Sinclair Broadcast Group - General Discussion

Smitha A

One question on Sinclair's show Full Measure with Sharyl Atkinson. It is on practically no non-Sinclair stations, yet Soledad O'Brien and Greta Van Susteren have been able to get good coverage outside their companies. Does the toxic nature of Sinclair extend down to sales offices?

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

One question on Sinclair's show Full Measure with Sharyl Atkinson. It is on practically no non-Sinclair stations, yet Soledad O'Brien and Greta Van Susteren have been able to get good coverage outside their companies.

It's totally in-house...and even locally on the area Sinclair stations it's usually either in the 'OK it's out of the way' slot before the political talk shows, and in markets with only CW or MyNet it seems to air either very early or late on Sunday nights (WVTV/Milwaukee airs it Sundays at 10pm where Sunday Night Football pretty much scratches its ratings). There's just no point when the show is just posted to YouTube and SBG's digital channels like Stirr can also put it on.

Meanwhile Armstrong Williams gets his show into deep late night...and outside of the before-show app push on the local news app, you wouldn't know they have a Wednesday night show with Eric Bolling they foist onto their station websites.

59 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

One question on Sinclair's show Full Measure with Sharyl Atkinson. It is on practically no non-Sinclair stations, yet Soledad O'Brien and Greta Van Susteren have been able to get good coverage outside their companies. Does the toxic nature of Sinclair extend down to sales offices?

There is something about the production value of their in-house stuff that strikes me as cheesy. I don't know if it's the graphics, the lighting, the intro or what, but there is something about these bits they produce that really get under my skin and it has nothing to do with the content. It just looks small market to me for some reason and Sharyl Atkinson is a pro so her show shouldn't look like this. (Just my opinion.)

Edited by DirtyHarry
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

There is something about the production value of their in-house stuff that strikes me as cheesy. I don't know if it's the graphics, the lighting, the intro or what, but there is something about these bits they produce that really get under my skin and it has nothing to do with the content. It just looks small market to me for some reason and Sharyl Atkinson is a pro so her show shouldn't look like this. (Just my opinion.)

There seems to be a bunch of reasons that they can't get any of their stuff into non-Sinclair markets.

6 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

I don't know if Sinclair even tries to syndicate Sharyl's show.  It's not like it's something useful, like Ring of Honor, which has lucked out in a few markets where Sinclair has no on-air presence.  I'm sure there are netlet stations out there that are just DYING to have such a hard-hitting show of investigative journalism 🤣

At least Weigel carries Greta's new show.  And as for Soledad's show?  It's actually halfway decent.  The free market doing it's thing as good shows are picked up by willing stations....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I don't know if Sinclair even tries to syndicate Sharyl's show.  It's not like it's something useful, like Ring of Honor, which has lucked out in a few markets where Sinclair has no on-air presence.  I'm sure there are netlet stations out there that are just DYING to have such a hard-hitting show of investigative journalism 🤣

At least Weigel carries Greta's new show.  And as for Soledad's show?  It's actually halfway decent.  The free market doing it's thing as good shows are picked up by willing stations....

Speaking of netlets and the free market, I just saw Newsnet for the first time. My first impression is that it's a journalism professional trying to put a newschannel together in his basement. That's not really an insult. It's a good effort but they have a long way to go. 

Unfortunately, they picked the worst LPTV to be on. They have the worst signal, and it looks like it's all leased out. A channel can be down for weeks before they'll do something about it. In the case of Newsnet, the volume is turned down so low you can barely hear anything.

https://yournewsnet.com/

Edited by DirtyHarry

14 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

Unfortunately, they picked the worst LPTV to be on. They have the worst signal, and it looks like it's all leased out. A channel can be down for weeks before they'll do something about it. In the case of Newsnet, the volume is turned down so low you can barely hear anything.

Don't you know you NEVER tell a man with an ugly dog...that his dog is ugly.

Yes it's bush, rough and unpolished, but it's not trying to be anything but a startup all news operation, that has to start somewhere.

I'm totally rooting for these kids and every single crappy cheap Chinese tv transmitters they occupy. These guys KNOW what a budget is because they don't have one....

They trade aluminum cans for satellite time...

They eat Cheerios out of ziplock bags that mom packs for them...She  still has to cut up their meat into little squares, and trim the crust off the bread...

They all get naps...

...and I bet the news director can't even buy cigarettes or a dirty mag until he turns 18.

Besides,

It's fun to watch!

At least some still get an allowance for doing the chores.

Edited by Eat News
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

Speaking of netlets and the free market, I just saw Newsnet for the first time. My first impression is that it's a journalism professional trying to put a newschannel together in his basement. That's not really an insult. It's a good effort but they have a long way to go. 

Not to go totally off topic since this is a Sinclair thread, but it does appear that they're in the midst of expanding their operations: https://www.tvtechnology.com/news/newsnet-breaks-ground-on-new-studio. They're scrappy, but it's an endearing effort and I think they're making good use of the resources they have. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DMA said:

They're scrappy, but it's an endearing effort and I think they're making good use of the resources they have. 

I hear they will be increasing the number of live reports...

...as soon as mom puts more minutes on the cellphones...

image.png.24767fda0f9899ba0ece6c87223360a2.png

Edited by Eat News
The Honey Badger (Narration By Randell) .. https://youtu.be/4r7wHMg5Yjg
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

There seems to be a bunch of reasons that they can't get any of their stuff into non-Sinclair markets.

We all saw this with KidsClick. They certainly tried to get it into as many markets as they could, especially with its deals with This TV and later TBD. But outside of the Sinclair markets, nobody bit. I know a lot of people will guess that it was because stations weren't willing to give their time to a kids' block in the age of Netflix in YouTube (especially when one false move in the advertising department could get them fined), but while that may certainly be the case, I seriously doubt Sinclair's negotiation skill with other station owners helped in that regard.

Children's programming on OTA was dying well before KidsClick happened. As far back as 2002, Fox - having sold Fox Family and basically all of the Fox Kids program library to Disney - scrapped Fox Kids's weekday afternoon block and decided to lease out the Saturday morning block. 4Kids won that contract, of course. (I know 4Kids has never had a good reputation given their butchering, but the alternative was DIC! 🤮)

CBS and ABC's kids' blocks became rerun farms for corporate siblings around that time - I believe that CBS used the Viacom merger as an excuse to break off the deal it had with Nelvana for the CBS Kidshow and replace that with Nick Jr. reruns. But somehow, Kids' WB! managed to straggle into the year 2008...on The CW! There was hardly any cross-pollination with Cartoon Network either!

Local stations don't want children's programming other than what they're federally mandated to run anymore. They can only run twelve minutes of ads per hour, they can't run ads during the shows featuring characters from the shows (the cereal-hawking past of many cartoon stars wouldn't fly now!), and they probably wouldn't be able to get good-quality product anyway. As I've said before, 90% of the worthwhile content is owned by Disney, WarnerMedia, Viacom, and NBCUniversal. I can't imagine any of those companies are too eager to open up the vaults to over-the-air broadcasters they don't own - although the arrival of The Flintstones to MeTV indicates that attitudes might be changing. That show is a traditional all-ages bedrock, yes, but it's a highly valuable property owned by a company that long preferred to keep it "in the family," going back to when Turner controlled it. But as pay TV continues to erode, and even the future of the Boomerang streaming service seems cloudy, the childrens'/family entertainment behemoths may be looking into alternatives.

I can't imagine Sinclair gets along with other station owners very well anyway. They strike me as blustering, selfish, and not particularly amenable to collaboration.

• Like 4

On 8/27/2019 at 2:56 PM, DirtyHarry said:

It doesn't help that all of the shows out of Washington seem like they're taped in off-hours to only to air on WJLA as if they're covering their 1982 Sunday morning public affairs obligations. They're using people used to producing local shows that still produce them as if they're local shows (and if Armstrong is taping at WEYI or WPDE, it's public access quality).

4 minutes ago, channel2 said:

Local stations don't want children's programming other than what they're federally mandated to run anymore. They can only run twelve minutes of ads per hour, they can't run ads during the shows featuring characters from the shows (the cereal-hawking past of many cartoon stars wouldn't fly now!), and they probably wouldn't be able to get good-quality product anyway.

At this point, those stations are competing with kid's phones and tablets for their overnight social check-in. The KidsClick lineup was all Euro rejects (look up "Playmobil movie"...they aired the Playmobil show to an audience of crickets, and the distributor is desperate to make that film work in the States), and the cereal manufacturers have long adjusted to all-ages marketing. The days of kid's ads as they were in the 90s are long over.

• Like 1

I'm not even talking '90s so much as the days when Huckleberry Hound, Yogi Bear, and Rocky & Bullwinkle got to flog Kellogg's and General Mills products during their shows! Even Bugs Bunny said "drink Tang, gang" during reruns of LT/MM shorts!

Europe is not an ideal source of content, sadly. A lot of their shows are bland and scrubbed-down so that they have a prayer of working all over the world, since for them the real money is in international sales. Every now and then you get a breakout like Code Lyoko or a show that was actually quite ambitious like Miraculous (which I believe bombed on Nick here before KidsClick picked it up) that nonetheless was run through the blanderizer something fierce.

Of course, the pipeline of anime is quite rich. But developing an overreliance on imported properties that the network/affiliates don't own is risky.

I'm watching the Bengals/Colts game on WSYX. I was curious who the originating station was since there are no station logos on the broadcast so I looked it up. I just thought it was amusing that 4 of the 6 stations carrying the game are Sinclair stations. (The other two stations are Block.)

PRESEASON WEEK 4: COLTS AT BENGALS | THURSDAY, AUG. 29 AT 7 P.M.
TV Affiliates and Information

Cincinnati: WKRC (CBS Channel 12)
Dayton: WKEF (ABC Channel 22)
Columbus: WSYX (ABC Channel 6)
Lima: WLIO (FOX Channel 8.2)
Lexington: WDKY (FOX Channel 56)
Louisville: WDRB (FOX Channel 41)

On 8/29/2019 at 8:36 PM, DirtyHarry said:

I'm watching the Bengals/Colts game on WSYX. I was curious who the originating station was since there are no station logos on the broadcast so I looked it up. I just thought it was amusing that 4 of the 6 stations carrying the game are Sinclair stations. (The other two stations are Block.)

PRESEASON WEEK 4: COLTS AT BENGALS | THURSDAY, AUG. 29 AT 7 P.M.
TV Affiliates and Information

Cincinnati: WKRC (CBS Channel 12)
Dayton: WKEF (ABC Channel 22)
Columbus: WSYX (ABC Channel 6)
Lima: WLIO (FOX Channel 8.2)
Lexington: WDKY (FOX Channel 56)
Louisville: WDRB (FOX Channel 41)

It wouldn't surprise me if some of the Fox Regional Sports Networks that Sinc;lair recently bought eventually get involved with the production of NFL preseason telecasts similar to how NBC Sports Washington is involved in producing Redskins preseason telecasts with WRC (i.e Fox Sports Ohio taking over some production responsibilities of the Bengals preseason telecasts from WKRC)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DirtyHarry said:

Not to be a party pooper, but it is adults 25 to 54. Kind of like when I tell my only nephew that he's my favorite.

Nevertheless, they are the station I tend to watch the most. So good job.

Adults 25-54 is the most important to the sales department, because it helps them with advertising rates.  People in that age range have the most disposable income.  Nevertheless, winning anything in the July book is about as meaningful as winning a preseason NFL game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, effseesee said:

Adults 25-54 is the most important to the sales department, because it helps them with advertising rates.  People in that age range have the most disposable income.  Nevertheless, winning anything in the July book is about as meaningful as winning a preseason NFL game.

While that statement may be true however the way I look at it, all of the stuff going on at WBNS (including what happened today with Mike Davis) is starting to catch up to 10TV. Don't be surprised if WSYX overtakes 10TV's ratings spot in additional time slots moving forward.

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

Not sure when this happened (it had to be recent), but it appears that West Palm Beach's WPEC is now producing Gainesville's CBS 4 newscasts. Prior to that, it was produced out of Little Rock. 

Check out the latest broadcast here. They're in that studio formerly used by the now-defunct American Sports Network, also Channel 12 used it as a temp studio for several months last year.

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

Not sure when this happened (it had to be recent), but it appears that West Palm Beach's WPEC is now producing Gainesville's CBS 4 newscasts. Prior to that, it was produced out of Little Rock. 

Check out the latest broadcast here. They're in that studio formerly used by the now-defunct American Sports Network, also Channel 12 used it as a temp studio for several months last year.

Their INN contract must have ran out and decided to bring news "in house" like Toledo and Wilkes-Barre getting news from South Bend.

• Like 1

I mentioned this in the Gray graphics thread:  I'm watching the Fox News at 10 on WRLH - produced by WWBT - and they're now using the graphics package that are currently on WDBJ7, WITN and others. I'm not kidding. Gray Television graphics on a Sinclair station. Remember, WWBT has a news-share agreement with WRLH (it started in 1994). Also, Gari's Daily News package is out (FINALLY!!) and 615 Music's The Sinclair News Package (the Curves version) is in! Just a few months ago, WWBT began broadcasting WRLH's newscasts from its news set. Unfortunately, the 10pm and the morning newscast at 7am (Fox Richmond Morning News) doesn't stream on WRLH's website nor WWBT's.

Edited by tw-804

29 minutes ago, tw-804 said:

I mentioned this in the Gray thread:  I'm watching the Fox News at 10 on WRLH - produced by WWBT - and they're now using the graphics package that are currently on WDBJ7, WITN and others. I'm not kidding. Gray Television graphics on a Sinclair station. Remember, WWBT has a news-share agreement with WRLH (it started in 1994). Also, Gari's Daily News package is out (FINALLY!!) and 615 Music's The Sinclair News Package (the Curves version) is in! Just a few months ago, WWBT began broadcasting WRLH's newscasts from its news set. Unfortunately, the 10pm and the morning newscast at 7am (Fox Richmond Morning News) doesn't stream on WRLH's website nor WWBT's.

I wonder how much longer that agreement will last. Gray and Sinclair aren't exactly friends.