Sinclair Broadcast Group - General Discussion

Smitha A

WRLH is probably bound under contract of their affiliation to air a newscast...so they will take what they can get from WWBT.  
If not, Fox goes bye-bye and Sinclair is SOL in Richmond.

It makes it more awkward since Sinclair has been denied THREE TIMES from getting WTVR.  First from the required divestiture when Lincoln merged with Raycom, then the failed Sinclair-Tribune merger, and because of that, being blacklisted from acquiring the Tribune leftovers in the Nexstar merger, letting WTVR go to Scripps

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 1

I see no reason why it wouldn't stay. SBG gets the benefit of having a news product with zero capital/employee costs and WWBT gets money to air a 10pm newscast on Fox rather than a lower-rated CW station.

Remember, besides WWBT/WUPV, other Sinclair-Gray arrangements include WKYT/WDKY and KFVS/KBSI. I don't see SBG eliminating those or the WISC/WMSN or WHO/KDSM arrangements.

If any of those were to end, Sinclair would almost certainly use the South Bend model and farm out the anchoring/production to a sister station. I don't think we'll ever see Sinclair build a full-fledged startup operation. You just hire a few low-paid MMJs and voila! You now have a "news operation."

On 10/8/2019 at 12:01 AM, AJClementeFan69 said:

I see no reason why it wouldn't stay. SBG gets the benefit of having a news product with zero capital/employee costs and WWBT gets money to air a 10pm newscast on Fox rather than a lower-rated CW station.

Remember, besides WWBT/WUPV, other Sinclair-Gray arrangements include WKYT/WDKY and KFVS/KBSI. I don't see SBG eliminating those or the WISC/WMSN or WHO/KDSM arrangements.

If any of those were to end, Sinclair would almost certainly use the South Bend model and farm out the anchoring/production to a sister station. I don't think we'll ever see Sinclair build a full-fledged startup operation. You just hire a few low-paid MMJs and voila! You now have a "news operation."

The WHO/KDSM arrangement and the KFVS/KBSI arrange also involve companies who now has a duopoly in the market and they might instead want the advertising dollars for themselves rather than Sinclair in those cases, especially with big political dollars coming in 2020. If Gray acquired another station in Lexington or Morgan Murphy acquired another station in Madison, I could certainly see them moving the news over. Plus I doubt it would be Sinclair pulling the plug there, since Gray (or Morgan Murphy or Nexstar) does the heavy lifting and having an additional station allows them to move it to their own signal.

Agreed re: farming out to sister stations. WRLH could easily run its news out of WJLA.

15 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

The WHO/KDSM arrangement and the KFVS/KBSI arrange also involve companies who now has a duopoly in the market and they might instead want the advertising dollars for themselves rather than Sinclair in those cases, especially with big political dollars coming in 2020. If Gray acquired another station in Lexington or Morgan Murphy acquired another station in Madison, I could certainly see them moving the news over. Plus I doubt it would be Sinclair pulling the plug there, since Gray (or Morgan Murphy or Nexstar) does the heavy lifting and having an additional station allows them to move it to their own signal.

WHO has never been in a duopoly,

Edited by oknewsguy

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2019 at 3:49 PM, Conrad said:

Yes, but WHO produces KDSM's local news.

Now you see why I got mixed up because the way it was written it made it sound as if WHO and KDSM were in a duopoly even though in reality they're not.

• 1 month later...

Bumping up this thread:

Remember I said a while ago that Gray's WWBT is now using the graphics - currently used on WDBJ, WITN and others - and started using 615 Music's Sinclair News Package (the Curves version) on Sinclair's WRLH? Well, I took some pics from my phone and here they are (remember, WRLH doesn't stream their newscasts online). The weather graphics on both WWBT and WRLH, by the way, are currently used on WDTV 5 (CBS) in north-central West Virginia (Morgantown/Clarksburg/Fairmont/Weston). Plus, I forgot to mention the newscasts on WRLH began airing from WWBT's news set a few months ago before the graphics and music switch. Check them out, y'all.

(NOTE TO SELF: crop the pics)

20191126_220244.jpg

20191126_220254.jpg

20191126_220620.jpg

20191126_220551.jpg

20191126_220616.jpg

20191126_220625.jpg

20191126_221829.jpg

20191126_224105.jpg

Edited by tw-804
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Late entry in "Most Unexpected Story of the Year": Sinclair is dropping its Boris Epshteyn must-runs this Friday. (Also, Ameshia Cross, who worked on Obama's 2012 reelection campaign.)

“We have to shine a light on our value proposition every quarter hour, in every newscast," the company said in a statement to its staff. "Therefore, we will be expanding our local investigative journalism footprint in our daily newscasts. We are excited to dedicate more time in our newscasts to report on critical and relevant issues.” “To allot additional airtime for this storytelling, we will be ending the commentary segments this Friday, Dec. 13, featuring Ameshia Cross, and Boris Epshteyn,” the memo continued.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, newsbot said:

In other words, more time for political ads.

I hope all the groups will do the same, including Hearst and Tegna.

This only commits Sinclair to ending a certain type of must-run. Note that Sinclair is committing themselves to more "investigative journalism", not specifically local reporting.

19 hours ago, AmericanErrorist said:

This only commits Sinclair to ending a certain type of must-run. Note that Sinclair is committing themselves to more "investigative journalism", not specifically local reporting.

"Therefore, we will be expanding our local investigative journalism footprint in our daily newscasts."

Edited by newsbot

2 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

They still have Full Measure with Sharyl Atkisson and America This Week with Eric Bolling.....

does this mean we'll soon see Cooking With Boris?

Allegedly Boris is being reassigned to sales - how, exactly, that will be carried out is anyone's guess.

On 12/11/2019 at 10:56 PM, newsbot said:

In other words, more time for political ads.

I hope all the groups will do the same, including Hearst and Tegna.

Hearst just made a position for Today alum Jeff Rossen's consumer reports and his team. Must-runs aren't going anywhere on Hearst.