SHOCKER: Scripps and Journal to merge

Glimmer

United actually hasn't had anything to do with Garfield in years; Jim Davis himself bought the IP in 1994, and the rights went to Universal Media Syndicate at that time.

More to the point, I now wonder what will become of Meredith. They seem like an increasingly obvious takeover target, and this deal makes it even more obvious.

I meant to say that for longtime readers of both strips. (United Media also sold off "Peanuts" IP rights to a group composed of Iconix Brand Group and Charles Schulz's estate months before effectively shuttering operations.)

How much of an overlap would exist between Meredith and Hearst? That would seem to be the most logical. Or Meredith and MediaGeneral?

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uh guys ..Question, Lansing,Michigan's Journal Owned FOX Affiliate WSYM has their newscasts (5:30pm & 10pm ) produced under a News Production deal with Gray Broadcasting's NBC Lansing Affiliate WILX TV out of WILX's American Bivd Studios, will "THE LIGHTHOUSE" keep the deal going or return the newscasts to WSYMs Studios at 600 W. St. Joseph????

Well, there is some overlap between the two with radio. In Tulsa, Scripps has KJRH and Journal owns radio stations there. I can actually see them keeping it.

Unanswered question: Who gets the digital business (which includes Newsy and the Storm Shield app) and who gets the Scripps Spelling Bee? Do both stay with what will now be the television broadcaster?

The Scripps apps will fit in nicely with Journal's various apps like "Radio League".

WTMJ-TV was one of the few legacy stations left that had been owned by the same company since it signed on. Guess that's about to change...

Analysis by Journal TV station:

• KGUN: Scripps will need to get the failing station waiver to continue duopoly with KWBA. That said KGUN will probably see some cooperation with KNXV, and if Scripps is consolidation-minded, that will be even further the case.
  • WFTX: Will benefit from Scripps's other Florida stations, WFTS and WPTV. This station is roughly equidistant to both.
  • KIVI: This station is in an area where Scripps really has never been. The closest Scripps station is in Denver. I don't expect much to change.
  • WSYM: Will Scripps opt to start a news operation and/or use WXYZ as a springboard to cut ties with WILX?
  • KMTV: The only consolidation I can see here is with Kansas City, and even then that's a stretch.
  • KTNV: Scripps has built a nice cluster for itself in the Southwest alright.
  • WTVF: Again, Scripps TV hasn't been here in a while (at least since selling WMC).
  • WGBA: This station has needed a bit of a fresh look for some time and has never really had the backing to win in Green Bay. Also, needed FSW for WACY.
  • WTMJ: Milwaukee TV won't benefit from the sentimental value it has had to Journal, and that might really be a negative for 'TMJ in the long run. How much will 'TMJ and the Journal-Sentinel be associated?

The only area where they have no presence in... is the same state Gannett has a 83% household reach in (following their mergers with Belo and London). Texas.

Perhaps Graham Holdings is next for Scripps? KSAT, KPRC, WJXT and WFSB don't overlap with any Scripps-Journal market at all.

Analysis by Journal TV station:

• KGUN: Scripps will need to get the failing station waiver to continue duopoly with KWBA. That said KGUN will probably see some cooperation with KNXV, and if Scripps is consolidation-minded, that will be even further the case.
  • WFTX: Will benefit from Scripps's other Florida stations, WFTS and WPTV. This station is roughly equidistant to both.
  • KIVI: This station is in an area where Scripps really has never been. The closest Scripps station is in Denver. I don't expect much to change.
  • WSYM: Will Scripps opt to start a news operation and/or use WXYZ as a springboard to cut ties with WILX?
  • KMTV: The only consolidation I can see here is with Kansas City, and even then that's a stretch.
  • KTNV: Scripps has built a nice cluster for itself in the Southwest alright.
  • WTVF: Again, Scripps TV hasn't been here in a while (at least since selling WMC).
  • WGBA: This station has needed a bit of a fresh look for some time and has never really had the backing to win in Green Bay. Also, needed FSW for WACY.
  • WTMJ: Milwaukee TV won't benefit from the sentimental value it has had to Journal, and that might really be a negative for 'TMJ in the long run. How much will 'TMJ and the Journal-Sentinel be associated?

Given Lansing is 90 miles from Detroit, I could see WSYM pooling or benefiting potentially from WXYZ/WMYD. I suspect we will get a new look and music to go with the switch like when they bought MGH.

The only area where they have no presence in... is the same state Gannett has a 83% household reach in (following their mergers with Belo and London). Texas.

Perhaps Graham Holdings is next for Scripps?

Perhaps but what do you do with the probably more profitable and higher rated WDIV? It would be painful to let it go and that would be a major conflict.

Perhaps but what do you do with the probably more profitable and higher rated WDIV? It would be painful to let it go and that would be a major conflict.

Trade it to Warren Buffet in exchange for WPLG? Just throwing that option out there...

I had the impression for awhile that Scripps was starting to gradually wind down their "old media" assets. Of course, the Cincinnati Post and Rocky Mountain News both shut down at the end of this past decade. And most notably, United Media (aka, the "United Features Syndicate" for fans of "Peanuts" and "Garfield," and an offshoot of United Press International) effectively ceased to exist in 2011 when their distribution contracts were sold to Universal Uclick.

Merging with Journal and spinning off the combined companies' newspaper assets into a separate company is probably the best possible outcome for Scripps at large.

Your turn, Gannett...

Scripps had a unique knack for destroying their newspapers (Cincinnati, Columbus, Cleveland, Denver, Pittsburgh, Toledo, Houston, Indianapolis, New York, Washington. Fort Worth, Thousand Oaks, Birmingham, Boulder, Albuquerque, Youngstown, El Paso, San Francisco). This will probably be great for the newspapers that remain, but does a one (or three) newspaper company have the infrastructure to run 13 more newspapers?

Perhaps Graham Holdings is next for Scripps? KSAT, KPRC, WJXT and WFSB don't overlap with any Scripps-Journal market at all.

I don't live in a market with a Scripps television station, but we used to have a Scripps newspaper. The paper had its good points, but it was still second tier. My impression of the Graham properties is that they are top tier so I don't see it. But then again, I wouldn't have guessed this was going to happen, either.

Wow Scripps has made some major freaking moves the past couple of years. As mentioned earlier, it will be interesting to see how standardization is affected. It would be a fairly large project trying to standardized all of these television stations into a one cohesive look I would imagine, but hey, Gannet, Hearst and Sinclair did it with a freak ton of stations...there would just need to be a major overhaul. I'm also curious to know how this will affect Scripps' original television stations (meaning those before the McGraw-Hill purchase). It's arguable that several of their existing stations were/are in poor shape and that Scripps never really seemed to try and help and support them up.

Plus, as also mentioned earlier, I really do wonder what this means for syndicated programming. Scripps more or less purged their current stations of syndicated programming to produce and air their own bullcrap programs instead. It's well known how badly they want those programs to succeed and expand; merging with Journal might give them that opportunity, but that still doesn't mean that they'll succeed

And what's this consolidation thing you guys are speculating about between KMTV and KSHB? Frankly, I seem to have missed the whole "overlap" and "consolidation" thing and what that even means (please pardon my ignorance).

Wow Scripps has made some major freaking moves the past couple of years. As mentioned earlier, it will be interesting to see how standardization is affected. It would be a fairly large project trying to standardized all of these television stations into a one cohesive look I would imagine, but hey, Gannet, Hearst and Sinclair did it with a freak ton of stations...there would just need to be a major overhaul. I'm also curious to know how this will affect Scripps' original television stations (meaning those before the McGraw-Hill purchase). It's arguable that several of their existing stations were/are in poor shape and that Scripps never really seemed to try and help and support them up.

Plus, as also mentioned earlier, I really do wonder what this means for syndicated programming. Scripps more or less purged their current stations of syndicated programming to produce and air their own bullcrap programs instead. It's well known how badly they want those programs to succeed and expand; merging with Journal might give them that opportunity, but that still doesn't mean that they'll succeed

And what's this consolidation thing you guys are speculating about between KMTV and KSHB? Frankly, I seem to have missed the whole "overlap" and "consolidation" thing and what that even means (please pardon my ignorance).

I think they mean the sharing of resources and that they may have some coverage overlap(?) On the second one I don't have a signal map handy so somebody who knows can chime in. With WXYZ it was supported till standardization and then left to rot. They finally figured that out and are fixing it with WMYD. Hopefully that kind of thinking about how to win takes hold in more stations in the group. KSHB's troubles after "The Now" not withstanding.

Scripps had a unique knack for destroying their newspapers (Cincinnati, Columbus, Cleveland, Denver, Pittsburgh, etc.) This will probably be great for the newspapers that remain, but does a one (or three) newspaper company have the infrastructure to run 13 more newspapers?

The Cleveland Press died because of inattention by Scripps and obvious favoritism towards WEWS. They rested on the laurels of Sam Sheppard crucifier longtime editor Louis Seitzer for far too long. Plus the Plain Dealer hired a whole bunch of young reporters and started to invest into the paper back in the late 60s. Joseph Cole gets unfair treatment because he presided over the Press' actual death, but it was decades in the making.

It sounds like the existing infrastructure with Scripps' newspaper operations will be the backbone of the new Journal Media Group.

I think they mean the sharing of resources and that they may have some coverage overlap(?) On the second one I don't have a signal map handy so somebody who knows can chime in.

Oh well then if that's the case then yeah that's a stretch. Omaha and Kansas City are only about 3 hours away, but by no means are they close enough that sharing resources is justified. The only place their signals probably overlap are at the fringes of their viewing areas. If I recall correctly, some Kansas City stations CAN be received and carried up in Nebraska along the NE-KS border, but even still. Not worth the time, money or effort.

The Cleveland Press died because of inattention and obvious favoritism towards WEWS. Plus the Plain Dealer hired a whole bunch of young reporters and started to invest into the paper back in the late 60s. Joseph Cole gets unfair treatment because he presided over the Press' actual death, but it was decades in the making.

It sounds like the existing infrastructure with Scripps' newspaper operations will be the backbone of the new Journal Media Group.

It looks like a near definite possibility that Scripps newspapers will provide the backbone since the guy that will head the new Journal is the Scripps newspaper VP.

It's arguable that several of their existing stations were/are in poor shape and that Scripps never really seemed to try and help and support them up.

Sounds like the way they operated their newspapers.

I don't know if this is such a bad thing, if they can get it to work. The world of syndication is a bunch of crap these days. Since they are based in Cincinnati and Cincinnati has a heritage of producing local entertainment programming, maybe they should try out that model instead.

Sounds like the way they operated their newspapers.

To an extent, possibly. Stations like WMAR and KNXV they just don't seem to give a rat's ass about. The same could be said about KSHB too, but KSHB seems cursed in the sense that every time they have a taste of success and begin to shake things up in their market, Scripps comes along and does something that pushes them down (currently it's "the NOW").

I don't know if this is such a bad thing, if they can get it to work. The world of syndication is a bunch of crap these days. Since they are based in Cincinnati and Cincinnati has a heritage of producing local entertainment programming, maybe they should try out that model instead.

They could get it to work wonderfully if they make their shows be of some quality. Scripps LOVES social media and and pop culture everything they've created so far (save maybe "Let's Ask America") is social media and pop culture driven. In Kansas City at least, it fails.

Just when you thought Scripps is satisfied from acquiring the stations of McGraw-Hill, plus 2 stations from Granite, they're at it again with another merger that will make Sinclair or Nexstar "bitter with jealousy".

I think that's a tad bit of a stretch. This time I'm positive that Scripps is satisfied. They freaking merged with another company. If they buy any more stations then I will be dumbfounded and then I will begin to wonder if they're slowly becoming the next Sinclair or Nexstar.

Trade it to Warren Buffet in exchange for WPLG? Just throwing that option out there...

If Graham is to sell their station Hearst would be the perfect fit and with WDIV and NBC would position Hearst in a good place. Yes, WPLG sold to Buffet's team, but according to Wikipedia; As part of the deal, Post-Newsweek Stations (renamed Graham Media Group in July 2014) will continue to provide services to the station for up to two years after the sale's consummation through a transitional services agreement.The sale was finalized on June 30.

If Hearst bought Graham and add WPLG to the mix, but I'm sure Hearst would have to sell WPBF which could get in the hands of Gannett if that were the case. KLAS still owned by Landmark and I think Gannett should also look into getting the CBS affiliate in Vegas.

To an extent, possibly. Stations like WMAR and KNXV they just don't seem to give a rat's ass about. The same could be said about KSHB too, but KSHB seems cursed in the sense that every time they have a taste of success and begin to shake things up in their market, Scripps comes along and does something that pushes them down (currently it's "the NOW").

They could get it to work wonderfully if they make their shows be of some quality. Scripps LOVES social media and and pop culture everything they've created so far (save maybe "Let's Ask America") is social media and pop culture driven. In Kansas City at least, it fails.

It fails because they are doing the equivalent of feeding a 90 year old nothing but candy. The viewers are mainly older and don't have that much tied to social media. They think they can attract younger viewers with this crap. Meanwhile other groups put out quality products (Graham, ABC, Cox) and retain viewers while not overdoing it. The traditional model isn't as bad off as Scripps would have you believe.

Archived