Sinclair Broadcast Group - General Discussion

Smitha A

• 3 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, LoadStar said:

Fox Business reports that at the close of the auction, at least for now, Sinclair appears to be the top bidder for the Fox Regional Sports Channels:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/media/sinclair-broadcasting-nears-10-billion-deal-for-21st-century-foxs-regional-sports-networks

Is it fair to say that Sinclair's strength is in Sports or are they just weak in all areas? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

I don't think they'll bring back ASN if anything Sinclair might convert the networks to "Stadium Sports Net" or something like that, and besides isn't there a clause that says that the RSNs have to keep the Fox name, etc. for a certain amount of time like there is in Mexico and Brazil?

1 hour ago, oknewsguy said:

Is it fair to say that Sinclair's strength is in Sports or are they just weak in all areas? 

I agree with that. They do a good job with coverage of high school football, many of their Thursday Night Lights and Friday Night Rivals games air on Stadium.

I'm sure eventually,  IF Sinclair prevails, they will keep the FOX names on the channels as long as they have to, and likely change them to something else like Stadium or ASN.... Sinclair Sports perhaps?

This could be the beginning of a major shift, now that FOX is out of the game, and New Fox doesn't want any part of it.  But the regulatory headwinds against them and their penny pinching...er...inbred content will keep them on the sidelines.  They could have out-muscled the networks they affiliated with, but that ship sailed away when they blew it with the Tribune deal....

19 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I'm sure eventually,  IF Sinclair prevails, they will keep the FOX names on the channels as long as they have to, and likely change them to something else like Stadium or ASN.... Sinclair Sports perhaps?

This could be the beginning of a major shift, now that FOX is out of the game, and New Fox doesn't want any part of it.  But the regulatory headwinds against them and their penny pinching...er...inbred content will keep them on the sidelines.  They could have out-muscled the networks they affiliated with, but that ship sailed away when they blew it with the Tribune deal....

Sinclair buys Fox Network.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hmaxhanson said:

I agree with that. They do a good job with coverage of high school football, many of their Thursday Night Lights and Friday Night Rivals games air on Stadium.

And with quite a few of the Fox RSNs such as Southwest that emphasizes High School Sports coverage, I think Sinclair might actually do a decent job with running the RSNs. Disagree if you wish but they're the only company that I can name off that's in the running for this thing that can actually do a decent job at running the RSNs

17 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I think Stadium SportsNet would work or how about bringing back the Prime Network branding (or SportsChannel for that matter). I think the DOJ shouldn't have an issue with Sinclair running the RSNs in places where they also operate TV stations (especially given that Fox operated the RSNs alongside their O&Os) but given DOJ's behavior since Delhrim took over you never know what the DOJ might rule

1 minute ago, channel2 said:

Sinclair is gonna have to take on a shitload of debt in order to pull this off...

Hence why they've likely teamed up with Apollo (so far). They are aware of the debt they'll be taking on (as is Liberty Media) the only bidder that isn't aware of the debt load is Ice Cube because they want to add on more debt if they were successful with their bid

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2019 at 12:54 AM, oknewsguy said:

Hence why they've likely teamed up with Apollo (so far). They are aware of the debt they'll be taking on (as is Liberty Media) the only bidder that isn't aware of the debt load is Ice Cube because they want to add on more debt if they were successful with their bid

Not to mention Ice Cube also wanted to inject politics and culture into the channels. Which worked out so well for ESPN given the Jemele Hill controversy. No way in hell was Fox going to sell to someone that wasn't going to make the networks laser focused on sports.

Only questions remaining will come at least beginning tomorrow when the final deal is announced, whether or not the networks keep their master control in Houston (even though that city's teams now play on AT&T SportsNet's channel there) or move outright to Chicago, and whether or not the channels take on a regional identity (more on that in the Speculatron) or a blanket Stadium brand.

8 minutes ago, SS8609 said:

Not to mention Ice Cube also wanted to inject politics and culture into the channels. Which worked out so well for ESPN given the Jemele Hill controversy. No way in hell was Fox going to sell to someone that wasn't going to make the networks laser focused on sports.

Only questions remaining will come at least beginning tomorrow when the final deal is announced, whether or not the networks keep their master control in Houston (even though that city's teams now play on AT&T SportsNet's channel there) or move outright to Chicago, and whether or not the channels take on a regional identity (more on that in the Speculatron) or a blanket Stadium brand.

I'll go ahead and rename my existing speculatron thread on the former Fox RSNs. Please feel free to post in there

Edited by oknewsguy

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/2/2019 at 7:28 PM, SS8609 said:

Talk about $10 billion of debt to make it official...

Get ready for Stadium SportsNet. And don't be surprised if they work overtime to make the Stadium the primary .2 in all Sinclair markets (and drop the alternate feeds since the Stadium digital subchannels can serve as a backup) when ATSC 3.0 comes a-knockin'!

Will FSN be required to run Boris? I see it now. "Halftime with Boris."

• Like 1

On 5/30/2019 at 5:13 PM, MidwestTV said:

Will FSN be required to run Boris? I see it now. "Halftime with Boris."

image.png.4ffa2f5ed4d5f720ae74fc4f8d111bd9.png

I will be paying close attention to "Halftime With Boris"...

...in case there are any wardrobe malfunctions.

Edited by Eat News
Weki Meki - Picky Picky .. https://youtu.be/Ho7y6Dh_LS8
  • Like 1

Joe Crain from WICS in Springfield is fired after protesting Sinclair's insistence on using "Code Red" branding for their weather coverage. 

https://www.newsweek.com/joe-crain-springfield-illinois-weatherman-viral-video-code-red-weather-alerts-sinclair-1442776

Edited by Mrtraveler01

1 hour ago, Mrtraveler01 said:

Joe Crain from WICS in Springfield is fired after protesting Sinclair's insistence on using "Code Red" branding for their weather coverage. 

https://www.newsweek.com/joe-crain-springfield-illinois-weatherman-viral-video-code-red-weather-alerts-sinclair-1442776

Somehow, I don't see him out of a job for long. A rival station, or a station in another market, will probably hire him very quickly.

I don't think he's been fired just yet, but the response to his "suspension" has been growing...

https://www.sj-r.com/news/20190608/local-businesses-pull-ads-from-tv-20-in-support-of-joe-crain

Meanwhile, DirecTV and the Sinclair side-cars are doing a fine job in their retransmission negotiations.  It's been over a week now and no progress whatsoever.

If I had to point the finger, it would be of the license-holders.  Absentee broadcasters acting as stooges for their "parent company" who dropped the ball when it came time to re-up the contract.

How often does a retransmission fight come across with ZERO warning to the viewer?  And Sinclair can't do a thing about it because they have to leave it up to their pigeons...i mean "owners" of the stations they're operating.

And AT&T is doing a bang-up job too.  They finally got the trouble slides up for the affected channels after being in black (and still have a warning channel for a retrans fight that never happened almost TWO YEARS AGO!)

2 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I don't think he's been fired just yet, but the response to his "suspension" has been growing...

https://www.sj-r.com/news/20190608/local-businesses-pull-ads-from-tv-20-in-support-of-joe-crain

Meanwhile, DirecTV and the Sinclair side-cars are doing a fine job in their retransmission negotiations.  It's been over a week now and no progress whatsoever.

If I had to point the finger, it would be of the license-holders.  Absentee broadcasters acting as stooges for their "parent company" who dropped the ball when it came time to re-up the contract.

How often does a retransmission fight come across with ZERO warning to the viewer?  And Sinclair can't do a thing about it because they have to leave it up to their pigeons...i mean "owners" of the stations they're operating.

And AT&T is doing a bang-up job too.  They finally got the trouble slides up for the affected channels after being in black (and still have a warning channel for a retrans fight that never happened almost TWO YEARS AGO!)

I wonder if he even wants to go back there after all that has happened, although there is probably a 2 week notice rule, unless Sinclair is extra strict on self-termination.

That said, I can't see him off the market long enough for the non-compete to expire if WAND or WCIA wanted him.

Edited by GoldenShine9

They have handled this so poorly. They need to go on air and say something. It’s not going away. It’s actually getting worse and going wider. They are losing advertisers and likely viewers. CNN and FTV both say the company that used to sponsor the 7-day forecast is among the sponsors who have yanked their ads. One local business even offered the weatherman a new job if he has in fact been fired. Anyone know where WICS ranks in the market, ratings-wise?