SHOCKER: Scripps and Journal to merge

Glimmer

I'll see if I can get a screengrab, but usually KGTV uses it with bulleted points and it has a box for an image or video.

Yep those are the ones I was talking about. I first noticed it was slightly updated last year around April or may iirc.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Umm..I know journal owns WSYM TV FOX 47, but since they decided to mothball their news department and outsource it to Gray's WILX , a question comes into mind, would SCRIPPS continue with the News Sharing deal or would SCRIPPS end the deal and build a news department up from scratch (like KSHB TV )

To add to the question, if SCRIPPS stayed with the deal to let GRAY continue to Produce the FOX 47 NEWS from WILX studios , would they (WILX) have to take the scripps package for WSYM , or keep WSYM with the Gray package from promos to news open ??

I said somewhere else that it'd be wise if they just put a few reporters/multimedia journalists at WSYM and hubbed one or two 30 minute shows out of WXYZ every night. You get big market production values with little work and WXYZ gains a "bureau" in Lansing for Capitol stories.

The Journal/Scripps merger and spinoff has been approved by the shareholders. (Breaking news "banner" on JSOnline.com, the webpage for the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.)

Developing...

Official Journal press release confirms - http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=145779&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2024782

I wonder how quickly they'll look to close. "Early second quarter" almost makes me think they'll fast-track this and they'll close by 4/1 or possibly 4/15, but definitely next month.

Employees of Journal who will be going to Scripps were already told that retirement funds were scheduled to be transferred to Scripps' plan on like, April 8th. So somewhere around there I'd imagine.

More like more of The NOW. Good God, I can't envision that show being plastered on the Journal stations. It would be an utter disaster.

I was thinking news reports on things like the Madison shooting... But putting The NOW on really wouldn't effect much of that.

Anxious to see how they'll run WFTX. Scripps hasn't owned a Fox affiliate since the 90s.

Maybe they'll actually invest in the station so its more competitive with WINK and NBC2.

yeah right, have you been following the trades? Because Scripps is looking to cut costs, not invest...

Scripps is turning into the Advance/Newhouse of television. Taking something that's not too broken and fixing it horribly.

The next thing they'll probable do along these lines is only do news three nights a week and start swiping stories from their competitors (with only slight editing). :bang:

And the poor people have in Cleveland have it twice as bad with WEWS and the Plain Dealer.

Thank goodness for the Beacon Journal in Akron and too bad WAKC went away so many years ago...

I wonder if this will lead to a cutback in news at WTMJ. There were rumors last fall about the 3pm news getting axed, so I wonder if that would be the case.

I could see the 3pm show becoming "The Now Milwaukee" and "Wisconsin Tonight" getting replaced by "The List". I doubt they'll eliminate much more than that.

I could see the 3pm show becoming "The Now Milwaukee" and "Wisconsin Tonight" getting replaced by "The List". I doubt they'll eliminate much more than that.

The NOW up to now has been exclusively a 4pm lead in.... I doubt they'll change that thinking and put WTMJ on the east coast time.

You know, the one thing I haven't heard anything about: with the Journal newspapers and their soon to be former sibling television and radio stations are going their separate ways, has there been any talk of establishing a content sharing agreement between the two?

WTMJ ushered in the Scripps era Tuesday night by mentioning how the sale goes into effect today over one of the station's original ID cards, which proudly proclaimed the station as "The Milwaukee Journal Television Station".

http://i.imgur.com/N99lZAv.jpg

Kind of sad that 88 years of continuous ownership on the Radio side and 68 years on the TV side came to an end today. Not many stations were able to say that, even the oldest of the network O&O's can't technically say that considering how many times ABC, CBS and NBC have been bought/sold/spun off...

WTMJ ushered in the Scripps era Tuesday night by mentioning how the sale goes into effect today over one of the station's original ID cards, which proudly proclaimed the station as "The Milwaukee Journal Television Station".

http://i.imgur.com/N99lZAv.jpg

Kind of sad that 88 years of continuous ownership on the Radio side and 68 years on the TV side came to an end today. Not many stations were able to say that, even the oldest of the network O&O's can't technically say that considering how many times ABC, CBS and NBC have been bought/sold/spun off...

:(

Both Scripps and Journal have made changes to their corporate sites. Scripps launches a total makeover of their site, while Journal seems to have only changed their logo and removed the broadcast properties from the site.

No obvious changes to the station websites that I checked. In fact, TMJ4's website is still hosted on jrn.com, the domain for Journal Communications. Many email addresses on the site are still jrn.com addresses as well.

As was noted in another thread, no obvious changes to TMJ4's morning newscast, other than anchor Vince Vitrano having a Scripps coffee mug at the desk.

(Edit: an extremely brief mention at the end of the newscast of the change in ownership, mentioning "you'll see a new copyright" but "nothing else is changing." They closed the newscast with the copyright card with the Scripps lighthouse.)

Also, why is TMJ still branded as "Today's TMJ4"? I know that JC Burns created the original look for it, but ever since then, the name's kinda lost it's meaning.

Brand Recognition I'd guess. I think the "Today's" needs to go as well, as most people seem to call the station "TMJ4" anyways. Just "TMJ4" and "TMJ4 News" both sound weird though... I wish they would just go back to News 4 Milwaukee.

In other news, the jrn.com/{station} URL trickery has been replaced... with the even worse "scrippsmedia.com/{station}" scheme. I wonder how fast Scripps is going to move them to their platform with addresses like these...

Brand Recognition I'd guess. I think the "Today's" needs to go as well, as most people seem to call the station "TMJ4" anyways. Just "TMJ4" and "TMJ4 News" both sound weird though... I wish they would just go back to News 4 Milwaukee.

In other news, the jrn.com/{station} URL trickery has been replaced... with the even worse "scrippsmedia.com/{station}" scheme. I wonder how fast Scripps is going to move them to their platform with addresses like these...

Probably pretty quick... Unless the intent of it is to be as seamless as possible to those viewers.

Archived