Sinclair Broadcast Group - General Discussion

Smitha A

I see they are renting studio space from a company called Pelopidas.

Likely because the KDNL studios (they have the space) are not HD-ready. I'm sure they haven't really been touched since 2001 or so, likely a lot of original 1995 equipment.

Likely because the KDNL studios (they have the space) are not HD-ready. I'm sure they haven't really been touched since 2001 or so, likely a lot of original 1995 equipment.

So basically they outsourced their production to a third party instead of spending the money upgrading the facilities they already own to produce a program with just enough content to satisfy ABC's local news requirements.

Yep, sounds like Sinclair to me.

WBFF launched their 4PM newscast with Kai Jackson today. The 4PM hour is conducted standing up either against the gian RP screen or a flat panel, while the 5PM hour is at the newsdesk. They also refreshed their graphics package today where the chyron takes up the entire screen now. Unfortunately they couldn't get the chyron to work functionally until the 5:30 block when they finally got the ticker on screen and for some reason the bottom most ticker used for sports scores doesn't show up until the sports segment. Their ticker is still a bit buggy as it sometimes stutters as the headline makes its way leftward.

HSgOV7B.jpgWhHmuhq.jpg

Have any other stations refreshed this package?

Edit: Sorry about the size of the images, I cant figure out how to resize them. If a mod wants to change it feel free to do so and it would be much appreciated.

I live in St. Louis and was able to watch the Allman Report tonight in its full version on KDNL. It's pretty much as the clips on their Facebook page suggest, it's a TV version of his radio show with interviews and commentary moreso than regular news (and you can guess the political slant of it all). They do read the headlines at the beginning of the newscast and they also have reporters from WSYX (which is where KDNL's master control is) read national headlines in the middle of the newscast as well.

The thing that really struck me odd is that the weather segment was also based out of WSYX (which also produces the weather cut-ins for KDNL for GMA). Throughout the newscast, the meteorologist was talking as if he was based out of St. Louis. KDNL never was part of the "News Central" experiment so this is my first exposure to this, it's kind of wierd to have someone in Columbus telling me what the weather's like here in St. Louis as if he's actually based here.

More vestiges of Jim Rogers' ownership of KSNV are disappearing. It appears Sinclair successfully got their behind-the-scenes workers, which had been represented by a local chapter of the IBEW union, to decertify the chapter. Now, I could care less whether or not they are represented by a union, but the General Manager's comments seem to toe the company's anti-union line.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/82476/sinclairs-ksnv-employees-opt-out-of-ibew

More vestiges of Jim Rogers' ownership of KSNV are disappearing. It appears Sinclair successfully got their behind-the-scenes workers, which had been represented by a local chapter of the IBEW union, to decertify the chapter. Now, I could care less whether or not they are represented by a union, but the General Manager's comments seem to toe the company's anti-union line.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/82476/sinclairs-ksnv-employees-opt-out-of-ibew

I did find this line pretty funny though

She continued: “Sinclair has a culture of creating a professional atmosphere and fostering a good working experience for its employees.

Speaking of WJLA, specifically the 4pm open that's linked, seems like Scott Thuman has been co-anchoring at 4pm with Alison, but Leon is not off as he appears at 5pm, 6pm, and 11pm. Could it be that Scott is the new 4pm co-anchor (kind of replacing Gordon, but on a different newscast).

I'm confused. If Sinclair placed switched call letters from WMMP to WCIV on channel 36, why do they still have promotionals running the WMMP call letters? I called the station and someone on their staff stated that they are both WMMP and WCIV on the same channel...in their meaning, MyTV Charleston is both WCIV and WMMP. I believe the receptionist routed me to the newsroom.

I'm confused. If Sinclair placed switched call letters from WMMP to WCIV on channel 36, why do they still have promotionals running the WMMP call letters? I called the station and someone on their staff stated that they are both WMMP and WCIV on the same channel...in their meaning, MyTV Charleston is both WCIV and WMMP. I believe the receptionist routed me to the newsroom.

Because they either...

A. Don't care enough to update the old promos to reflect the new calls.

B. Or, still have some "old" promos in the system that slipped through and made it to air.

You could file a complaint with the FCC. But, as long as the TOH id is correct they won't do much. Sinclair might get a strongly worded letter to scrub references to WMMP to avoid viewer confusion though. I'm guessing whomever you spoke with on the phone took the path of least resistance. You have to remember they have to explain the changes to Joe Q. Viewer, too. So, when Joe Q. Viewer calls in it's just easier to say "WMMP and WCIV are on the same channel" than explain the intricacies of the switch. But, they are technically incorrect making that statement.

Mike Murphy, the longtime ABC 33/40 (and now all of Sinclair's Birmingham stations) General Manager, is stepping down for a GM Job in St. Louis, and it's not with KDNL.....

http://www.al.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2015/02/abc_3340_general_manager_leavi.html#incart_river

The previous GM of WTTO/WABM, J.C. Lowe was moved to Pensacola to take over WEAR & WFGX, replacing Terry Cole.

Mike Murphy, the longtime ABC 33/40 (and now all of Sinclair's Birmingham stations) General Manager, is stepping down for a GM Job in St. Louis, and it's not with KDNL.....

http://www.al.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2015/02/abc_3340_general_manager_leavi.html#incart_river

The previous GM of WTTO/WABM, J.C. Lowe was moved to Pensacola to take over WEAR & WFGX, replacing Terry Cole.

He's heading to KMOV huh?

As someone who watches KMOV, what should I expect in regards to how he'll run the station?

(I know KMOV isn't a Sinclair station but it's still semi-related.)

Speaking of KDNL, I see they finally updated their website and moved to the template that stations like KABB just moved to.

In addition, they will be airing a special edition of "The Allman Report" right after the Oscars tomorrow night. Usually it's only on Monday-Friday but I guess they figure this would be their best attempt to draw in more viewers.

As the new GM comes does that makes a possibility that KMOV will get a new set with the CBS o&o graphics.

Not sure if it would have to do with a new GM, but I would have to think that KMOV will pick up new graphics soon. They'll probably pick up something similar to what WFSB recently debuted.

I still don't understand how Sinclair was able to keep virtual Channel 3 in Las Vegas, but can't keep virtual Channel 4 in Charleston. Or is there some kind of an FCC exception when you're stuck on a low-VHF frequency?

No, there isn't such an exception.

They could have requested a waiver from the FCC to swap virtual channels. However, I have not seen a request or a grant for such an event. And, if the FCC does grant a waiver for a virtual channel number the change will be reflected within the online public inspection file like how KGBY's was changed from VC 8 to VC 20 after their swap with KJCT-LP. Neither of KNSV's or KVMY's public inspection files reflects such a change. As such I don't believe Sinclair requested a waiver to swap VC numbers in Las Vegas they just did it unilaterally.

I brought this up before but, how can that be you might ask? Well, like most FCC rules there are always a few "outlaws". You'll find licensees that don't shut off their daytime-only station. Licensees that don't operate at the correct power. Licensees that don't have files available for inspection...and, on and on. And, the FCC takes a lackadaisical approach to enforcement at times. So, some licensees choose to operate in violation of all sorts of rules and hope the FCC either doesn't notice and/or doesn't care. The virtual channel rules are no different. There are a handful of stations that choose to operate outside the rules. They are rolling the dice that nobody complains. If that happens they'll likely end up with a fine and order to map correctly.

If you or someone wanted to file a complaint with the FCC I'm sure they would investigate the matter. But, I'm not sure what if anything would result from doing so at this point. I can't see the FCC forcing them to correctly map to VC 21 as that would cause viewer confusion now. And, It's not affecting a neighboring station. So, Best case (or, worst case depending on how you're point of view) it would likely result in a fine and a retroactive waiver to swap the VC numbers.

As to why they didn't just pull such a move in Charlston, IDK. But, given the scrutiny they were under with the Allbritton deal there was little advantage to fanning the flames and pissing off the FCC by not following the VC rules potentially complicating the deal further.