Sinclair Broadcast Group - General Discussion

Smitha A

So now it's official....WTVC swallowed the non-broadcast assets of WDSI....AND entered into a JSA with WFLI....

All without a single word spoken to the FCC...

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/mobile/index/article/id/92352

Welcome to the future of broadcasting!

Nobody hasn't the moving of WLYH's programming onto WHP's .3 and WLYH going to Grit yet?

Probably Sinclair or Nexstar.

My bet is on Nexstar. Turning from a small-to-mid market (leaning towards small) TV company to acquiring stations in large markets (Tampa will now be their largest after Salt Lake used to be their last biggest market, not include the CW affiliate in Phoenix) is probably going to prove to be disastrous for Nexstar one way or another. Either they're going to bleed money or run these stations into the ground AND THEN bleed money as a result.

As much as I give Sinclair crap all the time, at least they have experience operating stations in mid-size markets. Las Vegas is a good example. Nexstar got rid of KLAS's news helicopter the second they acquired the station while Sinclair kept the one KSNV has and started airing more promos about how Sky3 provides covers Southern Nevada "like no other station" a result (an obvious dig at KLAS).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bauoczXT7G8

• Like 2

My bet is on Nexstar. Turning from a small-to-mid market (leaning towards small) TV company to acquiring stations in large markets (Tampa will now be their largest after Salt Lake used to be their last biggest market, not include the CW affiliate in Phoenix) is probably going to prove to be disastrous for Nexstar one way or another. Either they're going to bleed money or run these stations into the ground AND THEN bleed money as a result.

I know KRON is practically a zombie, but KRON still does exist unless MG lets it go beforehand.

I agree with Nexstar because I can't think of a TV deal with that much scale involved. The combined company would have nearly 100 news departments under their control, Sinclair even now doesn't even have 60. The whole thing reeks of a pending disaster.

• Like 1

Nobody hasn't the moving of WLYH's programming onto WHP's .3 and WLYH going to Grit yet?

Just learned about it on The Changing Newscasts Blog the other day. The 10pm newscast moved to WHP 21.3 ("The CW Central PA"). This is WLYH's fourth affiliation change (it became a CBS affiliate in 1961 after four years with ABC, then UPN in 1995, then The CW in 2006, and now Grit).

Just learned about it on The Changing Newscasts Blog the other day. The 10pm newscast moved to WHP 21.3 ("The CW Central PA"). This is WLYH's fourth affiliation change (it became a CBS affiliate in 1961 after four years with ABC, then UPN in 1995, then The CW in 2006, and now Grit).

You're a smart man for reading my blog. :)

Yes... On February 1st, 2016, WHP moved its simulcast of "The CW Central PA" from WLYH 15 to WHP 21.3. Apparently, it was a simulcast on WLYH 15 and WHP 21.3 for a month in January before only having it on 21.3 starting in February. Remember... WLYH 15 is owned by Howard Stirk Holdings... *cough* Armstrong Williams *cough* a.k.a. Sinclair's "sidecar corporation."

You're a smart man for reading my blog. :)

Yes... On February 1st, 2016, WHP moved its simulcast of "The CW Central PA" from WLYH 15 to WHP 21.3. Apparently, it was a simulcast on WLYH 15 and WHP 21.3 for a month in January before only having it on 21.3 starting in February. Remember... WLYH 15 is owned by Howard Stirk Holdings... *cough* Armstrong Williams *cough* a.k.a. Sinclair's "sidecar corporation."

Oh yeah. Forgot about Howard Stirk.

Columbus' Deal with Time Warner is up and to be honest it wasn't popular with the fans so Sinclair coming and offering a New TV contract might not be a bad thing for them to do.

Looks like Sinclair thought it was a good idea as well.

The new deal will make WWHO the flagship station while still simulcasting the games on Time Warner Cable SportsChannel. Time Warner Cable is still handling the production of the games as well. This means that ASN won't be involved.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/sports/2016/02/26/0225-crew-tv.html

ABC 33/40 and James Spann were on-air for a tornado warning earlier this evening around 6 p.m. when Spann opened the 6:00 p.m. news with the station ID and included WJSU (now WGWW) and WCFT (now WSES). I thought 33 and 40 were sold/ditched in the deal? Maybe he did that out of error? Just looking for some clarification.

ABC 33/40 and James Spann were on-air for a tornado warning earlier this evening around 6 p.m. when Spann opened the 6:00 p.m. news with the station ID and included WJSU (now WGWW) and WCFT (now WSES). I thought 33 and 40 were sold/ditched in the deal? Maybe he did that out of error? Just looking for some clarification.

ABC 33/40 is carried on WGWW 40.2, but not sure as to why it was identified as WJSU or WCFT or as to why WCFT, now WSES, was in there.

Was it a graphic that said "Storm Mode" and had a callsign with that graphic slate. Or was it displayed on the bottom of the screen while Spann was doing the weather?

Either way, it wouldn't be Spann's fault for that error. That error would belong to someone from the master controls.

I am pretty sure there is no graphic that says that on the screen, if I remember correctly. I think James just says that out of habit for station identification. If I recall he usually says "This is WCFT Tuscaloosa, WJSU Anniston, WBMA Birmingham." Probably just no one has caught it to remind him to change it.