrong with Koplar?

Wait, I see it now, KRBK doesn't have any local news. Wonder if Fox has a problem with that...

Considering that KRBK got the affiliation after the fallout Fox had with Nexstar a few years back, I'm sure they're giving KRBK a pass for now because there weren't many other alternatives left for Fox in that market.

The only other options that were available were are a low power owned by Schurz (K15CZ) and/or a subchannel on KYTV or KSPR (both also operated by Schurz). I imagine that option wasn't too ideal for Fox and that KRBK was the lesser of two evils...so to speak.

To be fair, KRBK does have local news but it's very cheaply produced and only about 10 minutes long each night.

I'm not sure Scripps cares much, but if they do, then it's pretty neat that Scripps happened to own a TV station in Tulsa and Journal happened to own a few radio stations there too. It also makes for a nice bit of hope for the people of Springfield MO who would like to have a professional broadcasting company owning and operating their Fox affiliate.

Not only that but the Journal cluster in Tulsa (particularly KVOO-FM and KFAQ, formerly KVOO AM) has historical ties with KJRH, formerly KVOO-TV. Great to see former sister radio and TV stations reuniting.

Scripps has named Bill Siegel as "director of news strategy" to oversee their newsrooms.

www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/832428/000083242815000005/ssp-billsiegeljoinsscripps.htm

With his previous experience at WISN, I wonder if WTMJ might get some special attention from him (they need it...)

Scripps has named Bill Siegel as "director of news strategy" to oversee their newsrooms.

www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/832428/000083242815000005/ssp-billsiegeljoinsscripps.htm

With his previous experience at WISN, I wonder if WTMJ might get some special attention from him (they need it...)

Anybody know how well WWL has done under him?

Considering WWL is the 10-ton gorilla in New Orleans, I'd say pretty well.

He only started there in 2011...in the last two years of Belo ownership leading into Gannett.

While WWL is still the leader in New Orleans, it has been losing ground to WVUE and WDSU in recent years. And many traces of WWL's heritage have been slowly stripped away by Belo and now Gannett.

• 3 weeks later...

Scripps has announced what positions Steve Wexler and Debbie Turner of Journal will be filling following the merger.

http://ftvlive.com/todays-news/2015/1/22/scripps-reorganizes-leadership-with-journal-merger

Still no date for the shareholder meetings afaik, although both companies have been sending letters to shareholders about it.

Interesting that leading up both the TV and Radio divisions of Scripps are Journal execs. It's not as surprising with the radio division, given that Scripps *had* no radio division. I would have expected the Journal TV stations to be merged into the existing Scripps executive structure, though.

Browsing through EDGAR, there's a transcript of an internal Scripps video that indicates that the SEC is the one holding up the works. The transcript indicates the SEC hasn't given clearance yet.

'I wonder what's going to happen with the news production agreement journal communications lansing,michigan's WSYM Fox47 has with gray broadcasting WILX NBC10 when SCRIPPS takes possession of WSYM

Probably nothing at first. The quickest and cheapest option would be to hire some reporters and photogs in Lansing and producing the show out of WXYZ. Share resources both ways (WXYZ gets a "Lansing Newsroom" and WSYM gets a "Detroit Newsroom".) and you'd have a pretty decent operation going.

Probably nothing at first. The quickest and cheapest option would be to hire some reporters and photogs in Lansing and producing the show out of WXYZ. Share resources both ways (WXYZ gets a "Lansing Newsroom" and WSYM gets a "Detroit Newsroom".) and you'd have a pretty decent operation going.

That would be a nice arrangement... You would have to tape the newscasts most likely... There's not too much more space at WXYZ to use for new newscasts that are live. I know that I'd like to see WXYZ get a Lansing beureau though... Their state government coverage sucks.

They combined studios A & B into one and that's their main studio. They have a space upstairs that is the "7 Sports Cave". Maybe there's an out of use studio © or large space at Broadcast House?

They'd need more anchors in addiction to photogs and reporters, everybody who anchors there is already tied up or reporting.

It's a great idea though and it would benefit the Lansing Market and WXYZ would boost it's news personel.

Archived