Sinclair Broadcast Group - General Discussion

Smitha A

2 hours ago, VHSgoodiesWA said:

KDRV and KOBI are celebrating. A lot of channel 10 viewers will come back to them.

The walls are closing in on KIMA, I'm sure. I've said it for years, eventually that tired, old building will be demolished, everyone will move to KEPR, and local Yakima news will cease to exist. The must-runs and out-of-market stories are destroying this station from the inside, while KVEW and KND...ahem! NonStop Local, continues to improve.

If that happens, Jake Taylor could just join Scott Stovall at the anchor desk in Pasco. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if the factor keeping 29 on the air *IS* Alan Sillence...a nearly 30-year career on sports and still going strong with his coverage of local high school teams. The other stations don't come close. KVEW doesn't even do sports for the most part. NonStop Local combines Tri-Cities and Yakima, so on a busy fall Friday night, there's not as much video from HSFB games in our area (but tons from the Richland/Kennewick/Pasco area teams).

I'm surprised that the Tri-Cities stations have replaced Yakima ones as the originators of newscasts, instead of the other way around. How long has that been the case?

For nearly 15 years now. The growth in Tri is crazy, from both westsiders (i.e. Seattle area) and from out-of-state. New housing developments popping up weekly. Not necessarily $300-400K budget homes either. Plenty of McMansions up on the hill, too. The area saw a 21% increase in population between 2010 and 2020, while Yakima only gained 6%. Nearby Hermiston, OR is jumping in population too (nearly 20,000 live there).

KNDO's studios shut down around the same time as KAPP. They had dueling studios on S 24th Ave, near the airport. They sent everyone to Tri-Cities except for a multimedia journalist at a tiny downtown sales office for each station. This would have been during the recession (2008, 2009). That's when KAPP dropped to the 2.5 minute newscast that is seen at 11PM.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, VHSgoodiesWA said:

For nearly 15 years now. The growth in Tri is crazy, from both westsiders (i.e. Seattle area) and from out-of-state. New housing developments popping up weekly. Not necessarily $300-400K budget homes either. Plenty of McMansions up on the hill, too. The area saw a 21% increase in population between 2010 and 2020, while Yakima only gained 6%. Nearby Hermiston, OR is jumping in population too (nearly 20,000 live there).

KNDO's studios shut down around the same time as KAPP. They had dueling studios on S 24th Ave, near the airport. They sent everyone to Tri-Cities except for a multimedia journalist at a tiny downtown sales office for each station. This would have been during the recession (2008, 2009). That's when KAPP dropped to the 2.5 minute newscast that is seen at 11PM.

Interesting. I think the only way Morgan Murphy could reinstate 35 minute 11pm newscasts for KVEW & KAPP would be if Sinclair pulled KEPR & KIMAs in favor of National Desk.

I don't understand how that could have affiliations for both CBS and NBC in Gainesville, and that this does not provide enough critical mass to be able to afford a newscast.

"Gainesville's CBS4 to cease local broadcasts, staff laid off by Sinclair"

https://www.gainesville.com/story/news/2023/05/02/sinclair-shuts-down-local-gainesville-tv-station-lays-off-employees/70174013007/

2 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

I don't understand how that could have affiliations for both CBS and NBC in Gainesville, and that this does not provide enough critical mass to be able to afford a newscast.

"Gainesville's CBS4 to cease local broadcasts, staff laid off by Sinclair"

https://www.gainesville.com/story/news/2023/05/02/sinclair-shuts-down-local-gainesville-tv-station-lays-off-employees/70174013007/

Combination of WCJB-TV being a 500 lb elephant in the market, and Gainesville being between Orlando and Jacksonville... and WJXT out of Jacksonville providing decent coverage. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, elfuego35 said:

Combination of WCJB-TV being a 500 lb elephant in the market, and Gainesville being between Orlando and Jacksonville... and WJXT out of Jacksonville providing decent coverage. 

They also have WOGX, which is semi satellite of WOFL

• Like 3

Forgot to mention that WOGX’s newscast is actually simulcast of WOFL with Fox51’s own open and own bug. This means that WCJB will now be the only local based newscast in Gainsville

Edited by LTSC1980

Technically, Sinclair only provides services to both WNBW and WGFL under a master services agreement.  WNBW is owned by MPS Media and operated by New Age Media, and WGFL is owned by New Age Media.

Back in 2013 Sinclair tried to acquire them, but there were too many conflicts in several of their markets, so they worked out in an arrangement to where either service agreements were started or non-license assets were moved or acquired.  This is how the FOX affiliation moved from WDSI to WTVC 9.2 in Chattanooga as well as in Tallahassee where it moved from WTLH to WTWC 40.2.

It's basically a complicated spiderweb so Sinclair can be involved without owning the stations outright.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
Updated info
  • Like 3

Even KXLY is a strange duck for a rather large market, also owned by Morgan Murphy. They don't have news at 11pm on Saturday nights, but do have 11pm news on Sundays...I wonder why? Guessing because Saturday is a dead zone for broadcast ratings?

I'm not sure how many are watching the nightly Friends reruns on KAPP/KVEW however. It leads into Jimmy Kimmel Live!

Before 2022, KAPP aired JKL earlier than any other Pacific time ABC affiliate. It came on at 11:06PM, nearly a half-hour before the other late-night talk shows on NBC/CBS (possibly taped from east coast feed?) I wonder if ABC told them to knock it off.

13 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

https://tvnewscheck.com/uncategorized/article/sinclair-1q-total-revenue-down-40/

Revenue is down 40%, but that is almost exclusively due to the RSN's being a serious anchor on the company. Without them, revenue is down about 5%.

It's only an anchor on paper. It's a separate entity owned by Sinclair and others. I doubt that Sinclair was either pulling much money out of the RSNs (because they didn't have much money to distribute) or putting much money into them. The banks and people who bought the bonds are the ones eating the debt, or at least that's my educated guess.

• Like 3

Sounds like Bally couldn't come to terms with the Phoenix Suns and they are going back to OTA, which I think is going to be great for all sports. Independent TV stations are a wasteland of crappy syndicated programming. Back in the old days sports was one of their prime focuses. It'll be nice to return to that again.

https://arizonasports.com/story/3522489/bally-sports-arizona-owner-diamond-sues-suns-mercury/

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

Like who's going to watch a University of Akron basketball game?

Look at the sidebar and ticker with extremely inane and degenerate gambling figures and statistics from Bally. Outside of direct friends or family and university students that are only there to watch the game, their viewership is either the lowest of the low bettors, oddballs who refuse to watch paid sports networks for some reason, or sports bars that need to fill one of their eighteen screens during the day.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

Stadium is garbage. The only thing I ever see on there are these lesser universities nobody has ever heard of. Like who's going to watch a University of Akron basketball game?

Ironically, Akron's basketball team is probably the best sport they have. 🤣  

As for the rest, it proves your point exactly.   The school actually cut their baseball team a few years back, and they've actually debated about dropping out of the Mid-American conference to go FCS.  They're one of those schools that falls short of ticket sales, so they have to buy up all of the unsold tickets just to maintain attendance standards to be an D1 FBS school.

And to actually watch Akron, it's usually buried on ESPN+ (along with the rest of the MAC) while Stadium truly airs more of the FCS teams and conferences we've likely never heard of!

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

Look at the sidebar and ticker with extremely inane and degenerate gambling figures and statistics from Bally. Outside of direct friends or family and university students that are only there to watch the game, their viewership is either the lowest of the low bettors, oddballs who refuse to watch paid sports networks for some reason, or sports bars that need to fill one of their eighteen screens during the day.

The seedy underbelly of sports is out in the open. It didn't really occur to me that  gambling was driving much of the interest in sports until the internet came around and gambling became more omnipresent.

• Like 2

Sinclair always had a fetish for leveraging content. It makes sense if they use three stations' resources to do something one station couldn't do on its own, but if you're going to take the same cheap product and just eliminate duplication by doing it once, I don't know if that benefits you much.

Here's an example of something from the 1980s when they tried to do a kids show called "Take 1" for all three stations they owned.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

Sinclair always had a fetish for leveraging content. It makes sense if they use three stations' resources to do something one station couldn't do on its own, but if you're going to take the same cheap product and just eliminate duplication by doing it once, I don't know if that benefits you much.

Here's an example of something from the 1980s when they tried to do a kids show called "Take 1" for all three stations they owned.

I remember that and the "Fox 28 Kids Club" well during my summers in Columbus. (At least Yolanda Harris made out well for herself. But what happened to Suzy? 😆)

Back to topic: yes, Stadium is like the Wish version of ESPN 8: THE OCHO if that were a real thing. But it's obvious what Reinsdorf is going to do. The White Sox/Bulls (and maybe the Blackhawks) will be on their own network in '25 and Comcast can wind down NBC Sports Chicago (though I'm sure some would prefer the return of those teams to WGN-TV).

• Like 2

On 4/12/2023 at 10:56 AM, MD TV said:

Sinclair signed a deal with Youtube TV to add the Tennis Channel, T2 (a free Tennis Channel spinoff channel), Charge! and TBD starting June 1st (during week 1 of the French Open). The deal also extends carriage of their CBS and MyNetwork TV stations:

https://sbgi.net/sinclair-broadcast-group-announces-distribution-agreement-with-youtube-tv-to-add-carriage-of-tennis-channel-t2-charge-and-tbd/

They didn't say anything in the release about paying extra for the add-on with the Tennis Channel.

2 hours ago, Big Rollo Smokes said:

Behind a paywall.

The first three paragraphs:

Sinclair Broadcast Group completed a restructuring Thursday in which it dropped “broadcast” from its name in a bid to highlight its non-broadcast business.

The Hunt Valley-based television station owner finalized the reorganization through a share exchange in which Sinclair Inc. became a public holding company of Sinclair Broadcast Group and its subsidiaries. Those include Sinclair Television Group and the struggling Diamond Sports Group, which owns regional sports networks and airs games for 14 Major League Baseball teams. Diamond Sports filed for bankruptcy protection in March, burdened by more than $8 billion in debt.

The newly created Sinclair also is the parent of a new subsidiary called Sinclair Ventures, which includes the Tennis Channel and other businesses.

3 hours ago, mre29 said:

The first three paragraphs:

It was widely reported on other sites yesterday morning when it was completed, after first being announced several months ago - this article includes a link to the original announcement with the plan to create a holding company.

https://www.nexttv.com/news/sinclair-broadcast-group-officially-becomes-holding-company-sinclair

Meanwhile, Sinclair/Diamond Sports lost a battle in Bankruptcy Court where they were ordered to pay full rights fees to four MLB teams.  They have the option of doing what they did in San Diego and just walk away.  MLB plans to make sure clubs that lose their Diamond Sports channel coverage will get 80% of the fees between ad revenue and support from MLB during the current season.  MLB has indicated that they are prepared to bid for the broadcast rights themselves, just like they did originally.  They also acknowledge they understand the changing RSN model from linear to linear/streaming. This is from a report in The Athletic late yesterday, which is behind a paywall unless you subscribe to The Athletic or The NY Times.