SHOCKER: Scripps and Journal to merge

Glimmer

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a link to a map of all their stations: http://scripps.com/tv They have the state of Kansas surrounded.

I like the new description "Our reporters are everywhere". :lol:

Seriously though.. their operations are almost contiguous except for the gaps in Illinois, Pennsylvania and any one of those states between Tennessee and Florida. Not bad. Their new site actually isn't that bad either.

TX_CCCT.jpg

Scripps logo GONE from the front page! Good riddance Scripps...

I also like how they gush about now being available in one out of five TV households in America. Let me just say I am more than glad I am in one of the four out of five who still can't receive their stations and have to be exposed to their clueless station strategy. :D

Brand Recognition I'd guess. I think the "Today's" needs to go as well, as most people seem to call the station "TMJ4" anyways. Just "TMJ4" and "TMJ4 News" both sound weird though... I wish they would just go back to News 4 Milwaukee.

"Today's TMJ4" sounds more like a great name... for a topical ointment.

So the management moves are:

Debbie Turner becomes VP of TV Operations from her role as EVP of the Broadcast Group at Journal and GM at WTVF in Nashville. Lynn Platinga takes over as VP/GM at WTVF.

Ed Fernandez is going to be a VP and Divisional GM leaving his VP/GM role at WXYZ but staying based in Detroit. Station Manager Mike Murri (who started there in 1982 when ABC owned WXYZ (!) becomes VP/GM.

And finally Steve Wasserman leaves his GM role at WPTV to be another VP/ Divisional Manager based in West Palm Beach. WPTV Station manager Lloyd Bucher replaces him as VP/GM. Bucher had been station manager at WPTV since 2012.

I wonder what happened to Steve Wexler? He was a VP at Journal and GM of WTMJ-TV before being pushed over to VP of Radio Ops. Is he heading up the radio stations for Scripps now?

Sounds like a bum deal for guys like KTNV GM Jim Prather who was also a VP at Journal.

I wonder what happened to Steve Wexler? He was a VP at Journal and GM of WTMJ-TV before being pushed over to VP of Radio Ops. Is he heading up the radio stations for Scripps now?

Sounds like a bum deal for guys like KTNV GM Jim Prather who was also a VP at Journal.

He is listed as "Vice President, Radio" on Scripps website.

http://www.scripps.com/steve-wexler

So the management moves are:

Debbie Turner becomes VP of TV Operations from her role as EVP of the Broadcast Group at Journal and GM at WTVF in Nashville. Lynn Platinga takes over as VP/GM at WTVF.

Ed Fernandez is going to be a VP and Divisional GM leaving his VP/GM role at WXYZ but staying based in Detroit. Station Manager Mike Murri (who started there in 1982 when ABC owned WXYZ (!) becomes VP/GM.

And finally Steve Wasserman leaves his GM role at WPTV to be another VP/ Divisional Manager based in West Palm Beach. WPTV Station manager Lloyd Bucher replaces him as VP/GM. Bucher had been station manager at WPTV since 2012.

Here's the story to that: http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/after-merger-scripps-announces-management-changes/145244

No; they had been involved many years ago (WCPO and WMC had radio siblings, for instance), but they initially bowed out of radio during the '90s.

Scripps also launched an FM station in Cleveland back in 1947 - WEWS-FM 102.1 - to serve as a dress rehersal for WEWS-TV staffers while the TV station was being built up. As soon as WEWS-TV debuted, WEWS-FM left the air for good.

Scripps sold off the FM license in 1950 to the group that launched WDOK 1260; it came back on the air as WDOK-FM, and has kept that callsign ever since.

Plus Scripps technically owned KENS radio in the mid-90s, but never ran it. It and KENS-TV were leased out to Belo before it was sold off to Belo.

And Scripps owned WNOX 990 Knoxville in the mid-20th century; this merger with Journal reunites them with the WNOX callsign (it's on a rimshot classic hits signal).

Scripps also launched an FM station in Cleveland back in 1947 - WEWS-FM 102.1 - to serve as a dress rehersal for WEWS-TV staffers while the TV station was being built up. As soon as WEWS-TV debuted, WEWS-FM left the air for good.

Scripps sold off the FM license in 1950 to the group that launched WDOK 1260; it came back on the air as WDOK-FM, and has kept that callsign ever since.

Plus Scripps technically owned KENS radio in the mid-90s, but never ran it. It and KENS-TV were leased out to Belo before it was sold off to Belo.

And Scripps owned WNOX 990 Knoxville in the mid-20th century; this merger with Journal reunites them with the WNOX callsign (it's on a rimshot classic hits signal).

The Scripps radio group included stations in Portland, Oregon (KUPL AM/FM in the '80s and early-'90s) and Phoenix (KMEO AM/FM, which was sold to Group W after they purchased KNXV).

Wow, Group W owned a radio station in Phoenix. Did not know that. They sold it to Bonneville in 1991, and Bonneville it seems promptly sold the stations themselves. The AM went down the road of being Spanish and the FM wound up eventually with Clear Channel.

When WEWS was started (both FM and TV), Scripps already had an established presence, with "The Cleveland Press", started by Edward Willis Scripps in 1878 as "The Penny Press"

At one time, they owned newspapers in Toledo, Akron, Youngstown, Columbus, Cincinnati, AND Cleveland. (This was in the early 1900s and all of such are defunct....with the last surviving entities being the Cleveland Press (1982 after Scripps-Howard sold the paper in 1980) Columbus Citizen-Journal (1985 after the Columbus Dispatch didn't renew their JOA) and the Cincinnati Post (2007 when the JOA with the Enquirer expired)

When exactly did Scripps move their home base to Cincinnati?...both their pioneer newspaper and TV station were founded in Cleveland.

Scripps first invested in the Cincinnati Post in 1881 so they had a presence there since just about the beginning of the company which was 3 years earlier, in 1878. The current Scripps headquarters was built in 1990... not sure if they were based there before that or not.

• 1 month later...
You forgot one thing. I'm talking about its duopoly station, KNIN. Since its now a Fox affiliate, I wonder if it still meets the requirements as a "failed station". They were a CW station back then when they acquired the FSW. Now if it no longer meet those FSW requirements, the Lighthouse would have to spin-off KNIN.

RabbitEars says KNIN is going to Raycom. I believe KIVI would continue to produce newscasts for KNIN, just like Scripps' WPTV does for Raycom's WFLX Palm Beach.

http://www.rabbitears.info/updates.php?source=A

RabbitEars says KNIN is going to Raycom. I believe KIVI would continue to produce newscasts for KNIN, just like Scripps' WPTV does for Raycom's WFLX Palm Beach.

http://www.rabbitears.info/updates.php?source=A

Raycom does seem to be in a buying mood lately so I'm not that suprised even though they don't have any stations in the Pacfic Northwest (I think the closest sister station is KOLD down in Tuscon).

It's real and true. The purchase price is $14.5 million.

It seems like the best deal possible. There is no way a standalone KNIN would survive in the Boise market (already pretty small for 3 operations), and they already have experience together in West Palm Beach. The other possibility I could think of was a small local company purchasing KNIN.

Archived