Sinclair Broadcast Group - General Discussion

Smitha A

Saw TBD for the first time today. Five minutes of my life I will never get back. What are they smoking in Hunt Valley?

Apparently, the execs thought the youngsters needed a hip, hot, happening channel of hilar clips, smart pop culture news and OMG moments to tweet and snap about tomorrow.

Thus this was born.

It's probably as stupid as I made it to be in this post.

• Like 3

Apparently, the execs thought the youngsters needed a hip, hot, happening channel of hilar clips, smart pop culture news and OMG moments to tweet and snap about tomorrow.

Thus this was born.

It's probably as stupid as I made it to be in this post.

They won't know TBD will be a failure until they start it, and it fails.

IMG_2051.JPG.e458537d1d59224b38930fec6c11f157.JPG

TBD? What sort of programming do they have on that channel??

A verbal description would gladly help......

It sounds like Sinclair inherited a trademark from an experiment by Allbritton to revamp news content for WJLA/NC8 (around the same time their Politico went mainstream).

At that time, IIRC, NC8 was even renamed "TBD TV" with a logo just like the speech balloon emoji.

...And they're distributing this new channel on Roku, something I wish a lot of other diginets did to make themselves available in markets that don't carry them.

Putting it on broadcast TV is like selling someone a texting plan for their landline phone...

They do the same thing with Comet which has become a new guilty pleasure of mine (mainly because I can get my Mystery Science Theater 3000 fix).

The funny thing though is that even though it's a network owned by Sinclair, the St. Louis affiliate of it is on KPLR 11.3.

Saw TBD for the first time today. Five minutes of my life I will never get back. What are they smoking in Hunt Valley? They got rid of GetTV for this crap.

As someone who watches a lot of YouTube, it's fine, although it's a bit easy to flip when something uninteresting is on. Plus, it's an escape from the worst garbage YT pushes, so the curation is appreciated.

It did do one good thing, it finally killed off any hope Retro TV had of getting any stations with actual signals back; the last three of five RTV stations with actual network affiliations were Sinclair; it replaced it in Toledo, Roanoke and Reno. KEYT in Santa Barbara and WKTC in Columbia, SC are it now. The sooner their sad idea of 'retro' is gone (AKA public domain offal, bartered Canadian crime drivel and "Crosswords"), the better (and they're also holding the rights for older Doctor Who episodes, which is annoying people who wanted it on the new US BBC/ITV Britbox service that was launched today).

• Like 3

Interesting since the production of their newscasts is going to shift (if it hasn't already) to WSBT in South Bend which doesn't have the Sinclair graphics as of yet.

It already has.

And to celebrate the occasion, WNWO dropped it's 5pm newscast, so they only have news from 5:30a-7a, 6p, 11p and 11p Sunday.

Just wait until it becomes another KDNL.

• Like 1

Actually, they're only on at 6:30am in the morning.

SIX THIRTY. That's it. Are we back to 1988?

That's the bare minimum that NBC requires (or atleast appears in every contract I've read). Additionally there needs to be a newscast leading into Nightly and The Tonight Show.

That's the bare minimum that NBC requires (or atleast appears in every contract I've read). Additionally there needs to be a newscast leading into Nightly and The Tonight Show.

I wonder how WTWC has gotten away with no news for so long if there is a minimum requirement. I assume as with Fox there is a monetary penalty to pay to the network if there is no news.

Also, every TV listing service I've checked still has WNWO on from 5:30-7.

Here's The Toledo Blade write-up on WNWO's news outsourcing.

Perhaps viewers liked the improved news set. Perhaps they didn’t mind those few times the screen went black as the broadcast jumped from South Bend to Toledo, a problem that seemed to have been corrected hours later at the 11 p.m. newscast. Maybe they didn’t notice that, when Cummings and Marae bantered with Newman, she was hundreds of miles away. Or care that Toledo was spelled “Toldeo” at one point in a graphic.

But little of that matters; money does.

While there are no FCC mandates or even network requirements forcing a station such as WNWO to continue producing newscasts, the news product is typically a source of revenue, even for a station struggling in the ratings, (Ken Garland, a journalism instructor at Bowling Green State University and a former broadcast reporter and anchor for two decades) said.

“[station owners] can do whatever they want,” he said, “so it’s got to be for the money.”

More here.

Buried under the news of ASN going kaput, but somewhat related to it, is this gem.

WRLH somehow did some technical reformatting and now is no longer able to get WJLA-produced DC United games for it's .2.. This when fellow affiliates/sister stations WUTB(.3.), WTVZ(.2) and WSET(.2) did not have a similar issue.

What may have happened on a technical end? For a technically minded company wouldn't Sinclair have made sure to prevent this?

• Like 1