Sinclair Broadcast Group - General Discussion

Smitha A

1 hour ago, TheRob said:

Rumor is SBG stations were hit with another cyber attack this weekend. I don't know if it will affect newscasts.

Word is via the Discord server it has impacted a few of the Sunday morning news here's what some of the Sinclair stations are addressing this 

Radars such as WWMT and WNWO have been down too and when I checked the website I couldn't access the full blown radar only the interactive radar was accessible. 

In Mobile/Pensacola:

WEAR is in their 10pm newscast without breaks and graphics. Lots of weather segments and national packages (clearly being played from YouTube as you can see the play controls pop up in the beginning)  As soon as the news was over, the station went to the Charge! feed.

WPMI is in Sunday Night Football...may just be the network feed from NBC.

WFGX and WJTC are both in the Charge! feed.  Normally it's WEAR 3.3.

All of the subchannels are up and running, except for Dabl on 44.3.

They had a pretty bad local meltdown a few months ago (unrelated) that basically took down the Master Control hub in Pensacola that controls all 4 stations for a few hours.  Just network and studio feeds, with a slate otherwise.

On 7/1/2021 at 11:48 PM, JCB4TV said:

Probably, but Scripps is already in all three of these markets.

WTWC/WTLF could go to Nexstar or Cox (other stations in that area are either owned by Scripps or Gray)  , WXLV can go to Scripps (other 3 stations in that area are Hearst/Tegna/and Nexstar) , and KDNL (if they get serious about a news department) could be great for Hearst.

2 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

In Mobile/Pensacola:

WEAR is in their 10pm newscast without breaks and graphics. Lots of weather segments and national packages (clearly being played from YouTube as you can see the play controls pop up in the beginning)  As soon as the news was over, the station went to the Charge! feed.

WPMI is in Sunday Night Football...may just be the network feed from NBC.

WFGX and WJTC are both in the Charge! feed.  Normally it's WEAR 3.3.

All of the subchannels are up and running, except for Dabl on 44.3.

They had a pretty bad local meltdown a few months ago (unrelated) that basically took down the Master Control hub in Pensacola that controls all 4 stations for a few hours.  Just network and studio feeds, with a slate otherwise.

WPMI has been experiencing major technical difficulties here's an example of one of the tweets I came across regarding WPMI 

6 hours ago, dman748 said:

WPMI has been experiencing major technical difficulties here's an example of one of the tweets I came across regarding WPMI 

Sounds like they are only able to air the raw network feeds.  A telltale sign of that for NBC is that when a local break is supposed to happen, you'll see black, then a color-changing NBC peacock with the occasional NBC sounder.

KEYE/Austin prerecorded the 10p news Sunday, presumably to avoid an on-air dumpster fire. They were open and told viewers it was prerecorded because of technical difficulties. The news segment was recorded at a different time than the weather segment so the news anchor and met were never on camera together. No L3s, no prompter, no opens. 

This morning, still no L3s, prompter or opens. They have weather graphics and commercials are running. No traffic maps. Assuming they’re affected too. 

Last newscast captured by NewsOn was Saturday at 10p.

FTVLive is reporting Sinclair’s master control systems are now not able to ingest new content which, he predicts, could mean some stations go completely black if this isn’t resolved soon. 

I was streaming the NFL games yesterday on Paramount+ via WRGB and there were no local commercials, they all just showed the CBS slate. I was wondering why that was, and this must have been why. Right around 7:30 ET in the final minutes of the DAL/NE game, it cut away from the game and went to the CBSN stream until 60 Minutes started. I thought that was a Paramount Plus issue but maybe it was also related to this (I saw people on Twitter who had the same issue with the KEYE on Paramount+ and Hulu Live).

ETA: Streaming the station now, it's CBS Mornings instead of Kelly and Ryan. Then as of 10am, just color bars with the text "NEW YORK TX" instead of Let's Make a Deal.

Edited by ScottJ

On 9/12/2021 at 10:03 PM, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

That was MG/Lin, not MG/Nexstar. 

Hearst should have taken WJAR, honestly. 

Nah, Comcast should take back WJAR and make it an satellite station for WBTS, covering both the Greater Providence and Greater Boston area news

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 months later...

I actually think this Sinclair DTC app is going to flop.

For one thing there's an MLB Lockout going on and the second thing, there the AVOD and SVOD field is already saturated with so many streaming services that people can choose from, there's so many of them that I think it would get lost in the crowd of so many streaming apps and my best guess of how much the Sinclair DTC app would be around $30.

Yeah not very many people (even the hardcore sports fans) would fall for that.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, dman748 said:

I actually think this Sinclair DTC app is going to flop.

For one thing there's an MLB Lockout going on and the second thing, there the AVOD and SVOD field is already saturated with so many streaming services that people can choose from, there's so many of them that I think it would get lost in the crowd of so many streaming apps and my best guess of how much the Sinclair DTC app would be around $30.

Yeah not very many people (even the hardcore sports fans) would fall for that.

Yeah...I can't see it succeeding just because of that price tag. That's too expensive for one or two channels at most. (Thank God my team is well out of market so I could just watch on the league packages...😂🤣)

Edited by Yankees4life

7 hours ago, Yankees4life said:

Yeah...I can't see it succeeding just because of that price tag. That's too expensive for one or two channels at most. (Thank God my team is well out of market so I could just watch on the league packages...😂🤣)

I wonder if this may supersede the league packages?  If you want to see the NBA, then this is your only option…. Too many unmentioned details.

2 hours ago, TheSpeedKing said:

The sad part is that NBC pretty much doesn't like Sinclair, but if they attempt to disaffiliate from these stations a la WHDH, it might cause massive confusion. So NBC is stuck with Sinclair.

The same with ABC; the window where they could have fled KDNL for anywhere else in St. Louis is officially closed. They don't renew that empty shell of a station, they simply end their relationship with that network. The era where the networks were able to strong-arm affiliates for proper terms/programming quality has passed.

Also, NBC is stuck on the third or fourth place station in many of those Sinclair markets, and the few high-placing stations they do have are from old owners who never wanted anything to do with SBG but ended up with them under sketchy circumstances.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2022 at 2:24 PM, mrschimpf said:

The same with ABC; the window where they could have fled KDNL for anywhere else in St. Louis is officially closed. They don't renew that empty shell of a station, they simply end their relationship with that network. The era where the networks were able to strong-arm affiliates for proper terms/programming quality has passed.

Also, NBC is stuck on the third or fourth place station in many of those Sinclair markets, and the few high-placing stations they do have are from old owners who never wanted anything to do with SBG but ended up with them under sketchy circumstances.

Well given the very questionable financial situation Sinclair is currently in—and it’ll get even worse with no MLB this year—the networks may be simply biding their time.

• Like 1

Pretty much all of the NBC affiliates were under a contract that expired on December 31st.  So there was a timespan of a week or two when the stations were not tied to a deal.

Basically the same thing that happened with Nexstar and some of their CBS stations, except that NBC renewed with everyone, and there wasn't a WJMN-like defection that left a station without a network.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Sinclair's Comet diginet ran a Planet of the Apes movie marathon last weekend, and somehow got 1.5 million average views on it.

I'm not sure how exactly they're counting those numbers (I've noticed Litton pulling some monkey business with their Saturday morning E/I fare, adding up the total viewers of all the shows rather than an average), but whatever the case, Sinclair's not passing up the opportunity to brag.

"While it's been widely recognized that viewers are leaving cable for OTT, it's important to  note viewers are also moving to new, free OTA broadcast networks, and 1.5 million viewers  is proof of this,”  said Adam Ware VP, Growth Networks and Content at Sinclair.  

On 4/12/2022 at 12:46 PM, Adam MadMan said:

Sinclair's Comet diginet ran a Planet of the Apes movie marathon last weekend, and somehow got 1.5 million average views on it.

I'm not sure how exactly they're counting those numbers (I've noticed Litton pulling some monkey business with their Saturday morning E/I fare, adding up the total viewers of all the shows rather than an average), but whatever the case, Sinclair's not passing up the opportunity to brag.

That's better numbers than Nexstar's NewsNation for sure....

Maybe they should run a Matlock marathon?  It could easily double or possibly even triple their current numbers...

And if they make it available on OTT...oh wait...

• Like 2

On 4/12/2022 at 1:46 PM, Adam MadMan said:

My viewing these days is about 80% OTT and 20% OTA. I cut the cable last year and never looked back. I wonder how they're managing all the bandwidth though. Tonight, a lot of people in Ohio were watching Newsmax because of the town hall with JD Vance and Renacci.

Seems like a real waste of bandwidth to be sending all those bits to everybody's home individually. I would imagine they have some kind of software available where they only have to send them once and they go to everybody watching Newsmax without having to send separate packets?