Sinclair Broadcast Group - General Discussion

Smitha A

I wouldn’t put a labor union in the same boat as a corporation.

Of course...

The corporation asked nicely for a donation.

However the union just took it (your money)...as a condition of employment.

A donation is not mandatory in the case of Sinclair and it's desired pac. A union member has NO choice as to where the dues go, and for what "cause".

As you were.

• Like 2

Of course...

The corporation asked nicely for a donation.

However the union just took it (your money)...as a condition of employment.

A donation is not mandatory in the case of Sinclair and it's desired pac. A union member has NO choice as to where the dues go, and for what "cause".

As you were.

Let me put it this way.. A corporation, in this case, a media/broadcasting one, has a lot more influence/power than a labor union and can push their political agenda (whether it's pro-right/left/up or down) out to a lot more people. As overly-idealistic as this may sound; I just don't think it's a good idea for a corporation to ask for a 'donation' or a union to use dues towards anything political. Decisions like that should ultimately be left up to an individual.

And despite what SCOTUS says, a corporation is not an individual.

Back to you Jim.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
No media/broadcasting corporation should, directly or indirectly, have a PAC and/or ask their employees to contribute to said PAC regardless of political affiliation. While it may seem like people are piling on Sinclair; believe me that they would be just as critical if this was Comcast, AT&T, Disney, etc...doing the same thing.
Actually, no they wouldn't. They are piling on Sinclair, even though Nexstar donated to Hiliary Clinton during the 2016 election cycle.

Actually, no they wouldn't. They are piling on Sinclair, even though Nexstar donated to Hiliary Clinton during the 2016 election cycle.

In actuality, they gave more to republicans than democrats that year and didn't directly, to my knowledge, ask their employees for political contributions. Again, I don't think media/broadcasting/communication companies should have a PAC.

In actuality, they gave more to republicans than democrats that year and didn't directly, to my knowledge, ask their employees for political contributions. Again, I don't think media/broadcasting/communication companies should have a PAC.

Correct.

https://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/pacgot.php?cmte=C00567388&cycle=2016

https://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/lookup2.php?strID=C00567388

• 2 weeks later...

According to this, it appears that Sinclair "must-runs" may have found their way into more prominent positions in the regular newscasts at KOMO-TV Seattle, with one running during a 6 pm newscast:

https://www.seattlepi.com/seattlenews/article/Sinclair-must-run-segments-Seattle-KOMO-12773700.php

Originally reported by Joe Veyra at Queen Anne and Magnolia News:

[MEDIA=twitter]976632135615315968[/MEDIA]

• Like 3

According to this, it appears that Sinclair "must-runs" may have found their way into more prominent positions in the regular newscasts at KOMO-TV Seattle, with one running during a 6 pm newscast:

https://www.seattlepi.com/seattlenews/article/Sinclair-must-run-segments-Seattle-KOMO-12773700.php

I think the questions are also must runs.

Sounds like Sinclair put someone at the former Fisher stations in charge and decided "we need to air the must runs during the evening newscasts instead of the overnights"

And they tried really hard to bury them. Such a shame.

• Like 1

Two possible reasons why this happened:

1. Sinclair executives are just now finding out about KOMO's "must-run" scheme; they threatened to fire the news director if the segments didn't come on during times when people are actually watching.

2. Ratings for KOMO's 6pm newscasts are taking a nosedive for some reason, so they're temporarily dumping the "must-runs" there until ratings pick back up.

1. Sinclair executives are just now finding out about KOMO's "must-run" scheme; they threatened to fire the news director if the segments didn't come on during times when people are actually watching.

2. Ratings for KOMO's 6pm newscasts are taking a nosedive for some reason, so they're temporarily dumping the "must-runs" there until ratings pick back up.

We'll see what happens with the 2nd reason but I think it may very well be the 1st one and that the KOMO News Director caved into Sinclair's demands

There's no way those ratings will pick back up now if they're airing those "must-runs."

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
The Allman Report is no more: after threatening to sexually assault David Hogg, he's been terminated and KDNL is back at square one. The threats had prompted calls for his firing and a boycott of the program's sponsors.

On one hand I'm really surprised Sinclair fired him, he seemed like a perfect fit for Sinclair culturally and clearly had no problem following the company talking points.....on the other hand when you threaten to "ram a hot poker" up a teenagers butt it's really hard to defend that person and keep him employed.

My guess is that Sinclair will just take a "wait and see" approach by not replacing Allman with anything significant and hope that the Tribune merger is approved and KTVI can start producing news for KDNL (or where ever ABC affiliation in St. Louis ends up).

On one hand I'm really surprised Sinclair fired him, he seemed like a perfect fit for Sinclair culturally and clearly had no problem following the company talking points.....on the other hand when you threaten to "ram a hot poker" up a teenagers butt it's really hard to defend that person and keep him employed.

My guess is that Sinclair will just take a "wait and see" approach by not replacing Allman with anything significant and hope that the Tribune merger is approved and KTVI can start producing news for KDNL (or where ever ABC affiliation in St. Louis ends up).

You make a good point. I could almost see KPLR getting the ABC affiliation...almost. KDNL could be shell bait for someone.