SHOCKER: Scripps and Journal to merge

Glimmer

Telepictures is one of the producing arms of Warner Bros. And notice how hypocritical they are when they were bitching paying all those expansive license fees to Sony, prior to dropping Wheel & Jeopardy.

The difference in that WoF and J! have crept up in fees thanks to their popularity and high salaries that Pat Sajak, Vanna White, and Alex Trebek command. I honestly don't know how mucb Let's Ask America pays its host but I assure you it's way less than Sajak or Trebek.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The difference in that WoF and J! have crept up in fees thanks to their popularity and high salaries that Pat Sajak, Vanna White, and Alex Trebek command. I honestly don't know how mucb Let's Ask America pays its host but I assure you it's way less than Sajak or Trebek.

Propably a fraction of what the three get. Bellamy will be the new host, and he'll likely not get the same salaries as the three.

But I still think the Lighthouse decision to drop Wheel & Jeopardy was still the dumbest move they'd ever done, and it is showing, despite them saving alot of move with cheaper syndie fanfare and their own produced programming.

I think this will be good for the papers because the way things work is that Wall Street is always squeezing these companies to make their numbers. That usually results in more money being poured into electronic media, and less investment in newspapers. Look at Gannett's agreement with the Dispatch people to print their Ohio papers. The big reason they did this is so that Gannett would not have to invest money into their printing plants. As a standalone newspaper company, Gannett can focus on doing what's best for their papers as opposed to starving them to invest money into TV. Wall Street will compare them to their peers and there won't be any TV stations to cloud the picture.

Yeah, I agree with you. My comment was more intended as a subtle commentary on NBCO and the marketplace in general. Unless something changed right before the split Tribune sent their papers away with a mound of debt. Scripps/Journal, News Corp., etc. are at least giving them a chance by not saddling them with all the debt. I think we are likely to see a few big "print media" behemoths come out of all these spin-offs.

I can understand "The List" and "The Now" since those are totally in-house. But how is paying Telepictures to produce "Let's Ask America" any cheaper than syndication? Isn't Telepictures a syndication company as well? Why would they produce a program for a company that is moving away from syndication?

Telepictures is one of the producing arms of Warner Bros. And notice how hypocritical they are when they were bitching paying all those expansive license fees to Sony, prior to dropping Wheel & Jeopardy.

WOF and J! are 70/30 cash plus barter. Sony keeps 30% of the ad inventory on top of the fee received. Although, produced by Telepictures & paraMedia, Scripps still owns (at least part of) "Let's Ask America." And, LAA is cleared on an all-cash basis so the station keeps all the ad time. The cost of producing LAA is much less than WOF or J! even though they are paying (or, forgoing a partial ownership stake) to have Telepictures & paraMedia produce it for them. And, the stations get to keep 100% of the ad time.

Plus, Scripps was also responsible for domestic distribution but, they have turned over to MGM this year in an effort to clear the show nationwide. So, they will also receive a cut of the programming fee for each station that picks up the show.

They come out way ahead on the deal.

WOF and J! are 70/30 cash plus barter. Sony keeps 30% of the ad inventory on top of the fee received. Although, produced by Telepictures & paraMedia, Scripps still owns (at least part of) "Let's Ask America." And, LAA is cleared on an all-cash basis so the station keeps all the ad time. The cost of producing LAA is much less than WOF or J! even though they are paying (or, forgoing a partial ownership stake) to have Telepictures & paraMedia produce it for them. And, the stations get to keep 100% of the ad time.

Plus, Scripps was also responsible for domestic distribution but, they have turned over to MGM this year in an effort to clear the show nationwide. So, they will also receive a cut of the programming fee for each station that picks up the show.

According to this TVNewsCheck article, MGM has only managed to clear 33 percent of the country for "LAA." And, they're not on prime stations either (examples are KTXD in Dallas and a "leftovers" subchannel of WCIU in Chicago). They claim the coverage gets bumped up to 70 percent due to a deal with Game Show Network. That is definitely not enough clearance to sell non-PI ads within the show, so it's going to be tough going for the national rollout.

According to this TVNewsCheck article, MGM has only managed to clear 33 percent of the country for "LAA." And, they're not on prime stations either (examples are KTXD in Dallas and a "leftovers" subchannel of WCIU in Chicago). They claim the coverage gets bumped up to 70 percent due to a deal with Game Show Network. That is definitely not enough clearance to sell non-PI ads within the show, so it's going to be tough going for the national rollout.

Unless something changed recently "LAA" is sold on an all-cash basis. The local stations get 100% of the ad inventory. It's not cash plus barter (or, barter only) like a lot of syndication deals. So, the distributor(s) isn't selling any time, they just get a flat fee.

Yeah, I agree with you. My comment was more intended as a subtle commentary on NBCO and the marketplace in general. Unless something changed right before the split Tribune sent their papers away with a mound of debt. Scripps/Journal, News Corp., etc. are at least giving them a chance by not saddling them with all the debt. I think we are likely to see a few big "print media" behemoths come out of all these spin-offs.

Is it cheaper to use MGM as a distributor than another larger firm like CBS or WB Distribution? They're also the distributor for RightThisMinute...

• 2 weeks later...

The Paperwork Is Up!!!!

Well I only see WTVF is posted. But on the paperwork, it includes comprehensive exhibit, and the master transaction agreement.

This deal will include two divestituires. The first is to divest one of the five radio stations in the Wichita market.

Wichita: Journal’s ownership of five FM radio stations in the Wichita market exceeds the four FM station sub-cap applicable in that market. Journal’s ownership of the five FM stations is “grandfathered,” because Journal acquired the stations prior to a change in the FCC’s local ownership rule that had the effect of reducing the size of the market for purposes of the local radio ownership rule. Journal will divest one of its Wichita FM stations prior to completion of the Transaction

And the other divestiture market (not surprising) will be in Boise.

1. Boise – Required Divestiture

Journal owns two television stations in the Boise market, KIVI-TV, Nampa, and KNIN-TV, Caldwell. There are fewer than eight independently owned and operated television stations in the Boise market. Journal acquired KNIN-TV in 2009 pursuant to a failing station waiver. Banks-Boise, Inc., Letter to Counsel, 23 FCC Rcd 16508 (MB, Video Division 2008). KIVI-TV is an ABC affiliate and a top-four station. When Journal acquired KNIN-TV pursuant to a failing station waiver, it was a CW network affiliate. Under Journal’s stewardship, KNIN-TV became a FOX network affiliate, and it is now one of the top four stations in the market and no longer qualifies as a failing station.

Journal will divest one of its Boise television stations prior to completion of the Transaction. Scripps therefore requests that the Commission approve the Transaction, conditioned on the divestiture of one of the Boise television stations prior to the closing.

And I guess after the Belo splitting duo of KMSB & KTTU to Sander/Tucker, the current KGUN/KWBA duopoly is now in compliance of the duopoly rule. That means the only failed station waiver request they are going to file is in the Green Bay market.

Oh wait there's new info. Also on the comprehensive exhibit, it appears that Lansing's WSYM is now operating MyNetworkTV station WHTV under a joint sales agreement. WLNS was the previous station that operated WHTV's JSA until the end of last year.

Who would be first in line to acquire KNIN I wonder? I have a feeling it will be a small entity that will continue the newscasts from KIVI. Boise is probably too small for four news operations (it is barely large enough for three).

Given their presence to Boise's west, Brian Brady's Northwest banner wouldbe a great fit. Outside them, MAYBE Cowles or NPG but the pickings are slim.

• 2 weeks later...

Journal is already making the divestiture trust paperwork.

Now they listing all the stations involved (the four radio stations in Wichita & two television stations in Boise) because they have yet to decide which one they will divest as of yet.

I like how the Trust's address is a residence. Is there not a UPS Store in Scottsdale??

Our divestiture trust holder is Doug Kiel, a former Journal guy. He was at one time the vice chairman and CEO of Journal.

And he lives in north Scottsdale, just like Jack Sander. These guys have made some pretty good money to be living in these gated communities in north Scottsdale. (Ben Tucker, owner of KTTU and one-time owner of WGTU, lives in the suburb of Chandler, which is *not* Scottsdale.)

• 1 month later...

KFTI-FM in Wichita is the first to go, to a company that has never owned any sort of broadcast property.

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1232241/000110465914071312/a14-20188_3425.htm

And it should be noted that KFTI's classic country format and call letters are moving to their AM 1170 facility, which until recently carried ESPN Deportes.

• 3 weeks later...

Given their presence to Boise's west, Brian Brady's Northwest banner wouldbe a great fit. Outside them, MAYBE Cowles or NPG but the pickings are slim.

Is it possible Block could buy KNIN? Plausibly, they could apply for a failing station waiver on KTRV to create a duopoly, depending on how much revenue that station's lost since losing Fox to KNIN and switching to an independent (before MyNetworkTV moved from 12.2 to 12.1) in 2011.

And yes, I understand the irony of the scenario, especially since Journal bought KNIN using a failing station waiver. I don't recall an instance though where a company claimed that a station it already owned was failing to create a duopoly with a stronger station it bought in the same market. Usually, the FSW is applied for a weaker station being bought by a company that already owned a stronger station.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow. I thought that had happened a while back. The results aren't a surprise, though... I don't think anyone believed it wouldn't go through.

"First half of 2015" - I wonder how aggressively they'll move on this, whether we will see that right at the beginning of the year, or if it'll take longer.

Wow. I thought that had happened a while back. The results aren't a surprise, though... I don't think anyone believed it wouldn't go through.

"First half of 2015" - I wonder how aggressively they'll move on this, whether we will see that right at the beginning of the year, or if it'll take longer.

It needs approval from shareholders which probably explains the fairly vague window.

Green Bay becomes another market where all of their big stations have had new owners, since the M&A craze began in 2011.

2 = Young > Media General

5 = Liberty > Nexstar

11 = LIN > Sinclair

14 = ACME > LIN > Sinclair

26 = Journal > Scripps

32 = Ace TV > Journal > Scripps

Archived