Sinclair Broadcast Group - General Discussion

Smitha A

Sinclair is boasting ratings growth for its news magazine "Full Measure with Sheryl Attkisson," including in those markets that would be considered "liberal" (in particular, Portland, OR and Seattle). But, all we know, it could be from hash marks to a .3 rating.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/sharyl-attkissons-full-measure-up-in-key-markets/177799

I know syndication must be popping up in Sinclair exec's minds by now.

Sinclair is boasting ratings growth for its news magazine "Full Measure with Sheryl Attkisson," including in those markets that would be considered "liberal" (in

particular, Portland, OR and Seattle). But, all we know, it could be from hash marks to a .3 rating.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/sharyl-attkissons-full-measure-up-in-key-markets/177799

I know syndication must be popping up in Sinclair exec's minds by now.

I can't believe I'm saying this..

At least they are producing in-house product that employs local people of all political persuasions.

As we used to say to my runt brother...

"ANY growth is good."

• Like 1

KFXL & NTV have launched new websites. Nebraska.tv has a new logo and KFXL's title on your browser now says Lincoln news. They have also set up the opening for KFXL nightly on TV to open mentioning it as Lincoln and Central Nebraska news. Curious to see what this leads to and whether they will try to increase their Lincoln footprint as the only Fox affiliate in Nebraska, aside from low power KIIT.

KFXL & NTV have launched new websites. Nebraska.tv has a new logo and KFXL's title on your browser now says Lincoln news. They have also set up the opening for KFXL nightly on TV to open mentioning it as Lincoln and Central Nebraska news. Curious to see what this leads to and whether they will try to increase their Lincoln footprint as the only Fox affiliate in Nebraska, aside from low power KIIT.

Have you forgotten Sinclair's KPTM 42 in Omaha?

If NTV can snatch ABC from KLKN, I expect KFXL to put ABC on 51.2.

• Like 1

Have you forgotten Sinclair's KPTM 42 in Omaha?

Sorta yes. I consider it it's own game because it is in the Omaha market. Lincoln/Hastings/Kearney market covers the vast majority of Nebraska. I usually think of this market as Nebraska due to it's immense size. (So yes I am forgetting it, but it essentially means nothing outside of Omaha in terms of coverage)

• 2 weeks later...
The Syracuse Post Standard called out WSTM for plagiarizing one of their stories

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2016/9/23/sinclair-station-called-out-for-plagiarism

The sad part is that the $11 per hour newspaper writer is getting ripped off by the $12 per hour Tv writer.

Gotta love those glam jobs.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In the wake of the "pay for play" scandal, our local Sinclair stations (WGME and WPFO) have started running several pages of "Promotional Consideration" disclaimers at or near the end of each newscast. Have you seen this at your local Sinclair news-producing outlet?

I can't believe I'm saying this..

At least they are producing in-house product that employs local people of all political persuasions.

As we used to say to my runt brother...

"ANY growth is good."

We're also getting a lot of Circa content, which tends to skew left (apart from ex-RNC flack Raffi Williams.)

• Like 3

In the wake of the "pay for play" scandal, our local Sinclair stations (WGME and WPFO) have started running several pages of "Promotional Consideration" disclaimers at or near the end of each newscast. Have you seen this at your local Sinclair news-producing outlet?

"Good Day Wisconsin" may be a different case, but I have seen such plugs there. Not sure about 5P or 9P.

It's the end of local news production in Toledo, where Sinclair has decided to shift the actual production of its WNWO newscasts to South Bend and occasion some layoffs in the process.

The reporters, meteorologists and apparently the actual news set will remain in Toledo, but the entire backend operations will move to WSBT.

So this basically is on par with what WKBW did in their most dire days before Scripps bought them, sub-contracting out master control to a company in Atlanta, but also reducing redundant news personnel. WNWO also hasn't switched to HD yet, so this is one way to finally get that done.

It can only help; WNWO has been cursed since the Overmeyer days and with WDIV easily available in Toledo they've always had an uphill battle. The eight month carriage dispute with Buckeye where nobody batted an eye and demanded the station back also didn't help at all. Sinclair tried, but like Raycom, Malrite and Barrington before it, the station just will never move out of last place.

• Like 1

In yet another classic example of fixing what wasn't broken, Sinclair has rolled out a new live streaming player for its stations. Only one problem: it reloads every few minutes, and if you're outside the "live" time period it defaults to the dreaded "your stream is starting soon" loop. If ATSC 3.0 is anywhere near this flaky, we're in for a world of hurt.

In yet another classic example of fixing what wasn't broken, Sinclair has rolled out a new live streaming player for its stations. Only one problem: it reloads every few minutes, and if you're outside the "live" time period it defaults to the dreaded "your stream is starting soon" loop. If ATSC 3.0 is anywhere near this flaky, we're in for a world of hurt.
Well, when something is the same for too long, it breaks, though I dont know exactly how long it takes for that to happen. But I will say, that didnt break yet
  • Like 1

After giving Sinclair crap about their new streaming protocol, I have to come to their defense on this. They're getting grief from Scott Jones about their news startup in Wilkes-Barre. Is he aware that currently WOLF's newscasts are produced by WBRE? Isn't a new "voice" in the market a positive thing, even if many functions are handled out of WSBT? Time will tell if this morphs into News Central 2.0, but on balance I view this as a positive development.

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2016/12/4/sinclair-to-produce-newscast-from-600-miles-away

I'd like to know the last time Sinclair launched their OWN news department at a single station (or market) they own....

Even the brand-new newscast on WTGS FOX 28 in Savannah is piped in from WPDE in Myrtle Beach with a few "local reporters" to cover the news.

If anything, independent, secondary operations in Sinclair's fold could be on their way out over the next few years.

• Like 2

Well, when something is the same for too long, it breaks, though I dont know exactly how long it takes for that to happen. But I will say, that didnt break yet

I escalated the issue to Sinclair CTO Delbert Parks. He assured me he would look into the issue, so here's hoping...

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a doozy of a lede...

Donald Trump's campaign struck a deal with Sinclair Broadcast Group during the campaign to try and secure better media coverage, his son-in-law Jared Kushner told business executives Friday in Manhattan.

Kushner said the agreement with Sinclair, which owns television stations across the country in many swing states and often packages news for their affiliates to run, gave them more access to Trump and the campaign, according to six people who heard his remarks.

Yeah, that should come as a surprise to no one considering Sinclair's political stance and the fact it has made donations to the GOP in the past.

Not to mention that Armstrong Williams (head of pseudo-shell company Howard Stirik Holdings) is the spokesman for one Ben Carson.

Grifters R' Us.

Our local Sinclair station plays it pretty straight in terms of local coverage and relegates the corporate cram-downs (Behind the Headlines, Full Measure, Circa, The Right Side) mostly to off-peak time periods. One of their chief anchors does on-air editorials under the moniker "The Real Deal," and the content leans center-left. According to FTVLive, Hearst cut the same deal with the Trump campaign, though they aren't receiving the same blowback as Sinclair. Our local Sinclair station airs national content from CBS and CNN, even during their Fox-affiliated station's newscasts (I can't recall the last time I saw Fox content there.)

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2016/12/16/trump-campaign-admits-cutting-deals-with-sinclair-and-hearst