Sinclair Broadcast Group - General Discussion

Smitha A

2 hours ago, Myron Falwell said:

MediaGeneral was doomed as a station group when Soo Kim and Deb McDermott forcibly took control of the chain, merged it into LIN and THEN tried to merge it into Meredith before dumping it all in Nexstar’s lap.

When Media General took over the 4 NBC O&Os they wanted to dump, they got in way over their heads.  They sold off KIMT, KWCH, WIAT and WDEF to make the down payment.  They later sold their smallest stations to Hoak (WMBB & KALB),  Nexstar (WJWB/WCWJ) and Morris (WTVQ) to get some more cash.  WJAR was probably the only station that didn't tank under their control.  They didn't move the needle at WNCN, and succeeded in tanking WCMH and WVTM (while WIAT climbed out of the basement for the first time EVER after their divestiture).  This, the recession, and their unholy devotion to newspapers until Soo Kim came knocking (when they unloaded them to Warren Buffett and the Tampa Tribune to another party) was what led Media General to nearly filing for bankruptcy along with a series of layoffs and furloughs, even after others recovered from the economic crisis of 2008 and 2009... 

While NBC treated their smaller markets like garbage, the product still outranked whatever Sinclair was putting out at the time.  And yes, WCMH got lots of hand-me-downs from NBC itself.  I believe even their studio cameras were once used for Saturday Night Live in studio 8H at 30 Rock.

Sinclair has always been "profitable" in Columbus.  Having the Buckeyes on WSYX (on both ABC and FOX) has been a windfall for them, and the way they engineered their dominance in the marketplace clearly gives them the edge that WCMH and WBNS have not been able to match.

3 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

You guys aren't going to like my comment, so viewer discretion advised.

hat anchor kid from Toledo has a goofy laugh. He belongs on Channel 6. They are just less formal over there.

Has WSYX ever been number one in the history of Columbus television? I think this has got to be a first.

Also: Kurt Ludlow's ultimate revenge!

The kid from Toledo should of been on the morning news with Angela Ann.  Now the best scenario should of been

Jeff Hogan and Tracey Townsend at 10TV

Yolanda Harris/Kurt Ludlow/Terri Sullivan on 6 On Your side

Yeah I know wishful thinking-

However, no he doesn't belong on 6. His thing is more for the morning news not primetime.  He no Jerry Revish, and with 10TV going from the gold standard to

a broke down Winnebago. You get what you pay for under TEGNA.

Jeff Hogan/ Yolanda Harris would be perfect with Jerry Martz.  I'm ready for them to retire Dom Tiberi. He ones of the last from the past along with Colleen Marshall and Terri Sullivan. Most from back in the day have left local tv news.

I have found no evidence of WTVN or WSYX hitting tops back in the day. 

WTVN was #2 in the mid 70s when ABC was riding high and WCMH was in the gutter.  WBNS of course a very starch and conservative news operation was sitting at #1.

80s very competitive with Doug/Mona from Cleveland.  Michelle Gailiun with Tom Ryan/ Lou Forrest provided a strong #2 beating BNS by couple points at 6/11pm in the late 80s. 

90s ownership woes and talent changes played with WSYX - WCMH and WBNS in the fight of neck to neck at 11pm during NBC's ER/Friends era.

10 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

When Media General took over the 4 NBC O&Os they wanted to dump, they got in way over their heads.  They sold off KIMT, KWCH, WIAT and WDEF to make the down payment.  They later sold their smallest stations to Hoak (WMBB & KALB),  Nexstar (WJWB/WCWJ) and Morris (WTVQ) to get some more cash.  WJAR was probably the only station that didn't tank under their control.  They didn't move the needle at WNCN, and succeeded in tanking WCMH and WVTM (while WIAT climbed out of the basement for the first time EVER after their divestiture).  This, the recession, and their unholy devotion to newspapers until Soo Kim came knocking (when they unloaded them to Warren Buffett and the Tampa Tribune to another party) was what led Media General to nearly filing for bankruptcy along with a series of layoffs and furloughs, even after others recovered from the economic crisis of 2008 and 2009... 

While NBC treated their smaller markets like garbage, the product still outranked whatever Sinclair was putting out at the time.  And yes, WCMH got lots of hand-me-downs from NBC itself.  I believe even their studio cameras were once used for Saturday Night Live in studio 8H at 30 Rock.

Sinclair has always been "profitable" in Columbus.  Having the Buckeyes on WSYX (on both ABC and FOX) has been a windfall for them, and the way they engineered their dominance in the marketplace clearly gives them the edge that WCMH and WBNS have not been able to match.

I've always hated how Sinclair owned both ABC & FOX because in a top 30 market. I always wish River City and Sinclair never merge. I always saw WSYX being owned by Young Broadcasting. I would have love to see a [4] newsroom competition.  Cincinnati and Cleveland has it, and the Columbus market has always been an odd ball. Columbus market bigger than Cincinnati, and it still seems odd.

Media General wasn't bad- honestly the did more good than bad.  Outlet did alot of investment into WCMH during their heyday.  I think with NBC owning the station. It was seen as a network O&O came to Columbus. Which never happened, and a bigger owner than the Wolfe's.   Taft was good in it day, but Channel 6 was owned by Private Equity Group.  {Anchor Media, Continental Ltd, River City}  Sinclair was nothing but some mediocre company from Maryland. Owning a few stations here and there at the time.

Edited by Breaking News
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Breaking News said:

The kid from Toledo should of been on the morning news with Angela Ann.  Now the best scenario should of been

Jeff Hogan and Tracey Townsend at 10TV

Yolanda Harris/Kurt Ludlow/Terri Sullivan on 6 On Your side

Yeah I know wishful thinking-

However, no he doesn't belong on 6. His thing is more for the morning news not primetime.  He no Jerry Revish, and with 10TV going from the gold standard to

a broke down Winnebago. You get what you pay for under TEGNA.

Jeff Hogan/ Yolanda Harris would be perfect with Jerry Martz.  I'm ready for them to retire Dom Tiberi. He ones of the last from the past along with Colleen Marshall and Terri Sullivan. Most from back in the day have left local tv news.

I have found no evidence of WTVN or WSYX hitting tops back in the day. 

WTVN was #2 in the mid 70s when ABC was riding high and WCMH was in the gutter.  WBNS of course a very starch and conservative news operation was sitting at #1.

80s very competitive with Doug/Mona from Cleveland.  Michelle Gailiun with Tom Ryan/ Lou Forrest provided a strong #2 beating BNS by couple points at 6/11pm in the late 80s. 

90s ownership woes and talent changes played with WSYX - WCMH and WBNS in the fight of neck to neck at 11pm during NBC's ER/Friends era.

I've always hated how Sinclair owned both ABC & FOX because in a top 30 market. I always wish River City and Sinclair never merge. I always saw WSYX being owned by Young Broadcasting. I would have love to see a [4] newsroom competition.  Cincinnati and Cleveland has it, and the Columbus market has always been an odd ball. Columbus market bigger than Cincinnati, and it still seems odd.

Media General wasn't bad- honestly the did more good than bad.  Outlet did alot of investment into WCMH during their heyday.  I think with NBC owning the station. It was seen as a network O&O came to Columbus. Which never happened, and a bigger owner than the Wolfe's.   Taft was good in it day, but Channel 6 was owned by Private Equity Group.  {Anchor Media, Continental Ltd, River City}  Sinclair was nothing but some mediocre company from Maryland. Owning a few stations here and there at the time.

Dispatch always held the advantage thanks to their early ownership of assets.  That way, they could own EVERYTHING (radio, tv, newspapers,  banks, and shoe stores) hence the WBNS call letters. 

By the time the FCC rolled out ownership bans on shared assets (radio/newspaper/tv), WBNS was grandfathered in and so was Taft's ownership of the WTVN stations.  That lasted until Taft's restructuring, which broke that advantage, and WTVN-TV was spun off as WSYX.  Nationwide couldn't have picked them up because of their WNCI/WRFD ownership, unless they sold them off.  They hitched their fortunes to radio and opted to sell their existing TV stations to Young.  Ironically, in the breakup of GreatAmerican/Citicasters, WKRC benefited from the union of the TV station with Jacor's radio sisters (and later Clear Channel).

Columbus was always under-stationed and didn't really expand beyond 4, 6 and 10 until Sinclair's predecessor signed on WTTE.  Later came WSFJ, and WWAT/WWHO.  Sinclair's aggressiveness found a way to "keep" WTTE when they bought WSYX, and later took advantage of when LIN was selling WWHO with their JSA/SSA with Manhan Media.

I really think Nexstar is going to take the CW with them when their agreement with WWHO (and other Sinclair stations) is up.  By putting it on 4.2, it's their chance to compete against Sinclair with another channel that can counterprogram WSYX and WBNS, and compete against "FOX 28" in primetime news.

Had Gannett still been the owner of the Tegna stations, I think they would be slightly better off than they are today.  WKYC is a disaster under Tegna, when under the earlier guidance of Gannett, rose to the top of the Cleveland market for the first time in decades.  Gannett instead decided to become the Nexstar of the newspaper industry, acquiring virtually all of the major newspapers in Ohio except for Cleveland, Toledo, Dayton and Youngstown.  Their consolidation (under GateHouse) really consolidated their presence in places like Akron and Columbus, buying up the community newspapers (Dix) and the Beacon Journal (from Black Press), and using their existing Gannett holdings in Central Ohio to supplement their purchase of the Dispatch from the Wolfes.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I don't know if this is just people blowing smoke, but it makes sense. My understanding was that NBC bought Outlet because they were trying to figure out if they could move WJAR to Boston. They didn't care about any of the other stations. Once they figured out they wouldn't be able to move WJAR, they sold.

• Confused 1
  • Thought-Provoking 1

10 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Had Gannett still been the owner of the Tegna stations, I think they would be slightly better off than they are today.  WKYC is a disaster under Tegna, when under the earlier guidance of Gannett, rose to the top of the Cleveland market for the first time in decades. 

How is WKYC a “disaster” under Tegna when the ratings position hasn’t changed much, if at all, since their 2019 revamp? Scott Jones’s hilariously biased anti-Tegna blog posts don’t count.

10 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Gannett instead decided to become the Nexstar of the newspaper industry, acquiring virtually all of the major newspapers in Ohio except for Cleveland, Toledo, Dayton and Youngstown.  Their consolidation (under GateHouse) really consolidated their presence in places like Akron and Columbus, buying up the community newspapers (Dix) and the Beacon Journal (from Black Press), and using their existing Gannett holdings in Central Ohio to supplement their purchase of the Dispatch from the Wolfes.

Gannett split for only two reasons:

1. NBCO forced Gannett to assign quite a few of the Belo stations into shell groups until the split allowed them to buy those stations outright.

2. Who in their right mind wants to buy a newspaper? It’s nonsensical other than for the historical archives and digital assets.

And you think Gatehouse/Gannett is bad? The Plain Dealer, owned by the Newhouse family since the late 1960s, has only FOUR union employees on staff. Up to the early 2010s, it was a damn good paper. The Newhouses busted the union and destroyed it in favor of their Cleveland.com digital property, which has always been substandard ever since they launched it in 1998.

Edited by Myron Falwell
  • Concerned 1

3 hours ago, Myron Falwell said:

How is WKYC a “disaster” under Tegna when the ratings position hasn’t changed much, if at all, since their 2019 revamp? Scott Jones’s hilariously biased anti-Tegna blog posts don’t count.

WKYC wasn't broke when Tegna decided to "fix it".  They tried the standard Tegna approach for a short while before deciding to reinvent the wheel for the purposes of chasing younger viewers.  They've backed off in some ways, but they trashed the station in 2019.

There's still some good Tegna stations behind the music and graphics....or in WNEP's case, just the graphics.  Then there's ones like WWL that have fallen due to other moves forced upon them (like clearing CBS This Morning/CBS Mornings) and WVUE's ability to do what WWL used to do.

And stations like WBNS, that have been owned forever by the founding family who invested heavily in them, only to be assimilated into a company that radically changes the look and feel of the station.  This turns stations like WSYX into the "stable" station, and Sinclair's long investment into it is finally paying off.

4 hours ago, Myron Falwell said:

And you think Gatehouse/Gannett is bad? The Plain Dealer, owned by the Newhouse family since the late 1960s, has only FOUR union employees on staff. Up to the early 2010s, it was a damn good paper. The Newhouses busted the union and destroyed it in favor of their Cleveland.com digital property, which has always been substandard ever since they launched it in 1998.

Believe me, I know the disaster that is Advance/Newhouse.  You think the Plain Dealer/Cleveland.com is bad?  There's AL.com, which was THREE papers covering Huntsville (Times), Birmingham (News) and Mobile (Press-Register).  They pioneered the 3-day printing schedule a decade ago.  They will stop printing newspapers at the end of February.

They did a decade ago what Tegna did to WKYC.  It's basically a Birmingham operation with a Mobile bureau with a reporter or two for the entire area.  There's a good story here and there, but it's turned into a meme factory that floods the internet with shareable content instead of actually covering the news.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

WKYC wasn't broke when Tegna decided to "fix it".  They tried the standard Tegna approach for a short while before deciding to reinvent the wheel for the purposes of chasing younger viewers.  They've backed off in some ways, but they trashed the station in 2019.

With all due respect, this reads like a typical Scotty Jones “tHiS iS tEgNa” old-man-yelling-at-cloud post which got his blog banned from this forum’s Discord server in the first place.

PROVE to me with ratings data that the station was “trashed” because it’s Doing Things Different And That Is Bad, otherwise it’s just conjecture. My 69-year old mother watches all the local news (with divided preferences to WKYC and WJW) and she doesn’t care about the ownership of either. Whenever I see people, including some who live in other parts of the freaking country and would never want to see Cleveland, go on their typical “WKYC ruined themselves with that logo…” or “when they call themselves ‘channel 3’, I’ll care about them”, it comes off as ill-informed and silly and makes the TV hobbyist community look out of touch. (“No, it’s the children who are wrong!”)

The cold hard truth is that the vast majority of television news viewers are 25–54 female; the demographics here and on Discord do not match up with that in any way. It’s for a variety of reasons but it’s not like we’re doing anything to make either platform all that more palatable to them.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Dispatch always held the advantage thanks to their early ownership of assets.  That way, they could own EVERYTHING (radio, tv, newspapers,  banks, and shoe stores) hence the WBNS call letters. 

By the time the FCC rolled out ownership bans on shared assets (radio/newspaper/tv), WBNS was grandfathered in and so was Taft's ownership of the WTVN stations.  That lasted until Taft's restructuring, which broke that advantage, and WTVN-TV was spun off as WSYX.  Nationwide couldn't have picked them up because of their WNCI/WRFD ownership, unless they sold them off.  They hitched their fortunes to radio and opted to sell their existing TV stations to Young.  Ironically, in the breakup of GreatAmerican/Citicasters, WKRC benefited from the union of the TV station with Jacor's radio sisters (and later Clear Channel).

Columbus was always under-stationed and didn't really expand beyond 4, 6 and 10 until Sinclair's predecessor signed on WTTE.  Later came WSFJ, and WWAT/WWHO.  Sinclair's aggressiveness found a way to "keep" WTTE when they bought WSYX, and later took advantage of when LIN was selling WWHO with their JSA/SSA with Manhan Media.

I really think Nexstar is going to take the CW with them when their agreement with WWHO (and other Sinclair stations) is up.  By putting it on 4.2, it's their chance to compete against Sinclair with another channel that can counterprogram WSYX and WBNS, and compete against "FOX 28" in primetime news.

Had Gannett still been the owner of the Tegna stations, I think they would be slightly better off than they are today.  WKYC is a disaster under Tegna, when under the earlier guidance of Gannett, rose to the top of the Cleveland market for the first time in decades.  Gannett instead decided to become the Nexstar of the newspaper industry, acquiring virtually all of the major newspapers in Ohio except for Cleveland, Toledo, Dayton and Youngstown.  Their consolidation (under GateHouse) really consolidated their presence in places like Akron and Columbus, buying up the community newspapers (Dix) and the Beacon Journal (from Black Press), and using their existing Gannett holdings in Central Ohio to supplement their purchase of the Dispatch from the Wolfes.

Or, could Nexstar purchase WWHO outright? It'd be like a mini-reunion between them and WCMH, who managed WWHO until Viacom ownership

• Like 1
  • Thought-Provoking 1

3 minutes ago, ColDayNews said:

Or, could Nexstar purchase WWHO outright? It'd be like a mini-reunion between them and WCMH, who managed WWHO until Viacom ownership

Why would Manham/Sinclair want to sell it? If Nexstar strips WWHO of the CW, they could still run the station as a diginet tree from a server in a broom closet at the WSYX studios. Put Comet on 53.1 or something.

WWHO is the 3.0 station for the Columbus market.  All they would have to do to keep the other subchannels status quo is switch 53.1 to something else.

Since 3.0 is such a coordinated effort between broadcasters (especially Sinclair & Nexstar), there has to be a level of cooperation and sharing.  Nexstar taking away the CW from others may be a problem, but they still would have to "make nice" with Sinclair because of all of the hosting and sharing of channels.

I"m surprised the FCC hasn't chimed in on how a station like WWHO could be exempt from ownership limits since it is a host station and that their originating program streams are effectively digital subchannels on other stations in the market.

6 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

WWHO is the 3.0 station for the Columbus market.  All they would have to do to keep the other subchannels status quo is switch 53.1 to something else.

Since 3.0 is such a coordinated effort between broadcasters (especially Sinclair & Nexstar), there has to be a level of cooperation and sharing.  Nexstar taking away the CW from others may be a problem, but they still would have to "make nice" with Sinclair because of all of the hosting and sharing of channels.

I"m surprised the FCC hasn't chimed in on how a station like WWHO could be exempt from ownership limits since it is a host station and that their originating program streams are effectively digital subchannels on other stations in the market.

I think next Nexstar and Sinclair cooperate with each other in general. I know Nexstar runs a Sinclair station somewhere in Illinois I believe. And Nexstar has owned Antenna TV and this TV for now how long now? They are still both on Sinclair signals. They seem to have a you scratch my back I scratch yours relationship.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 1:17 AM, tyrannical bastard said:

From what I understand, the SNL cameras were an NBC tradition. All of the O&Os get equipment from 30 Rock as NBC replaces it over time. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

I think next Nexstar and Sinclair cooperate with each other in general. I know Nexstar runs a Sinclair station somewhere in Illinois I believe. And Nexstar has owned Antenna TV and this TV for now how long now? They are still both on Sinclair signals. They seem to have a you scratch my back I scratch yours relationship.

MGM took over operational responsibility for This TV from Tribune after the Nexstar deal was completed in 2019, and then sold the network to Allen Media Group (along with LightTV, now TheGrio) in 2020. 

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

When did Fox move from WTTE to WSYX 6.3?

Enough time has passed. Time for Fox 28 to become Fox 6, unless they plan on returning to 28 at some point.

My theory was that they were trying to jam TBD down the throats of cable companies by forcing it as 28.1. Or maybe this all has to do with all the shuffling around that had to occur for 3.0 since both ABC and Fox are at 720p. Maybe it just made more sense bandwidth wise to have them on the WSYX signal.

4 minutes ago, DirtyHarry said:

Enough time has passed. Time for Fox 28 to become Fox 6, unless they plan on returning to 28 at some point.

My theory was that they were trying to jam TBD down the throats of cable companies by forcing it as 28.1. Or maybe this all has to do with all the shuffling around that had to occur for 3.0 since both ABC and Fox are at 720p. Maybe it just made more sense bandwidth wise to have them on the WSYX signal.

Nothing but a way to have total control of "Fox 28" under Sinclair. 

Columbus does not have and never had enough stations to permit a legal duopoly (or even an LMA) which is what WTTE is/was.   Sinclair traded up to WSYX when they purchased River City Broadcasting, and since WTTE had to be divested, instead of selling it to another party, they sold it to CEO David Smith's mother (as Glencairn) and after she passed, her trust controls Cunningham Broadcasting.   Then when LIN divested WWHO, they sold it to Stephen Mumblow, who let Sinclair run his station as well.

• Confused 1

YIKES!

So, at 5:00 p.m. out of 50,000 adults, 13,000 of them are age 25 to 54. That means 37,000 of them are old geezers (as consumer spenders, that is).

At 6:00 p.m., out of 67,000 people, 17,000 are age 25 to 54. The remaining 50,000 are old geezers.

Yikes again!

• Thought-Provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just read something about the Bally's sports networks and their looming bankruptcy. Disney paid $20 billion for them, Sinclair paid $10 billion and now they are worth $3 billion.

Well, Sinclair really paid $1.4 billion, the banks get stuck with the rest.

Cable penetration went from 91% down to the 50%'s. At the end of the day, nobody wants to pay for this stuff anymore. People just ignored the cost because it was buried in the bundle. I think sports needs to go back to Free TV. It would lift the value of all these worthless independent stations by returning some good programming back to them.

Edited by DirtyHarry

3 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

I think sports needs to go back to Free TV. It would lift the value of all these worthless independent stations by returning some good programming back to them.

With MLB taking broadcasting in-house with the bankruptcy (as they have claimed they are prepared to do), I see deals with Fox O&O's, for example, to put MLB on the MyNets (WFTC in Minneapolis, KUTP Phoenix, KDFI Dallas, etc.)

I get that it's speculation (and apologies in advance) But it's a deal I can actually see being made, to @DirtyHarry's point.

Edited by GodfreyGR
  • Like 1