Sinclair Broadcast Group - General Discussion

Smitha A

19 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Dear Lord, if Sinclair can't even afford to outsource a newscast to another market, then they are either seriously in debt, inept (cough cough Chris Ripley) or are that hell bent on making TND their primary source of news...

Option C... Both.

WTVG and WTOL are certainly taking their opportunity here as well...

19 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

KTVL is a shocker.  Were they a truly independent operation? Or are they one of those stations (like KHQA) that's farmed out to another market? 

KRCR had taken up more of the slack for them after the Bonton deal brought them under the SBG banner since KOBI and KDRV are the giants there.

Most Sinclair stations are very low rated, and the political slant probably has a role too. People - both conservative and liberal - don't watch local news for political talk.

It might be an opportunity for KOBI/KOTI to bulk up, as they were the traditional dog station in the market but now would go up to #2 by default. I know they don't have a lot of money as an independent NBC affiliate, but if someone bigger took a chance on them, they could have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

Edited by GoldenShine9

On 4/17/2023 at 1:34 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

Steve Harvey: Name a show that's replacing NBC 15 News at Noon and Gulf Coast Today.

The National Desk!

strike.jpg

(Nope, another hour of Family Feud on top of the hour at 4: 00pm AND the 6:30 airing on WEAR!)

No surprise, as I believe Sinclair is one of the biggest supporters of Steve's Feud, and their stations were key in its rising ratings. But still, it shows how limited syndication choices thanks to newscast overload. Its kinda too late for Sinclair to turn back the clock in terms of giving a varied schedule of offerings, but hey, kudos on them for leading the way in a potential (and in some eyes much needed) local news crash.

• Like 1

With all of the stations expanding their newscasts, the syndication inventory has to land somewhere.

That's probably why stations  like WBNX are doing so well, despite losing the CW and being tied to the controversial Ernest Angley ministry.

And with third wheels like WPMI in Mobile, the syndication is "technically" programmed by the licensee (Deerfield) so it adds a little credence to it being something NOT tied to Sinclair.  But then again, Sinclair is the one who runs the station and sells the ads....

54 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

With all of the stations expanding their newscasts, the syndication inventory has to land somewhere.

That's probably why stations  like WBNX are doing so well, despite losing the CW and being tied to the controversial Ernest Angley ministry.

And with third wheels like WPMI in Mobile, the syndication is "technically" programmed by the licensee (Deerfield) so it adds a little credence to it being something NOT tied to Sinclair.  But then again, Sinclair is the one who runs the station and sells the ads....

I sense WPMI losing the NBC affiliation when it comes up...I could see WALA taking it back on 10.2.

2 hours ago, LTSC1980 said:

WNWO is ending its newscast (which is produced by WSBT) on May 12. Replacement: TND.

https://www.13abc.com/2023/04/27/local-newscasts-ending-nbc-24-toledo/?outputType=amp

WNWO is the poster child of an also-ran station.  Aside from it's days as Malrite/Raycom station, it's been the 5th station in a 2 station market.

Also in a place like Toledo, it's quite telling when descendants of a single company have circled through EVERY station in the market.

Raycom dumped WUPW for WNWO (Malrite merger)

Raycom sells WNWO to Barrington for WTOL (Liberty merger)

Gray dumps WTOL to Tegna to keep WTVG (Raycom merger)

Securing NBC at the time may have been a bright spot, but that may have made it more vulnerable to outside competition from Detroit and Lima.   As an ABC affiliate, and the Detroit stations on cable, WDHO/WNWO didn't have a prayer.

And lest we forget Sinclair's extended blackout with Buckeye Cable that even extended into the 2014 Winter Olympics.  With CBET and CBC coverage readily available, there were plenty of nails in the coffin already....

• Like 6

13 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Most Sinclair stations are very low rated, and the political slant probably has a role too. People - both conservative and liberal - don't watch local news for political talk.

It might be an opportunity for KOBI/KOTI to bulk up, as they were the traditional dog station in the market but now would go up to #2 by default. I know they don't have a lot of money as an independent NBC affiliate, but if someone bigger took a chance on them, they could have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

I don't see any political slant on the Channel 6 News. Their problem is more production value than anything else. There's just something about the way they produce those national segments that makes them look like something from a small market TV station. They need to work on the lighting and make up more. They're a big company, they should pay attention to these kinds of details.

First time I saw that Sharyl Attkisson show, it looked like the kind of local public affairs show you'd see on TV in the 1980s, visually speaking that is. Just as one example. Mark Hyman's segments and that Jewish guy they had as a commentator also have a cheesy quality to them.

I don't find anything wrong with the content though, if presented properly.

Edited by DirtyHarry

8 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

I don't see any political slant on the Channel 6 News. Their problem is more production value than anything else. There's just something about the way they produce those national segments that makes them look like something from a small market TV station. They need to work on the lighting and make up more. They're a big company, they should pay attention to these kinds of details.

First time I saw that Sharyl Attkisson show, it looked like the kind of local public affairs show you'd see on TV in the 1980s, visually speaking that is. Just as one example. Mark Hyman's segments and that Jewish guy they had as a commentator also have a cheesy quality to them.

I don't find anything wrong with the content though, if presented properly.

On the local level, some of the Sinclair stations pump out some really excellent journalism.  WSYX has taken a more harder edge "On Your Side" advocacy approach and other stations are very critical of corruption, wasted tax dollars, and being "a voice for the voiceless".

On the corporate end, yes some of their products are very lacking.  It's like you're taking a middle market newscast and simulcasting it to whatever market can't afford to put one of their own anymore.  It's basically all the "must runs" that put Sinclair on the map as everyone's most hated company they've never heard of.

And I really believe there is something going on with Sinclair.   Especially tied to the Diamond Sports bankruptcy.   Every time the judge forces them to make a payment of some kind, another round of layoffs begins in some market they can barely keep the lights on to begin with.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

On the corporate end, yes some of their products are very lacking.  It's like you're taking a middle market newscast and simulcasting it to whatever market can't afford to put one of their own anymore.  It's basically all the "must runs" that put Sinclair on the map as everyone's most hated company they've never heard of.

The other problem with those must runs is that they are not produced in such a way where they flow seamlessly with the rest of the newscast. It's very jarring, like you almost changed channels.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, DirtyHarry said:

The other problem with those must runs is that they are not produced in such a way where they flow seamlessly with the rest of the newscast. It's very jarring, like you almost changed channels.

It's like those dumb "Brand Power" ads...the segments don't feel natural, don't match the tone intended, and are usually just a signal to roll around the channels for a bit while some guy in suburban Maryland tries and fails to appeal to someone who just wants to know the local news, not some minor thing on the other side of the country they don't care about.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

... some guy in suburban Maryland tries and fails to appeal to someone who just wants to know the local news, not some minor thing on the other side of the country they don't care about.

You nailed it. It always has some "freedom fries" fake right wing outrage feel to it. I'm a right winger, but I don't like schlocky TV, nor do I like being jerked around with obvious propaganda and phony outrage.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Again, if Sinclair’s having financial problems that they have to cut newscasts, cut entire news departments and cut outsourcing agreements, they need to either start selling stations to provide an infusion of cash or, at least, completely spin-off Diamond Sports Group if it’s becoming an albatross around Sinclair’s neck. It seems it’s becoming increasingly difficult for the company to maintain the large portfolio it has, while dealing with the financial problems with Diamond Sports that may be responsible for the cuts. Any more cuts to news departments, and we’ll probably see members of Congress send a critical letter demanding an explanation.

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/26/2023 at 2:54 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

Columbus may as well be their crown jewel, it's probably their most profitable market, and now with WSYX posting sizable ratings gains against WCMH and WBNS, a place where they are actually winning the ratings. Of course, much of this has to do with the free fall of both WCMH and WBNS over the years.

WKRC seems to have taken a dive a few years ago, but they may have recovered...

WSYX has always been very profitable before Sinclair bought the station, and was one of few Sinclair profitable stations before Sinclair purchasing Freedom, Allbritton, Fisher and other stations from other groups.

WKRC is still tops in Cincinnati. WCPO should be worry about WLWT, because some newscast WLWT beats WCPO. 

This is going to be the year that many 3rd and 4th rate stations are going to be dropping news and not just Sinclair, it’s going to be Scripps, Nexstar and the other big groups. In Milwaukee WTMJ and CBS58 are only averaging 5,000 viewers in the demo at 10, WISN and WITI is about 14,000-15,000. When I came to Milwaukee in 2000 WTMJ had a 15 rating and wisn was about 10, viewership taste has change thought out the years but Milwaukee has always had one of the higher viewership of local news in the country.

This is a business first, many of these 3rd or 4th rate stations are only breaking even at best and likely losing money on news. There is no company that’s going to come to buy and bunch of money losing operations with almost no viewers. The stations that have dropped local news so far had  no viewers in the first place, basically no one will notice.

Edited by doublejman69
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Concerned 1

3 hours ago, Breaking News said:

WSYX has always been very profitable before Sinclair bought the station, and was one of few Sinclair profitable stations before Sinclair purchasing Freedom, Allbritton, Fisher and other stations from other groups.

WKRC is still tops in Cincinnati. WCPO should be worry about WLWT, because some newscast WLWT beats WCPO. 

WTVN-TV was a huge money-maker even back in the days when it was owned by Taft.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

I was within their signal pattern in Iowa within the last year playing with my laptop tuner. Their news was so awful it was unwatchable. They had some old guy paired with some wet behind the ears news girl. It looked creepy. It was not a good newscast and it's a shame. You would think a CBS / Fox affiliate would have enough critical mass to put together a decent newscast.

1 minute ago, DirtyHarry said:

I was within their signal pattern in Iowa within the last year playing with my laptop tuner. Their news was so awful it was unwatchable. They had some old guy paired with some wet behind the ears news girl. It looked creepy. It was not a good newscast and it's a shame. You would think a CBS / Fox affiliate would have enough critical mass to put together a decent newscast.

I know KTIV is the ratings leader there, and I believe KCAU is well ahead of KMEG/KPTM as well.

• Like 1

I understand Sinclair wants to hoard as many stations as possible but WUTV and WPGH are two stations I could easily see being sold off. In the words of a certain meme, Get somebody else to do it. 

They need to sell certain stations while they're ahead. Selling KBSI isn't enough. Some more markets have to go.  

Edited by ColtFromGulfcoast
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

I understand Sinclair wants to hoard as many stations as possible but WUTV and WPGH are two stations I could easily see being sold off. In the words of a certain meme, Get somebody else to do it. 

They need to sell certain stations while they're ahead. Selling KBSI isn't enough. Some more markets have to go.  

They will never sell out in Pittsburgh, that was their second market. Baltimore Pittsburgh and Columbus are where this company started and the success they had in those three markets is what built this company.

Edited by DirtyHarry
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, DirtyHarry said:

They will never sell out in Pittsburgh, that was their second market. Baltimore Pittsburgh and Columbus are where this company started and the success they had in those three markets are what built this company.

Well,they're gonna have to sell at least 15 markets. If they still wanna be a company at all. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

WTVN-TV was a huge money-maker even back in the days when it was owned by Taft.

It definitely was no doubt about that. Always wish Taft would of kept the station. I've always felt WSYX needed someone better than Sinclair running the ship.

3 hours ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

Well,they're gonna have to sell at least 15 markets. If they still wanna be a company at all. 

WNWO would be great under{ Nexstar} and even those big market stations like KOMO & KATU {Those stations would do even better under Gray}

It would be even better if KPLR was the ABC affiliate in St.Louis.

I agree they need to sell and WPMI deserve a much better owner.