Sinclair Broadcast Group - General Discussion

Smitha A

What about original stuff? Having a base of recognizable - or even decent - shows feels crucial but relying on established IP forever doesn't feel doable either.

(Also, on that front, DreamWorks Animation likely would have been happy to loan out the DreamWorks Classics trove but of course Comcast owns that now - and the syndie rights to stuff like Rocky & Bullwinkle and Underdog were with the Program Exchange anyway)

I really miss the days when networks programmed Saturday morning cartoons. With the chance that the FCC is going to do away with E/I rules, there just might be a glimmer... but realistically the networks would just boot Litton and give the time back. More infomercial wasteland on a once vibrant daypart... am I getting old?

The Saturday morning cartoons were one of the first targets of the PC police.

We used to have some cool shows and cartoons between the Sid Marty Kroft stuff and the endless parade of crappy Hanna Barbera stuff on NBC.

All us kids wanted to be in a cartoon "space rock" group...and I wanted a monkey for a mascot.

Pass the Freakies please.

it don't get more off-topic than that!

• Like 3

WUTB is channel-sharing with WBFF, according to Rabbitears, but apparently it no longer airs MyNetworkTV. According to WUTB's Q1 Children's TV Report, it currently airs TBD.

Section 73.1201(b) of the FCC rules, which deals with station identification, has this part about the content of station IDs:

So "WBFF 45.2 Baltimore" would be a compliant ID, but "WBFF.2 Baltimore" is not.

Schedule shows it's still carrying a full syndicated schedule; TBD is DT3. And as far as the station ID issue, the calls and COL are all that are needed, so anything that contains the words 'WBFF' and 'Baltimore', no matter what, that's a legal ID. It could read 'This is the secondary subchannel for WBFF, My TV Baltimore', and that's legit. Radio though requires calls then COL just because of the medium.

Thanks. I wasn’t sure.

If Saturday morning TV was released from the grip of E/I requirements, most would probably dump the kids stuff anyways and air either news or infomercials. MAYBE a station or 2 (like PBS or the KidsClick stuff on MNTV) would have it....

Then again...if the whole commercial limits thing was relaxed, you'd have shows like these....

5f15_chocobot.jpg

And if Hanna-Barbera was never sold to Turner by Taft, chances are it could have ended up under Sinclair....

• Like 3

If Saturday morning TV was released from the grip of E/I requirements, most would probably dump the kids stuff anyways and air either news or infomercials. MAYBE a station or 2 (like PBS or the KidsClick stuff on MNTV) would have it....

Then again...if the whole commercial limits thing was relaxed, you'd have shows like these....

5f15_chocobot.jpg

And if Hanna-Barbera was never sold to Turner by Taft, chances are it could have ended up under Sinclair....

Do they have a monkey...

Named Boris?

• Like 4

Do you all feel the Stirr?

I can feel it all the way in Surfridge.

Like there needs to be more crap tv.

To clarify, STIRR is a new OTT streaming service that Sinclair has announced it will launch, which would feature local news and various live and on-demand programming, including acquired television series, movies and sports. The BuzzFeed article about this notes that it could be used to have the company compete with Fox News:

Sinclair, the largest owner of local TV stations in the nation, has long had its sights on creating a national television news platform, but the company has for years denied ambitions to launch a typical cable network rivaling Fox News.

Still, the company has in recent months explored the creation of a new block of conservative programming. Politico reported that Sinclair has spoken with former Fox News staffers, including Greta Van Susteren, though it’s unclear if those discussions are for STIRR specifically.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Like I said in the shoutbox, that sounds like something that belongs on a .2 subchannel, not on cable.

Or perhaps .24, as in 7.24.

(24.7 would work better, but you take what you can get...)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

ABC apparently tried harder to get off of KTVI back in late 1988 or so when the network was upset about KTVI's lousy ratings at the time (plus ditching the 6PM local news for "Geraldo").

Why would KTVI have Geraldo (syndie talk show) in place of a 6 P.M. report?

• Like 1

Why would KTVI have Geraldo (syndie talk show) in place of a 6 P.M. report?

It's surprising to us today how some stations in the middle of the country back then didn't have 6pm news and just did 5 and 10 (KMGH in the early-mid 90s comes to mind; WHBQ also was in that situation near the switch, but that was also a sign of deep neglect).

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
To clarify, STIRR is a new OTT streaming service that Sinclair has announced it will launch, which would feature local news and various live and on-demand programming, including acquired television series, movies and sports. The BuzzFeed article about this notes that it could be used to have the company compete with Fox News:

I know it was announced a month ago, but I think STIRR is a ridiculous name. Is it an acronym for something? I would also assume the entertainment shows and movies will be coming from MGM like Comet & Charge.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Decided to drive around the Sinclair HQ today to see what’s back there. I would have gotten out of the car but there were way too many people in the parking lot at 10:30 AM.

CF9A6914-607F-44F4-B174-2D90EE2D362F.thumb.jpeg.f5299e0d6e63da84a17d4b1915bd7619.jpeg

The satellite dishes are getting a wash down.8E1D554F-846F-4A84-80DE-8002162F2210.thumb.jpeg.a660dc0606fc98d768198b4cde3149af.jpeg

A huge satellite truck. Looked relatively new.

B875D1CE-165E-43B0-9774-F10326790602.thumb.jpeg.0159f912e64fb2713d97cf36c944eecf.jpeg

The satellite farm was getting mowed.C7F0C61A-5B3B-450B-8EE5-229B6C3FDE44.thumb.jpeg.7f85d279f61baf7ffc1e323d0cb8157f.jpeg

Their helipad.92049CA3-2D3F-4C1D-B34F-E56B7478382A.thumb.jpeg.264d2798d900d48b701795b71ecb7873.jpeg

Their ATSC 3.0 Test vehicle. Looks like a live truck with a mast but has a regular receiver antenna and for some reason a camera.

Decided to drive around the Sinclair HQ today to see what’s back there. I would have gotten out of the car but there were way too many people in the parking lot at 10:30 AM.

[ATTACH=full]6471[/ATTACH]

The satellite dishes are getting a wash down.[ATTACH=full]6472[/ATTACH]

A huge satellite truck. Looked relatively new.

[ATTACH=full]6473[/ATTACH]

The satellite farm was getting mowed.[ATTACH=full]6474[/ATTACH]

Their helipad.[ATTACH=full]6475[/ATTACH]

Their ATSC 3.0 Test vehicle. Looks like a live truck with a mast but has a regular receiver antenna and for some reason a camera.

At least you made it out alive.

• Like 3

At least you made it out alive.

I’ve thought of planting a pride flag outfront or maybe a sign for the Democratic Governor on the public area.

Also the big satellite truck based on its license plate is atleast new as they have license plates that weren’t revealed until September 2016.

• Like 3

I’ve thought of planting a pride flag outfront or maybe a sign for the Democratic Governor on the public area.

Also the big satellite truck based on its license plate is atleast new as they have license plates that weren’t revealed until September 2016.

That would be a massive troll

Sounds like something I would do.

• Like 3

@rkolsen thanks for getting the images of Sinclair's HQ. I will say this about them..yes they are cheap on one end of the spectrum..but it is nice to see that they are trying to still be innovative on the engineering side of the house. I know here in Doha, I have passed by the Al Jazeera/bein Media Group's HQ which is a massive gated off compound..but good job.
  • Like 3

It's surprising to us today how some stations in the middle of the country back then didn't have 6pm news and just did 5 and 10 (KMGH in the early-mid 90s comes to mind; WHBQ also was in that situation near the switch, but that was also a sign of deep neglect).

Most stations didn't really all get 5pm shows until the early 1990s in Wisconsin. I still remember when WISN had The People's Court at 5pm leading into WNT up to about 1989.