SHOCKER: Scripps and Journal to merge

Glimmer

Never. The Wolfes hate Scripps! If they ever sell out, it will be to Gannett. (I don't know this to be true, just a little speculation on my part. They liked Avco and Taft, though.)

Not to mention that the Wolfe family also owns WTHR in Indianapolis so Scripps would have a conflict. Gannett would be a clean sale...

Not exactly. If the Wolfes were to sell to Gannett, Gannett would have to flip the TV stations to Sander due to TV/newspaper cross-ownership rules (Gannett owns the Indianapolis Star, and I don't think the grandfather clause applies to a media group acquiring a preexisting TV/radio/newspaper cluster) or sell off the newspapers altogether.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Outside of that, I'm drawing a blank on what would be a good situation for either company. Graham has been brought up, but Gannett would be out for obvious reasons; you may be able to make the case for Scripps (minus WDIV) if they're interested in adding to their Florida portfolio and making inroads in Texas. Maybe Dispatch if the Wolfe family decides to cash out on their TV properties and focus solely on newspapers?

How about Boston if/when Sunbeam puts WHDH/WLVI up for sale? (Let's pretend for the sake of this discussion that WSVN gets sold separately.)

Either Renderon short-changed Scripps, or Scripps had demands that resulted in relatively subpar work.

From my perspective, the current Scripps graphics are definitely better than the McGraw-Hill stuff they replaced. KMGH diluted it a lot when they upgraded their newscasts to HD in 2008, and by 2012 the look had aged terribly. (It never held a lot of appeal to me, anyway, and neither did the WLS look it was based on)

IIRC, the McGraw-Hill Hothaus graphics package was done mostly in-house. That or the heavy modifications made to them were done in-house. I can't remember exactly, but I could have sworn reading that McGraw-Hill had a graphics hub/department at KMGH that handled the graphics for all MGH stations. I think by the time that graphics package was retired, it was a severely bastardized version of the original 2006 pack- with very few of the original elements left in it.

In regards to the current graphics, they're not bad but they definitely need a refresh. It would not surprise me if they commission a new package next year just to incorporate the Journal stations into the Scripps brand. I just hope that they can get Renderon to stop making some clunky graphics. Maybe something as nice and simple like the Accuweather graphics?

IIRC, the McGraw-Hill Hothaus graphics package was done mostly in-house. That or the heavy modifications made to them were done in-house. I can't remember exactly, but I could have sworn reading that McGraw-Hill had a graphics hub/department at KMGH that handled the graphics for all MGH stations. I think by the time that graphics package was retired, it was a severely bastardized version of the original 2006 pack- with very few of the original elements left in it.

In regards to the current graphics, they're not bad but they definitely need a refresh. It would not surprise me if they commission a new package next year just to incorporate the Journal stations into the Scripps brand. I just hope that they can get Renderon to stop making some clunky graphics. Maybe something as nice and simple like the Accuweather graphics?

Journal's due for a refresh. I hate when KGUN uses the Breaking News L3:

B9L5Nn.png

And if they need to put a name on the screen in breaking news mode:

Sl3bvt.png

The "Breaking News" part is just so unnecessarily huge. I think we all know it's breaking news. I think the name or info of the story is more important than the fact it's breaking news...

Journal's due for a refresh. I hate when KGUN uses the Breaking News L3:

B9L5Nn.png

And if they need to put a name on the screen in breaking news mode:

Sl3bvt.png

The "Breaking News" part is just so unnecessarily huge. I think we all know it's breaking news. I think the name or info of the story is more important than the fact it's breaking news...

Could they adopt a refreshed version of that? It almost looks better than Scripps if they tweaked it some. It's definitely not bad looking except for that giant tab. Who made the Journal package?

Could they adopt a refreshed version of that? It almost looks better than Scripps if they tweaked it some. It's definitely not bad looking except for that giant tab. Who made the Journal package?

Renderon,

Renderon,

Wow that's interesting. It lacks all the characteristic angles of their Scripps and Graham stuff so I thought it might have been somebody else. That makes it even more likely they'll stick with Renderon of that's what everybody is familiar with.

In the case of KPHO, they pick up a rookie show that ends up being a hit ("Ellen"), and after a couple years, loses the program to KPNX! KPHO's Program Director came from a UPN station that was basically programmed like an independent, so "low-cost programming" is his M.O. However, they did grab "Wheel of Fortune" and "Jeopardy" in the KTVK package. KPHO airs "The People's Court" in the daytime -- I wonder if they will end up swapping a couple of KTVK's stronger shows to KPHO?

Let's not forget the "Better Show" all Meredith markets have to air. Not too far off from Journal's "Morning Blend" (or even Journal's reliance on bottom-barrel syndication like "OK! TV" or the Byron Allen court shows) or the Scripps shows.

So is Wheel/Jeopardy are moving to KPHO 5? UGH Doesn't KTVK run the both game show either 7pm or 8pm? It seems Meredith (2) CBS outlets Atlanta & Phoenix have alot of heavy syndication. Lots of News, CBS dayparts, a show here and there, and it would behoove them to get Wheel/Jeopardy in Atlanta from WXIA to WGCL during Access Time.

Never. The Wolfes hate Scripps! If they ever sell out, it will be to Gannett. (I don't know this to be true, just a little speculation on my part. They liked Avco and Taft, though.)

But I don't think they are going to sell out because of one thing: They merged Wolfe-controlled BancOhio into National City Bank and had a big chunk of National City stock. They got screwed when National City went under and now own a substantially devalued piece of PNC Bank.

I think they learned their lesson about letting other people run their crown jewels.

What the deal with The Wolfe Family and Scripps? Why is there all this hate with these two powerful Titans, and if they did sell I do see Gannett getting WBNS, WTHR and that funky Dispatch Newspaper which is like reading a mazagine since they've shrunk it.

So is Wheel/Jeopardy are moving to KPHO 5? UGH Doesn't KTVK run the both game show either 7pm or 8pm? It seems Meredith (2) CBS outlets Atlanta & Phoenix have alot of heavy syndication. Lots of News, CBS dayparts, a show here and there, and it would behoove them to get Wheel/Jeopardy in Atlanta from WXIA to WGCL during Access Time.

I don't think Meredith is going to move "Wheel" and "Jeopardy!" from KTVK. I just threw out the suggestion of them swapping talk shows between the two stations. "Dr. Phil" would be a better news lead-in for KPHO than "Steve Harvey." KPHO has had a track record of acquiring shows that either didn't work or moved to other stations ("Ellen," "Anderson Live," "Rachael Ray").

I don't think Meredith is going to move "Wheel" and "Jeopardy!" from KTVK. I just threw out the suggestion of them swapping talk shows between the two stations. "Dr. Phil" would be a better news lead-in for KPHO than "Steve Harvey." KPHO has had a track record of acquiring shows that either didn't work or moved to other stations ("Ellen," "Anderson Live," "Rachael Ray").

I wished KPHO move The People's Court to KASW. For a big CBS affiliate, it doesn't look right to have a show like that on their lineup.

Not really. It seems at some of their stations, around the time the economy went down the tank, they laid off a lot of reporters and now at stations like WEWS and WMAR, people who used to be strictly photographers are now filing reports on-air as MMJs. I have no idea whether they're good fronting their own stories since I don't live in those markets, but maybe someone who lives in Cleveland or Baltimore can tell me how bad the photographers are as reporters.

The MMJ at WMAR are mainly former photographers (or people who have been in the business a while) rather than the new breed of MMJ who are fresh out of college who went to school to write and produce their own stories. One thing that I've noticed when I watched a MMJ at WMAR is that it reminded me of one scene from The Newsroom (I've only seen about three episodes) where the one character who served as the campaign embed for Mitt Romney was getting ready to file his report using a HandiCam on a tripod using measuring tape to find the right distance where he should stand - so that he would be in frame correctly asked a rival to see if he was in frame/focus correctly. The only reason why I brought this up is because for almost two years it seemed like half of their stand ups were oddly zoomed or blocked incorrectly (this was when WMAR was still center cutting their graphics - It was the package prior to renderon).

I don't want to be any more negative because most of WMAR's MMJ are professional photographers and not trained journalists - prior to this they shot the video and tied it in to the audio where the reporter was responsible for content. All of the sudden they had to do the jobs of two people, one of which they weren't trained for, so it was a lot of thinking on their feet. After a rocky transition period the MMJ pieces grew better and I think the station learned what's the best place to send a MMJ. Do they want to have a MMJ covering a routine press conference or to a crime scene to interview the surviving relatives, police officer? I would send the MMJ to the press conference and send a crew to cover the crime scene.

My last thing regarding WMAR would be a tip if you are going to cut positions to save money use some of the money to buy station polo shirts which look much more professional than what I've seen some,of the MMJ wear.

I wished KPHO move The People's Court to KASW. For a big CBS affiliate, it doesn't look right to have a show like that on their lineup.

Why? It was that way on WWJ for some time years ago and WCBS carries judge Judy at least and thats not a ton better or different.

Why? It was that way on WWJ for some time years ago and WCBS carries judge Judy at least and thats not a ton better or different.

Judy is a staple on the Big-3 Channel 2s. All three air Judy as a lead in to their 5pm news. I'm not talking about Judy. Obviously The People's Court doesn't have the numbers like Judy. And I think its well suited to be place in a lower station.

Since Meredith bought KTVK, it would be wise to move some better lucrative syndie talk shows to KPHO instead of their lineup being the way it is now. I wouldn't say much if they had Judy on the lineup, but that airs on KSAZ (and I didn't realize this until now that a boatload of Fox O&Os carry the program).

The original Hothaus Graphics were custom. Overtime the station would do them themselves. There never was a MGH Graphics Hub. The stations just shared a lot of elements and designs. Some elements originated at one station and made their way to another or were specifically made with a particular sister station in mind.

As for the Renderon Graphics, they were in the works prior to the MGH Acquisition. The MGH stations waited until the Renderon stuff was done, before they switched over.

The current Scripps Graphics Hub is at WFTS in Tampa and The Master Control Hub is at WRTV in Indianapolis. The WRTV Hub can handle all of the current Scripps stations and the Journal Stations. Each Master Control pod can run 6 stations. (Don't ask me how it works, it just works).

gallery_1261_63_1408904.jpg

As for the Renderon Graphics, they were in the works prior to the MGH Acquisition. The MGH stations waited until the Renderon stuff was done, before they switched over.

The current Scripps Graphics Hub is at WFTS in Tampa and The Master Control Hub is at WRTV in Indianapolis. The WRTV Hub can handle all of the current Scripps stations and the Journal Stations. Each Master Control pod can run 6 stations. (Don't ask me how it works, it just works).

They were in the works before that acquisition? How do you know that? And if that's the case then it's probably reasonable to assume that there's already another package in the works or soon to be in the works that that we can look for it over the coming months and 1 year. It's happy to see that Scripps believes in refreshed and updated looks every 2-3 years rather than keeping the same old, worn down thing for 5, 6, 7 years at a time.

Not to mention that the Wolfe family also owns WTHR in Indianapolis so Scripps would have a conflict. Gannett would be a clean sale, possibly Meredith as well.

But I agree, there doesn't seem to be any sign of WBNS and WTHR going on the auction block anytime soon.

Not exactly. If the Wolfes were to sell to Gannett, Gannett would have to flip the TV stations to Sander due to TV/newspaper cross-ownership rules (Gannett owns the Indianapolis Star, and I don't think the grandfather clause applies to a media group acquiring a preexisting TV/radio/newspaper cluster) or sell off the newspapers altogether.

Two things going on here: WBNS and WTHR both make a lot of money and are going to sell for top dollar. El Cheapo outfits like Scripps aren't going to pay top dollar and even if they did, they are just going to run them into the ground. If those two stations ever sell, they are going to go to a quality broadcaster.

Second, the Wolfes are not a public company. They are a family-run operation and they have zero debt - that's how they can walk all over the competition. They also have no pressure to sell or get large because nobody on Wall Street is pressuring them. The only way they sell is if it gets to the point where there are so many heirs and they all want to cash out.

Before the crash, WBNS and WTHR both had revenue in the $60 million range ..... using standard profit ratios of 33% (probably higher since the stations are so dominant) that means $40 million in profit and no debt. If I were a Wolfe, I would keep those $40 million checks coming in as long as I can.

As a former MGH employee, I will not have you insulting my former colleagues. Just kidding, but since they are a publisher that place was crawling with artistic and illustration talent.

Not really. It seems at some of their stations, around the time the economy went down the tank, they laid off a lot of reporters and now at stations like WEWS and WMAR, people who used to be strictly photographers are now filing reports on-air as MMJs. I have no idea whether they're good fronting their own stories since I don't live in those markets, but maybe someone who lives in Cleveland or Baltimore can tell me how bad the photographers are as reporters.

In other words, they run their TV stations like they ran all their failed newspapers. Except in TV, the profit margins are still so large that its hard for even the stupid to fail!

There is now a gallery of The WRTV Set, Control Room, and Master Control Hub. http://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?/gallery/album/63-wrtv-scripps-mater-control-hub/

Gallery is interesting. Don't quite know what I expected. Seems really cramped in there. That wall with all of the logos is pretty neat, although an observation to note is that WMAR and KNXV's logos are the wrong color (red instead of yellow) and that the majority of Scripps' stations use red in their logo. I hate red.

And my god does WRTV need a new set bad!

Gallery is interesting. Don't quite know what I expected. Seems really cramped in there. That wall with all of the logos is pretty neat, although an observation to note is that WMAR and KNXV's logos are the wrong color (red instead of yellow) and that the majority of Scripps' stations use red in their logo. I hate red.

And my god does WRTV need a new set bad!

Those gold logos of KNXV 15 & WMAR 2 needs an update

They are pretty old. How did they end up with the same logos in the first place?

It was a phase Scripps was going through during ABC's black-and-yellow graphic days. Thankfully, it didn't spread to the others.

[/sarcasm]

Archived