Sinclair Broadcast Group - General Discussion

Smitha A

It doesn't really shock me that somehow Sinclair would buy a show about Hot Wheels for their kids block...and then forget to keep the Hot Wheels commercials out of the Hot Wheels show!

And this isn't like those cases with syndicators and Kids WB where it was mostly inadvertent and good faith just forgot to get the ad out, before broadcast automation let you see an entire log for a show. Sinclair was the producer and distributor and 100% screwed up here.

This also ensnared Nexstar, but again, they have the logs and could've easily blocked them out, but just didn't. It's no wonder kid's broadcast TV doesn't go anywhere near toy franchises any longer.

• Like 1

It's an outdated rule Sinclair & Nexstar should take The FCC to court and not pay the fine either I wouldn't if I owned either Sinclair or Nexstar. And if I was on The FCC I'd have voted for no fine Jessica abused her power as she knows this clearly is an outdated rule that needs to go like the DINO. And I blame this rule why there is no Sat morning cartoons on FOX, ABC, NBC, CBS, The CW anymore I know even if the outdated rule does go bye, bye, bye broadcast isn't going to air Sat morning cartoons. Which Sat morning cartoons would be better than the nature/E/I crap that no one watches. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

They can forget to take Hot Wheels ads out of a Hot Wheels show, but they'll never forget to keep KDNL out of the ABC affiliation renewals. 😭

(not that it makes a difference now since the alternative is Nexstar)

• Haha 4

As long as dumb companies keep putting their stupid money into sports gambling efforts (even as Fubo tapped out and Gannett's Tipico partnership bombed) and Bally needs stuff to air without paying Jimmy Hanlin and Natalie Gulbis to show off Putt-Putt courses, Stadium will be fine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/31/2022 at 3:52 PM, Adam MadMan said:

In other Sinclair news, they're considering launching another diginet due to growing ratings for their existing ones.

(Well, Comet, Charge, and TBD are growing; Stadium looks more or less dead in the water AFAIK)

TBD? Who watches that channel? All I see on there are stupid YouTube videos.

On 10/31/2022 at 6:10 PM, mrschimpf said:

As long as dumb companies keep putting their stupid money into sports gambling efforts (even as Fubo tapped out and Gannett's Tipico partnership bombed) and Bally needs stuff to air without paying Jimmy Hanlin and Natalie Gulbis to show off Putt-Putt courses, Stadium will be fine.

Don't kid yourself. 75% of the interest and hype about sports has ALWAYS been about gambling. They're just making things formal now.

• Like 3

I've known gambling ads for years as a fan of international cricket and rugby, which is inescapable, but at least there, a regulatory authority is there to limit the most absurd things like 'free 'money' to bet, which is actually just site scrip you can't turn into cash very easily'.

Here we just have a wild west where outside of states that know what they're doing because they regulate ring sports, states barely regulate take and the word of companies who likely have a bunch of staff known for breaking fingers. It's like the mid-90s where greasy guys bought time on USA Saturday mornings to prognosticate, except they now shave and talked women into joining the racket.

Edited by mrschimpf
  • Like 1

TV is going to have a real problem because of momentum depending on where you get most of your programming. I mostly stream these days, so that's what the TV stays on. I don't go to over the air TV a lot because that's a few extra buttons you have to push. They need to figure out a way to make this all seamless so that it flows together.

Likewise with cable. I should be allowed to purchase a package without all the local TV channels to save from paying all those other stupid fees, but have a seamless way to go back and forth between cable and over the air.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, TheRob said:

The Bally name certainly has the reverse Midas touch. It seems like everything with Bally attached to it ends up going bankrupt.

I don't really care about this issue at all. I don't care that sports channels won't be around to gouge cable customers. I don't care that teams will get stiffed of their rights fees.

They all deserve each other.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, CLETVFan said:

WSYX is #1 in the morning in Columbus.  WCMH is #2 and WBNS is #3.  First and third place used to be in reverse years ago.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid032nHvAtQgbuLWwhZCMkHJ8wmcj6h2WNoRaPN5L1GVGpkcLoDUZgKbbHQ8zhU4LyD6l&id=100051645912630&mibextid=Nif5oz

And that is not even counting that WSYX is also #1 at 5pm and 6pm as well. Columbus is starting to get interesting now.

I guess the new saying is that 4 and 6 is far greater than 10!

Oh how the mighty have fallen.  It's clear that Tegna is the final nail in 10TV's coffin.

I have to wonder how much better (or worse) WTOL is faring in Toledo against WTVG.  There's no hope for WNWO now that it's a South Bend operation pumping "local news" into Toledo.

Edited by tyrannical bastard

Give the people what they want. I remember when WSYX numbers in the morning were trash.  Now, now the folks at Ten TV is in the shock of it life.

They still have a promo saying they're #1 at 11pm

However, it great to be #1.  Let hope WSYX is paying staff like they're #1.  WBNS paid Yolanda Harris more $$$. WSYX should of pony up those dollars for her to stay.

Very interesting how the tide has turned.

wsyx.am.jpg

1 minute ago, DirtyHarry said:

I think their news is now coming out of Pennsylvania or did that switch back to South Bend?

South Bend (WSBT) originates news for both WNWO in Toledo and WOLF in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton with the SAME ANCHORS.

Logistically, it makes sense since WNWO has a 6 and 11 while WOLF only has a 10pm.

On the other hand, WSYX is the crown jewel in Sinclair's fold, probably even more so than their flagship, WBFF in Baltimore.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Breaking News said:

WSYX should of pony up those dollars for her to stay.

Why when they are number one without her? 

Columbus was the second or third market Sinclair was in and they still treat it like a flagship. Next best thing to local ownership is a big corporate owner that hasn't forgotten its roots.

1 minute ago, tyrannical bastard said:

On the other hand, WSYX is the crown jewel in Sinclair's fold, probably even more so than their flagship, WBFF in Baltimore.

Yeah, but now they have stations like KOMO and WJLA, so I am very surprised that it retains crown jewel status. My theory has always been that Columbus is a profitable Market because there are few overlapping signals that eat away at their viewership. That's been good for us. Even far-away corporate ownership has treated these stations well over the years.

4 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

South Bend (WSBT) originates news for both WNWO in Toledo and WOLF in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton with the SAME ANCHORS.

Oh, okay. I knew they were the WOLF anchors, but I thought they were based in PA.

Just now, DirtyHarry said:

Columbus was the second or third market Sinclair was in and they still treat it like a flagship. Next best thing to local ownership is a big corporate owner that hasn't forgotten its roots.

The irony in that is that WTTE was their second station outside of Baltimore.  They "sold" it to Glencairn/Cunningham right after Sinclair bought River City (and WSYX).

To stay a step ahead of the FCC (and likely the DOJ), they moved "FOX 28' over to WSYX and made Cunningham's station a truly independent operation with no Sinclair programming at all.

In a way, Sinclair's growth in Columbus has stayed constant and grown a little, while WCMH and WBNS tanked under their corporate regimes.  WCMH"s damage was under Media General and the destruction of WBNS was largely at Tegna's behest after DECADES of local ownership under Dispatch.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

The irony in that is that WTTE was their second station outside of Baltimore.  They "sold" it to Glencairn/Cunningham right after Sinclair bought River City (and WSYX).

To stay a step ahead of the FCC (and likely the DOJ), they moved "FOX 28' over to WSYX and made Cunningham's station a truly independent operation with no Sinclair programming at all.

In a way, Sinclair's growth in Columbus has stayed constant and grown a little, while WCMH and WBNS tanked under their corporate regimes.  WCMH"s damage was under Media General and the destruction of WBNS was largely at Tegna's behest after DECADES of local ownership under Dispatch.

I don't think Media General was so bad. They had financial problems but their on air product was respectable, and they still treated WCMH and WFLA like their flagships. Outlet was a great owner. Everybody says the NBC years were good, but I wasn't a fan. When you're too cheap to build a new news set and have to get one second hand from Louisville, that's pretty shoddy. Likewise with their cameras. I think I remember them bragging about new cameras they were getting being used models from Rockefeller Center. LOL

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, DirtyHarry said:

I don't think Media General was so bad. They had financial problems but their on air product was respectable, and they still treated WCMH and WFLA like their flagships. Outlet was a great owner. Everybody says the NBC years were good, but I wasn't a fan. When you're too cheap to build a new news set and have to get one second hand from Louisville, that's pretty shoddy. Likewise with their cameras. I think I remember them bragging about new cameras they were getting being used models from Rockefeller Center. LOL

MediaGeneral was doomed as a station group when Soo Kim and Deb McDermott forcibly took control of the chain, merged it into LIN and THEN tried to merge it into Meredith before dumping it all in Nexstar’s lap.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

Why when they are number one without her? 

They were #2 with her and the ratings keep going up.  She got her big pay check over at 10TV. I was told people told her not to go over there, but she saw the legacy of the station. Not only that, but she was popular with the public.  When you have a big Q score they don't snatch you away from the competition.  Angela Pace she wanted more $$$ at WCMH back in the day.  10TV under the Wolfe's snatch her up and 10TV over took News4 in 1992.   Andrea Cambern as well got a paycheck too.  in 1981, when Channel 6 was owned by Taft and was WTVN.  Michelle Gailiun got a nice big paycheck as well too.

Sinclair is known for not paying. WJLA is in a top 10 market, and Leon Harris and Maureen Bunyan who brought lots to the table didn't get renewed because they made too much under Sinclair's eyes. Let be honest.

If she had stayed and at least was making 150K. She would of been at #1 on WSYX instead of making double the amount now sitting at #2 at BNS,.

Edited by Breaking News
  • Like 1