Sinclair Broadcast Group - General Discussion

Smitha A

Scott from ftvlive.com had a write up about it.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2023/6/3/sinclair-broadcast-group-is-no-more

On 5/31/2023 at 8:37 AM, Big Rollo Smokes said:

I remember that and the "Fox 28 Kids Club" well during my summers in Columbus. (At least Yolanda Harris made out well for herself. But what happened to Suzy? 😆)

Back to topic: yes, Stadium is like the Wish version of ESPN 8: THE OCHO if that were a real thing. But it's obvious what Reinsdorf is going to do. The White Sox/Bulls (and maybe the Blackhawks) will be on their own network in '25 and Comcast can wind down NBC Sports Chicago (though I'm sure some would prefer the return of those teams to WGN-TV).

During the Yolanda /Gabe era on NewsCenter on ABC6. Suzi came on and did some health reports for a couple of years. It was 2002-04/05 and left. Some on said she was sister or sister in law to Shawn Ireland. I remember Suzi on FOX 28 Kids' Club.

3 hours ago, Breaking News said:

Scott from ftvlive.com had a write up about it.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2023/6/3/sinclair-broadcast-group-is-no-more

During the Yolanda /Gabe era on NewsCenter on ABC6. Suzi came on and did some health reports for a couple of years. It was 2002-04/05 and left. Some on said she was sister or sister in law to Shawn Ireland. I remember Suzi on FOX 28 Kids' Club.

Yes, Susie Gilbert, which I believe is her real name, and Shawn Ireland, which is not her real name (I believe it's Pam Gilbert), are sisters.

Which begs the question, what did they call Shawn Ireland at work? Did they call her Shawn or did they call her Pam? Calling her by her stage name in real life is kind of weird, but if they call her by her real name, they might screw up on the air.

Incidentally, I've seen signed checks from the actor Eddie Albert signed Eddie Albert, even though his real name was Edward Albert Heimberger. There's a Heimberger Road in Fairfield County and it's named after his dad's side of the family. Even though Eddie Albert wasn't from here, his dad was.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

Yes, Susie Gilbert, which I believe is her real name, and Shawn Ireland, which is not her real name (I believe it's Pam Gilbert), are sisters.

Which begs the question, what did they call Shawn Ireland at work? Did they call her Shawn or did they call her Pam? Calling her by her stage name in real life is kind of weird, but if they call her by her real name, they might screw up on the air.

Incidentally, I've seen signed checks from the actor Eddie Albert signed Eddie Albert, even though his real name was Edward Albert Heimberger. There's a Heimberger Road in Fairfield County and it's named after his dad's side of the family. Even though Eddie Albert wasn't from here, his dad was.

She was always known as Shawn Ireland from her radio days and when she was on FOX28's Good Day. 

• Like 1

Fun fact:

Some of the people who rose through the ranks of Sinclair to corporate-level jobs cut their teeth at WBFF in Baltimore. 

So while they worked on shows like Captain Chesapeake back in the day, they now hold some corporate-level job over the hundreds of stations they run!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QUGMVYIHvA

Del Parks is now the President of Technology for Sinclair.

Dwight Weems is now the Director of Creative Services for Sinclair.

Edited by tyrannical bastard

Stadium also airs Minor League Baseball Wed, Sat, & Sun I'm guessing that WXSP will have to find something new on .2 channel 178 on Spectrum in Kazoo whenever the White Sox & Bulls owner takes over soon. WXMI Fox17 Kids Club Miranda was the face of Fox17 before their was a 10PM News in Jan 1999 and the show was Fast Forward I watched that from time to time Sat at 12PM. I met Miranda at Kalamazoo County Fair in summer of 91 she was handing out Garfield bookmarks going into the fair.

Miranda now works for Wood TV since 2005 or 2006 has a segment on 8 West Miranda Where You Live which was 30 minute show for many years on the weekends did daily for 2 or 3 years but Nexstar just cut to the final 10 minutes of 8 West in 2020 or 2021. 

Edited by Megatron81

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight's newscasts on KIMA-29 was Scott Stovall at KEPR combining Tri-Cities, Yakima AND Lewiston. No local news on KIMA OR KLEW. With this and Friday newscasts being combined with Tri-Cities, it seems like the end is near for these two CBS affiliates in eastern WA/north ID.

Jake Taylor is still listed on the KIMA page, at least.

On 6/5/2023 at 7:24 AM, Megatron81 said:

Stadium also airs Minor League Baseball Wed, Sat, & Sun I'm guessing that WXSP will have to find something new on .2 channel 178 on Spectrum in Kazoo whenever the White Sox & Bulls owner takes over soon. WXMI Fox17 Kids Club Miranda was the face of Fox17 before their was a 10PM News in Jan 1999 and the show was Fast Forward I watched that from time to time Sat at 12PM. I met Miranda at Kalamazoo County Fair in summer of 91 she was handing out Garfield bookmarks going into the fair.

Miranda now works for Wood TV since 2005 or 2006 has a segment on 8 West Miranda Where You Live which was 30 minute show for many years on the weekends did daily for 2 or 3 years but Nexstar just cut to the final 10 minutes of 8 West in 2020 or 2021. 

Maranda actually joined WOOD-TV in 2001!

Yakima news has been relatively normal the past few nights. It could have been Jake gone for some other reason and no substitute reporter available. Or Sinclair is cutting back the local news output to 3 days a week? Given everything going on in other markets - hard to say.

I'm assuming this is the team actually purchasing time on KJZZ rather than Sinclair having the direct rights (though still holding marketing rights), which allows much more flexibility with the contract overall than they had with AT&TSN.

Edited by mrschimpf
  • Like 4

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Are.. are you seeing this?

So for context, this is the new look KNIN (owned by Marquee Broadcasting, co-owned by Scripps) that doesn’t look like it should be. They used SINCLAIR.

Oh, and it’s because the newscasts are now produced by KBOI, you guessed it, a Sinclair station.

Screenshot 2023-10-05 at 7.24.34 PM.png

Edited by CoopInTheHouse
Missed a spot.

3 hours ago, CoopInTheHouse said:

Are.. are you seeing this?

So for context, this is the new look KNIN (owned by Marquee Broadcasting, co-owned by Scripps) that doesn’t look like it should be. They used SINCLAIR.

Oh, and it’s because the newscasts are now produced by KBOI, you guessed it, a Sinclair station.

Screenshot 2023-10-05 at 7.24.34 PM.png

After it acquired the station earlier this year, Marquee had planned to launch a standalone news department for KNIN, which would have given Boise four television news departments for the first time since 2011, when KTRV shut down theirs not long after it lost the Fox affiliation to KNIN during the network’s reverse comp disputes with several sub-60 affiliates (KTRV, then owned by Block, was one of the only non-Nexstar/Mission stations affected).

This new news share agreement with KBOI, either indicates they’re putting those plans on hold for a while or have called them off entirely.

Edited by T.L. Hughes

Sinclair is starting up another diginet "The Nest"

https://tvnewscheck.com/programming/article/sinclair-to-launch-the-nest-broadcast-network/

Basically, Sinclair is trying their hand at "TrueReal" which Scripps/Katz folded earler this year.

The channel will replace "Stadium" on the broadcast stations that carry it. 

I also came to discover, that Sinclair divested most of their stake to Silver Chalice back in May, while still supplying some programming to the network

I really think Sinclair's only hope is that someone gets re-elected in 2024.  And that all of his supporters will funnel in the "dark money" to keep the lights on and the messages flowing.  Other than that, this company is a zombie walking trying to cash in on trends that have little to do with TV.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
incomplete post
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Sinclair is starting up another diginet "The Nest"

https://tvnewscheck.com/programming/article/sinclair-to-launch-the-nest-broadcast-network/

Basically, Sinclair is trying their hand at "TrueReal" which Scripps/Katz folded earler this year.

The channel will replace "Stadium" on the broadcast stations that carry it. 

I also came to discover, that Sinclair divested most of their stake to Silver Chalice back in May, while still supplying some programming to the network

I really think Sinclair's only hope is that someone gets re-elected in 2024.  And that all of his supporters will funnel in the "dark money" to keep the lights on and the messages flowing.  Other than that, this company is a zombie walking trying to cash in on trends that have little to do with TV.

Sounds like Discovery channels stuff.  Why bother?

• Like 2

But, “as we looked at our business, it became increasingly clear that from a regulatory perspective, broadcasting is not in a good position,” facing far-less-regulated competitors such as Big Tech and Big Media, Ripley said.

That's mostly your problem, Mr. Ripley. Regulators and other groups have no desire to work with Sinclair because of their behavior over the years.

• Like 8

WXSP .2 will become The Nest in 13 days since they air Stadium since Feb of this year replacing Cozi TV. Unless WWMT wants there .3 to be The Nest they air TBD on the .3. Kinda surprised that Sinclair has let there diginets go on the rivals wouldn't they want to put those networks on WWMT subchannels? What Scripps does with their did diginets?     

• 2 weeks later...