Sinclair Broadcast Group - General Discussion

Smitha A

Surprised no one mentioned this but KABB is launching a midday newscast on September 14, which I believe would be the first one on any of Sinclair's current Fox stations. The half-hour broadcast will air Monday through Fridays at 11:00 a.m., and will be anchored by Ernie Zuniga, Jessica Henry with Shaun Stevens as the program's meteorologist (all three currently serve as the team for KABB's weekday morning newscast Fox News First). Interesting that they chose to add a newscast in that timeslot instead of placing one at 4:00 or 5:30 p.m.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/jakle06/2015/07/new-s-a-tv-newscast-to-debut-in-fall/

Surprised no one mentioned this but KABB is launching a midday newscast on September 14, which I believe would be the first one on any of Sinclair's current Fox stations. The half-hour broadcast will air Monday through Fridays at 11:00 a.m., and will be anchored by Ernie Zuniga, Jessica Henry with Shaun Stevens as the program's meteorologist (all three currently serve as the team for KABB's weekday morning newscast Fox News First). Interesting that they chose to add a newscast in that timeslot instead of placing one at 4:00 or 5:30 p.m.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/jakle06/2015/07/new-s-a-tv-newscast-to-debut-in-fall/

KABB should've added news at 5:30 p.m.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like based on this promo for a new show featuring a local sports talk radio host (Mark Madden), the new branding is "22 the Point"

https://www.facebook.com/my22pittsburgh?fref=photo

I'm not a huge fan of Sinclair but I will say that they do seem intent on providing a lot more local content for WPNT compared to before.

Looks like based on this promo for a new show featuring a local sports talk radio host (Mark Madden), the new branding is "22 the Point"

I'm not a huge fan of Sinclair but I will say that they do seem intent on providing a lot more local content for WPNT compared to before.

I agree with you I'm not a fan of Sinclair myself either, but have to give them some credit where credit is due. They have made some strides in some of their shops which is shocking. They've been aggressive in talent pool for some of their shops, but they still have a cookie cutter product. I wouldn't say their the best company, but they've been the worst for a long time. Maybe somebody trying to give them a image makeover.

Don't forget the exclamation point! It's 22 the Point!

It's almost always a good thing when a station dumps the MyTV branding, but 22 the Point! sounds more like a radio station to me.

I can't see 22 the Point! being a radio station slogan, but the exclamation point does make it look exciting.

From a Facebook group:

I've got more BAD NEWS! I've just got word from James Jimmy Cieloha that Sinclair Broadcast Group is threatened to blackout its stations from DISH Network on August 15, 2015! ‪#‎DontShootTheMessenger‬! ‪#‎ReformNow‬ ‪#‎EndTheMadness‬

James Jimmy Cieloha This applies to Dish subscribers in the Omaha TV DMA with KPTM FOX and KXVO CW including me myself in Duncan, Nebraska in the Columbus, Nebraska area in the Platte County area, and in the Sioux City TV DMA with KPTH FOX and KMEG CBS including Madison and Norfolk in Madison County, Nebraska.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/677636052355784/832471946872193/?ref=notif&notif_t=group_activity

...That horse's mouth is, uh, interesting, but it is real:

http://dishnetworkretrans.com/

That is SBG's website on the affair. They are claiming that the deal expires tomorrow and apparently lots of Facebook pages are buzzing with negative comments. Dish, for its part, says negotiations are ongoing and questions why Sinclair felt the need to involve consumers at this point.

It's a very bold move. Cord cutters are buying antennas and enjoying all those FREE subchannels and free HD.

Yes, but we all know that most cable/satellite TV subscribers will just switch to another provider if a dispute isn't settled in a timely manner. Eventually, that time will come when Sinclair will have a dispute with DirecTV, Cox, Charter, etc., and the viewer will have to switch again. Then this will lead to more cord-cutting, unless you're in a rural area where you might not get the over-the-air signal and your only choices are the two satellite providers.

Broadcasters' hunger for more retrans dollars, along with the declining subscriber base of cable/satellite services, will eventually be the downfall of the large station groups. They'll make money in the short-term, but they'll have to continue to justify increased retrans fees (if they negotiate in cost per subscriber economics) even if the cord-cutting trend continues.

This should surprise no one, really. Dish is always involved in a spat and seems to have more impasses and anyone else (they were even going to let the ESPN deal lapse but thankfully, they came up with a new deal). I remember in 2012 when Dish turned off WFMJ but, WFMJ being WFMJ, they told no one that 21 and Dish were in a dispute until the day after it was taken off.

...That horse's mouth is, uh, interesting, but it is real:

http://dishnetworkretrans.com/

That is SBG's website on the affair. They are claiming that the deal expires tomorrow and apparently lots of Facebook pages are buzzing with negative comments. Dish, for its part, says negotiations are ongoing and questions why Sinclair felt the need to involve consumers at this point.

Stuff like this are why so many people are deciding to "cut the cord" so to speak. So both parties are shooting themselves in the foot anytime they go through this.

If you guys haven't already taken a look at that website, I would suggest it. It's quite an entertaining read.

I thought this was the best part of that website:

• Q: What is retransmission consent?
  • A: It’s a long story that started in the 1970s but we won’t bore you! Basically, retransmission consent is the process that cable and satellite companies use to negotiate with the owners of television stations for the right to carry those stations on their cable systems.

Gee thanks Sinclair, I didn't realize I was too stupid to understand what re-transmission content was. Otherwise I would've just realized what a money grab this whole scheme is.

Another part I liked:

• Q: Isn’t this just about greed?
  • A: No. It’s about a local business just working to operate its business profitably. Given that we spend millions of dollars each year to buy and produce high-quality programming, it is only right and fair that Dish Network compensate us fairly for a portion of our cost, especially since they are re-selling our content to their subscribers. In addition, the inability to reach agreement with Dish Network is related to other material matters besides the amount we are to be paid.

Unless I live in Baltimore, Sinclair isn't a local business to me.

And then you get the usual "we should get money for cable companies carrying our OTA signals because ESPN does it so why shouldn't we" spiel:

• Q: Why should Dish Network have to pay to carry a television station?
  • A: Nobody would suggest that Dish should be able to carry cable channels such as ESPN, USA, TBS, etc, for free! Dish Network pays large sums of money to these cable channels to have the right to carry and sell to their subscribers. Local TV stations are similar to cable channels in that we pay millions of dollars each year to buy high-quality programming from national networks (such as Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS and CW) and other program creators, and to produce important informational programs, such as the local news and sports. It is just standard business practice that cable companies like Dish Network should pay for the right to resell programming to their subscribers. It is essentially the same as cable channels.

• Q: But aren’t television stations available for free over-the-air?
  • A: Yes, we are very proud that Local TV stations and all their great programming (including network and local shows) are available over-the-air at no cost with the use of an antenna. However, this doesn’t mean that cable companies have the right to resell our signals without properly compensating us. It is no different from the fact that local radio stations are free over-the-air, but a satellite radio company like SiriusXM Radio has no right simply to carry local stations and charge subscribers for it.

Like "43 The Block?" (WUAB's on-again, off-again, on-again, off-again branding)

WPNT's new brand strikes to me similar to KMCI's "38 The Spot" brand as well.

One more note, apparently KSNV is taking another stab at producing news for KVCW, both airing on weekdays only. That station, which had aired an hour-long 10:00 p.m. newscast from 2006 to 2009, is launching a half-hour newacast in that same timeslot starting Monday (August 17) to be anchored by Marie Mortera (who already anchors KSNV's 3:00 and 7:00 p.m. newscasts).

KSNV will also produce a two-hour morning newscast from 7:00 to 9:00 for KVCW, which will be anchored by Krystal Allen (who anchors KSNV's noon newscast) and newly joined Jeff Mahler (formerly with KXTV). That program will carry the "Wake Up" title used by KSNV's 4:30 to 7:00 a.m. newscast, though Kim and Dana Wagner will not be involved with the KVCW morning show.

Yes, but we all know that most cable/satellite TV subscribers will just switch to another provider if a dispute isn't settled in a timely manner. Eventually, that time will come when Sinclair will have a dispute with DirecTV, Cox, Charter, etc., and the viewer will have to switch again. Then this will lead to more cord-cutting, unless you're in a rural area where you might not get the over-the-air signal and your only choices are the two satellite providers.

But most DBS subscribers cannot bounce back and forth due to contracts. The tide is changing very quickly...faster than DBS and cable can fathom.

Free OTA and a 5-30 mbs internet connection can do serious damage to DBS and Cable. I think there will be a giant push for de-reg, dropping fin/syn completely and letting the markets fight it out.

One more note, apparently KSNV is taking another stab at producing news for KVCW, both airing on weekdays only. That station, which had aired an hour-long 10:00 p.m. newscast from 2006 to 2009, is launching a half-hour newacast in that same timeslot starting Monday (August 17) to be anchored by Marie Mortera (who already anchors KSNV's 3:00 and 7:00 p.m. newscasts).

KSNV will also produce a two-hour morning newscast from 7:00 to 9:00 for KVCW, which will be anchored by Krystal Allen (who anchors KSNV's noon newscast) and newly joined Jeff Mahler (formerly with KXTV). That program will carry the "Wake Up" title used by KSNV's 4:30 to 7:00 a.m. newscast, though Kim and Dana Wagner will not be involved with the KVCW morning show.

Seems like you've read my blog... :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Sinclair pulling a Tallahassee in Chattanooga?

RabbitEars is saying Sinclair has put a simulcast of WDSI FOX 61 on WTVC 9.2 (in HD!). ThisTV, which was on 9.2, could be going away (or moving to WRCB or WDEF). MNT would move from 61.2 to WFLI 53.2. They might be getting ready to take Channel 61 dark (after all, it has a relatively small coverage area). If Sinclair goes through with this plan, Chattanooga would be the largest market (and the first Top 100 market) with a FOX affiliate on a subchannel of a Big 3 station. Could this be Tallahassee all over again?

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=station_search&callsign=22590#station

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=station_search&callsign=72060#station

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=station_search&callsign=71353#station